• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 21-27 | Easter EG Hunting

galvatron

Oh, I know why I'm pursuing Computer Science, I've known why ever since I was a kid. The path has changed a bit over time, but I still know why I'm doing this. I mostly feel like I"m in over my head and not capable of being able to do it though.

Yeah, I know I need to focus on my education first and foremost. I know I'll be doing indie game dev stuff, but it's really just a matter of learning, which seems to be the trouble right now.

Sounds even more like my path to CS. I'd advise getting a job at a normal game dev studio first. Preferrably one doing mobile with Unity or some other popular engine to get some experience with what it takes to build a whole commercial product. You'll build your resume and your bank account, while making contacts (such as artists) that might come in handy once you're ready to go indy.

I have to point out that after attending talks from Adam Atomic and the Tiger Style dudes and talking to them more privately, Indy success is really subjective/ deceptive. They're "big time" in that space, but the numbers they say they're pulling in are in line with a normal game industry salary, give or take, which they are making while taking on great risk to themselves. Adam Atomic gets healthcare from his wife's day job and she also doubles as his accountant. Not exactly Candy Crush money for award winning game makers.

Oh, I know why I'm pursuing Computer Science, I've known why ever since I was a kid. The path has changed a bit over time, but I still know why I'm doing this. I mostly feel like I"m in over my head and not capable of being able to do it though.

That feeling doesn't go away even after you get involved in the industry, at least in my experience. Just keep your head low and power through it. Being a programmer is all about facing the unknown and figuring out a solution for it. You may not figure out everything right away, but the feeling of mastering something that was giving you trouble earlier is great. More often than not, all the tools you need to understand the issue tend to be right in front of you.

I'll give a brief anecdote that may or may not be helpful:

I was doing remote work for a certain group everyone is familiar with and I was able to meet with my boss for that work in person right before the serious work started, during last year's GDC. He'd worked at EA for over 10 years and had gone freelance/was pushing his own contracting service at the time. Really nice guy, very personable. I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask but wasn't sure how to phrase them, and I was a little afraid of looking like an idiot, but at some point I did end up asking him about some programming topic I had zero clues about and how someone goes about learning it.

He essentially told me "I Googled that shit" and burst into laughter.

That lifted a huge block up in my head, because yeah, how often do I not go to Stack Overflow or other sites to figure out something that's beyond me? I had been mentally cornering myself over a lot of nothing. I ended up asking tons of questions for the rest of the trip and over the course of the job, and the other guys were more than happy to point me in the right direction if they knew where it was (which was also a relief in a way -- starting out, even people I thought would know every last detail of how to do things also had no clue on some things and had to learn how to do them from scratch).

So yeah, my advice is "sure, it can definitely feel like it's totally over your head", but as long as you're persistent and not afraid to look for the answers, you will be able to find them.

Dahbomb

Eagerly awaiting the dahbomb breakdown of the champ vs yipes set

Also, inb4 champ sandbagging and beats nemo by a ton

Also, inb4 nemo beats the dogshit outta champ
I can't breakdown something I didn't actually watch properly!

From the results of the two sets it was as expected. FChamp lost with his Dorm team because of the match up problems (Missiles bad against Nemo as is Dorm against Nemo). The Phoenix team with Plasma Beam won as expected although it's still not exactly favorable. I expect the Nemo MM to be close either way, been saying it since Capcom Cup.

Also someone needs to provide me with an appropriate FChamp MM avatar. Time to get the hype rolling for NWM!

Get that mentality out of your head. You play fighting games, you need a winning attitude to be good at something. That's what fighting games taught me and the only reason I was able to make it past college. Believe in yourself smeddy, I know Captain America would BibleThump.

That's the hard part really! After years of conditioning myself to not believe in myself, actually trying to do so now is tough stuff :p

Hell, there are points in fighting games where losses frustrate me so much I just smash my head against a wall for five or more matches on netplay, not too dissimilar to how I feel during my programming homework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFNWyqHHyY

just watch gurren lagann before any test and you'll be the best!

"Anime is for jerks" - Jeff Gerstmann

Sounds even more like my path to CS. I'd advise getting a job at a normal game dev studio first. Preferrably one doing mobile with Unity or some other popular engine to get some experience with what it takes to build a whole commercial product. You'll build your resume and your bank account, while making contacts (such as artists) that might come in handy once you're ready to go indy.

I have to point out that after attending talks from Adam Atomic and the Tiger Style dudes and talking to them more privately, Indy success is really subjective/ deceptive. They're "big time" in that space, but the numbers they game say they're pulling in are in line with a normal game industry salary, give or take, which they are making while taking on great risk to themselves. Adam Atomic gets healthcare from his wife's day job and she also doubles as his accountant. Not exactly Candy Crush money for award winning game makers.

Definitely interesting, and probably the smart path, but after all the horror stories I've heard since coming onto GAF, going into a normal studio terrifies me more than trying to scrape by.

Basically I'm really dumb and want to try to stick to my convictions even though surely it'll go awry.

That feeling doesn't go away even after you get involved in the industry, at least in my experience. Just keep your head low and power through it. Being a programmer is all about facing the unknown and figuring out a solution for it. You may not figure out everything right away, but the feeling of mastering something that was giving you trouble earlier is great. More often than not, all the tools you need to understand the issue tend to be right in front of you.

I'll give a brief anecdote that may or may not be helpful:

I was doing remote work for a certain group everyone is familiar with and I was able to meet with my boss for that work in person right before the serious work started, during last year's GDC. He'd worked at EA for over 10 years and had gone freelance/was pushing his own contracting service at the time. Really nice guy, very personable. I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask but wasn't sure how to phrase them, and I was a little afraid of looking like an idiot, but at some point I did end up asking him about some programming topic I had zero clues about and how someone goes about learning it.

He essentially told me "I Googled that shit" and burst into laughter.

That lifted a huge block up in my head, because yeah, how often do I not go to Stack Overflow or other sites to figure out something that's beyond me? I had been mentally cornering myself over a lot of nothing. I ended up asking tons of questions for the rest of the trip and over the course of the job, and the other guys were more than happy to point me in the right direction if they knew where it was (which was also a relief in a way -- starting out, even people I thought would know every last detail of how to do things also had no clue on some things and had to learn how to do them from scratch).

So yeah, my advice is "sure, it can definitely feel like it's totally over your head", but as long as you're persistent and not afraid to look for the answers, you will be able to find them.

That's honestly pretty interesting/relieving in a way, I've gone to all sorts of places to try and look for help on projects/assignments. It's just a matter of making sure not to be too reliant on outside help :\

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I can't breakdown something I didn't actually watch properly!

From the results of the two sets it was as expected. FChamp lost with his Dorm team because of the match up problems (Missiles bad against Nemo as is Dorm against Nemo). The Phoenix team with Plasma Beam won as expected although it's still not exactly favorable. I expect the Nemo MM to be close either way, been saying it since Capcom Cup.

Also someone needs to provide me with an appropriate FChamp MM avatar. Time to get the hype rolling for NWM!

yjdD4np.png

Nyoro SF

A..are there any fellow e-engineers here...

College was interesting but being forced to take classes that were both irrelevant to my field of work AND ones that I was bad at (programming lol) really made me mad.

My parents told me they wouldn't pay a dime for my college unless I majored in engineering or went to medical school

That's honestly pretty interesting/relieving in a way, I've gone to all sorts of places to try and look for help on projects/assignments. It's just a matter of making sure not to be too reliant on outside help :\

Oh yeah... Well, to be honest, the level of plagiarism that would throw you into the strike zone in college, also just isn't all that useful in the industry. If anything, they're making sure you don't end up handicapping yourself while you finish your degree. Not to say that copying some code wholesale(if money or legal situation allows) to do minor or tedious things isn't nice, but it's also more likely to trip you up if you're using it as a crutch for understanding a given problem.

kirblar

I highly recommend taking intro Macro/Micro economics at a minimum while you have the chance in school. It is hugely important basic knowledge to have in today's world.

Infinite

Justin Wong winning EVO would be the 2nd best possible thing to happen to the game.

Not for me actually. I really don't see what that would do for the game. I think someone like Cloud, Apology Man, RayRay, Yipes, or Moonz winning would be way more exciting

There is no way I could have gotten an equivalent education just by reading books instead of going to class. I could see myself self-studying through the basic shit, but not the harder stuff I did senior year and for my Masters.
)

That's cool, but it really depends what you do and how good your professors and peers were.

I have a great job and income, but no certification or post graduate experience had me thanking my school or teachers. Other than software related stuff, basic mechanical engineering principles have been around since the invention of NASA. It's been published countless times. And if it isn't, most big companies train their mechanical, electrical and civil engineers all over again.

On an exciting note to people who haven't graduated yet: I have a Blast City and New Net City arcade cabinets shipping in on Friday. So that's something maybe to look forward to when you get out of college. Keep grinding away.

Also does anyone here have a business or liberal arts degree?

Dahbomb

Not for me actually. I really don't see what that would do for the game. I think someone like Cloud, Apology Man, RayRay, Yipes, or Moonz winning would be way more exciting
Justin hasn't won an EVO in MVC3 yet even though he was featured in top 8 of every one of them and has won a few majors. Out of all the players you listed as well as almost every other American player who won something... he has the lowest tier team among them.

It would be a dramatic statement for the game... that you don't need Zero + Vergil or Missiles to win big in the game. You need sheer skill, patience and fundamentals. It would make people level up their fundamentals and neutral rather than just relying on coin flips to win games.

Of course I am not asking Justin to win every single EVO from here out. I also want ChrisG to win at least one EVO. I also want some of the new people to win it too. But I feel that Justin winning would wake some people up and change up the way they approach the game.

Infinite

You mean Morrigan doom and vergil? Don't downplay him losing

I saw him playing Wolvie something Akuma but I didn't watch the stream in it's entirety. I wouldn't downplay him losing and I don't think I did. Just implying he may have not taken this event as serious and that's still his lost at the end of the day.

Dahbomb said:
Justin hasn't won an EVO in MVC3 yet even though he was featured in top 8 of every one of them. Out of all the players you listed as well as almost every other American player who won something... he has the lowest tier team among them.

It would be a dramatic statement for the game... that you don't need Zero + Vergil or Missiles to win big in the game. You need sheer skill, patience and fundamentals. It would make people level up their fundamentals and neutral rather than just relying on coin flips to win games.

Of course I am not asking Justin to win every single EVO from here out. I also want ChrisG to win at least one EVO. I also want some of the new people to win it too. But I feel that Justin winning would wake some people up and change up the way they approach the game.

I don't agree. Justin winning Evo would just be business as usual for the game. I personally think even more than Justin winning someone closing the gap between "the marvel gods" and taking the title has a more positive effect on the game. Justin is not this low tier hero either

Justin hasn't won an EVO in MVC3 yet even though he was featured in top 8 of every one of them and has won a few majors. Out of all the players you listed as well as almost every other American player who won something... he has the lowest tier team among them.

His team is lower tier than most top players but not my much, he is still using Wolverine/Akuma. Not sure how much of a statement that will be for the game.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Yeah, that's what I learned when I scraped by with a C. I absolutely hated that C, it burned a hole through my transcript. Doubling up on science courses is fucking awful; any lurkers out there take heed.

I'm starting to appreciate Tekken players a lot more. Fuck backdash cancelling and just framing.

*not doubling up on science courses is impossible and it will take u more than 4 years to graduate. man up and schedule them to where u dont have to worry about side courses as much and can focus on the two of them.

fucking freshmenz

Check out this Hugo v Dhalsim match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOO8NC9YzZs

Doesn't look nearly as bad. In fact, looks like Hugo has some fairly safe counterpokes and a super that totally shuts down yoga fire. I would imagine that his ex backbreaker and/or ultra 2 would punish Sim's yoga sniper as well, maybe even on hit. If that's true, then I can see this actually being a pretty even matchup.

Dahbomb

How would it be business as usual when Justin hasn't won EVO yet in MVC3?

Business as usual would be if either Flocker or FChamp won again. Or Viscant (lol).

His team is Upper Mid at best. Not Low tier but he is at a disadvantage against many teams especially when Wolverine dies. He has no full screen vertical or horizontal assist coverage on that team. He's basically playing with just one assist. Akuma as an anchor is not comparable to the top anchors and Storm as a support is not comparable to the top supports (and she definitely isn't a top point either). He has no top 5 character on his team, Wolverine is his best and he's a tier below the top 5.

When Justin wins something people evaluate themselves. If a Zero/Vergil team wins against them... they say "oh whatever I got put into Zero mix ups and got derped by Dark Vergil".

People are so quick to forget Justin at EVO 2013. If you didn't think that was hype or exciting then well... you probably don't care much about the game to begin with. If Justin had won that people wouldn't have said "oh man Justin won again... business as usual".

Business as usual in that people who don't seem to really play or care about the game, can rock up and win EVO with the same tactics they have been using since day 1.

Best thing for Marvel is if people like Justin can no longer compete... Unless they really step it up.

Astarte

*not doubling up on science courses is impossible and it will take u more than 4 years to graduate. man up and schedule them to where u dont have to worry about side courses as much and can focus on the two of them.

fucking freshmenz

?

Well Mr. GoinHard, it really depends on your circumstances. If you do what I did and took AP exams, you could comfortable schedule your science classes/take a third semester (like summer). It's all about careful planning, really. I regret doing the doubling up and graduating in 3 years; staying in college for an additional year would have been nice.

Shit wait it's all about circumstances.

Top Bottom