• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scotland passes marriage equality bill 105 to 18 votes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25960225

Following on from England and Wales' legislation for Marriage Equality, the Scottish government has just passed it's own law on the subject.

Scotland started the process before England and Wales but has taken longer to get an outcome. That said, the provisions in the Scottish bill seem a bit more liberal than the English and Welsh version.

First marriages are expected as early as the Autumn, while the end of March will see England and Wales' first.

So three down, Northern Ireland, Irish Republic, Channel Islands, Faroe Islands and the Isle of Mann to go in North-West Europe...

NekoFever

Then how come it's only raining down south today?

screenshot2014-02-04aeeurp.png

I guess that's a good thing. Marriage is one of those things that I can't really bring myself to care much about.

And this is coming from someone whose (lesbian) aunt got married a couple of months ago.

Wow, no one's done this yet? It's scotland...

FRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

/melgibson-getting-fake-disemboweled-while-yelling-freedom-braveheart.gif

Looks like the world is coming around, but it's 2014, about time.

Scotland started the process before England and Wales but has taken longer to get an outcome. That said, the provisions in the Scottish bill seem a bit more liberal than the English and Welsh version.

That's because the English and Welsh version is fucking bullshit and literally calls out Gays as 2nd class citizens and says 'deal with it'.
Illegal for the Church of England to marry a same sex couple? Were they scared a future monarch might officially come out?

Scotland is Best Britain.

Seriously loved the place. I'd take it over England any damn day of the week.

(Though that's only tangential to this discussion.)

terrisus

Following on from England and Wales' legislation for Marriage Equality, the Scottish government has just passed it's own law on the subject.

First marriages are expected as early as the Autumn, while the end of March will see England and Wales' first.

So three down, Northern Ireland, Irish Republic, Channel Islands, Faroe Islands and the Isle of Mann to go in North-West Europe...

Granted, in Scotland's favour, it says they started the process first (but took longer to reach this conclusion), and it says the provisions are more liberal, but still...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I'm Scottish, but lived in England for many years. I love both. Scotland has the edge on countryside and "living" culture (much of which is very touristy), and is also more manageable in terms of travel, but honestly, you can't knock either as places to live. Bath and London being my favorite English cities.

I'm from Edinburgh, which is kind of a microcosm of those two English towns.

Granted, in Scotland's favour, it says they started the process first (but took longer to reach this conclusion), and it says the provisions are more liberal, but still...

That comment wasn't really related to the SSM argument (thus why I added the line in parentheses at the bottom). Just a random thought, really.

I will admit to being biased because I have quite a bit of Scottish ancestry.

Clegg

I don't look forward to this debate coming to Ireland. I think the majority of us are in favour of gay marriage, but there's a lot of hard line religious groups who've already set their stalls out in preparation for the referendum. The Iona Institute in particular are a rather loathsome bunch.

Trouble

Banned
I don't look forward to this debate coming to Ireland. I think the majority of us are in favour of gay marriage, but there's a lot of hard line religious groups who've already set their stalls out in preparation for the referendum. The Iona Institute in particular are a rather loathsome bunch.

I hope you guys can get it done. I have former co-workers in Dublin that deserve equal rights.

Clegg

I hope you guys can get it done. I have former co-workers in Dublin that deserve equal rights.
Oh no, don't get me wrong on this. I have no doubt that legislation on marriage equality for same sex couples will be passed. I'm just not looking forward to the anti gay marriage lobby starting their canvassing. Ireland is still a rather conservative country in some aspects. Ask a lot of Irish parliamentary members about their views on same sex marriage and they'll give as non committal an answer as you could find. Luckily enough they're not the ones deciding this.

In Ireland any change to the constitution can only be passed through plebiscite. So the public will have ultimate say in this. Unfortunately that means anti gay marriage groups will be given the opportunity to speak on television/public debates etc. Not too enthused about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom