• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 3-9 | Edition Edition

I wonder if people will be free to choose this during online play? I was so excited for Ultra Evil Ryu. Now I find myself kind of terrified of the idea of going online to collect PP and running into the likes of V-Sagat, V-Akuma, S-Cammy, AE-Yun, and so on. Oh, and Rose gets that damn 0 frame Ultra back.

BTW, what do you guys think of this idea from Mr. Wizard concerning Edition select?

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/statuses/440333529411379200

Anne

SCR was neat. Curious how the casual/new-but-interested people felt about BB. Top 8 was kind of a demonstration on BB tiers.

I feel like most players in the arcades will let it rock. Just make it the tournament standard now, if it becomes broken start dialing it back.

Dahbomb

I wonder if people will be free to choose this during online play? I was so excited for Ultra Evil Ryu. Now I find myself kind of terrified of the idea of going online to collect PP and running into the likes of V-Sagat, V-Akuma, S-Cammy, AE-Yun, and so on. Oh, and Rose gets that damn 0 frame Ultra back.

BTW, what do you guys think of this idea from Mr. Wizard concerning Edition select?

$200 is extreme but if it was like $50 people would legitimately enter it and could be a blast.

One thing is for sure, banning something before its even tried out is pretty fucking dumb. I am not saying this should be standard in tournaments but you should give it a go. Who knows this might end up being like ST and over half the cast is silly.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I think he's half serious half joking. He's gauging the audience to see who bites and make a butt load of cash due to dividends. It would be really interesting to see but lower the price a bit... Its honestly too expensive and wouldn't be worth it because it'll be top 8 sagat/akuma. However, I was interested in what David was saying in bringing back the old players that strictly played Vanilla and have them go against the new blood. At the end of the day, it isn't the character that makes the player, its the player themselves.

Also, I thought we didn't have enough space to let another title rock it (the crazy SF4 edition will be its own thing within the tournament).

Shito

This editions select is... strange. Don't really know what to think of it yet.
I can't even begin to imagine the size of the tier-list. The discussion about who's top tier is enough to keep us busy up until 2018 at least.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have a genuine complaint for Edition Select: The menu text is hard to tell apart. SFIV-SSFIV-SSFIV AE-SSFIV AE R

Capcom really needs to either rethink the option text so it's easy to tell apart, or make the background color change with the text. Although judging by how the game doesn't seem to have enough menu space for both Edition Select and Costume Select, we're probably going to get new UI anyway.

Prototype

Hella lame TOs are preemptivelybanning edition selection in USF4. It's cool to know that Xmen do exist and people can see into the future. So that's something.

They ban old characters in other games like ST? Food for thought.

Omega

Banned
I have a genuine complaint for Edition Select: The menu text is hard to tell apart. SFIV-SSFIV-SSFIV AE-SSFIV AE R

Capcom really needs to either rethink the option text so it's easy to tell apart, or make the background color change with the text. Although judging by how the game doesn't seem to have enough menu space for both Edition Select and Costume Select, we're probably going to get new UI anyway.

Hopefully there is

New game, new UI. Plus the option for Indestructible to return plz

kirblar

I'm starting to understand why developers in MTG don't have open blogs.

Also, just how things like Mt. Gox happen.

Uraizen

Banned
SCR was neat. Curious how the casual/new-but-interested people felt about BB. Top 8 was kind of a demonstration on BB tiers.

With the way that Rachel was playing? I don't think casuals would notice how powerful Kokopuffs is.

EDIT: Ah, right, all of top 8 ...

Geniuzz

I like this unexpected announcement. The idea of dream matches has always been appealing for theory fighters, so I can't see how offering the opportunity to play these dream matches is a bad thing. I wonder, though, if many people will deviate from regular Ultra play.

Shito

Hella lame TOs are preemptivelybanning edition selection in USF4. It's cool to know that Xmen do exist and people can see into the future. So that's something.

I dunno, some of those Vanilla characters were reeeeeeaally bullshit, though.
I can understand the ban for now: it's not like it doesn't give the opportunity to lift the ban at one point, and it's better this way than the other way around, I think. It gives people the motivation to try out the new build to its full extent, and then branch out to the "full cast" once it's starting to need something fresh again.
I'm curious for the online modes, though: will we be able to lock out this choice in rooms?

Vanilla Ryu was so stupid. Super fireball traps, trade DP to ultra, stupid Ultra damage.

Super trap was so good back in the day. I would never burn meter because I wanted to troll people with it. I remember once this Abel was FADC'ing my fireballs from full screen thinking he was safe. I waited for him to absorb 3 before I let it rip. Basically 500 damage right there and we stayed about as far apart as possible from each other.

As for Ken, what was really scary about him back in the day was his punish combos. No links necessary, just do cl. HK > HK tatsu/EX SRK and get 350 damage. Other characters Ryu needed to hit a 1f link or Sagat needed a couple of bars to do damage but Ken could do it for free from a simple special canceled normal.

Prototype

I dunno, some of those Vanilla characters were reeeeeeaally bullshit, though.
I can understand the ban for now: it's not like it doesn't give the opportunity to lift the ban at one point, and it's better this way than the other way around, I think. It gives people the motivation to try out the new build to its full extent, and then branch out to the "full cast" once it's starting to need something fresh again.
I'm curious for the online modes, though: will we be able to lock out this choice in rooms?

I agree with 1 point that you are making:

Allowing the use of all editions would take away from players motivation to fully explore the Ultra balance changes in depth, because once again, we'd have options.

Coda

I still just think out of all the things they could've announced, this was pretty subpar but it's Capcom. I should've known that they'd disappoint. At this rate all we have left is the 5th character reveal and it better not suck.

I'm back.

Circumstances allowed me to keep up with the streams on all 3 days. The only game I wanted to see but ended up skipping was Gundam because trying to keep track of all 4 screens at once became disorienting very quickly.

Blazblue, Marvel and SF were all pretty hype but I feel kind of tuckered out on watching Marvel/SF. It probably doesn't help that I only played both games for a short period of time so I'm not really invested in the games themselves beyond the hype factor. Should be fine for EVO though.

The biggest news for me overall is that Mori wants to bring BB to next-gen. Hopefully this means Team Red's going to share that Xrd tech.

Me personally, I want ultra to be the tournament and ranked standard. This version select can rock in endless and you fan choose to use it in vs.

I wish capcom would had held this and released it a couple months after ultra was out. a nice extra once the initial buzz was gone.

smurfx

get some go again
all tournaments leading to evo should use ultra once its released. people who played vanilla and super would have a major advantage over those who started playing with just ae and 2012.

Sheroking

Me personally, I want ultra to be the tournament and ranked standard. This version select can rock in endless and you fan choose to use it in vs.

I wish capcom would had held this and released it a couple months after ultra was out. a nice extra once the initial buzz was gone.

Honestly, if it wasn't, it would kill Ultra Street Fighter IV for me.

I might watch it for the lulz, but I would never take another major seriously again.

Edition select as the main tournament would be alright if SF was a game about characters instead of about matchups. As is I think I'd rather have a well-designed and interesting set of matchups (yes, it's Capcom, I know) instead of just the most broken/powerful version of every character. Mike Ross counterpicking vanilla Sagat against Gamerbee's vanilla Sagat is funny the first time, but I don't think people will be as entertained by that when it happens constantly. The problem isn't that it'll be broken (it definitely will be), but because it's a basically un-designed version of the game.

That said, I think it'll be great for side tournaments. Players already have a certain investment because they're attached to their favorite versions of their characters, and they won't need to necessarily dedicate extra time into practicing for it because they've already put years of practice into whichever version of their character.

alstein

I feel like most players in the arcades will let it rock. Just make it the tournament standard now, if it becomes broken start dialing it back.

Will this mode even be in the arcades? I could see this being console-only, and I really don't think it will become tourney standard.

To me this is two different games.

undersakura

Neo Member
The King made a list. The second half is a little iffy but still good.

Sanford @SanfordKelly
Top ten Us players in sf4 currently are in no order Dieminion/Pr Rog/Justin Wong/Snake Eyes/Kbrad/Sanford/Ricky/Jayce the Ace/Zeus/Chris G

Sanford @SanfordKelly
I believe after that top ten are in no order Nuckledu/Wolfkrone/Smug/Chin341/Insanne/Jeron/Mark Teddy/Happy Medicine/Ngl Chris...

Geniuzz

From Shoryuken.com: UPDATE: Capcom’s USFIV blog has a bit more on Edition Select. The feature is exclusive to the home versions of USFIV and is not compatible with online modes.

Sounds good enough for me.

Jazz-ism

Banned
From Shoryuken.com: UPDATE: Capcom’s USFIV blog has a bit more on Edition Select. The feature is exclusive to the home versions of USFIV and is not compatible with online modes.

if its only in the home versions...that about wraps up the argument for it as tourney standard...

however, instead of these bullshit team tourneys we can have some sick side tourneys now

I like USF4's selectable character versions ala Hyper SF2 X. They should also include system direction like 3S had on gen 6 consoles.

Everyone just use the honor system in tourneys

Conceited

mechaniphiliac

Sucks, they should include it in endless as an option you can enable and search by and then just have regular ultra only in ranked.

Aww man I can't use my Vanilla Balrog online :(

Capcoms gotta stop half assing everything.

Still can't save replays offline either smh

So you dont needZ to worry about it online or tournament standard, Its just a fun side tournament thing

Back to your regularly Scheduled programming

Silky

Banned
So you dont needZ to worry about it online or tournament standard, Its just a fun side tournament thing

Back to your regularly Scheduled programming

"Not...yet."

Yeah this might be fun for parties if those parties were ppl who know how to play fighting games

NeoGAF friends & community! This is MarkMan with a community update! We have exactly ONE day left to raise awareness & support for our Patrick Collins donation drive! The TEKKEN Project Team and leader Katsuhiro Harada, have graciously donated some awesome TEKKEN items that YOU can win! Full details can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/tekkenfgc

1623551_10152022105183883_1672403673_n.jpg

Thank you everyone for your support! Please help spread the word by sharing this link/info!
Quoting for new page (also switch to 100ppp ya mooks)

casperOne

Are people really considering SF4 All edition for regular tournament play?

Yes, and I wish this is the way that it could be. It would breathe even more life into the game than Ultra is doing already and make the game extremely viable for much longer than Ultra on its own would.

If I wanted to play a crazy game that had next to no balance consideration and an enormous cast in which most of the characters are either redundant or awful, I'd play marvel, not street fighter.

People wanting edition select for tournaments are only going to have fun for like a month before the meta settles in.

There's nothing wrong with having the meta settle in later than sooner. If anything, it would help the scene out tremendously if this was the case as you'd have greater retention of the more casual players and that would possibly translate into more people sticking around in the FGC.

yup
arcade will decide if this is ST or heroes & heralds.

And IMO, unfortunately, the arcade is Ultra-only.

I suspect this has something to do with wanting to get the game on the NESiCA platform ASAP.

Akuma has been banned in anything ST for about 20 years now.

...Why do I have the feeling that this is bullshit.

I suspect the same. From the same article:

There’s a lot I want to do. We don’t have any information on the Xbox One hardware. I’m curious if Xbox One will even come out in Japan. I’ve been asking people about it and not one person has given me a definitive answer

I find it extremely difficult to believe that he couldn't do something as simple as a Google search to find out when it's being released.

...Why do I have the feeling that this is bullshit.

Since PS3 discs have been out for a while, it wouldn't be too hard to check.

I'm guessing it's at best a half-truth; technically true, but they are capable of figuring out a solution and really won't because a 360-ver. isn't worth their time.

Infinite

I don't get why people want all edition mode to be tourney standard. It seems fun but hardly competitive due to obvious balance concerns.

Top Bottom