• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicola Sturgeon: 2nd Independence Referendum IS on the table - supported by manifesto

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroLuffy

As an American, can someone from Scotland explain to me how you guys have remained relatively left wing and sane all of these years? Does the insane Rupert Murdoch media empire simply have no reach there or what? Because the propaganda has been pretty fucking successful in America, most of England, and Australia that's for sure.

Audioboxer

As an American, can someone from Scotland explain to me how you guys have remained relatively left wing and sane all of these years? Does the insane Rupert Murdoch media empire simply have no reach there or what? Because the propaganda has been pretty fucking successful in America, most of England, and Australia that's for sure.

We've most always been anti-Tory party. The rise of the SNP mostly came about from Labour wrecking the country and then the Conservatives wrecking the country and us getting fed up. Scotland is quite good at caring for the disabled, sick, poor and wanting an NHS. Since our Government has given us free education, free prescriptions and other things we're relatively happy supporting a pro-person Government rather than one shafted in tradition like Westminster with its etiquette/House of Lords, rich boys and pro big government/corporate attitude.

London is pretty much corrupt to the core and has been controlling England, let alone Scotland for too long. In some regards this was the English people hitting back at London, but the sad thing is the fallout to using this vote to attack London is like voting in Trump to give a FU to the American political system. The fallout just isn't worth it. These millionaires (Cameron) can bolt from this and kick back on a boat somewhere, while the average working person who gave the FU to London is the one likely to suffer without the EU. Especially on the workers rights issues if England continue to vote in a Tory cut happy party. You see how they treat the disabled now, so you have to wonder what is next for the workers without the EU? Everyone on 0 hour contracts? lol...

Edit: I forgot to say as for media/Rupert Murdoch, the Scottish indy ref opened all of our eyes to the corruption in the mainstream media. The bias and lies might have tripped up some Scots, but we banded together after the vow was broken and other shit and realised how bad it all is. Lots of those in England still seem to lap up the fear headlines. Don't blame your precious Westminster/London/Royal Family, but immigrants, the poor and now the EU.

This generation of voters were burned massively by Thatcher in the eighties.

People remember and their kids know too.

Tory is still a dirty word here for the majority.

There is also the sense that we are fighting against the Westminster establishment which obviously harbours a strong sense of justice and fairness (perceived or real).

Murdoch and big media is seen as just another extension of British and English arrogance that usually seeks to undermine Scotland's nation status and problems. It therefore has little credibility in the main.

Left wing roots are strong here. We are a tiny nation with a global outlook that historically feels a connection to left wing causes all over the world like the Irish, Palestinian and South African struggles.

That's my reading of it anyway, completely subjective of course.

Don't be fooled though, there are plenty of right wingers here too. They just aren't the majority, yet.

Audioboxer

There is also the sense that we are fighting against the Westminster establishment which obviously harbours a strong sense of justice and fairness (perceived or real).

Murdoch and big media is seen as just another extension of British and English arrogance that usually seeks to undermine Scotland's nation status and problems. It therefore has little credibility in the main.

Left wing roots are strong here. We are a tiny nation with a global outlook that historically feels a connection to left wing causes all over the world like the Irish, Palestinian and South African struggles.

Don't be fooled though, there are plenty of right wingers here too. They just aren't the majority, yet.

Mostly "farmers"... I moved to South Ayrshire from South Lanarkshire this year. Little did I know Ayrshire was one of the few places that just voted Tory in the GE. Always been a stronghold here. Glad to see this year the vote only had hundreds in it. SNP came close. Big student population so it's probably continuing to eat away at the older Conservative generation.

But yeah this is farmer land, and most of them are Pro country/union and Queen. Still I was happy to see South Ayrshire obviously vote remain for the EU.

If labour hadn't completely shat the bed you'd probably still have some challenge to SNP up here.

Mikeside

We'd be happy to have you.

I'm not kidding either.

Spent a bit of time in Glasgow and Aberdeen and have been around Sterling a fair bit with work, plus when I visited Edinburgh last year I fell in love with that too.

If the fiance and I can find work up there, and assuming we can sell the house we've just bought in 18 months or so (so long as we get in before it's too late!) we'll certainly be looking to defect with you noble fellows.

edit: plus the 2 scot-gaffers I've met are fucking legends.

Stuart444

I'm not kidding either.

Spent a bit of time in Glasgow and Aberdeen and have been around Sterling a fair bit with work, plus when I visited Edinburgh last year I fell in love with that too.

If the fiance and I can find work up there, and assuming we can sell the house we've just bought in 18 months or so (so long as we get in before it's too late!) we'll certainly be looking to defect with you noble fellows.

I think I met you at EGX a few years back yeah?

Regardless, yeah, you'd be welcome up here :).

AfroLuffy

We've most always been anti-Tory party. The rise of the SNP mostly came about from Labour wrecking the country and then the Conservatives wrecking the country and us getting fed up. Scotland is quite good at caring for the disabled, sick, poor and wanting an NHS. Since our Government has given us free education, free prescriptions and other things we're relatively happy supporting a pro-person Government rather than one shafted in tradition like Westminster with its etiquette/House of Lords, rich boys and pro big government/corporate attitude.

London is pretty much corrupt to the core and has been controlling England, let alone Scotland for too long. In some regards this was the English people hitting back at London, but the sad thing is the fallout to using this vote to attack London is like voting in Trump to give a FU to the American political system. The fallout just isn't worth it. These millionaires (Cameron) can bolt from this and kick back on a boat somewhere, while the average working person who gave the FU to London is the one likely to suffer without the EU. Especially on the workers rights issues if England continue to vote in a Tory cut happy party. You see how they treat the disabled now, so you have to wonder what is next for the workers without the EU? Everyone on 0 hour contracts? lol...

Edit: I forgot to say as for media/Rupert Murdoch, the Scottish indy ref opened all of our eyes to the corruption in the mainstream media. The bias and lies might have tripped up some Scots, but we banded together after the vow was broken and other shit and realised how bad it all is. Lots of those in England still seem to lap up the fear headlines.

Thanks to you both. Very useful historical info and puts things into perspective.

Looks like the Daily Record is on board, which could be a big thing in the context of another referendum campaign.

It also feels significant after "The Vow" etc.

Clvt_e6WIAAXH3V.jpg

Audioboxer

Thanks to you both. Very useful historical info and puts things into perspective.

The big thing to keep in your mind is a lot of England are unhappy with London/conservatives as well. London is just a powerhouse though and when Scotland votes all SNP in a general election it makes it hard for Labour to beat the Conservatives in England alone. Labour are supposed to be the party to stand up to the Conservatives in the UK.

Audioboxer

Looks like the Daily Record is on board, which could be a big thing in the context of another referendum campaign.

It also feels significant after "The Vow" etc.

For neutrals watching maybe, but really the papers have had their day up here. Not many Scots are going to give a shit what they peddle, positive or negative.

For neutrals watching maybe, but really the papers have had their day up here. Not many Scots are going to give a shit what they peddle, positive or negative.

True but their print edition alone is still hitting 175k eyeballs every day which is fairly significant in an electorate of 3.6m or so.

Stuart444

You did indeed! And I completely forgot you were Scottish!
OK that makes 4.

Haha, ty. My memory isn't always so reliable which is why I asked XD. :p time goes by quickly and all.

If it makes you feel better. Most people who hear me talk don't seem to think I'm Scottish and usually ask "Are you from Canada/Australia/Ireland" lol

eizarus

Banned
I'm not kidding either.

Here come the immigrants.... just kidding. We'd love to have y'all. I might be bias because I'm Scottish, but we genuinely have the friendliest and most welcoming demographic (the Irish probably match us to some extent though) in the UK.
Page 3 style spread of Salmond promoting indyref 2.
I'd pay for that. Probably regret it, but I'd pay nonetheless.

goomba

Banned
If Scotland leaves the UK, the UK will no longer exist. England would go back to their old flag which would force countries like Australia and New Zealand to take the Union Jack off their flags.

Truely the end of an empire.

Mikeside

Here come the immigrants.... just kidding. We'd love to have y'all. I might be bias because I'm Scottish, but we genuinely have the friendliest and most welcoming demographic (the Irish probably match us to some extent though) in the UK.

The Scottish I've met absolutely confirm to this.

Yorkshire folk too, but then I was born here.

Cromwell

Banned
I live in South England just outside London and if this happens, I'll definitely consider moving to Scotland very seriously.

I live in California and I've wanted to move there ever since I visited in 09. Jaw droppingly beautiful countryside and Glasgow/Edinburgh are so much fun.

darkwing

Wait, if Scotland declares independence and gets accepted into the EU won't they have an influx of people from UK that wants to remain in the EU?

Moosichu

Everything thing there is correct except the Murdoch part.

The Scottish Sun (Murdoch owned) is the most widely read Scottish newspaper and the SNP have close ties to Murdoch.

Khaz

Wait, if Scotland declares independence and gets accepted into the EU won't they have an influx of people from UK that wants to remain in the EU?

They would, which is good as the typical brit moving back into the EU would be the educated kind.

Protome

Scotland to announce they're annexing Northern Ireland and parts of London.
I jokingly suggested on my Facebook feed that NI should vote to rejoin ROI, Scotland should vote for independence and then we should form some kind of Republic of Celts.

It went over really well, so I think that means I'm running for election now?

Yeah, probably. Scotland's economy is already heavily reliant on immigrants, we'll even take the English ones.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm just not certain if Scotland loves the EU all that much, and getting the Euro might be a deal-breaker - unless the Pound drops even further. Plus, it could take years before they rejoin the EU

Audioboxer

I'm just not certain if Scotland loves the EU all that much, and getting the Euro might be a deal-breaker - unless the Pound drops even further. Plus, it could take years before they rejoin the EU

The English already hate our pound notes. Maybe it's time us Scots get the Euro or our own currency lol.

If Scotland leaves the UK, the UK will no longer exist. England would go back to their old flag which would force countries like Australia and New Zealand to take the Union Jack off their flags.

Yep, it's an inevitable process now.
What a time to be alive.

Good riddance, a scourge and nothing more.

They still need Westminster approval. Which they won't get right now.

Are you sure about that?

I had heard rights to call a referendum where transferred as part of the negotiations after the last referendum.

Also if a Scottish parliament votes for it overwhelmingly, London's lack of approval (if required) will further expose the inequality of the UK and the lie that is devolved government.

kharma45

Are you sure about that?

I had heard rights to call a referendum where transferred as part of the negotiations after the last referendum.

Also if a Scottish parliament votes for it overwhelmingly, London's lack of approval (if required) will further expose the inequality of the UK and the lie that is devolved government.

Yes. They only have power to legislate for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom