• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know what the recent USF4 ps4 patch did?

Ultra Street Fighter IV ver.1.05 Patch Notes

- Fixed bug which displayed incorrect fonts
- Modified Country/Region flags
- ‘Player Name’ header has been replaced with ‘Online ID’
- Endless Battle titles now properly update
- Removed any Ranking filters that are not USFIV
- Online Training host settings changes no longer prompt a message ID
- Audio fix for Rufus’ battle intro cinematic
- Audio fix for menu transitioning background music
- Fixed issue with black squares appearing in lobby names
- Multiple Game Manual changes
- PRESS START has been replaced by PRESS OPTIONS for all languages
- System message to prompt users on how to resolve a lack of free HDD space now appears
- RealTimeMultiplay call now triggers in all appropriate locations
- Chat Restrictions have been modified during fight request features
- PlayStation(R)Network has been replaced with Playstation(tm)Network

Swarna

So what is the current best monitor (both in terms of low lag and image quality)?

If you have a decent PC and play any FG on there a g-sync/freesync monitor is worth your while IMO. They are all top-tier in terms of input lag for general purposes (e.g. PS4) but you get the added benefit of playing FG at the lowest levels of input lag with no tearing on PC versions of games.

(USF4 comparison)
FzRAkdu.png

+ you can play games at variable frame rates and it's infinitely less annoying. It's a god-tier upgrade in general, IMO...

Drawback is that they are very expensive. G-sync monitors are bout a $250 premium up here in Canada compared to a comparable non-gsync one. And a lot more expensive than the first Asus suggestion which is perfect for using if you only play on consoles.

Also it fucks up your timings if you go to locals (fucks me up at least).

Beckx

Did you actually mean anything by image quality? I'll just assume no since the first recommendation was perfectly ok.

Recommend me something.

I am a philistine when it comes to IQ. I don't really see a lot of the video issues that "ruin" games for some people but I do hate washed out monitors. I use a Samsung TV in my cab and love it, if that helps.

So TBH, lowest latency plus viewing experience like a Samsung 1080p TV is probably just fine for me. If the ASUS doesn't hit that, I wouldn't want it.

Yeah, like I said, I'm a philistine.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
And both doodoo ports. Actually how faithful is VF3 to arcade? I know it has almost no content but if it's accurate I'll still get it

where it matters it's arcade perfect, but it is actually a visual downgrade

tumblr_nb8hj4jx2c1slig2vo1_1280.jpg

Left: arcade (1996)
Right: dreamcast (1999)

... why genki -__-

There's also some slowdown during the camera swoop-down on Shun's stage

and the dreamcast controller is as bad as a controller gets for fighting games

but i still play it on DC sometimes, it's still a fun game

jerry1594

where it matters it's arcade perfect, but it is actually a visual downgrade

tumblr_nb8hj4jx2c1slig2vo1_1280.jpg

Left: arcade (1996)
Right: dreamcast (1999)

... why genki -__-

There's also some slowdown during the camera swoop-down on Shun's stage

and the dreamcast controller is as bad as a controller gets for fighting games

but i still play it on DC sometimes, it's still a fun game
Yikes, that looks bad. As long as the gameplay is unaffected I'll still give it a shot. I'll probably get a Dreamcast canle for my stick or an adaptor for Saturn pads since I pretty much just have 2D games on it.

notworksafe

Did Combo explain how you delay the tag of her partner? I wonder if it's a thing where you activate and then have a timed window to call her in

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yikes, that looks bad. As long as the gameplay is unaffected I'll still give it a shot. I'll probably get a Dreamcast canle for my stick or an adaptor for Saturn pads since I pretty much just have 2D games on it.

saturn pad is a pretty good solution. you can't use the analog stick for movement (unlike soul calibur and doa2, maybe?), so you are restricted to d-pad. and 3tb movement is sorta tough, and the DC d-pad is sorta shit.

it's a cool game though, maybe my fav. movement is really open ended:

tumblr_nc2t14tiU41slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_napssrK8VY1slig2vo1_250.gif

tumblr_ne2expq1uM1slig2vo1_400.gif

and the animation is really clean
tumblr_ni50z5ue8Q1slig2vo1_400.gif

Busaiku

Fighting games sales on consoles in Japan have crashed big time last gen, for the most part.
Even (non-game) licensed fighters were largely down. Gundam and Jojo did well, but everything else, not as much.
Exception to this is ArcSys and Super Smash Bros which saw tremendous growth last gen.
Though Guilty Gear is doing poorly this gen.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176807135]I wonder if there's any extra utility on that extra normal throw.[/QUOTE]

Probably allows for different timed mixups & setup which direction where you throw your opponent.

Looks like a reallllly bad idea to wiff a command throw against Mika.

Onemic

saturn pad is a pretty good solution. you can't use the analog stick for movement (unlike soul calibur and doa2, maybe?), so you are restricted to d-pad. and 3tb movement is sorta tough, and the DC d-pad is sorta shit.

tumblr_napssrK8VY1slig2vo1_250.gif

tumblr_ne2expq1uM1slig2vo1_400.gif

Why cant Tekkens movement be this fluid? ;_;

I missed the Mika overview. Did Combo show how powerful her command throws become after the V-skill buff.

That movelist!

If gief does come back, I bet they'll give him all of the command throws he used to have from CE/HF/ST.

V-trigger Gief should get his mvc2 dash grab, or just turn into mecha gief lol

Recommend me something.

Ok, well the main thing to remember is that the panel technology is the main thing that will effect how the display picture looks.

So here are two

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0XYKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4014373&cm_re=gw2760hs-_-24-014-373-_-Product

The ASUS display is an IPS panel, it is the standard panel used for color accurate work like image editing, video editing, stuff like that. The viewing angles are better, the colors can be calibrated to be more accurate. The drawbacks are what people call IPS glow I think. The dark colors aren't as dark as they could be or should be, but still much better than your average TFT display.

The BenQ one is a VA panel, the type of panel that is more commonly used in TVs. The main advantage is that they can have darker blacks and better contrast compared to the IPS panels. The drawback is that contrast on VA panels varies depending on your view angle or the position of the image from the center of the display. Still better than any TFT panel. Durante on gaf claims that VA panels are best for gaming because of darker colors, better contrast, and possibly less image ghosting. On average most people just go with IPS when looking for something better than the cheapest monitor they can find.

Personally I suggest you do some more research on your own. In the end no technology is perfect and good things will cost you, so it's a good idea to know what you are buying and why.

Oh and both monitors have 11 ms of input lag or less according to the display lag DB.

I am personally using the BenQ display at home, I think it's not bad. No height adjustable stand kind sucks though.

Edit: Oh and one last thing I forgot no display is going to give you accurate colors out of the box. Unless it comes with some warranty for factory color accurate calibration from the manufacturer. You aren't getting that until you get into the $1000 range. So you are going to have to learn how to calibrate your display and do it by eye, and even then your results will probably be not all that great because calibrating colors without proper tools is probably impossible.

peter0611

I was wondering if R Mika will have "grappler vitality", but then that might not matter.1) she looks agile and mobile, so added health to get in will be unnecessary 2)health in general might not mean as much in a more faster-paced game where everyone hits harder

Malice215

I still remember the first time I saw VF3 in the arcade and how amazed I was at the graphics. Never spent time with the Dreamcast version because the standard controller was booty buttcheeks for fighting games.

Wish there was more of a heads up on that PAX SFV demo. R. Mika got them booty buttcheeks.

For the people who use the calendar, I started a new Twitter account if you need live updates or want to hear me talk crap about fighting games.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176808655]I mean the normal throw that only works on crouching opponents. Seems pretty unique. I wonder if it's like Remy's extra throw.[/QUOTE]

Oh just noticed that.

Beckx

Ok, well the main thing to remember is that the panel technology is the main thing that will effect how the display picture looks.

So here are two

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0XYKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4014373&cm_re=gw2760hs-_-24-014-373-_-Product

The ASUS display is an IPS panel, it is the standard panel used for color accurate work like image editing, video editing, stuff like that. The viewing angles are better, the colors can be calibrated to be more accurate. The drawbacks are what people call IPS glow I think. The dark colors aren't as dark as they could be or should be, but still much better than your average TFT display.

The BenQ one is a VA panel, the type of panel that is more commonly used in TVs. The main advantage is that they can have darker blacks and better contrast compared to the IPS panels. The drawback is that contrast on VA panels varies depending on your view angle or the position of the image from the center of the display. Still better than any TFT panel. Durante on gaf claims that VA panels are best for gaming because of darker colors, better contrast, and possibly less image ghosting. On average most people just go with IPS when looking for something better than the cheapest monitor they can find.

Personally I suggest you do some more research on your own. In the end no technology is perfect and good things will cost you, so it's a good idea to know what you are buying and why.

Oh and both monitors have 11 ms of input lag or less according to the display lag DB.

I am personally using the BenQ display at home, I think it's not bad. No height adjustable stand kind sucks though.

Edit: Oh and one last thing I forgot no display is going to give you accurate colors out of the box. Unless it comes with some warranty for factory color accurate calibration from the manufacturer. You aren't getting that until you get into the $1000 range. So you are going to have to learn how to calibrate your display and do it by eye, and even then your results will probably be not all that great because calibrating colors without proper tools is probably impossible.

This is really great, thank you.

Negaduck

I think double half circle back is harder than a 720 because you have to stop the momentum of the motion to reset it back to towards your opponent rather than keeping the momentum with the circular motion and even gain some speed (however slight the change might be) in the second 360 motion that is done.

Not that much more difficult but feels that way.

I think double half circle back is harder than a 720 because you have to stop the momentum of the motion to reset it back to towards your opponent rather than keeping the momentum with the circular motion and even gain some speed (however slight the change might be) in the second 360 motion that is done.

Not that much more difficult but feels that way.

Yeah, sorta this. But then i suck at doing either, haha. I guess i was hoping for something like the GG/BB style inputs like HCB, F or QCF, HCB. I've gotten decent at doing those.

Or even QCFx2 like Birdie has.

I was wondering if R Mika will have "grappler vitality", but then that might not matter.1) she looks agile and mobile, so added health to get in will be unnecessary 2)health in general might not mean as much in a more faster-paced game where everyone hits harder

I wish they'd just do away with different health bars entirely

jerry1594

I wish they'd just do away with different health bars entirely
It would be great if Yun and Hugo had the same stamina

tumblr_napssrK8VY1slig2vo1 _250.gif

tumblr_ne 2expq1uM1slig2vo1_400.gif

That Lion gif. Damn. Definitely gonna check it out. I tried using a Saturn pad with VF4Evo, and I didn't adjust too well. Now that I've gotten a bit more used to VF inputs I'll give it another go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom