• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Skab

So I just realized today that my work schedule opened up just enough that I can go to combobreaker. Any hotels I should avoid? First time at the event and Chicago in general.

The main event one is sold out, so I'm having to look at the other ones around the venue.

Dahbomb

I've recently read about the importance of designing fighting games around console controllers since most fighting games are utilized on that platform.

This was mainly talked about with Infinite, but I'm still not sure exactly what it means. I just know Capcom said they wanted to make the game's layout so people won't feel like they need an Arcade Joystick to play efficiently. I don't recall the previous layout for MVC3 really making a difference either way, since there were great players on both ends.

We know Street Fighter is generally designed with the classic Arcade layout (six buttons), and KOF, Tekken, and GG basically have retained the same layouts forever. What games can really be classified as being designed specifically for console Gamepads? I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to understanding this stuff, so I need some expertise.
NRS games are designed around consoles and pads.

You can tell because their QCF equivalent inputs are just down, forward which is easier on D pad. Their button layouts are also pad friendly.

Smash is another example. It'z specifically designed to be played on the Nintendo game pad.

Kumubou

GB is one of those big media places that finally gives FG's proper coverage, huh. Maybe not in writing, but at least in talking about it.
Is it wrong for me to admit that I enjoyed Giant Bomb's coverage of UNIEL and N+B? Even if it was in the context of "holy crap these games are anime as all hell and we have no idea what's going on"... it's still more coverage than 98% of sites would give those games.

We know Street Fighter is generally designed with the classic Arcade layout (six buttons), and KOF, Tekken, and GG basically have retained the same layouts forever. What games can really be classified as being designed specifically for console Gamepads? I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to understanding this stuff, so I need some expertise.
Not specifically around controllers, but I know the original versions of Melty Blood and Akatsuki Blitzkampf were designed with keyboard play in mind. Namely, this means that everything was designed with only having to hit one directional input and one button at a time. Even with Melty having DP motions, in the original versions they could be input as forward, down. The game didn't gain any multi-button commands until the arcade version (the game used to have one button throws and used 222D as its original Heat input).

there was a hella poverty pc fighting game called little fighter 2 where all the command inputs (controls were directional arrows, attack, jump, defend) were D,(direction or jump),A

Beckx

Spooky is streaming a GG Xrd Rev2 tourney from Japan. Matches start in about 15 mins.

Actually its starts with finals - and then marvel, kof and sfv after that

So I just realized today that my work schedule opened up just enough that I can go to combobreaker. Any hotels I should avoid? First time at the event and Chicago in general.

The main event one is sold out, so I'm having to look at the other ones around the venue.

I really recommend staying at he main venue. When I went, I posted on SRK asking if anyone who already had a room wanted a roommate to save on costs, and I got an offer right away. We split the room evenly, I slept there and nothing else, and I was happy with my decision. There's something magical about waking up in the morning, taking an elevator downstairs, and seeing setups everywhere. Like Christmas.

Line_HTX

I started playing and learning Tekken on pad. After a whileI got fed up with hurting my left thumb and tried learning stick. It took me a couple of months but finally never went back to pad ever again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just wondering if anyone here has seen the Daigo documentary Living the Game? Have a chance to watch it, but not sure if I should head out for it.

So I guess to answer my own question, I ended up watching this tonight, and while reviewers (who probably don't follow fighting games) kind of billed it as a Daigo documentary, it really ended up being about Momochi and his life through 2015.

Yes, the director had moments with Luffy, Jwong, and Gamerbee (he actually caught Gamerbee right after the 2015 loss), but I think he realized he found an interesting story in Momochi's "arc" and his desire to be better, or at least as popular, than Daigo. Of course, his relationship with ChocoBlanka ended up probably making his arc interesting, since you see him go from the standard Japanese boyfriend (ie, he sits around and waits for her to make his meals while he plays games) and "srsbsns" gamer who yells at her for not hitting frame perfect traps and whatnot, to losing him losing Capcom Cup 2015 and refocusing his life, culminating with his proposal and marriage.

It's not really necessary viewing by any means, but as a mostly casual following of pro Street Fighter tournaments, it was interesting to see behind the curtain - in part because of how little we seem to get about the Japanese players (I think every American player has a documentary about them by now lol).

Oh yeah, it was kind of amazing watching the Poongko shirt moment in the middle of the movie on a big screen. There was absolutely no context and I'm sure there were people in the audience that had no idea what was going on. lol

mbpm1

So I guess to answer my own question, I ended up watching this tonight, and while reviewers (who probably don't follow fighting games) kind of billed it as a Daigo documentary, it really ended up being about Momochi and his life through 2015.

Yes, the director had moments with Luffy, Jwong, and Gamerbee (he actually caught Gamerbee right after the 2015 loss), but I think he realized he found an interesting story in Momochi's "arc" and his desire to be better, or at least as popular, than Daigo. Of course, his relationship with ChocoBlanka ended up probably making his arc interesting, since you see him go from the standard Japanese boyfriend (ie, he sits around and waits for her to make his meals while he plays games) and "srsbsns" gamer who yells at her for not hitting frame perfect traps and whatnot, to losing him losing Capcom Cup 2015 and refocusing his life, culminating with his proposal and marriage.

It's not really necessary viewing by any means, but as a mostly casual following of pro Street Fighter tournaments, it was interesting to see behind the curtain - in part because of how little we seem to get about the Japanese players (I think every American player has a documentary about them by now lol).

Oh yeah, it was kind of amazing watching the Poongko shirt moment in the middle of the movie on a big screen. There was absolutely no context and I'm sure there were people in the audience that had no idea what was going on. lol

I heard good things about this. Didn't know he changed focus like that in the film though, cool

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I heard good things about this. Didn't know he changed focus like that in the film though, cool
It was funny, in a brief Q&A after the film, the director was asked how he got started and he said that he was watching Daigo on youtube and noticed that he had no sense of fun in his eyes while playing and that interested him. lol

I actually asked him about Momochi, since it felt like he was more interested in telling that story than Daigo's (all the Daigo bits are kind of standard/boring... how many times do you need to hear about Evo Moment 37?) and he said Momochi was more interesting because he couldn't admit his vulnerabilities as a person/player, and that arc ended up being more interesting to him.

The other brief portraits were interesting. You see Gamerbee bring offerings to his dad's little shrine at the temple, and Luffy working at his day job because he doesn't want to embarrass his parents by being a progamer, but it just turned into a version of King of Kong starring Momochi and Daigo.

So does anyone know if buying Xrd Rev 2 on release will be cheaper than buying Xrd Rev now and upgrading? Watching KSB made me want to finally try this series out.

Sayad

So does anyone know if buying Xrd Rev 2 on release will be cheaper than buying Xrd Rev now and upgrading? Watching KSB made me want to finally try this series out.
If you can find it under $20 it will be cheaper.
- Full game is $40
- Upgrade is $20
Ignore the DLC characters since Rev2/update has them all.

Guardians 2 was even worse than the first. What a boring slog.
Do you enjoy watching movies that doesn't cater to your taste or do you get dragged into watching them?! ;p

vulva

Why do you keep watching shitty super hero movies?
I go with coworkers and don't pay to see them. It's entirely social, if I wasn't seeing them with a group I wouldn't bother

Edit:

Sayad: I'll give everything a fair chance and I see something close to 15 movies a month in theaters. Most things don't cater to my tastes but sometimes something surprises me.

Why do you keep watching shitty super hero movies?

Because he needs to be able to keep up his paper thin film critic persona. Who just goes with co-worker's to midnight releases of films they don't want to see & gets it payed for? Vulva is a smelly dude, not a cute girl, no way anyone is paying to have him sit nect to them.

vulva

Because he needs to be able to keep up his paper thin film critic persona. Who just goes with co-worker's to midnight releases of films they don't want to see & gets it payed for? Vulva is a smelly dude, not a cute girl, no way anyone is paying to have him sit nect to them.

Who said someone else pays for it? I use moviepass because I'm not a moron.

Line_HTX

579f4ac195f9ccf3cb49c12edb8835ef.png

pizzacat

Banned
The upside is that they aren't using CFN.
Why?

This is where capcom double downs on their system and actually makes it work.

Like CFN as an idea is cool, all those stats right there, can watch a replay of anybody, etc

All that reworking, calling it "Capcom Fighter Network" and only using it on one game? It's just weird

Pompadour

Why?

This is where capcom double downs on their system and actually makes it work.

Like CFN as an idea is cool, all those stats right there, can watch a replay of anybody, etc

All that reworking, calling it "Capcom Fighter Network" and only using it on one game? It's just weird

I thought the same but I'm not sure I trust Capcom to get it working in time for MvCI.

We know that MvCI will use Sony and Microsoft servers for their respective platforms so I'm guessing CFN was designed to be used for the third party servers that allowed crossplay. Since crossplay can't happen for MvCI anyway then Capcom felt it would be wiser to let Sony and Microsoft handle all of this.

At least there won't be constant maintenances.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought the same but I'm not sure I trust Capcom to get it working in time for MvCI.

We know that MvCI will use Sony and Microsoft servers for their respective platforms so I'm guessing CFN was designed to be used for the third party servers that allowed crossplay. Since crossplay can't happen for MvCI anyway then Capcom felt it would be wiser to let Sony and Microsoft handle all of this.

At least there won't be constant maintenances.
While I think there's a difference between the servers used for matchmaking and the service or other features layered on top, I do think this is how they attacked it.

I think it's worse in the long run for Capcom. Like SFV and MvC3, they're not building on prior successes and just looking at the shortcomings as a justification to start from scratch again. But I think people also need to consider that these are different projects undertaken by different studios, even if the publisher is the same. It's not like Bungie reusing and improving netcode for a sequel, it'd be akin to Bungie giving their netcode to Ensemble to work on Age of Empires or something.

Then again, I think there's a good argument that what's in SFV is flawed fundamentally with how it handles patching and updating the servers and whatnot, but I don't know enough about that.

To this day, I can't believe Capcom hasn't gotten their shit together on this. It's absurd. They're still flopping from one underperforming, short-term online solution to another, and have been doing so for years upon years.

Top Bottom