• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ah, I see.

Also, R. Mika tag is the 7 colored bomber.

CNcZB6oUAAALk_n.png

I just realized that her hairs is longer now, compare to Alpha version.

Same. I disappeared for a pretty long while. Stayed on Test Your Might mainly. Even if its "jokey" it still effectively shut out any conversations fast that were happening on various titles. Some games would just get mocked out of the main conversations "jokingly" till folks could go back to talking about non anime fighters. Honestly this used to be the way Smash Bros was treated too up until around when it competed with Skullgirls to get back into EVO with a fund raising race and the resurgence hit.
SG died, so that Smash could finally integrate with the FGC and it was a valid trade. Gotta say that I practically lost all interest in fighters outside of netplay and locals at that point unfortunately. SFV is the most hype thing since that research drive and the SG IGG campaign.

shaowebb

I'm not about to dig up 4 years of pointless complaining post. You've changed its in the past we are just discussing said past.
Agreed. We've all grown. I know I certainly am not the same guy I was when I first arrived. Hell I've even sent Beardo multiple PM's on software over the years in hopes he'll follow his gaming passion into making his own game someday too. We all say things, but we all grow up.
SG died, so that Smash could finally integrate with the FGC and it was a valid trade.

Also agreed...I was so tired of hearing folks run the whole "smash isn't a fighting game" line. That and "fuck anime" both hurt us all in my opinion.
Doesn't matter what this thread was though. Now it has to figure out what it is going to be. So many conversations were "joked" out of play that many really good topics and such got snuffed out of the thread in their infancies. So many that it probably accounted for why the only activity after awhile was just folks off topic cornballing around. For awhile, I'd considered trying to do an Anime FGW thing, but in the end I knew that I just don't keep up with streams enough to offer much to folks and since I was already having to leave Test Your Might which I was heavily vested in due to my busy life (and an obvious conflict of interests), it was an idea that I just had to let go.

Talk about everything. Promote news of who did what and where in ANY scene, and try to put forth a better face is all I think we can do at this point. No matter where the thread ends up, these things would help keep it full of content and allow more folks to gain an interest in the thread and join it compared to how things were.

I guess thats all I had to say at this point. I got work in 6 hours so I need to sleep. Good luck folks.

Busaiku

We can still make some good of this situation, provided we put in the effort.

We're encouraged to make new threads on tournaments, player news, patch information, and so on.
Now I'm not saying we should (or can) make new threads for every little local or every time FChamp is a jerk or something, but there are lots of things we can create new threads for, but we keep in here.
Like we never make new threads for Big E events, despite them being bigger events and having international presence. We rarely have threads about international tournaments, and almost never if they're not playing Capcom games (I'm actually gonna contradict this later, but whatever).

Now take a look at how proactive the Super Smash Bros community has been.
They make threads for players getting sponsored, players putting up bounties, and lots of smaller tournaments as well. These new threads draw in lots of new people, most I never see here. Maybe they're all in the Super Smash Bros. thread, I dunno, but we can clearly see the effect of those.

So basically, someone make a thread for Summer Jam or something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MKX on its own, I get why it's slowed down. But all fighting games under one banner? I'm not sure that the argument for staying in gaming is that this thread needs a crutch to survive. Maybe I'm not understanding the argument being made here.

Yeah, I don't think being in gaming side as a crutch is necessarily why this thread should be there. Right now this weekly thread has elements of both Gaming and Community, and if it were moved permanently to Community, then I would expect that aspect of it to take over.

That is not necessarily what I use the thread for, however. Most of the time I come into this thread is when I see it on the main page and wonder if there's any new news. As far as I can tell, my posting habits in this thread are mostly news/discussion related and not community related, although the line is really blurred in this case as they are very much intertwined and connected.

I see it like this: would you put every weeky Jimquisition thread or Final Bosman (although they usually just post them in the Final Bosman thread which is still in gaming side) or Last Week Tonight segment thread into one megathread and tell them to keep it in Community? I don't think I would.

This thread is more signal than noise. Especially with the stream links, news information links, and updates, it serves as a hub that is more space-effective than a bunch of little threads that get lost in the actual noise of pointless threads. It's much easier, and suited for discussion, to be able to reference multiple news stories that span different games in their genre in this one thread.

At any rate, I can see the arguments for putting this in Community and honestly they do have a point. However, there is still a point to be made for the other aspects of this thread that keep it situated as a good source of easily accessible, multi-referencing info and news discussion for both lurkers and regulars.

I think what differentiates the fighting game genre to others (in other words, why there is a better case for a "fighting games weekly" as opposed to a "MOBA games weekly" or a "JRPG games weekly" or a "FPS games weekly", is that most of the streaming and media events involve multiple games and are about the genre as a whole. The other genres are much too big to cover multiple games at once, and their events usually just focus on one game. Aside from MLG stuff and a few other esports events.

I'm not about to dig up 4 years of pointless complaining post. You've changed its in the past we are just discussing said past.
I don't think I've ever discouraged discussing any game here. I know I used to argue a lot about Tekken, but they were discussions I brought up and were trying to have about the game. I still believe all of the things I've said about that game, too. I just don't care about discussing it as much these days.

Tripon

We're encouraged to make new threads on tournaments, player news, patch information, and so on.
Now I'm not saying we should (or can) make new threads for every little local or every time FChamp is a jerk or something, but there are lots of things we can create new threads for, but we keep in here.
Like we never make new threads for Big E events, despite them being bigger events and having international presence. We rarely have threads about international tournaments, and almost never if they're not playing Capcom games (I'm actually gonna contradict this later, but whatever).

They make threads for players getting sponsored, players putting up bounties, and lots of smaller tournaments as well. These new threads draw in lots of new people, most I never see here. Maybe they're all in the Super Smash Bros. thread, I dunno, but we can clearly see the effect of those.

I'll likely make a thread about Summer Jam and the HK CPT event.

Fair warning, any tournament thread I make is likely going to be CPT and Ultra heavy because that is the main game (outside of SFV) that I am following at the moment. If anybody else wants to highlight any other tournaments for other games like Smash, Xrd, etc. Tell me and I'll add it for the weekend tournament thread.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm glad that someone actually have a positive attitude about the situation. Let make our community little more stronger and more proactive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think I've ever discouraged discussing any game here. I know I used to argue a lot about Tekken, but they were discussions I brought up and were trying to have about the game. I still believe all of the things I've said about that game, too. I just don't care about discussing it as much these days.
It wasn't directly, it's attitudes towards certain things that snowball and people tend to just want to not talk about it again as they are going to be met with the same things again. Personally I never gave a damn about posters doing stuff like that but others get discouraged.

It wasn't directly, it's attitudes towards certain things that snowball and people tend to just want to not talk about it again as they are going to be met with the same things again. Personally I never gave a damn about posters doing stuff like that but others get discouraged.
Ah, fair enough then.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You mean SFV?

No SF4, you can still get unblockables but the timing is really tight and character specific. Cammy has one on a couple characters lol. SFV clearly has that unblockable setup if the person doesn't tech.

Edit:

Get online and play me.

El Sloth

Banned
Damn, one thread for all those events? I was going to make separate threads for SCR Prelude II and Xmania since they're only 1 days events, but I guess this works too! lol

Tripon

Damn, one thread for all those events? I was going to make separate threads for SCR Prelude II and Xmania since they're only 1 days events, but I guess this works too! lol

Sorry, didn't realize you were going to do that. If I knew, I would have left those out so you can give them the care they deserve. I made a mega thread to show people this is what we talk about in this thread when there's actual tournaments.

Edit: That, and I wanted to see if people use the thread for discussion. We'll see.

Kumubou

Jiyuna maximizing his anime CPM. We're... getting slightly closer to making it?

To be fair, I don't think the latter two events would see much traffic, and Xmania is happening at a completely different time of the day anyway. I think having these "weekend warrior" threads for events makes sense outside of the biggest tournaments (like Evo and Capcom Cup finals, and the former needs multiple threads as it is).

Zissou

Talk about moving back to gaming is pretty pointless- it's quite unlikely at this point. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. If a couple months from now the threads have far fewer posts/views than before- we'll know we need to do something or we're in trouble. If posts/views don't change much, than it'll he obvious we were overreacting. (Keeping it weekly rather than monthly would make it easier to compare pre and post- community eras for sure)

El Sloth

Banned
Sorry, didn't realize you were going to do that. If I knew, I would have left those out so you can give them the care they deserve. I made a mega thread to show people this is what we talk about in this thread when there's actual tournaments.
Nah, I think this way is probably better. Could encourage people who'd normally only be interested in Summer Jam give SCR and Xmania a look too.

I totally forgot there was going to be a Smash tourney at PAX too. I think the pot bonuses is $13k spread across both games btw. Let me go verify at the site.

Edit: @Kumubou Ha, yeah I agree. This was the better way to go. Also, I was totally wrong about the pot bonuses. Was thinking of another event and got confused.

Tripon

Nah, I think this way is probably better. Could encourage people who'd normally only be interested in Summer Jam give SCR and Xmania a look too.

I totally forgot there was going to be a Smash tourney at PAX too. I think the pot bonuses is $13k spread across both games btw. Let me go verify at the site.

Yeah, if that's true, tell me and I'll update the OP. Thanks.

Some days are rough around here.

I can recall a particular time I almost stopped posting in here and this was like less than four months ago. Some new people would have a rough time adjusting to the "jokey" atmosphere in here.

Anime van is funny enough now.
I honestly stopped the anime van because it stared feeling mean. I still don't like anime not understand how it is seemingly all consuming. I will be the first to admit that the anime fighters bring the hype and show the dedication that I not only respect but appreciate watching.

well I mean that was mostly miniboss, karst, beef, and gb at times. It becomes easy to learn who to ignore fast when it comes to certain topics. And they pretty much shaped up about it
Never meant to hurt people or you Q. I will continue to support your dream to go to EVO and agree to the gameplay of GG and BB but disagree with the silliness of character design.

If you guys want me to stop posting in here or I bring a negative contribution I will stop. I can and will go back to being a family man.

Never meant to hurt people or you Q. I will continue to support your dream to go to EVO and agree to the gameplay of GG and BB but disagree with the silliness of character design.

If you guys want me to stop posting in here or I bring a negative contribution I will stop. I can and will go back to being a family man.
H-how dare you call Zato silly.

Really, though, don't leave. :p Q is just saying that some folks might take the jokes people make about games seriously, and they could become discouraged. Anyone who reads frequently knows it's a gag, though. You're all in on that anime.

El Sloth

Banned
I never thanked you for telling me about Trela, Karsticles. I learned that Ryu's actual jab/fastest attack is his up tilt and not his neutral A (I'm not sure if that's the right term), so thanks for the tip. I also see run up SRK is surprisingly effective lol

I never thanked you for telling me about Trela, Karsticles. I learned that Ryu's actual jab/fastest attack is his up tilt and not his neutral A (I'm not sure if that's the right term), so thanks for the tip. I also see run up SRK is surprisingly effective lol
Glad it was helpful! :) We'll have to play when you feel you are ready.

The Light

Was wondering where this thread went after not finding it in the first four pages on gaming side.
All y'all had to do was stay on topic.

Tripon

One thing I'm surprised about is Capcom committing to using a mostly fleshed out character model for Nadeshiko just to use it as an add on for R. Mika.

Outside of some goofy wrist action, and maybe some flourish in her face, she looks like could be a separate character.

Odds on her being DLC?

Was wondering where this thread went after not finding it in the first four pages on gaming side.
All y'all had to do was stay on topic.

It wasn't even that since off topic stuff inevitably happens in all/most threads in existence. FGW had been running for 5 years and obviously had approval otherwise it would have been nuked immediately.

When you have people criticizing mod decisions from a completely unrelated thread and posting about anal sex for banned members then shit's going to happen.

Now here we are.

CO_Andy

ReyVGM said:
Chun Li is actually wearing a pantyhose in the Arcade Street Fighter 2. You can see the seams when she does her jump animation. Other animations that should show the seams, do not show them. My guess is that they planned to add them to all her animations, and either forgot or decided against it. This was removed from the later games.

ezEezuI.png

Mind blown

One thing I'm surprised about is Capcom committing to using a mostly fleshed out character model for Nadeshiko just to use it as an add on for R. Mika.

Outside of some goofy wrist action, and maybe some flourish in her face, she looks like could be a separate character.

Odds on her being DLC?

Judging by the Mika thread, a lot of people want her as an alt, and have Mika be the partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom