• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurlyW

I'm not a Smash guy so I could be wrong, but isn't it weird for Smash 4 to outdo Melee? I thought Melee was the bigger one?

No, the community sizes are approximately the same.

Melee gets more people than Smash 4 at legacy Melee tournaments (Genesis 3, The Big House 5, Pound 2016)

Smash 4 gets more people than Melee at FGC events (Evo, CEO) and newer events (Super Smash Con).

A lot of it comes down to who is in charge of a tournament. If the head TO is a Melee lifer, Melee will draw more. Otherwise, Smash 4 will probably draw more.

In Germany PT has the same initials, but it doesn't stand for Pokken Tournament

597504_front.jpg

(Pokken means smallpox in German)

Kumubou

Uh Tekken uses the buffer because it uses frame delay netcode not rollback...

Jesus Christ Crapcom.
From a design standpoint, you probably want to have a frame or two of baked-in input delay to make offline and online play more consistent, even with a rollback-based system (as it helps cut down on rollbacks online significantly). However, you still have to be mindful of the overall experience or else the game starts to feel sluggish.

IIRC, the new KI intentionally has two frames of input delay for that purpose -- but it works out as the game only has five total frames of input delay.

The real issue here is that SF5 has eight frames of input delay AND it's not being used to help with the netcode, as a lot of the delay is due to their completely fucked vsync implementation. That's where the real fuck-up is, IMO.

Line_HTX

either Xrd made it or Marvel is truly dead

Xrd made it and is still movin' on up.

-Penalty kick
-Penalty kill
-PK Subban

PK Subban is washed up.

:p

In Germany PT has the same initials, but it doesn't stand for Pokken Tournament

(Pokken means smallpox in German)
In Dutch too, but they didn't change the title over here~

Oh wow, that's hilarious. It's like playing a diseased game, haha

BadWolf

Are Capcom hard to work with? I recall hearing that SNK was unhappy with the CvS and SvC crossover deals but I'm not sure that's substantiated.

From what I remember hearing:

1. Capcom received most of the profits from that deal.

2. SNK was in a really bad spot financially when SNK v. Capcom: Chaos was being developed and the time on their deal with Capcom was running out so they asked Capcom to give them an extension to finish the game but Capcom refused. So SNK had to rush out the game as fast as possible. This really soured the relationship between the two companies iirc.

pixelish

so i just got this email from the liquipedia team and it seems they have finally launched a liquipedia for the fgc. if anyone wants to help out in expanding the wiki, please sign up! i think this is a very good project for the community as it will help promote the scene to the casual audience as well as a good aggregation of fgc-related data for everyone to utilise.

It’s here! http://wiki.teamliquid.net/fighters/

To start editing you just need to log in to the wiki, you do this with your teamliquid.net account, if you don't have one yet you'll need to register one here http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/register

We have started the process of setting up the needed back-end templates and are now working on making a structure for all the games. The FGC is a big cluster of games and we’ve tried to list most of the ones that have been played competitively here: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/fighters/Fighting_Games Feel free to add any that is missing, or rearrange if you think the structure can be improved upon, it is a wiki after all so if you see something you want to improve, go for it.

The first thing we (as in staff) are working on now is getting things ready for the tournament pages and player pages, we’ll soon also prepare the things for the character pages.

On smash we use icons (heads) to show which characters were played during a set - this is something we’d like to have for the Fighting Game Wiki too. So if we have all the character lists for all the games that would make creating the templates needed a bit easier.

Other than that starting on Player (Both current and retired), Team and Tournament pages (old as well as new) would be nice. Our initial hope would be to get pages setup for DreamHack Summer this weekend (SFV, Mortal Kombat, Pokken). High priority historical events are Evolution (obviously), Capcom Pro Tour, ESL Mortal Kombat Pro League and Tekken Tour.

We have set up very early pages for Justin Wong, Evil Geniuses, Combo Breaker - Street Fighter V and Street Fighter V. You can use these pages as rough templates for players, teams, tournaments and games.

Kumubou

so i just got this email from the liquipedia team and it seems they have finally launched a liquipedia for the fgc. if anyone wants to help out in expanding the wiki, please sign up! i think this is a very good project for the community as it will help promote the scene to the casual audience as well as a good aggregation of fgc-related data for everyone to utilise.
Is it good for the community? Or is it good for Team Liquid's SEO and site revenue?
That's certainly not it, as anything related to fighting games and e-sports is a money pit and will continue to be until the genre is led by a competent publisher and developer.

Maybe it's just me getting old and cynical, but I'm getting tired of companies trying to leverage the passion for a given community for their own gains.

Malice215

I don't know if anyone saw this yesterday, this is a good Q&A with Harada from Gamespot.

They want Capcom to succeed with SFV too just so they can bring TxSF back from limbo again.

My guess is that they wanted Capcom to succeed with SFxT instead the turd that they dropped. SFV was on nobody's radar at the time both of these projects were announced, and Namco moved on to work on other things.

Now we have Capcom dropping another turd with SFV, so who knows whether Capcom can turn that trainwreck. In the meantime, we have Akuma to warm people up to the concept, so it will be interesting to see how well people come to accept him in the game once it drops in arcades next month.

I wouldn't mind seeing TxSF come out one day, but I need a new Soulcalibur game before that happens.

The Street Fighter V story mode should've just been a story about how the street fighters have to enter a martial arts tournament to save the teen center from Shadowloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom