• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Shito

When is Harada going to lead production on an Im@s fighting game? :3

OK, serious question: How much of the game are you willing to change, in order to either keep the game fresh for dedicated players or to try to pick up new players (or previous players who dropped the series at some point)?

(There's a hint toward this in Tekken Revolution, with the changes to movement and how okizeme works, along with the invincible moves, but is that the extent of it? Will you ever try something as radical as what happened with TTT1 to Tekken 4 now?)

Here's the thing: I don't know how that low percentage (and I'm not questioning that statistic -- that's something I've seen reported in multiple places) with the average session time. There's no way that a free player is going to be playing for 2+ hours at time, it's possible but that leads to a lot of waiting in-game. Granted, they may log off and come back in a couple of hours, but you're not going to run up 2+ hours of game time in a day doing that. It's possible that I am completely misinterpreting that statistic -- do they mean continuous time in-game, or just time played per day, or something else?

The other issue I would have is that the playerbase does not stay even over time. It hit a million downloads fairly quickly, and took about 6 months to hit its current number (which Harada clarified as being 2.8 million on Twitter).
I'd say there are probably quite a few people letting their game run while they are waiting for their tokens to refill, thus making the global average time bigger.
That's exactly what I used to do when I was grinding JoJo ASB's campaign mode: I would let my ps3 on while watching the tv or play on my PC or whatever while my energy would refill.

The way you execute movement in both marvel and tekken is jarring. Marvel has rapid button presses and tekken rapid joystick movements. Pick your poison.

Personally, seeing somebody good in tekken who has movement down dashing in and out of range and around people is a pretty thing. I can't do it, so it makes me even more jelly, haha. People moving around in marvel is nice looking too.

As for visually with what they are doing, its looks weird when you really think about it in both games, especially the ground plink dashing. The air movement looks better than the ground stuff in marvel. I like how doom gets around though. Stylish.

I think movement in injustice and mk look jarring. Kof looks pretty smooth. I like run systems.

The only game with smoother movement than Marvel is Smash Bros. Wavedashing is not jarring or clunky. It flows smoothly. You have to mash directions over and over to slightly move in Tekken, and your character looks like he or she is having a seizure. Plink dashing is likely an unintended feature, so I dont think it is on the table in terms of discussing intended features.

Exactly what I mean you're delussional. I love how people like this guy make obviously false points and then back it up with nothing. Wave Dashing and Backdash canceling in Marvel is the same thing as in Tekken and looks the same. Canceling a dash with a crouch. Get over yourself.

El Sloth

Banned
Should have been SaltFace is grand finals, I'm sure he could have beat Forever King. People would have whined about zoning heavy grand finals and ResidentSleepjustice etc etc though.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't really know the technical aspects of dark souls combat too well, but generally if I get backstabbed, it looks like the dude instantly teleports from being in front of me to already being in the backstab animation. Maybe they're doing something like a kara throw where it fucks with the hitboxes?

Also I use Iaito, which is a quick light weapon so I don't think I'm leaving myself too open with it.

Thanks for the reddit link though, I'll give that a look.

I think there are certain things people can do when they can read certain kinds of movement to exploit the way characters track during lock on and end up behind you suddenly and it ends up looking like that. Like if you're locked on and circling for a backstab or something and you get backstabbed instead, it's probably that. Otherwise, probably just lag.

well injustice movement has been speeding up as people have gotten better at it, watch clips from before evo and you'll see the difference nowadays

but yeah it definitely has assy graphics and music and sound effects, can't argue with that heh

Zissou

Did you get buss-assed (3-0) or was it competitive?

My question to Harada-San is when do they plan to give some Tekken love on Steam? TTT2 or Revolution...ANYTHING!

Tournament format was single elim best of three and I lost 2-1 (lost-won-lost) against Emumaki. He went on to body KBR next round 2-0 (for some reason Nova players were having unusual success against KBR- they would just cr.M under lariat and I don't think he expected them to press buttons in that situation? not sure). The only way to view the archives is through having a nico nico premium account, but I've got a friend who has one who's going to get the match footage of me losing so I can put it on youtube or something and post it in marvel gaf so you guys can tell me where I fucked up, haha.

Arde5643

well injustice movement has been speeding up as people have gotten better at it, watch clips from before evo and you'll see the difference nowadays

but yeah it definitely has assy graphics and music and sound effects, can't argue with that heh

It's definitely a different beast in both zoning and footsie-wise in comparison to 2D staples such as SF, KOF, MK.

Although I'm glad for it though, it actually successfully developed its own brand of 2D fighting style without hugely deviating from the norm thanks to the implementation of dashes, trait and background interactables.

jbug617

Banned
D'ynce is back on twitter.
@DiNyc3st: Hey guys finally got my phone back over the weekend. Just want to take the time to say thank you all for your concerns. I'm doing fine!

@DiNyc3st: I've been through a lot of stress over the months to the point that I lost my job and almost took my life for the worst.

@DiNyc3st: I'll be away for awhile just need to reevaluate on my life. No more pain killers for awhile 😅 I'll be in FL feb 3rd-4th

Top Bottom