• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Numb

When all of civilization has collapsed, there will still be people trying to get CRTVs for some Melee.

EVO
21XX

ZVd7B.jpg

Melee players still go on their yearly journey to battle each other
They seem to not care about the nuclear war that destroyed most of the civilized world decades ago

Watching MvC:I being playing by more high level folks, I'm starting to understand why Arc System Works separates their combo breaker mechanics from the primary meter.

This FChamp exhibition is triggering me. Reminds me too much of when JWong took Bison and beat the crud out of ComboFiend in SFV, and then ComboFiend nerfed Bison into the ground. Now I'm watching FChamp work him with Dormammu. -_-

Dahbomb

That Stone tournament is hilarious!

Here are some key rules about the Stones in a nutshell (copied from the other thread):

*EVO champions cannot win stones at the 6 events. The next best player wins the stone.

*Each player can only bring one stone to the finals. So if you have won multiple stones, then you get to choose one and the next best player gets the stone. In the event of ties, a special 3/5 set will be played to determine stone owner.

*During the actual finals.... if you have a stone and you lose... the opponent gets your stone!!!! At this stage even EVO players can win stones!

*It's actually possible to have multiple stones during the later stages of the finals but only 2 can be used in one set at one time.

*This means that in the grand finals... the two players will have 3 stones each!

And then the final player will have all 6 stones!!!

This FChamp exhibition is triggering me. Reminds me too much of when JWong took Bison and beat the crud out of ComboFiend in SFV, and then ComboFiend nerfed Bison into the ground. Now I'm watching FChamp work him with Dormammu. -_-
That's such a poor example to bring up. That build was hella old and the direction of the game at that point was different from what it is now. That Bison was going to be nerfed regardless because that's not the type of game they were making. Far less powerful characters were nerfed (like Ryu, Ken and Chun) to the new power level of the game.

In this case, the GAME IS ALREADY OUT and you can play Dorm right now who is that powerful. If Dorm gets nerfed it would be due to FChamp's own performance at tournaments, not him beating up on Combofiend in some random exhibition match

Kumubou

"I use the reality stone to change the tournament game to Hisoutensoku, confusing every other competitor!:
And then I would be that guy in the back booing and wondering why they didn't go with Immaterial and Missing Power instead.

That sounds like the sort of format Keits would have run if he was still TOing events. Sounds like it would be a "fun" concept (and by fun I mean excruciating the second someone picks a game like Time Killers or Toshinden Subaru).

Sayad

I see this type of complaint a lot, do people really think that's how games get balanced?! So, in this example, Bison got nerfed because Justin beat Combo with him in one set at E3 while playing an already outdated build?! Like, what about Ryu who was under performing in those exhibitions, and was still getting nerfed more with every version while people were crying about how ass he was with every beta only for mega nerfed Ryu to end up being top tier!

I mean, look at how many meterless special moves are spammable and are plus on block right now in SFV, do you really believe that version of Bison would have made it into the game if Justin didn't beat Combo at E3?!!

mbpm1

I see this type of complaint a lot, do people really think that's how games get balanced?! So, in this example, Bison got nerfed because Justin beat Combo with him in one set at E3 while playing an already outdated build?! Like, what about Ryu who was under performing in those exhibitions, and was still getting nerfed more with every version while people were crying about how ass he was with every beta only for mega nerfed Ryu to end up being top tier!

I mean, look at how many meterless special moves are spammable and are plus on block right now in SFV, do you really believe that version of Bison would have made it into the game if Justin didn't beat Combo at E3?!!

Karst is protective of dat bipson

I'm mostly joking, but you'd be crazy to think that ComboFiend isn't the reason why half of the cast has a command grab.

Sayad

I'm mostly joking, but you'd be crazy to think that ComboFiend isn't the reason why half of the cast has a command grab.
Lol, never put it together but looking back at his teams in MvC, KoFXIII, SFxT... Maybe he is! Though I doubt he had that much of an influence on SFV. How are command grabs in MvCI?

Tripon

There was a new game that sorta looked like Virtual On made by Sega revealed at the Sony conference mixed with A certian magical index characters, which is an anime series. I don't know how to feel about this.

shaowebb

I think shaowebb might like this:
Now THATS what Im talking about! So many airdash with assist mixups. Pressure for days and tons of assist extensions and blockstrings.
So good.
Hopefully we see new shit in mvci tourneys soon other than onesy twosy new moments. I wanna see the tag setups get as wild as assist strats. Either way its nice knowing that so many tag fighters are hitting to dominate tourneys. They Always have the best streams. Even nitroplus is nuts to watch. Tag fighter fgc domination incoming.

shaowebb

how tf does the game look this hype, this early? It'll be amazing once folks start maximizing combos.
Technically I dont think its early in its development. It was kept under wraps a few years as they worked on it from what that huge thread said at one point. Its only now being shown is all. The time and polish shows if this story is true. If its a bs rumor though...DAMN. Theyre pipeline aint an easy one and its a ton of extra work. If they did all this without the rumored dev time prior to its reveal i am stunned.

Lol, never put it together but looking back at his teams in MvC, KoFXIII, SFxT... Maybe he is! Though I doubt he had that much of an influence on SFV. How are command grabs in MvCI?
Soul Stone means you can give ANY character a command grab!

Lol at thinking capcom USA has any significant say in design or balance
Why flaunt your ignorance? Seth Killian had monumental input in SFIV and MvC3. When people asked Niitsuma why Jill got nerfed in Ultimate, he said "I don't know. If Seth Killian tells us to make a change, we just do it." ComboFiend took on his role, and it would be crazy to think he doesn't have input into these games.

Dahbomb

Command grabs are ok in MVCI. They scale heavily but tag system means there are some OSes you can potentially exploit.

The ranges on them vary greatly too. Haggar's aerial command grab is like quarter of the screen where as Nemesis's anti air grab practically clips through the opponent and still misses. There is also variability in who gets a solo combo off of command throw or not.

LVL3 grabs are very powerful though because they are instant and do like 60% damage which is the default BNB damage in the game.

Mind Stone command grab is the weakest surge ability in the game right now because it doesn't help with the neutral at all where as the others do in some capacity. But giving a non grab character a command grab is still potent.

Tizoc

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute
Are the themes in UMvC3 slightly altered from MvC3? I'm listening to Sentinel's theme and they have differing tempos.

Top Bottom