• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Azure J

The Nintendoom going around on GAF has managed to bring out the absolute worst from an expected few GAF members which in turn poisons the well for discussions. It's also made it so any chance of me participating in Nintendo threads not about their games has diminished quite a bit. Mind you, I'm one of the more critical fans of the 2010 - 2014 Iwata era Nintendo.

Glad to see everything's in good hands with Dnyce. The FGC really doesn't need more loss in it future.

That was a quick reply LOL!
Dat 1 frame reply!

I'm not a regular here on the Weekly thread, but I've been following the DNyce thing on Twitter. I'm glad he's ok, I hope he sees all the responses as a moment of clarity and gets help. We never know what the next man goes through, or how to help, but it never hurts to ask for help. Some people don't get that second chance. Hope he gets better.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Dude take the money! :p (unless there are nasty strings attached)

I never had an opportunity to work with the promotion due to too many contractual gigs right now. If I was to work with Microsoft directly on an ad-campaign, that's fine, especially if they're sponsoring something like Assist Me or Tutorials. Although, it seems the people that have issues with this ad-campaign are PS4 diehards. Seriously guys, buy a Dreamcast.

sleepykyo

people apparently found out max signed up for the microsoft astroturf advertising gig or whatever.

Not surprise if its true.

I could use the cash. Xbox One is amazing. Dead Rising 3 is the best. Microsoft? Capcom?

Heck, Sony isn't far from here. God of War is the Gladiator of video games.

I had kind of a personal issue with the promotion. If I was to work with Microsoft directly on an ad-campaign, that's fine, especially if they're sponsoring something like Assist Me or Tutorials. Although, it seems the people that have issues with this ad-campaign are PS4 diehards. Seriously guys, buy a Dreamcast.

uhhh does that include journalist and the LA business journal?

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/news/2014/jan/20/machinima-microsoft-deal-make-it-pay-play/

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/20/53...t-paying-youtube-producers-xbox-one-machinima

Its also illegal apparently in the UK and the UK machinima branch agreed to this deal with MS (according to people in that thread).

I honestly think its stupid to label that the people that have issues with it are "ps4 diehards".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
capturey6e4q.png

Hopefully the people around him can help him out from here.
Hope he recovers :(

Riposte

Once I find out someone is into the console war, I can't help but hold their posts in suspect.

I also met a hardcore Sony fanboy in real life, one of my study buddies for class. Something I had to block out mentally. Also he didn't have PS+, I found that odd.

Dahbomb

I never had an opportunity to work with the promotion due to too many contractual gigs right now. If I was to work with Microsoft directly on an ad-campaign, that's fine, especially if they're sponsoring something like Assist Me or Tutorials. Although, it seems the people that have issues with this ad-campaign are PS4 diehards. Seriously guys, buy a Dreamcast.
I like you and I have watched pretty much all of your videos...

But that was not the right thing to say. This campaign or whatever they are doing is practically bribing. Like we all joke about money hats and stuff but that stuff is usually done under the table... this is being done out in the open.

Silky

Banned
Hope Dnyce pulls through. :l

--

Isn't Machinima like really shifty when it comes to people putting their content through them?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I like you and I have watched pretty much all of your videos...

But that was not the right thing to say. This campaign or whatever they are doing is practically bribing. Like we all joke about money hats and stuff but that stuff is usually done under the table... this is being done out in the open.

Granted, all I know about the XB1 promo is you get a $3 for saying you are playing an XB1 game. Nothing beyond that. Is this thing really an issue?

*okay wtf at this other thread*
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97839551&postcount=506

What's so illegal about it?

Granted, all I know about the XB1 promo is you get a $3 for saying you are playing an XB1 game. Nothing beyond that. Is this thing really an issue?

in the UK apparently, it is illegal to promote something without letting people know if you are paid to do it. At least that is what I heard, no confirmation.

It is sleazy because now you have a bunch of people who are talking good shit about xb1, and you can't trust them because you don't know if they are being paid to do so.

Hell if I had a youtube channel with hundreds of thousands of subs, I would talk great shit about xb1 and I don't even have one. The big issue is the part where you can't disclose that you are being paid by MS to talk about good things about the XB1

Dahbomb

It's an issue when sites who put out reviews or opinion/preview videos are forced to take a neutral or favored stance with an Xbox One game.

Like if for example you got Titanfall on day 1 and didn't like it... you can't make a video talking about it's negative points because that is against the agreement (if you signed/agreed to it).

At least that's my understanding of it.

According to a leaked copy of the full legal agreement behind the promotion, video creators "may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its Games" and must keep the details of the promotional agreement confidential in order to qualify for payment. In other words, to get the money, video makers have to speak positively (or at least neutrally) about the Xbox One, and they can't say they're being paid to do so.

I wouldn't say its illegal but I would say it puts a big question of integrity over the content published by these video makers.

Once I find out someone is into the console war, I can't help but hold their posts in suspect.

I also met a hardcore Sony fanboy in real life, one of my study buddies for class. Something I had to block out mentally. Also he didn't have PS+, I found that odd.
This sounds like a prime opportunity for trolling. "A Sony fanboy who don't even have PS+, a shameful fanboy"

Silky

Banned
I'm pretty sure you don't need a leaked copy of a legal agreement to know that people being sponsored by something aren't supposed to say anything bad. Defeats the purpose of the sponsorship.

Still, it's a stupid thing to do, but hey if you're in it for the dough go on ahead, no one's judging you
right now

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
It's an issue when sites who put out reviews or opinion/preview videos are forced to take a neutral or favored stance with an Xbox One game.

Like if for example you got Titanfall on day 1 and didn't like it... you can't make a video talking about it's negative points because that is against the agreement (if you signed/agreed to it).

At least that's my understanding of it.

Okay, makes more sense. Does seen rather odd.

Really, if you guys are ever concerned about me promoting an event/merchandise/someone, it'll be OBVIOUS. I'll tell you who's sponsoring a video, where you should go to support them, and what they paid for or sent me during a production process. Granted, this barely happens on my channel, and I do most promotion/support for free because I believe in the success of something I think deserves it.

I'm very open with who's sponsoring videos. The easiest way to tell, is if it has an ESRB logo at the beginning.

I'm pretty sure you don't need a leaked copy of a legal agreement to know that people being sponsored by something aren't supposed to say anything bad. Defeats the purpose of the sponsorship.

Also had no idea this was a thing until a minute ago.

Okay, makes more sense. Does seen rather odd.

Really, if you guys are ever concerned about me promoting an event/merchandise/someone, it'll be OBVIOUS. I'll tell you who's sponsoring a video, where you should go to support them, and what they paid for or sent me during a production process. Granted, this barely happens on my channel, and I do most promotion/support for free because I believe in the success of something I think deserves it.

I'm very open with who's sponsoring videos. The easiest way to tell, is if it has an ESRB logo at the beginning.

that the biggest problem with this. You aren't allowed to by contract according to what has been shown in that thread via the confidentiality clause.

I don't think you're a shill or anything. I'm just not surprise if anyone of the bigger gaming channels would accept it. Its more shit on MS part for doing something like this. I might of taken advantage of it if I was in that situation.

I just want more Marvel videos from Max. Also, I am surprised that Machinima or Youtube doesn't force people to take those online courses about content disclosure or inside information. I had to take a bunch of those for 2014.

Omega

Banned
even if Max did do that, would anyone even notice?

He does a better job promoting Killer Instinct than Double Helix and Microsoft themselves.

He does a better job promoting Killer Instinct than Double Helix and Microsoft themselves.

ehh thats the problem. I have heard from friends that max is a shill. Obviously I have no idea if its true or not. Just letting Max know what kind of image he portrays to some people.

I'm leaning towards a no, considering his financial position a few months back and the whole assist me series before capcom got involved

Shingin

I am so hyped for SCR. I hope the Full Boost tourney goes off without any of the disconnect problems that plagued the evo side tourney top 8. I think you guys who haven't seen EXVS will get hyped watching it.

Only a week and a half left to release!

Heads up for the internet connection for the EXVSFB tournament at SCR we will be using a dedicated internet line for Gundam stations. I'm aiming for at least 4 stations but we can support up to 12 if people bring setups.

If your local to socal you should really come out to rebel up events at super arcade we normally have 4 stations (maybe 8 once fb comes out) setup for free play on lan. It's a really good way to get some practice in.

Yeah, he's pimpin' KI pretty hard, but I respect that cuz he seems to really like it.

And when the heck are we gettin' the next KI Tutorial vid? I need help. T-T

alstein

I don't have an issue with shilling, but it should be out in the open, especially after SFxTK.

I do think a couple folks in the FGC do stealth marketing. It doesn't mean I dislike them, but it means I hold their opinions on what is good very suspect.

Max has explained himself, so I'm happy with that (but mate, I'd suggest checking those agreements carefully!)

The problem is not every source can or will do the same thing, so it is another blow towards trusting what you read or see online.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's not like people haven't accused him of payola already, especially considering he was getting all these exclusives straight from Double Helix which works as a win-win for both of them whether it's explicitly done or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Max gets a job offer thrown his way either (if it hasn't been already) from Double Helix. He's certainly put in the work and we've seen similar people on YT who've built their brand or at least shown their work ethic and dedication so IMO he deserves it. Might be tough with how he'd maintain his YT channel in such a case, but he'd have his foot into the door in the industry.

I don't have an issue with shilling, but it should be out in the open, especially after SFxTK.

I do think a couple folks in the FGC do stealth marketing. It doesn't mean I dislike them, but it means I hold their opinions on what is good very suspect.
This, so, so very much. In fact, I take what a lot of top players say with a grain of salt. Generally don't care for their opinions on new games at all.

Dahbomb

I think what most people should take away from this is that you should take what you see on YT with a grain of salt especially those associated with big name companies and sites (ie. Machinima). You should also be very careful about how you interpret the impressions of people who get early access stuff because most early access stuff comes with these types of contracts.

This, so, so very much. In fact, I take what a lot of top players say with a grain of salt. Generally don't care for their opinions on new games at all.

Pretty much. The good thing is most of them are so ... bad at it... that it is kind of obvious and not much harm is done.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah astroturfing has been going on in the FGC for a while now and it's pretty obvious.

Like it got to the point where I stopped watching streams outside of majors for a while because I was kind of sick of people trying to sell me stuff "for the good of the community" or whatever. Just seemed so fake.

vocab

OMG ITS LIKE CVS2
THIS IS THE BEST FIGHTING GAME EVER
SFIV IS DEAD WHEN THIS GAME COMES OUT

alstein

OMG ITS LIKE CVS2
THIS IS THE BEST FIGHTING GAME EVER
SFIV IS DEAD WHEN THIS GAME COMES OUT

I do think SFxTK and its massive issues on launch made the average joe in the FGC a lot more Wary of hyped-up games.

I find GAF a better place than SRK to get impressions on fighters in general, provided you stick to the people who you think know what they're talking about and have opinions similar to yours.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty much. The good thing is most of them are so ... bad at it... that it is kind of obvious and not much harm is done.
Yeah. And even in the case that there isn't money exchanged, it's usually very clear the kind of biases that arise from being afforded the opportunity to play something early. Mix that with not having a complete picture in the first place because of an incomplete build they're playing and the value of drawing your own conclusions rises considerably. Personally, I put no stock in any judgments made about if something is good or feels good, that's something only I can decide and does not factor into my own purchasing decisions.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Yeah astroturfing has been going on in the FGC for a while now and it's pretty obvious.

Like it got to the point where I stopped watching streams outside of majors for a while because I was kind of sick of people trying to sell me stuff "for the good of the community" or whatever. Just seemed so fake.

My relationship with Capcom and other companies has been much different than a lot of this stuff.

When something is produced, I deliver a product to please my clients for what they want. That might be a tutorial, character breakdown, live action sketch, trailer or whatever. And I do that, and it's obvious it's an official product because it has an ESRB logo at the beginning, or will be featured on other websites.

There's usually no altering of opinions or otherwise, I'm making a tutorial, so I focus on making a good tutorial, and that's the end of a contract.

SFxT was just super obvious. I'm pretty sure Gootecks has mentioned before that capcom has paid them to do it.

you also had Fingercramps doing that whole thing with Jago and etc. Shit was superrrr obvious. If the SFxT they were playing was the current version of the game, it would of been all fine, but the vanilla version had tons of issue that forever cemented a distrust for capcom fighters.

sleepykyo

Seems Microsoft would prefer if they didn't notice the connection.

MvC3 Max was Max. Killer Instinct Max was embedded reporter Max. Now Max is simply receives contributions from Microsoft in exchange for positive or neutral coverage. Which by itself isn't wrong as long the connection is clear or disclosed.

Ghazi

Bb.. But E-Cigs are healthy for you!!!!

:p

Top Bottom