• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

- Volcano stage + E ryu
- Sagat/Adon on Sunset Ship
- Blanka with the lightup costume on Drive-In
- People that pick training stage just cause you know they practice their spacing and setups so much that they need the lines and they totally aren't going to just mash dp on wakeup.

Yeah.

Black Oni costume on the Mad Gear Hideout stage when it goes dark

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I always pick training stage online because you have to minimize lag as much as possible, especially on console.

The worst stage is the drive-in stage though.

El Sloth

Banned
- Volcano stage + E ryu
- Sagat/Adon on Sunset Ship
- Blanka with the lightup costume on Drive-In
- People that pick training stage just cause you know they practice their spacing and setups so much that they need the lines and they totally aren't going to just mash dp on wakeup.

Yeah.
I usually pick Training Stage to reduce the chance of lag if the other person has a yellow bar or lower/has started lagging a bit.

I don't actually know if it makes a real difference or not, but it does make me feel better. The stage totally has to be better than, say, Drive-In At Night with a laggy connection though!

cHaotix8

I like Cruise Ship Stern, the Russian Train Station, Morning Mist Bay, Cosmic Elevator, Mad Gear Hideout, the Jurassic Area, and Run-down back alley (with Gen's theme playing). I really liked Pit Stop in SFXT but they changed the music and it seems way more distracting in this game.

I usually pick Training Stage to reduce the chance of lag if the other person has a yellow bar or lower/has started lagging a bit.

Yeah, a lot of the new stages can have horrendous lag when there gets to be a lot of objects on the screen. Personally, training mode is way too boring.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Persia is commentating at EVO

Eh, I don't like her on commentary. She's a great person to be around but her commentary isn't usually on the match... Its on something else happening. I hope this isn't for Marvel top 8, I would shoot myself. It better be my man Mr. Mendoza with Tasty Steve! YOU HEAR THAT WIZARD?!?!?! NOT MAGNUS OR JAMES CHEN OR ULTRADAVID! TASTY FREAKING STEVE!

#BANTRAININGSTAGE

except on console online specifically PS3

Training stage is so good.

Tizoc

Seeing as I may not get 13-15 July off, I'm trying to not have night shifts during so I can catch some of the matches.

Eh, I don't like her on commentary. She's a great person to be around but her commentary isn't usually on the match... Its on something else happening. I hope this isn't for Marvel top 8, I would shoot myself. It better be my man Mr. Mendoza with Tasty Steve! YOU HEAR THAT WIZARD?!?!?! NOT MAGNUS OR JAMES CHEN OR ULTRADAVID! TASTY FREAKING STEVE!

I wish I could bold TastySteve more. Pair him with James or Ultra and you got a good one/two punch.

CurlyW

Wizard doesn't make the decisions on who does commentary, when they do it, and for which games. That job is delegated.

I can 99% guarantee that Persia will be commentating Marvel pools (possibly semis) and not Top 8.

I can 100% guarantee that Tasty Steve will not be commentating Marvel Top 8.

AAK

I wish I could bold TastySteve more. Pair him with James or Ultra and you got a good one/two punch.

But GAF told me Tekken players hate Marvel? Why would you want one of them bad mouthing Marvel?

that freaking blanka costume with all the random crap is the biggest offense of street fighter. All the characters that have a costuem with that weirdly large knot on their body is dumb

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wizard doesn't make the decisions on who does commentary, when they do it, and for which games. That job is delegated.

I can 99% guarantee that Persia will be commentating Marvel pools (possibly semis) and not Top 8.

I don't believe Persia was delegated fairly to do commentary on Marvel. She rarely does it as is, and if she does, people are usually complaining on how she is not commentating on the matches and just laughing the entire time. I'm not calling you out on anything Curley, I love ya breh, but I when I smell something fishy, I gotta call it out.

On the other hand, Tasty Steve has acquired a very strong resume in commentating past events such as the Curleh Mustache's to garner him the title of being a Marvel commentator. He has enthusiasm and is on point with key moments in matches.

Quick question though, if Wizard isn't delegating it, then who is? I assumed he was one of the heads running the tournament.

But GAF told me Tekken players hate Marvel? Why would you want one of them bad mouthing Marvel?

Tasty has commentated Marvel on multiple occasions with Yipes and others, with it being a winning duo.

ggs karst, I have to run. Family's in town visiting me/getting dinner with me!
That Hanzushu gets me every time, and I feel like such a sucker. -_-

GGs to Silk, Onemic, Smedwicks, and especially Vulva. Vulva, those were excellent lessons in patience for me. I really, really need to figure out how to anti-air with Blanka, though. Advice is appreciated, as always.

You forgot to guarantee the one that is actually bad...

hwateber

Tasty Steve and Yipes is such a great combo for color commentary. I think the recliner joke is my favorite of all time

vulva

That Hanzushu gets me every time, and I feel like such a sucker. -_-

GGs to Silk, Onemic, Smedwicks, and especially Vulva. Vulva, those were excellent lessons in patience for me. I really, really need to figure out how to anti-air with Blanka, though. Advice is appreciated, as always.
Have a few minutes before my family gets here, just finished getting ready.

When you do land your U1, hold it for max damage. Sometimes if you whiff it, still hold it. You might catch characters trying to punish it poorly.

Charge your upball often, it's a solid anti-air and also a get out of jail card sometimes.

Do something other than throw off hop. Throwing works great online off a hop, but it is predictable and consider other options (hop electricity is a decent variant/mixup).

Be careful of your opponent's potential punishes and go for calculated risks. We could have a whole game where you never threw a blanka ball once, then when I had ultra you'd throw out an ex-blanka ball which I can punish even if I'm hit. Doing so results in massive health loss and loss of meter in exchange for very minimal damage on my char.

Patience is huge with Blanka, since he sucks at getting in. His greatest asset is his slide against fireballs, but a good player will just stop throwing fireballs or do it very very rarely.

Consider doing light balls to close the gap but not intending to hit the opponent. With proper spacing this can lead to a nice throw/electricity/whatever else mixup right in front of the opponent

Meh if were talking about commentary, i'm going to say what I say after every tourney. Can we please get better commentators for the "anime" games. I play basically everything and I never, know what the fuck they are talking about 9 times out of 10. When they are commentating characters I play, all in, know exactly whats going on. When there are characters I don't play... the commentary takes a noticeable dive.

They gotta start explaining more of the game's moves based on what they are seeing visually, and why it was used. Every fucking Blazblue/Persona/w/e game has the same problem. They are just spouting inputs on the mic but not what -j.2C- is or why it was so effective. It's fine for people who play and know exactly what going on but even for me who dabbles in everything it just gets hard to follow or worse annoying. That and their "commentary" on the players is the most interpersonal "this community only" shit I've heard. I really don't know who or what the hell they are talking about half the time.

I just keep having this issue with each stream. I love BB, P4, and what not but man....

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Persia is a very good commentator. EVO being such a huge event it'll probably need multiple commentators for all certain games.

MrWizard

Evo Co-Founder

You dont know the inner workings of Evo, so stop commentating like you do.

Infinite

Meh if were talking about commentary, i'm going to say what I say after every tourney. Can we please get better commentators for the "anime" games. I play basically everything and I never, know what the fuck they are talking about 9 times out of 10. When they are commentating characters I play, all in, know exactly whats going on. When there are characters I don't play... the commentary takes a noticeable dive.

They gotta start explaining more of the game's moves based on what they are seeing visually, and why it was used. Every fucking Blazblue/Persona/w/e game has the same problem. They are just spouting inputs on the mic but not what -j.2C- is or why it was so effective. It's fine for people who play and know exactly what going on but even for me who dabbles in everything it just gets hard to follow or worse annoying. That and their "commentary" on the players is the most interpersonal "this community only" shit I've heard. I really don't know who or what the hell they are talking about half the time.

I just keep having this issue with each stream. I love BB, P4, and what not but man....

I feel exactly the same way. What's interesting is that I only seem to have this problem with arcsys games. When Melty Blood had it's evo run and while sp00ky was streaming the game I don't remember the commentary being anywhere near as bad as what we have for BlazBlue and Pesona 4 Arena today. I was watching the last st1ckbug tournament and I personally thought the Arcana Heart 3 Love Max commentary was on point. If you can say anything about the commentary there you can say that the commentators actually commentated the match more than 60% percent of the time they spent opening their mouths. Something I can't say for BlazBlue and P4A where they same to go on tangents often and tell embarrassing "keep it to yourself" stories about other players. At this point the arcsys community needs a James Chen and Ultra David but not everyone wants to sit down all day doing commentary for video games at a major and I get that.

Have a few minutes before my family gets here, just finished getting ready.

When you do land your U1, hold it for max damage. Sometimes if you whiff it, still hold it. You might catch characters trying to punish it poorly.

Charge your upball often, it's a solid anti-air and also a get out of jail card sometimes.

Do something other than throw off hop. Throwing works great online off a hop, but it is predictable and consider other options (hop electricity is a decent variant/mixup).

Be careful of your opponent's potential punishes and go for calculated risks. We could have a whole game where you never threw a blanka ball once, then when I had ultra you'd throw out an ex-blanka ball which I can punish even if I'm hit. Doing so results in massive health loss and loss of meter in exchange for very minimal damage on my char.

Patience is huge with Blanka, since he sucks at getting in. His greatest asset is his slide against fireballs, but a good player will just stop throwing fireballs or do it very very rarely.

Consider doing light balls to close the gap but not intending to hit the opponent. With proper spacing this can lead to a nice throw/electricity/whatever else mixup right in front of the opponent
Thank you. I actually do electricity off of hop a lot, but you always Spinning Bird Kick it. :p I am charging my AA roll, but it usually isn't charged when you jump in. You often hit me because I tried to release it but it wasn't ready.

Yeah, the Rolling Attack when you have ultra charged is dumb and I need go stop. I will try to work in other roll attack strengths, but I just picked him up today so I don't know the distances.

Rhapsody

Banned

Anime commentary is generally bad to me. I haven't watched too many that I liked.

I don't think anime fighters are suited for great commentary either though, so I feel that it's also difficult having good ones. Too many actions happening where you can't commentate like how you would for SF4. Long combos add a lot of dead time to the game (so you'll hear commentators just say whatever attack happens).

But you're right, some anime commentators don't do a good job explaining stuff to new players. And I don't think we have some knowledgable ones to explain a lot of the occurring matchups.

Kumubou

I think part of the issue is that there is no one who takes commentary for anime games super seriously (unless you want to bring Melty Blood back and put Sp00ky on the mic -- which I would totally approve of, but that's not happening :p ). You don't have the equivalent of someone like UltraDavid for SF4 or Yipes for UMvC3, or someone like Aris for TTT2 or Shidosha for VF5:FS (biased note: Shidosha and LA Akira's commentary at Evo 2012 and Sega Cup is criminally underrated). The other major issue is that anime fighters are unusually dense in terms of baseline mechanics. Hell, I've had to try to explain how the moon system works in Melty Blood or how arcanas work in Arcana Heart in under a minute while on stream, and that shit is impossible. It's something that could work, but the games never get enough attention to really warrant it, so it stays the same stiff, self-referential bullshit (and I was as guilty of that as anyone... with several sides of killing e-sports, yeesh). Maybe if ArcSys ends up starting something like the American ArcRevo Cup. :x

I remember when Ultradavid was brought on unofficially to commentate Evo and I was like "Wow this guy's pretty good, hope he does more commentary sometime." Then he became a super world-famous FGC commentator and started dating a bunch of supermodels.

started? more like, continued the lifelong trend of

by the way, i can officially announce the following official announcement: i will be an official commentator at eberushion 24 teens!

ps, i don't feel it'd be hard to commentate bbcp well at all. it's fast but it's not as fast as some games, it's just confusing looking while you're getting used to it. after that it's slow enough to talk about stuff pretty easily imo.

Shouta

started? more like, continued the lifelong trend of

by the way, i can officially announce the following official announcement: i will be an official commentator at eberushion 24 teens!

Which means you'll be too busy for grappler grudge matches. >=(

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Damn, I'm jealous of the Melee community, they got Wife, Prog, D1, Mango, etc. that can do commentary and a few of the commentators are pros themselves!

Kumubou

ps, i don't feel it'd be hard to commentate bbcp well at all. it's fast but it's not as fast as some games, it's just confusing looking while you're getting used to it. after that it's slow enough to talk about stuff pretty easily imo.
The bigger issue is that there are a grand total of zero people in the US who have enough experience with BBCP to know what's going on, especially since the core mechanics change on a character by character basis. Thankfully Xie is coming and doing commentary, and he's probably as close as anyone's going to get for an English-speaking audience.

Infinite

The bigger issue is that there are a grand total of zero people in the US who have enough experience with BBCP to know what's going on, especially since the core mechanics change on a character by character basis. Thankfully Xie is coming and doing commentary, and he's probably as close as anyone's going to get for an English-speaking audience.

We can say the same for street fighter 4 but here we are.

Which means you'll be too busy for grappler grudge matches. >=(

oh nah i'll have time this year actually, but i'll prob spend it at the pool or with a drink in my hand or at the drink with a pool in my hand, you know how it goes. let's play on xbl sometime though

I'll be too busy being at Evo to whine about Evo commentators.

SF4 Overpass is the best stage because it has Kid Marn.
oh nah i'll have time this year actually, but i'll prob spend it at the pool or with a drink in my hand or at the drink with a pool in my hand, you know how it goes. let's play on xbl sometime though
I'm gonna look for you to say "what's up."
Persia is legit good.

Though im not watchin' Evo this year since Magus wont be there.
#RIP MAGUS1234

Now THIS is something to celebrate. \o/

Rhapsody

Banned

After watching CEO, I feel like the commentators statements for mostly things they were surprised about seeing since they didn't know the matchups, so I agree with that.

Xie's a good commentator, so that's good. I think his only issue is being too much like Japanese commentary and saying lingo that US players might be unaware of (I know some english P4U players didn't know what a bokosuka was).

Shouta

Don't have a 360. =P

I'll just have to track down someone else for those matches! Hopefully Itazan has gotten his passport sorted out. Then there's Snake Eyes and I wonder if Jibbo is going.

Top Bottom