• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 21-27 | Easter EG Hunting

galvatron

Definitely interesting, and probably the smart path, but after all the horror stories I've heard since coming onto GAF, going into a normal studio terrifies me more than trying to scrape by.

Basically I'm really dumb and want to try to stick to my convictions even though surely it'll go awry.

Nothing wrong with keeping an eye on your hourly rate. I'm the same way... Never sign up for a sweatshop.

Seeing as any day job isn't going to let you just make whatever you like, you can shop around for companies that sound like they aren't all about the crunch and will pay you to pick up skills you want to learn. I managed to do my game industry time without any crunch, but that did mean avoiding the known offenders and not always working on the sexiest stuff.

One of the Tiger Style guys suggested having 10 months of expenses saved up to do indy stuff since you're not getting paid during dev and need to wait for the profits to roll in (if they do) after launch. Hopefully, I'm remembering that right, since I can't find a link to the talk... Reminds me of poker players who can say they're broke despite having lots of money in their bank roll that's allocated to "the business".

On an exciting note to people who haven't graduated yet: I have a Blast City and New Net City arcade cabinets shipping in on Friday. So that's something maybe to look forward to when you get out of college. Keep grinding away.

Also does anyone here have a business or liberal arts degree?

OMG, love the New Net City, though I have no idea what I'd play on it. Sticking to Naomi?

I've got a Super Neo 29" Type II myself and mainly play Neo Geo on it.

Infinite

Business as usual in that people who don't seem to really play or care about the game, can rock up and win EVO with the same tactics they have been using since day 1.

Best thing for Marvel is if people like Justin can no longer compete... Unless they really step it up.

Yeah, this.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ same tactics as day 1...

Do people hate on Daigo for sticking to Ryu since day 1? What an absurd thing to say. And not only that it makes light of the evolution that Justin has gone through with the team and each character in it. To say that Justin hasn't stepped it up is also a ridiculous statement. He has been leveling up ever since EVO 2013, dramatically as well. Hell he even started Socal Hunger games to level up the scene and Socal has improved greatly as far as Marvel is concerned.

Justin wins EVO with "day 1 tactics"? Good, it would expose everyone else at the tournament.

Infinite

LMAO @ same tactics as day 1...

Do people hate on Daigo for sticking to Ryu since day 1? What an absurd thing to say. And not only that it makes light of the evolution that Justin has gone through with the team and each character in it.

Justin wins EVO with "day 1 tactics"? Good, it would expose everyone else at the tournament.

It's not that he's using "day one tactics" it's just that he doesn't give a shit about the game. Justin is lazy but he can body everyone in the entire scene when he wants. Him winning evo is non news.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Business as usual in that people who don't seem to really play or care about the game, can rock up and win EVO with the same tactics they have been using since day 1.

Best thing for Marvel is if people like Justin can no longer compete... Unless they really step it up.

Damn, I would really love to see this. My body would tingle in joy to see top 8 with new blood.

?

Well Mr. GoinHard, it really depends on your circumstances. If you do what I did and took AP exams, you could comfortable schedule your science classes/take a third semester (like summer). It's all about careful planning, really. I regret doing the doubling up and graduating in 3 years; staying in college for an additional year would have been nice.

Shit wait it's all about circumstances.

Just ignore him, he's an ass to begin with.

when are we street fighting?

We shall street fight now! How the hell do I invite you? I guess you do the inviting....

Dahbomb

It's not that he's using "day on tactics" it's just that he doesn't give a shit about the game. Justin is lazy but he can body everyone in the entire scene when he wants. Him winning evo is non news.
How the hell is Justin lazy and doesn't give a shit about the game? You mean him starting Socal Hunger games was him being lazy and not giving a shit about the game? What about all the stuff he has discovered and incorporated into his game since EVO 2013?

Again I repeat myself... if a "lazy" player like Justin is winning with a mid tier team and day 1 tactics then that should be more encouragement for players to level up and show him up. Hell I see the entire scene as lazy if they can't beat lazy ass Justin and his day 1 tactics with his day 1 mid tier team.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Just ignore him, he's an ass to begin with.

mods i feel offended check this dude

?

Well Mr. GoinHard, it really depends on your circumstances. If you do what I did and took AP exams, you could comfortable schedule your science classes/take a third semester (like summer). It's all about careful planning, really. I regret doing the doubling up and graduating in 3 years; staying in college for an additional year would have been nice.

Shit wait it's all about circumstances.

first off lemme say i respect how u did it u went in and hustled. that said, you gave some advice that did not apply to the average student. a normal science major/minor will never be able to avoid double scheduling and graduate in 4 years on most curricula. your arrangement was an exception.

How the hell is Justin lazy and doesn't give a shit about the game? You mean him starting Socal Hunger games was him being lazy and not giving a shit about the game? What about all the stuff he has discovered and incorporated into his game since EVO 2013?

The game Justin Wong wants to win most at EVO 2014 is ________

i read posts like these and wonder why i bother reading neogaf fgw sometimes...

Forget about this?

Meh, Justin winning EVO would not be super uber or more noteworthy than usual. It would no doubt be exciting probably, and worthy of the usual praise.

Nemo or Sanford winning, or fchamp losing in pools and crying would get my engine going.

CPS2

My sister told me that her friend bought a "street fighter cabinet" (no idea which version) and wants to organise a night to have people over just to play it. How these things usually go is, I let them play as much as I can but after a while I'm like a dog in a car at the dog park wanting to be let loose and run free. Then I'm sure they get sick of it before I do, so I take a break and suffer severe withdrawl and feel doubtful I'll be invited back. Let's see how this plays out. Best case scenario is that there's people there better than me who I don't know.

Dahbomb

The game Justin Wong wants to win most at EVO 2014 is ________
It's probably USF4 but do you honestly think he doesn't want to win EVO in UMVC3 as well? After EVO 2013 when he got 2nd place he was emotional but he also wanted that win bad (said so in the post interview). That was the spring board for him leveling up dramatically over the year.

You guys should just come out and say it instead of coming up with half truths. You guys don't like watching Wolverine and you don't like watching Justin win regardless of the game (some of you would probably hate it if he won EVO with Rufus but I would be hype as fuck). You would rather have some nobody win EVO with Zero/Vergil (not that Cloud is a nobody but I am saying people would be fine with this over Justin winning).

Infinite

Again I repeat myself... if a "lazy" player like Justin is winning with a mid tier team and day 1 tactics then that should be more encouragement for players to level up and show him up. Hell I see as the entire scene as lazy if they can't beat lazy ass Justin and his day 1 tactics with his day 1 mid tier team.

SoCal hunger games is just him leveling up his scene not his own gameplay. I'm not trying to take anything away from Justin the fighting game player but lets face it he is lazy. Like the guy doesn't even care to land his Storm TAC infinites. At the end of the day he still beats everyone so much respect is due to him

However even more than Justin winning EVO the best thing that can happen to the game is for up and comers to close the gap between the gods. Look at how NYC street fighter blew up once Zeus and Smug started giving Sanford and Dieminion a run for their
rent
money. Everyone is used to seeing Justin win and I don't think him taking evo will make anyone hungrier. But If Cloud Apology Man, Moonz, or RayRay won? That would be huge. Even if some new guy shows up at Bums place or Next Level and bodies everyone that would be a legit boost to the scene than Justin beating everyone. . . again.

chriskun

It's not that he's using "day one tactics" it's just that he doesn't give a shit about the game. Justin is lazy but he can body everyone in the entire scene when he wants. Him winning evo is non news.

Justin is not lazy, he has put in lots of time in the lab with all games. I remember when vanilla marvel 3 came out everyone was lamenting Sentinel and he came out with this video showcasing strategies on how to "beat the robot".

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i dont like offending others. some ppl need to get swagged on for saying silly shit tho

telling the average person "not to double up on sciences" being one of em

yeah sure, ill believe it when i see it. you always instigate problems with me so thats why im being assertive. i dont even know why im explaining myself, you just rudely ignore it and continue on with your useless banter. if you dont like it, ill back off, but i expect you to do the same then.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Justin is not lazy, he has put in lots of time in the lab with all games. I remember when vanilla marvel 3 came out everyone was lamenting Sentinel and he came out with this video showcasing strategies on how to "beat the robot".

lol...shit went down but chriskun had his eyes on the streets

chriskun remembers

Astarte

mods i feel offended check this dude

first off lemme say i respect how u did it u went in and hustled. that said, you gave some advice that did not apply to the average student. a normal science major/minor will never be able to avoid double scheduling and graduate in 4 years on most curricula. your arrangement was an exception.

Yeah, that's why I added that it all had to do with circumstances. I didn't realize that what I pulled off wasn't natural; it's just that the habitat of people I studied with followed the same course as me so I naturally assumed so. I still advise that double scheduling be taken with caution; an optional third semester exists, and you shouldn't try to bumrush your curriculum like a lunatic. (unless you want to get in some more courses before that MCAT change...). For the third semester, here's hoping you have a scholarship!
no one's going to read this, this is FGW. If anything, talking about this isn't contributing anything towards the main topic at hand.

well you shouldnt. you like offending others the majority of the time.

Mr. GoesinHard lives up to his name.

Infinite

idk Justin is not a lab monster to me. He wins games because he's the best at playing the player. As in his reads and intuition is better than his opponent's. Justin is notorious for picking "easy" but strong characters and apart of that is why he does extremely well in the early life span of a game.

Dahbomb

I didn't say what the best thing would be for the game (I am sure everyone assumed Marvel patch)... it would be Nemo winning EVO.

It would be a historic win that would be 13 years in the making.

Justin winning would get me hyped... Nemo winning would get me LEGIT SHOOK!

Jazz-ism

Banned
dahbomb/chriskun please do everyone a favor and stop white knighting justin. he is the best player and blah blah blah everyone knows that but even he has admitted he doesnt put in lab time or practice as much as you would think.

chriskun no matter how much you desire it, justin is not socal.

Infinite

I didn't say what the best thing would be for the game (I am sure everyone assumed Marvel patch)... it would be Nemo winning EVO.

The salt from twitter and SRK forums would give me material to laugh at for weeks possibly even months.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I hope you record yourself and give it to BasedMonster.

Vulva I waited half an hour in the training room, can't play SF now, things caught up so we'll probably play another time.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
FGW | Desolation of Smug as someone pointed out

God damn it, ill play for a bit vulva. let see if i can sneak in some sf

I agree with this because:

a) he is primarily a marvel player
b) he isn't American, so that would fire the whole "America's game" thing

Besides you being excited (which is fair enough), Justin Wong winning does nothing for the game.

Jazz-ism

Banned
i think this year should be the last evo for the game, the highest priority match of the games lifespan should be played

imagine a top 3 with chris g justin and nemo to close out the lifespan of marvel 3 before it is sacrificed for the anime requiem of 2014/2015

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh yeah, vote for thread titles below. I have no idea what happened this week, but:

FGW | The Desolation of Smug

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
it still makes no sense to me why FGW is a thing

should have been moved to off topic a long ass time ago
Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter Street Fighter

Top Bottom