• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 3-9 | Edition Edition

Dahbomb

Are people really considering SF4 All edition for regular tournament play?

Honestly they should do this EVO instead of the Melee reserved slot. Just go full imba up in this joint.

Rhapsody

Banned
SCR was a lot of fun, and I can't wait for next year. For next SCR, I hope to do better. I think I actually went 4-2 in pools, and my goal is to make it out of it next time. Plus Xrd should be out by then and I'll be putting extra effort into that.

It's too bad I didn't get to meet any of the other GAF members that were there. Was too focused on my matches and my friends' pools. Hopefully I'll see you guys some other place eventually.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I honestly thought you jumping over the sweep someone did on their wakeup was your best moment.

Reminded me of that other VF gif you posted a couple days before.

You know I read that comment while I was at SCR and I didn't know what you were referring to, but now I get it.

tumblr_n0njqoG1yM1slig2vo2_400.gif

iS95dtppbq8On.gif

phaonaut

Honestly they should do this EVO instead of the Melee reserved slot. Just go full imba up in this joint.

Totally forgot about the melee reserve spot, surprised that hasn't been resolved yet.

K.Sabot

Yeah those are both baller as fuck moments. Always enjoy getting the hard read on an opponent, especially in 3d fighters.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

That's cold menj. You shouldn't say that for the 0.5 people that play melee here on GAF.

Kappa

oneida

You know I'm sitting on like 2 hours of footage from the twitch archives, before I upload it to YT i need to decide whether to separate the like six fucking minutes of the camera man zooming in on my face while i waited for BL to finish his match in SCII. I was so uncomfortable that I went on my phone then eventually just left.

I think I'll upload it separately and set it to some cool tunes.

Chavelo

Its every event... literally.

... that counts. So it's basically up to the EVO staff which ones will get picked at the end of the EVO season. Major events like SCR, NCR, CEO, Final Round and UFGT have a "guaranteed" spot due to their entry numbers and past history with EVO.

No let Melee/Smash Wii U have its spot and make Edition more Standard.

... that counts. So it's basically up to the EVO staff which ones will get picked at the end of the EVO season. Major events like SCR, NCR, CEO, Final Round and UFGT have a "guaranteed" spot due to their entry numbers and past history with EVO.

Can't wait for Twitter wars bitching about why their tourney didn't count

Dahbomb

No let Melee/Smash Wii U have its spot and make Edition more Standard.
LOL how is Melee going to have its own spot when Nintendo isn't bothered to check back with EVO?

As far as I am concerned, that is a slot that can be used up for another game like TTT2.

I guess I am going to go into the new Smash vortex whenever it comes out. I have never seen so many of my co-workers excited about a new fighting game. Still hopeful about PS4 version of ultra. I JUST found out that you can play different versions of a character (OMG vanilla Rufus/Sagat :( I don't want to go back. )

I remember a few FGWs ago that I posted something to the extent that Ultra SF4 would be the Super Turbo of this generation.

Guess I wasn't that far off. I really like the addition of an "Edition Select" for this game, and at the same time I sort of dislike it. Oh well, at least Ultra has a character of which I'm really interested to give a try. I await the news that Final Round brings to the game.

K.Sabot

I'm going to be in the XRD vortex for a long time if the netcode is good.

I've little faith for USF4's netcode.

I'm gonna be that dude playing vanilla Sagat.

I've actually been playing vanilla the last couple days for kicks to wind down between magic tournaments.

But really, I just wanna play Ultra Vega.

Unlucky

Alex Jebailey ‏@CEOJebailey 3h
As of now edition select won't be selectable at #ceo2014. Gonna be sticking to strictly Ultra SF4 for official tourney play. Maybe in 2015.

Alex Jebailey ‏@CEOJebailey 3h
I will say this, Fightermania II at #ceo2014 will have something very special showing of USF4 edition select. Gonna be something crazy fun.

Wolfkrone ‏@WOLFKRONE 10m
I was legit excited about Ultra SF4 Edition Select until I saw that TO's already banning it .

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You hold off on making edition mode standard now just to test, you risk it being ignored completely.

I think that's true even moreso for Ultra as a version of SF4. Ultra needs its time to develop just like all the others

If it's really not a separate mode they gotta put a version lock at tournaments. When Ultra is as stale and familiar as AE is now then you open the gates and let people deal with all the additional matchups from previous versions.

El Sabroso

New announcement made me lose interest on Ultra changes a little, but it is ending like a party mode at the moment.

GDLK thread banner this week btw.

If I wanted to play a crazy game that had next to no balance consideration and an enormous cast in which most of the characters are either redundant or awful, I'd play marvel, not street fighter.

People wanting edition select for tournaments are only going to have fun for like a month before the meta settles in.

Omega

Banned
Wolfkrone ‏@WOLFKRONE 10m
I was legit excited about Ultra SF4 Edition Select until I saw that TO's already banning it .

That seems about right.

There's really no legitimate reason to ban it. Balance? Get that nonsense out of here. Since when has that ever stopped people from playing a fighting game.

I'm just a scrub so I'll just play it with friends regardless, but I'm hoping that 5th character is broken as fuck so there's no other option but to allow Edition Select.

I think that's true even moreso for Ultra as a version of SF4. Ultra needs its time to develop just like all the others

If it's really not a separate mode they gotta put a version lock at tournaments. When Ultra is as stale and familiar as AE is now then you open the gates and let people deal with all the additional matchups from previous versions.

By the time Ultra gets stale, SF5 or Hyper SF4 will be out.

I just got home from work after missing another great Major as usual. And OMG, I just saw the new trailer for USF4. SHIT IS ABOUT TO GET REALZ. Fuck your vortex, my DP, FADC, Ultra does 600+ damage bitches is back with a vengeance lol.

Now time to watch some archives.

Not really. I'm pretty certain ultra characters will get theirs even with all the other iterations. Besides There's more of a chance people won't like Edition as standard than vice versa.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
NeoGAF friends & community! This is MarkMan with a community update! We have exactly ONE day left to raise awareness & support for our Patrick Collins donation drive! The TEKKEN Project Team and leader Katsuhiro Harada, have graciously donated some awesome TEKKEN items that YOU can win! Full details can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/tekkenfgc

1623551_10152022105183883_1672403673_n.jpg

Thank you everyone for your support! Please help spread the word by sharing this link/info!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Ok then.

Not really. I'm pretty certain ultra characters will get theirs even with all the other iterations.

I'm not just talking about characters I mean the game as a whole.

It'll be hard to get a good idea of what the actual version as a whole is like if character picks are influenced by people picking and being successful with characters outside of that version.

Besides There's more of a chance people won't like Edition as standard than vice versa.

So why waste time?

That seems about right.

There's really no legitimate reason to ban it. Balance? Get that nonsense out of here. Since when has that ever stopped people from playing a fighting game.

I'm just a scrub so I'll just play it with friends regardless, but I'm hoping that 5th character is broken as fuck so there's no other option but to allow Edition Select.

It's not like our history is filled with a bunch of unbalance games.. oh wait... I forgot we only spent a few decades playing unbalanced games.

#VOTEFORSELECTEDITION!

Omega

Banned
man that Killzone resolution thread is a mess

Sony fanboys
so pretty much the entirety of GAF
on blast.

I remember a Penello thread quote about how the human eye can't differentiate resolutions and everyone was all RAWR I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1080P AND 1079P!"

I will say one thing about Ultra's "Edition Select".

While characters like Vanilla Sagat, Vanilla Seth, Super C.Viper and AE Yun are returning to the fray, the existence of all characters from versions that these particular characters were not in might not make them quite as good as they originally were.

Maybe I don't know my SF4 all that well(which I don't), but I'm fairly optimistic that certain versions of characters won't dominate quite like they may have three-five years ago.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Easiest solution is to just follow the arcade version. If version select is in arcade Ultra then it should be tournament standard. If not then we know it's a superfluous mode that can safely be ignored

oneida

Easiest solution is to just follow the arcade version. If version select is in arcade Ultra then it should be tournament standard. If not then we know it's a superfluous mode that can safely be ignored

yup
arcade will decide if this is ST or heroes & heralds.

kirblar

I'm hoping this is what the plan is, it's the simplest way to enforce it naturally.

I'm not just talking about characters I mean the game as a whole.

It'll be hard to get a good idea of what the actual version as a whole is like if character picks are influenced by people picking and being successful with characters outside of that version.

Oh I know, I just think Edition would be better than whatever Ultra would have offered. This is all futile though so I'm just gonna go back to my Tekken corner.

But also what is used in the arcades could be what Capcom thinks would draw more numbers in... If Capcom thinks crazy select from 5 versions of SF mode will bring in more people in, they by all means might make that the standard..

Top Bottom