• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 27 - Aug 2 | Beta luck next time

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
J6aXycU.gif

Week of July 27th to August 2nd, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is a place for all things fighting games. News, game discussion, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related. Here are some quick links:

Xep7GPe.jpg

Capcom Pro Tour Shanghai Qualifier [ Friday ] [ 2PM Shanghai | 2AM EDT | 11PM PDT Thursday ]
Vortex to Victory [ Saturday ] [ 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
  • CasMadden & Next Level present a USFIV tournament with a $500 prize for first place, who will also qualify for the next TKoNY event.
  • More information is available here.

GRRINei.jpg

xkso6AQ.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at Fraeon!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
Of the current crop, I mostly play Tekken Tag 2, though I also play some USF4 and (as of late) Yatagarasu on the side.

As for my all time favourite, I'm probably going to go with Soulcalibur II. It's pretty much the first game I tried to take seriously and it had just the right kind of mix of simplicity and complexity to it at the time I started. Sure, you got some gnarly shit like step guard in there, but even that doesn't ruin what makes the game fun.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
My favourite ones? It's a toss-up between GRD from UNIEL and the wager system in Injustice. Both are like miniature games within the game. GRD is a tug of war game that rewards you for playing the actual game right. If you play the game "wrong", you can still win.

On the other hand, the wager system is a neat rock-paper-scissors type of game within a combo breaker. The fact that you can only use it once and on if you're down a round is also neat.

My least favourite ones would be extended combos with gazillions of hits or things like rage in Tekken, which make characters with scary fast pokes even scarier.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I used to play a lot of Quake and Quake II but the meat in those games was the clan play, which ended up souring me from team-based gameplay for years. Even now I'd rather have a good 1v1 game than a team game.

Played a whole ton of Street Fighter II on the SNES as a kid but I can't say very much of it has to do with the interest I have with fighting games as of now. Soulcalibur II ended up being the game that actually got me to studying the game and wanting to be good at it. Tried a whole bunch of other games but I think Street Fighter IV was the first game where I got even meager success when going to local events.

These days I mostly play Tekken as far as fighting games go. I appreciate the depth and I get to play that offline more of than once in six months.

Outside of fighting games, I pretty much play whatever. I really enjoy 2D platformers, shmups and roguelikes, though. Right now I got Gradius V to 1CC.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
The common joke at offline events is that if a character has boobs and a butt attack, I'm probably playing them. That's true in Tekken (Lili's item throw in Tekken 6 is a butt attack) and with Street Fighter (Honda) so I guess there's some truth to that.

But if there's a choice, I always go Team Rich Bitch. #PutKarinInSF5
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
Basically if I can wait while you do the mistakes, that's the best outcome I can have. That's pretty much why I gravitate towards the Hondas and Guiles of each game.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I'm patient. Really, really, really patient. I'm good at waiting things out and sometimes this can actually be a detriment. Either I get rushed down heavily for this or on the other hand when forced to rush others down, my offense is rather predictable. I can too easily get into this one-track mind thing where I really want some setup or move to land and if my opponent is aware of that, they can easily counter it.

It also doesn't help that I adapt terribly slowly. If my opponent suddenly starts doing things I've never seen or anticipated before, it takes me several games before I get back into my groove.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Probably getting reasonable results in the beginning of Street Fighter IV is one of my best moments.

My worst moments are losing to opponents I've beaten soundly before and beat them after. During one of the biweeklies we run I was beaten by a guy who I beat 10-0 before the tournament and 10-0 the next week. It always stings.
What do you want from future fighting games?
I want the DOTA2 of fighting games.

Something like it even exists... in China. It's called Xuan Dou Zhi Wang. Just have the prequisite offline modes there too.

Rising Thunder aspires to be the Heroes of the Storm of the genre and I really like a lot of the things they aspire to be doing. I'm slightly unsure about the input system but I applied for their alpha because they're doing something new in this space and that's awesome.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Why hasn't nycfurby been on the spotlight?

If he's not available, give me DEATH™.
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 are sure buys. Mighty No. 9 and Dark Souls III are on that list too.

DoOLzrD.jpg

Code:
WINTER Rivals of Aether
MARCH  Street Fighter V
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    BlazBlue: Central Fiction
TBD    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Pokken Tournament
TBD    Rising Thunder
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

X6W2n28.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

rudhdjL.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So people can remember how Not Good SC2 is?

I get why people have a lot of nostalgia for the game, but at high levels the game is about as fun as watching paint dry.
idk, I liked watching the vids aris was posting from old evos and stuff

Kumubou

Is it endless parries, or something?
The parries are actually really bad in SC2, due to a glitch that lets the person who had their attack parried block.

The biggest issues with SC2 mainly come down to step-guard (which is what it sounds like -- you step, and then hold guard and you will block any incoming attacks that would normally hit people sidestepping) being absurdly strong and due to that, very few moves being viable with characters.

Dahbomb

I am not really sure how lowering the time limit is going to promote more defensive playstyle. Or at the very least the GOOD kind of defensive playstyle... not the SFxT defensive playstyle where people get the life lead and try to win by time out.

People are still going to play rushdown and mix you up to kill you fast.

It's actually better as it is now because you don't have as many time overs and IF you do it would actually be omega hype.

The parries are actually really bad in SC2, due to a glitch that lets the person who had their attack parried block.

The biggest issues with SC2 mainly come down to step-guard (which is what it sounds like -- you step, and then hold guard and you will block any incoming attacks that would normally hit people sidestepping) being absurdly strong and due to that, very few moves being viable with characters.
Assassin is so fun though :3

Shouta

Only Justin ever really forced time outs for wins. Most other timeouts in SFxT came through standard neutral play which means the timer was too damn fast. >=o

Dahbomb

Edit: NVM I am bugging.

Yeah I have not seen any time outs either. Only match extension due to draw. Happened at ESL which was hype.

Top Bottom