• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Exactly, what I meant? BadIntent is an FG guy and he won a Regional tournament for Pokemon that they've been holding around the country. =o

I had some trouble parsing the first part of that post myself, although it doesn't really matter. Congrats to BadIntent - Regionals are pretty rough, even if the number of competitors for Pokemon has dipped a bit recently. Scrapping past 500 players is no joke.

Anarchy Reigns got the ugliest damn UI I've seen in years

Every game has its flaws, and one of AR's flaws is having a UI that looks like it was ripped out of a video game sequence in a '90s hacker movie. You can practically feel the P1 phosphors bouncing off your eyeballs.

I go SRK, the one that doesn't foster drama for page views.

To be fair, the EventHubs article is higher up on the list of search results.

Shouta

You forgot "won" I think after his name

but you capitalized Badintent so it was pretty clear it was a person and you could figure it out from the rest

Congrats to him.

Oh. haha. Brainfart.

I'm still on a high from the Seahawk's win last night. =o

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Also excited for Full Boost at SCR

really interested in seeing how live commentary is tackled for the game if streamed

Dahbomb

All this Nintendo gloom and doom on the gaming side made me think of the unthinkable...

Smash 5 on a non Nintendo console. That was be a legitimate hell frozen over scenario.

Shouta

really interested in seeing how live commentary is tackled for the game if streamed

Assuming that the host can spec and watch the viewpoints of the units live like it was being touted. Then that'll be the commentary system for the game.

I'm curious how the streaming situation at SCR is going to go down in general with the nine million officially supported games.

The ideal situation for any tournament is that finals always gets Main Stream time, but that is probably a logistical nightmare. Maybe Keits/Valle/SJC could offer more insight about how stream programming is determined.

Silky

Banned
I have the oddest feeling Sony will announce PSAS2 for the PS4 and it'll be really really good. Like it'll get a complete overhaul with Killian as lead combat designer or some crazy shit

Dahbomb

Infiltration got robbed.

The list put too much emphasis on Topanga league rankings and current wins over previous bigger wins (like a god damn EVO title).

I'm curious how the streaming situation at SCR is going to go down in general with the nine million officially supported games.

The ideal situation for any tournament is that finals always gets Main Stream time, but that is probably a logistical nightmare. Maybe Keits/Valle/SJC could offer more insight about how stream programming is determined.

wondering how Sunday is gonna go
bet some people are gonna whine when Melee inevitably grabs one of the later Sunday slots

Dahbomb

I have the oddest feeling Sony will announce PSAS2 for the PS4 and it'll be really really good. Like it'll get a complete overhaul with Killian as lead combat designer or some crazy shit
They would have to get OG Dante/Vergil, Solid Snake, Megaman and Cloud Strife/Sephiroth to generate any real interest for the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
stahp

They need to copy Small Arms' format for it to work IMO.

I'd be down for PSASBR2 if they made it a fighting game instead of a Smasher

Okay finally bought Aquapizza. There's a thing on Amazon right now where they give you $20 PSN funbux extra for trading in $20 worth of games, which is what I did (and waited like a week for my trade-ins to ship/get graded).

Dahbomb

"hey, let's make a Smash game, but we NEED to think of a different way to ko"
I get what they were thinking with that one.

Smash separated itself from other fighters by having a different win condition. They wanted to one up that by having a completely different win condition altogether to show that it wasn't a Smash rip off.

This reminds me... what is Killian working on now?

Horseress

Smash separated itself from other fighters by having a different win condition. They wanted to one up that by having a completely different win condition altogether to show that it wasn't a Smash rip off.

I get it, but I don't know what would be the problem of having life bars on PSA.

This reminds me... what is Killian working on now?

No freaking clue. Last thing I've heard of him doing something at Sony Santa Monica was when he tweeted about playing a demo of the last GoW

Omega

Banned
MahvelGAF, you guys need to step your game up.

Mass Effect fan wrote 400 pages to fix the game
and I'm assuming he got bored because more than 400 pages was needed

xCobalt

How can Eventhubs put Kazunoko in the top 10 and higher than PR Rog.

No idea honestly. Probably going by reputation rather than actual merit. They list his topanga achievements when those events only have a handful of players (really good players). His fourth place was out of like 6 people.

Dahbomb

I get it, but I don't know what would be the problem of having life bars on PSA.
It would just be a different game than Smash although ideally it should have both ring outs and just standard KOs. Like it would be similar to Smash but you would get knocked out at 200% automatically or something like that.

I feel that the platforming aspect of Smash is a big appeal and stuff like ledge grabbing or fighting outside the ring is interesting.

Yea I already commented on that although Project M already beat us by a mile and actually made something concrete out of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
The fucking hilarious thing about PSA's win condition is that you know they vacillated between that and a standard stamina lifebar system. Were it the latter, not only would it have fulfilled their goal of setting the game apart from Smash, not only would it have been a better game: it would have probably generated greater adoption among traditional FGC members - which is what they expressly wanted. People have been wanting a more orthodox 4-player fighting game forever. Remember Isuka?

Instead, the game was hornswoggled out of its chance at relevance by some procrustean bed that became nothing more than a gimmick. What a wasted opportunity that game is.

Dahbomb

so once PS360 are hacked, Project M(arvel) time? :p
I don't know when that will happen (hacked consoles that is). Even then you would need a lot of talented folks to come together and work on it especially programmers. By that time people may have lost interest in Marvel 3 altogether.

And the major difference between Marvel 3 and Brawl is that its still a very fun game with a dedicated following. A second Marvel 3 version would really splinter the playerbase.

20+ comments/jokes on the first page of the thread alone (in between that weak red/blue/greenprint jab) about how the author should write another proposal for gameplay, even though there's a section labeled 'gameplay' in the table of contents of the damn mockup.
Unfortunately, he has no corrections to make for the turret sequence.

I've never been more convinced that the first page of any thread is Amateur Hour, where the best pun wins, than after reading that thread.

so once PS360 are hacked, Project M(arvel) time? :p

No. First, someone makes a patch that perma-locks the King of Magnetism alt. Then we get the fan alts. Then we get the custom sountracks. THEN we get Project Mahvel.

I don't know when that will happen (hacked consoles that is). Even then you would need a lot of talented folks to come together and work on it especially programmers. By that time people may have lost interest in Marvel 3 altogether.

And the major difference between Marvel 3 and Brawl is that its still a very fun game with a dedicated following. A second Marvel 3 version would really splinter the playerbase.

That's a good point. Although homebrew for PS3 and 360 have come a long way, I've yet to see any game get an overhaul as significant as what Project M has done (especially with all the component-specific stuff that tends to be involved with stuff like that.) It could take 10 More Years, or even longer than that. Still, it's more likely to happen than the probability of seeing another MvC game come out, if only because it looks like it won't happen until long after Marvel's little game studio is well established.

The Light

Super to kill always seemed odd.
I think another PSAS is possible, but if Sony doesn't want to give it the budget it needs they might as well not bother.

Infiltration got robbed.

The list put too much emphasis on Topanga league rankings and current wins over previous bigger wins (like a god damn EVO title).

Topanga is a bigger deal than US majors.

No idea honestly. Probably going by reputation rather than actual merit. They list his topanga achievements when those events only have a handful of players (really good players). His fourth place was out of like 6 people.

You mean a 10 man multiple staged round robin that was a picked from prior 10 man round robin that was picked from the top field of japanese players?

Dahbomb

Topanga is a bigger deal than US majors.
Bigger than EVO? Because that's the rationale they essentially used to rate Kaz over PRRog. At least with Sako vs Infiltration you can make the case that current Sako is better than current Infiltration but you are still ignoring a vast number of accomplishments by Infiltration in that time frame where he was winning a lot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, Project M still took years upon years to implement, on hardware that isn't nearly as advanced or easy to mod than the Wii, let alone having things like XBL that would actively discourage modding. If a UMvC3 PC happens (which won't), then I can see something like that taking off nearly instantly. It'll be messier in Marvel though because multiple teams will try to balance the synergistic elements of gameplay differently. We've already seen those sorts of arguments on how to deal with Morrigan's fireball sor Doom's hidden missiles in a theoretical patch.

Yeah about the same time slot, sometimes they don't start until 9:30 EST -- still biweekly too, I believe.
Thanks, will update OP soon!

Just curious, does anyone here play Naruto UNS3? There's a tournament on Saturday I want to go out and support and it'll be there along with TTT2 and DOAU5. I intend to be a pot monster for all 3 games, but Naruto's the only one I'm pretty decent at despite hating what the series became. If anyone here does play it, what supports are popular these days? I'll be going with Mifune but I've always used Darui and Tenten since they're some of my favourite characters from the series.

