• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicola Sturgeon: 2nd Independence Referendum IS on the table - supported by manifesto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hilarious thing about this is that my wife and I were literally in the process of filling out form MN1 to give my daughter UK citizenship - I have dual US and UK citizenship, was born and raised in Edinburgh.

That process costs around $1000 all told (although much less this morning, ironically), but now we're looking at the reduced value of becoming a citizen of a small isolated provincial backward little country instead of a citizen of Europe.

And to the Leave folks calling foul at accusations of racism this morning, I have no doubt that YOU personally are no racist, but if you're denying that racism and xenophobia energized and fueled the Leave campaign, then that blindness matches your understanding of economics.

Nigel Farage is the figurehead of that movement, officially or not.

If Trump won, we'd have the same indignant voters claiming racism played no part of it, and it would be just as embarrassing.

Khaz

Guys, guys,

If both the UK leaves the EU and Scotland leaves the UK, but wants to stay in the EU, what about this:
The UK part in which Scotland is stays in the EU, while the UK part containing England and Wales goes away.

Basically the Scottish referendum threats, but inverted. England and Wales get out of "the UK", Scotland stays in and stays in the EU. And change its name back to Scotland.

That way, Scotland never leaves the EU, there is no painful reentering process, and England and wales are happy doing their own thing anyway. Bonus, Scotland keeps all the agreements that were for the UK.

I'm sure Brussels can pulls some shenanigans like this if they want to.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Willie Rennie gave an interview during the Scottish election campaign where two pigs starting furiously fucking behind him.

That is all I can really say about Rennie. Guy is a fool.

Are you sure it was two pigs rather than one pig and a Prime Minister? Might be worth checking the footage to be sure.

ElFly

Guys, guys,

If both the UK leaves the EU and Scotland leaves the UK, but wants to stay in the EU, what about this:
The UK part in which Scotland is stays in the EU, while the UK part containing England and Wales goes away.

Basically the Scottish referendum threats, but inverted. England and Wales get out of "the UK", Scotland stays in and stays in the EU. And change its name back to Scotland.

That way, Scotland never leaves the EU, there is no painful reentering process, and England and wales are happy doing their own thing anyway. Bonus, Scotland keeps all the agreements that were for the UK.

I'm sure Brussels can pulls some shenanigans like this if they want to.

The EU would have to wave the UK contributions into the EU as being proportional to the size of Scotland (or the size of Scotland economy), and surely there are a ton of other gotchas.

There's also the part where the EU wants the UK to call chapter 50 (the formalities for EU withdrawal) as soon as possible, Cameron said he would quit around October and at that point the new PM would have to actually withdraw. It seems the EU considers this slow. The Scottish petition to remain in the EU with the treaties mostly untouched would have to happen before that, which means the second Independence Scottish referendum and then the UK negotiations would have to happen before October. This is not even considering whether Scotland adopts the Euro.

I'm hopeful that if Scotland goes independent, they'll now have an easier time joining the EU because of the UK pulling out.

Really unfortunate all around

Edit: Wait if Scotland becomes independent and then an EU member, maybe I can still get an EU passport.

My Dad was born in Scotland, I was born in England. I wonder if I'll have any rights to a Scottish passport?

Audioboxer

I'm hopeful that if Scotland goes independent, they'll now have an easier time joining the EU because of the UK pulling out.

Edit: Wait if Scotland becomes independent and then an EU member, maybe I can still get an EU passport.

My Dad was born in Scotland, I was born in England. I wonder if I'll have any rights to a Scottish passport?

Dress like this and declare your love of Buckfast and Scotland will give you anything you want

AKnqqrd.jpg

The referendum in Scotland had a higher turnout and larger gap of votes than the EU referendum.

Stats:

Scottish independence
stay - 55.3%
leave - 44.7%
turnout - 84.59%

EU referendum
stay - 48.1%
leave - 51.9%
turnout - 72.2%

If Scottish independence gets a second referendum, so should the EU referendum.
UK leaves EU.
Scotland leaves UK.
Scotland joins EU.
UK tries to rejoin EU.
Scotland votes No.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Will there be a higher tariff on Buckfast I wonder? Isn't it produced in England?

