• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

Wow, the hate is strong. Watch when it goes to one of your favorite past times, then you'll come back.

Nah, it wouldn't actually upset me at all.

The point is they are not going to throw the microphone to somebody at EVO and tell them to go nuts. Anybody up there will be just fine.

Jazz-ism

Banned
ultrachen is good and all but its better for each subcommunity to have their own commentators

no offense to james but when he was commentating smash last year he just seemed really out of place for example....just let smash community have its commentators, marvel have its own, KI have its own etc etc

Shackzam

I like Persia on the mic because she actually knows how to commentate the game and doesn't try to suffocate the mic with tier talk. She's very knowledgeable and understands what's happening most of the time during the match.

ultrachen is good and all but its better for each subcommunity to have their own commentators

no offense to james but when he was commentating smash last year he just seemed really out of place for example....just let smash community have its commentators, marvel have its own, KI have its own etc etc

I thought James was better on Smash than he is for Street Fighter

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
People? Only BakedYams is.

Never said I hated her, I would prefer somebody else instead of Persia.

I like Persia on the mic because she actually knows how to commentate the game and doesn't try to suffocate the mic with tier talk. She's very knowledgeable and understands what's happening most of the time during the match.

Looking back on some past matches, she did pretty well at Apex with Yipes on Marvel. I guess it depends who she commentates with.

Village

How awful.

I specifically appreciate GiantBomb's fighting game coverage for their casual/everyman perspective.

RIP

I think its a good thing and more people should follow suit.

Not just with this, other genre's or types of games a lot of people don't actually delve into.

Malice215

Persia has been improving each time I see her on the mic. I'm glad to see her a part of the official commentary team for EVO because I like diversity. Plus EVO runs all day long, so you're going to need to swap people out for commentary from time to time.

Shackzam

Never said I hated her, I would prefer somebody else instead of Persia.

Looking back on some past matches, she did pretty well at Apex with Yipes on Marvel. I guess it depends who she commentates with.

I can totally see her being stale during the downtime, but she is definitely good at explaining ridiculous situations in Marvel, which I find more useful then most commentators try to HYPE Mahvel up.

GGs Misogi. I learned a lot about the matchup from our set. Finding those brief moments where I can dash in and grab is so hard. I feel a lot better about the matchup now, but we will play again.

My previous strategy, which actually got someone to ragequit, was to just space slides. XD

You implying Yams isn't a person? You saying he's a figment of our collective imaginations?
Time to get some psychiatric drugs.

CurlyW

I don't believe Persia was delegated fairly to do commentary on Marvel. She rarely does it as is, and if she does, people are usually complaining on how she is not commentating on the matches and just laughing the entire time. I'm not calling you out on anything Curley, I love ya breh, but I when I smell something fishy, I gotta call it out.

On the other hand, Tasty Steve has acquired a very strong resume in commentating past events such as the Curleh Mustache's to garner him the title of being a Marvel commentator. He has enthusiasm and is on point with key moments in matches.

Quick question though, if Wizard isn't delegating it, then who is? I assumed he was one of the heads running the tournament

No I'm saying that the job of picking commentators for all games and coming up with a schedule for them is delegated by Ponder/Inkblot/Wizard to someone each year. For many years it was Keits. Last year it was Chrisceg I believe. I'm not sure who's doing it this year, but I would assume that it'd be Chrisceg again. Whoever has that job this year is the one who picked Persia to do commentary for Marvel.

I say Tasty Steve won't be doing Marvel top 8 because the color commentator position is already taken by Yipes, and they won't have two color commentators and no play by play commentator.

You dont know the inner workings of Evo, so stop commentating like you do.

You spelled "sluts" wrong.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
No I'm saying that the job of picking commentators for all games and coming up with a schedule for them is delegated by Ponder/Inkblot/Wizard to someone each year. For many years it was Keits. Last year it was Chrisceg I believe. I'm not sure who's doing it this year, but I would assume that it'd be Chrisceg again. Whoever has that job this year is the one who picked Persia to do commentary for Marvel.

I say Tasty Steve won't be doing Marvel top 8 because the color commentator position is already taken by Yipes, and they won't have two color commentators and no play by play commentator.

Thanks for the breakdown Curly.

No one ever takes it easy on me...
twitchtv_emote_faces77.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Persia is a fantastic commentator for Marvel. Less Chen, Tasty Steve and Magus
Magus is better when he cuts the bullshit
, more Persia please.

Persia commentary is usually pretty good. She has great game knowledge. The only times it's bothered me is when she was on the mic for a bit too long during Curleh, since that's supposed to be a Yipes commentated event, and when she gets confrontational when doing commentary after drinking.

vulva

Thank you. I actually do electricity off of hop a lot, but you always Spinning Bird Kick it. :p I am charging my AA roll, but it usually isn't charged when you jump in. You often hit me because I tried to release it but it wasn't ready.

Yeah, the Rolling Attack when you have ultra charged is dumb and I need go stop. I will try to work in other roll attack strengths, but I just picked him up today so I don't know the distances.

Also consider going air to air instead of just anti-airing.

Shouta

Derp, wrong thread.

Anyway, Persia on commentary is fine with me. Her voice is nice and easy to listen and she knows the game enough to actually do it.

Zack117

Banned
First off: I'm not a Tekken player. I don't know how the fighting system works, only just watched some Evo 2k13 finals of TTT2.
So could someone please explain to me why half of a fight seems to be decided just by the initial hit? Is it possible to escape from those juggles?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Persia commentary is usually pretty good. She has great game knowledge. The only times it's bothered me is when she was on the mic for a bit too long during Curleh, since that's supposed to be a Yipes commentated event, and when she gets confrontational when doing commentary after drinking.
These are probably my only two complaints as well.

First off: I'm not a Tekken player. I don't know how the fighting system works, only just watched some Evo 2k13 finals of TTT2.
So could someone please explain to me why half of a fight seems to be decided just by the initial hit? Is it possible to escape from those juggles?

you escape from juggles by not getting juggled

This is why you see Tekken players obsess about frames, because the neutral game is all about trying to juggle the other guy without putting yourself in situations where you get opened up yourself.

Persia is great on the mic. She knows a lot about the game

Sure she knows her characters and Yipes' but that's pretty much it from what I remember. Everytime she's on I usually mute the stream because she spends more than half the time just giggling anyways.

Sure she knows her characters and Yipes' but that's pretty much it from what I remember. Everytime she's on I usually mute the stream because she spends more than half the time just giggling anyways.

Not very many commentators know Dante inside and out. That's some specialized knowledge I can appreciate.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

racketpunch, you and me are a minority here.

Kumubou

This is why you see Tekken players obsess about frames, because the neutral game is all about trying to juggle the other guy without putting yourself in situations where you get opened up yourself.
And the funny (sad) part about this is that Harada and the Tekken development team are so adamant about not releasing frame data. And in the end, people figure it out anyway. Just do what AM2 does with VF and put all that data in a guide so you can have something else to sell, geez. Even Capcom does this nowadays! Capcom!!!

Zack117

Banned
you escape from juggles by not getting juggled

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Magus can be an excellent commentator when he chooses to. He has a habit of making the commentary about himself and injecting his personal opinions into everything too much, but if he remembers to reel that in he's actually quite good.

Shouta

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Just to elaborate on this just in case it's not a good enough answer, due to the way the combo system works the majority of them are in juggles. These juggles only occur when you hit them with a move that lifts your opponent up. Players will focus on the neutral game to get poke for damage and then gun for clean hits for juggle combos.

Top Bottom