Bigger than EVO? Because that's the rationale they essentially used to rate Kaz over PRRog. At least with Sako vs Infiltration you can make the case that current Sako is better than current Infiltration but you are still ignoring a vast number of accomplishments by Infiltration in that time frame where he was winning a lot.

Yeah. Japan is the top for this game so of course their biggest event is going to held at least in equal regard. You're not going to see any Jusos, Michael Tans, Dashios or Waos at Evo because they're not going to travel. But they're beating Evo champions. I say this as a player as well. Round Robin long sets should be held in higher regard. In tournaments you can just gimmick your way in 2 out of 3 and get lucky in bracket placement. With round robin you can't avoid your bad matchups or your demons.

Besides, it's only one rank above. I saw the reverse in the last ranking, ChrisG being higher than Uryo, even though it's damn obvious who's the better AE2012 Sakura. Even if you ignore Topanga results, Uryo outplaced ChrisG by a large margin in both Evo 2012 and Evo 2013. But ChrisG has a higher ranking because he's a US player and shows up to more US events. So he has way more opportunities to shine (TFC) and to fail (this weekend at Apex)

Dahbomb

We've already seen those sorts of arguments on how to deal with Morrigan's fireball sor Doom's hidden missiles in a theoretical patch.
In the case of us having an actual build to play around with it would be a lot easier to test this stuff and figure out which solution is the best.

As far as Morrigan goes, she is a easy character to fix and in Vanilla she was more fair. But Morrigan players don't want to go back to that version of Morrigan so the best way to fix that character would be to come to a middle ground between the two versions and then also severely nerf Missiles. Problem solved.

And yeah I agree that hacking the consoles and changing a game is way harder than doing it on the PC. If Marvel 3 was on PC there would already be a theoretical patch in the works.

Yeah. Japan is the top for this game so of course their biggest event is going to held at least in equal regard. You're not going to see any Jusos, Michael Tans, Dashios or Waos at Evo because they're not going to travel. But they're beating Evo champions. I say this as a player as well. Round Robin long sets should be held in higher regard. In tournaments you can just gimmick your way in 2 out of 3 and get lucky in bracket placement. With round robin you can't avoid your bad matchups or your demons.
I think this is an argument for either another day or something that needs more opinions on. A lot of people think that bigger tournament means more difficult to win in and thus is more prestigious to win in (like EVO for example). Maybe some top American players would do well in Topanga league if they played regularly in it. Right now EVO is that big stage and it's unfortunate that some players can't travel there but that's just the way it is. In addition, doing well in shorter 2/3 sets over a long duration against more players is a skillset by itself which is why its impressive that Daigo did it twice in a row.

And in the case of PRRog vs Kazonoko.. it's not that they rated Topanga ratings higher than EVO ratings... it's that they rated them higher than two EVO top 8 placing + multiple US majors. Yeah I agree with you that they messed up on ChrisG vs Uryo but they definitely messed up on PRRog vs Kazonoko as well.

Omega

Banned
Unfortunately, he has no corrections to make for the turret sequence.

I've never been more convinced that the first page of any thread is Amateur Hour, where the best pun wins, than after reading that thread.

So what the fuck did he even use 400 pages on? That was probably the third worst thing about the game behind the ending and quests being obtained via being a creeper.

you know what, nevermind. I was on BSN long enough to know what his changes are

and yeah, I think mods need to do something about that mentality. These days, the OP doesn't even matter. Everyone just clicks for the first post. a 20 page thread is 10 pages worth of people quoting the first post

I think my issue with PSAS was the very specific KO system. It needed Ring Outs or Knock Outs(Player not on screen to make it a 1v2 match). Sure the meter made you play your matchups differently knowing areas that they can use their super but many characters had trouble setting it up their kills other than letting it rip. If they added a KO or ring out type character AND super building monsters with poor kill setups, you add variety in matchup and character builds right there both in the character select screen and how the match is played overtime.

Although it was early, you didn't see much interms of mobility of pros vs casual play. Movement in the Smash tourney was the most eye opening stuff.

edit; PC UMvC3 would have been an amazing thing. Mods, better connections (maybe?), and exposing the game to a larger playerbase. If only they tied the H&H to steam cards and had community costumes for sale.

Top Bottom