Mother of god we never thought this through...

But yeah, Buckfast Abbey is near Torquay if I remember. Visited years ago. First time I ever tried a bottle, they told me to chill it for hours before drinking. It wasn't bad. Buckfast cider is very good though.

Uzzy

I mean, it's nice to want things, but Westminster retains the constitutional power for any independence referendum, and they won't be in a hurry to give that up a second time.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Nicola Sturgeon may have the gift of the gab but honestly, good luck selling the idea of the Euro and Schengen to the majority of voters here.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nicola Sturgeon may have the gift of the gab but honestly, good luck selling the idea of the Euro and Schengen to the majority of voters here.

She won't have too. It will be a protest vote against the majority of northern England voting to leave the EU. That will be enough for the majority of Scots to vote to leave.

Hilarious thing about this is that my wife and I were literally in the process of filling out form MN1 to give my daughter UK citizenship - I have dual US and UK citizenship, was born and raised in Edinburgh.

That process costs around $1000 all told (although much less this morning, ironically), but now we're looking at the reduced value of becoming a citizen of a small isolated provincial backward little country instead of a citizen of Europe.

And to the Leave folks calling foul at accusations of racism this morning, I have no doubt that YOU personally are no racist, but if you're denying that racism and xenophobia energized and fueled the Leave campaign, then that blindness matches your understanding of economics.

Nigel Farage is the figurehead of that movement, officially or not.

If Trump won, we'd have the same indignant voters claiming racism played no part of it, and it would be just as embarrassing.

We had immigration long before the EU, it used to be fair too.

We used to treat everyone the same on merit rather than geological discrimination as well.

Racist as hell, obviously.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
She won't have too. It will be a protest vote against the majority of northern England voting to leave the EU. That will be enough for the majority of Scots to vote to leave.

If it was happening right now then I would 100% agree with you. A referendum would probably take place a couple of years from now though and by that time, things could be quite different both here in the UK and in the Eurozone. Either way, we have some interesting times ahead of us...

Busty

Banned
What happens when Prime Minister Boris (*shudder*) refuses to sanction a second Indy Referendum?

I see and awful lot of huffing and puffing in the SNP's future which, to be honest, would probably be easier for them than trying to kick start an independent Scotland that cannot rely on the money from oil anymore.

Constantly arguing that 'the man', basically whoever happens to be in Government at the time, is keeping them down. would keep them in power indefinitely without any of the stress and hassles of actually having to be 'the man' themselves in running an independent Scotland.

jem0208

You're not automatically Scottish but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to apply.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Hold a referendum without Westminster agreeing to it?

What would be the point?
While westminster can deny Scotland the result of its referendum, it won't for the same reason Cameron hasn't nullified the result of this referendum. It would be political turmoil.

Par Score

I mean, it's nice to want things, but Westminster retains the constitutional power for any independence referendum, and they won't be in a hurry to give that up a second time.
What happens when Prime Minister Boris (*shudder*) refuses to sanction a second Indy Referendum?

The principle of self determination is very firmly enshrined in international law.

No country of good standing, purporting to be a democracy and respecting the civil liberties of its citizens, would refuse the request of a portion of their population to seek independence.

Venom Fox

Banned
So wait. Scotland stays in the UK because they want to be in the EU (can't get an EU membership). Now wants to leave the UK but still can't get an EU membership? Makes sense.

Calderc

So wait. Scotland stays in the UK because they want to be in the EU (can't get an EU membership). Now wants to leave the UK but still can't get an EU membership? Makes sense.

Try the fact that we're a country that gets politically drowned out time and time again.

Cocaloch

You can come up with your own currency.

What's a good Scottish name for a currency?

Scotland had pounds before the Union as well.

The principle of self determination is very firmly enshrined in international law.

No country of good standing, purporting to be a democracy and respecting the civil liberties of its citizens, would refuse the request of a portion of their population to seek independence.

Spain

Nothing to do with what I said. You all stayed mostly because of EU membership. That's what I tried to say. If you leave you'll never get a membership.

That's because what you said makes no sense. The EU would absolutely let an independent Scotland in.

Mikeside

I live in South England just outside London and if this happens, I'll definitely consider moving to Scotland very seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom