• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | February 4-10 | Majority vote declares Smash a fighting game

Busaiku

You know Super Smash Bros Melee's lack of presence outside of Evo isn't necessarily due to active hatred of the game or anything.
Running the game would certainly be a hassle for a lot of TOs, especially someone like Keits who prides himself on a good schedule.

Holy shit I need to watch G Gundam again
KuGsj.gif
One of the top three Gundam anime for sure.
Now I'm wondering whether you got link from me or Jathaine.
What?

SmokeMaxX

If even Jebailey is not willing to touch Smash with a 2 feet pole despite openly praising Melee the chances of other TOs supporting it are close to zero. Keits seemed pretty disgusted that people would even ask about Smash on his twitter:

https://twitter.com/KeitsSRK/status/297826762577031168

I would imagine a lot of it has to do with logistics. It's hard running Smash, not to mention you'd have to account for CRTs, consoles, games, save files, and venue space. Then allocate bracket runners and schedule time. It'd probably boost final tourney numbers, but at what cost?

You know Super Smash Bros Melee's lack of presence outside of Evo isn't necessarily due to active hatred of the game or anything.
Running the game would certainly be a hassle for a lot of TOs, especially someone like Keits who prides himself on a good schedule.

Yeah that's my point, adding Smash into the lineups of other majors will require a willingness to invest long term in the Smash community. So Skullgirls might seem to be the winner now but if Melee makes a big impact at EVO you can be sure that the Smash community will benefit greatly on the long run.

I would imagine a lot of it has to do with logistics. It's hard running Smash, not to mention you'd have to account for CRTs, consoles, games, save files, and venue space. Then allocate bracket runners and schedule time. It'd probably boost final tourney numbers, but at what cost?

Yeah, basically this.

Revven

It's definitely more about having the equipment than it is their opinion of the game. Though Jebailey's issue is more about what happened at CEO 2011 (which was hugely unfortunate). Can't really fault them for that. Plus it being announced as a game at Evo after the Road to Evo events were set... yeah.

I'm going to assume we'll probably see it at Winter Brawl, because of the okay turnout for it at NEC (Big E was happy about it, iirc) and with enough interest presented I'm sure it could be there. But beyond that, at best I could see Mr.Wizard either having the community set up their own Road to Evo events for Smash (tourneys that are already scheduled within the Smash scene) or just take Apex's results and use those as seeding points.

Also, as an aside, Mang0 is on twitch.tv/bobby_scar explaining his set with Hungrybox at Big House 2 atm. It's pretty insightful on the decisions he makes in the Jigglypuff MU.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The Final Round venue hotel might have sold out their block of rooms for the tournament 2 months in advance... o_O

Yeah, just... for some reason I thought it would be easier for UFGT to do this, since they are already packing a lot of not-often-used setups. I didn't think that through enough, though.

Infinite

If even Jebailey is not willing to touch Smash with a 2 feet pole despite openly praising Melee the chances of other TOs supporting it are close to zero. Keits seemed pretty disgusted that people would even ask about Smash on his twitter:

https://twitter.com/KeitsSRK/status/297826762577031168

Man keits can be dickish at times

The Final Round venue hotel might have sold out their block of rooms for the tournament 2 months in advance... o_O

Jeez I'm considering going this year too.

Good thing I'm not staying there if I attend. I only plan on going Friday for SF4 and then I'm heading back home(unless I get top 8 LOLz). Still have to see if I can get the day off before I decide to attend. Hopefully I can, I've been wanting to attend Final Round for a while now. It feels inexcusable to not go since it's the closest Major to my home.

Infinite

I'll just be going since I'll also be visiting my brother and his family who live there. But that sounds crowded to all hell already

Good thing I'm not staying there if I attend. I only plan on going Friday for SF4 and then I'm heading back home(unless I get top 8 LOLz). Still have to see if I can get the day off before I decide to attend. Hopefully I can, I've been wanting to attend Final Round for a while now. It feels inexcusable to not go since it's the closest Major to my home.

Just picture all your opponent as me, and it will give you the determination to kick their ass.

You can thank me later.

Minah

Neo Member
Is the P4A community dead on the PS3? Just bought the game, wouldn't like it to be like KoFXIII with shit netcode and a dead online community.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So happy endings do exist. :)

Glad Skullgirls is getting some love.

Mike Z is such an upstanding guy. To see him give that speech after it all would be heartbreaking if nothing good came out of it for the Skullgirls community.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If AGE players dont have to use AGE sticks why would Justin have to use Razer? heck i dont think Fuudo/Latif use the razer stick do they?
AGE makes sticks? (outside of the MK PDP stick) All their pad players appear to use the pad though.

Also Latif uses the Razer stick until it breaks and then he switches to TEs.

Actually, it's not set on if Skullgirls will be at Genesis 3. That is just something that some members of the forums were talking about. The TOs haven't openly said they're going to include it.

At this point, given the circumstances, I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen because of logistics: Genesis 3 is and always has been a Smash major with some international attendance. It all depends on venue size and the amount of interest there is from SG players.

So basically, it's not guaranteed to happen.

Also, Winter Brawl might have Melee. And NCR hasn't confirmed or announced anything, so that's up in the air as well afaik (if it has, link me lol). Melee could very well be at NCR... after all, there is a pretty big Melee scene in NorCal and SoCal. I'm not getting my hopes up or anything, due to logistics etc for NCR but yeah.

Meh

Winter Brawl hasn't even confirmed Melee and its in like 2 weeks. It doesn't even have a thread on smashboards yet. There's no way its going to get the attendance it ought to.

NCR is a real opportunity but its all speculation.

It all depends on how much the FGC majors actually put into it. And based on what I'm seeing, I doubt there is going to be movement unless Melee puts on a real show at EVO.

Which is fine. There are plenty of smash majors in between then lol

Hey anyone actually play those Dissidia games? I know, there not really fighting games as such, but I figured that it might be fun to have something fighting gameish to fart around with on the bus. Not really a big JRPG guy, but they look kinda fun and are 50% off on PSN currently.

Hey anyone actually play those Dissidia games? I know, there not really fighting games as such, but I figured that it might be fun to have something fighting gameish to fart around with on the bus. Not really a big JRPG guy, but they look kinda fun and are 50% off on PSN currently.

They're great. You don't need to worry about playing the first game since it's also included with the second one. Highly recommend it.

Top Bottom