• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 28 - Aug 3 | The thirst is UNiEL

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So I just randomly came across this IGN review of MVC2 for Xbox when browsing a trading site that shows IGN review scores. It got a 3.9?!

Said review can be found here.

Now, I should note that it was posted on April 1, so I think it might be an April Fools joke -- some of the "critiques" point to it as well, because they're so dumb.

That being said, the review doesn't really read like a satire at all -- at least to me.

Thoughts?

Totally deserved review.

MVC2 on original XBox had severely altered gameplay and awkward slowdown like the PS2 version. Also, there was literally a year of hype leading up to its release about the game being the 3rd Capcom online fighting game ever next to CVS2 and 3rd Strike, but when it hit store shelves(and I was there to get my copy) the entire online functionality was scrapped for 'leaderboards' instead. Game was a fking sham and a horrible arcade counterpart to the Dreamcast version.

However, at the time and due to every copy of MVC2 being rare, you couldn't buy the XB or PS2 version of the game for under $100 from most stores.

Totally deserved review.

MVC2 on original XBox had severely altered gameplay and awkward slowdown like the PS2 version. Also, there was literally a year of hype leading up to its release about the game being the 3rd Capcom online fighting game ever next to CVS2 and 3rd Strike, but when it hit store shelves(and I was there to get my copy) the entire online functionality was scrapped for 'leaderboards' instead. Game was a fking sham and a horrible arcade counterpart to the Dreamcast version.

However, at the time and due to every copy of MVC2 being rare, you couldn't buy the XB or PS2 version of the game for under $100 from most stores.

That's all fair enough, but a lot of the critiques were asinine as well. For instance, Graphics (3): "Only two dimensions and there are big old pixels everywhere."

Gameplay (5): "The fighting system in MvsC2 is preferred over the Cap vs SNK system on Xbox, but it still isn't innovative enough for 2003." It's a port, and even if it is old it still played well, no? Certainly not a 5, I'd think.

Lasting appeal (2): "Lots of characters and costumes and galleries to unlock, but you're getting nothing new for your 40 bones."

Considering people still play MVC2 to this day, I'd say it more than stands the test of time. And, yes, it's not the best version, but at the time of release I feel safe in saying it was a port for people who couldn't find a cheap copy for DC (or didn't have a DC at all.)

Also, are you Maximilian from YouTube? If so, I really enjoy your channel, and I'm loving the classic Marvel games week!

If you're not the same dude, call me a dummy :)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
That's all fair enough, but a lot of the critiques were asinine as well. For instance, Graphics (3): "Only two dimensions and there are big old pixels everywhere."

Gameplay (5): "The fighting system in MvsC2 is preferred over the Cap vs SNK system on Xbox, but it still isn't innovative enough for 2003." It's a port, and even if it is old it still played well, no? Certainly not a 5, I'd think.

Lasting appeal (2): "Lots of characters and costumes and galleries to unlock, but you're getting nothing new for your 40 bones."

Considering people still play MVC2 to this day, I'd say it more than stands the test of time. And, yes, it's not the best version, but at the time of release I feel safe in saying it was a port for people who couldn't find a cheap copy for DC (or didn't have a DC at all.)

Also, are you Maximilian from YouTube? If so, I really enjoy your channel, and I'm loving the classic Marvel games week!

If you're not the same dude, call me a dummy :)
reviews are for the general public. none of your quoted comments sound obtuse to me with that in mind.

Totally deserved review.

Wha? 3rd Strike didn't drop on Xbox until 2005...

For some reason I still have both Eventhubs and Polygon on my RSS feed.

Polygon because they had some awesome features (which, reading a thread today I realized they're not going to do anymore, so that's being removed) and Eventhubs just cause they post everything. I shouldn't really have Eventhubs there but it's handy on the occasion something isn't posted here.

rip google reader yo. I just have srk on my rss feeds for that fgc news since it's way faster than visiting the site

CurlyW

Viscant is the Rebecca Black of Marvel

Lord Knight is the Tay Zonday of Blazblue

Duckator is the Skateboarding Dog of Skullgirls

Shito

So, Jiyuna is currently streaming some Uniel, joining or creating beginners rooms just so he can connect and practice Waldstein's infinite.
Been a long time I hadn't watched one of his streams, but that fucker didn't change one bit! ^^

.la1n

So, Jiyuna is currently streaming some Uniel, joining or creating beginners rooms just so he can connect and practice Waldstein's infinite.
Been a long time I hadn't watched one of his streams, but that fucker didn't change one bit! ^^

If I got caught in the infinite enough times I am not sure I could bring myself to play the game online anymore.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I guess it was FT25. Coach Mook gave Flux that work.

01-money-burn-anim.gif
01-money-burn-anim.gif
01-money-burn-anim.gif

s/o to XF -> Spiral Swords in Bionic Arm range

That Javelin mixup at the end tho

I won't say Flux is a bad player but he thinks too high of himself and just gets bopped on the regular. He lets his team carry him instead of him carrying his team. Coach Steve (swell guy by the way if you ever meet him in person) carries his team, he makes his team, while Flux's team makes him.

How many long sets is Insaynne gonna win against Flux before Flux stops challenging him to long sets?

Until Flux stops playing the game.

Totally deserved review.

So Crapcom was still Crapcom even then? No surprise.

Zenith 2014 is this weekend after a dry spell of major Smash tournaments. Tournament thread here

Feat. M2K, Hax, Axe, Fly Amanita, Zer0, Zhu, DJ Nintendo, The Moon, and more.

Eh I could actually go to this tournament since my school is hosting it apparently but I'm too lazy.

Horseress

Daigo parry day should be like fgc Christmas, where everyone gets each other fighting games and fighting game accessories, and Markman comes down the chimney at night to give out sticks.

"your fool, MarkMan doesn't actually exists, it's just something our parents made up"

That seems like a blow up just looking at the results. Was it?

Vergil was damn near useless since Flux couldn't block the incoming mix up. I don't think Vergil killed anyone until like 8 games in or something. Flux was just mentally broken. He rage quit like 5 seconds in on his 24th loss.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Insaynne just has a game plan, and knows how to execute it. He really is just a death machine, waiting for you to slip up and find yourself grinded to dust.

Flux is too risky in the neutral, and of course, he couldn't block some incoming mixups that Insaynne abused.

m3nk111a

Banned
Daigo parry day should be like fgc Christmas, where everyone gets each other fighting games and fighting game accessories, and Markman comes down the chimney at night to give out sticks.

Im getting two Sanwa replacement buttons for my ol' faithful. So...
Happy Daigo Parry everyone!

Nyoro SF

what team does coach steve play?

Nova / Spencer / Doom.

Quite the strong team when I was watching it. Doom's Plasma Beam is definitely one of the best, if not the best horizontal beam assists in the game. Both Spencer and Nova have quick aerial horizontal movement with fantastic hitboxes that work with the Beam assist, not to mention they're strong characters assistless too.

It looks like Nova can fight Zero well.

Steve's consistency with his combos and setups was extremely good. Regardless of the fighting game, it's always consistency and mental stamina that I felt were the two most important things to have as a top player.

Steve vs Flux further goes to illustrate the point me & other people in the know have been saying for awhile. ZMC is not that good, Zero has fallen off as a point character.

If you watched the match it was clear what I've been saying forever which is Zero's neutral game mix ups are not good. Zero is just really good at punishing you for fucking up in neutral(only after a 3 second charge though) but everything else he has is what ever.

It also doesn't help that ZMC has no real neutral assist. This is the problem that has plagued Zero forever & will continue to. Without Dante, Zero's incoming is nothing special but if you pick Dante you then need to make a choice, neutral Assist or anchor character, you can't have both.

Top Bottom