• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 3-9 | Edition Edition

Rhapsody

Banned
I mean shit Makoto's set ups are basically the same exact thing as Millia's and she's one of the strongest corner characters in the game.
I guess. Too bad Makoto's is basically for the corner and the mixups aren't anywhere as good.
Fair enough. I've actually never really played a 2D game with wake up rolls that extensively so I'm probably speaking more from personal preference/what I'm used to than any actual convincing argument anyways.
You missed out on some good old Alpha 3 then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRTKOd4sG3M&t=3m5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlC_8DpdDGc&t=1m45s

Poor Valle lol

vocab

darkstalker rolls annoy me the most. they slide on the ground, and i can never keep people in the corner in that game.

Rhapsody

Banned
darkstalker rolls annoy me the most. they slide on the ground, and i can never keep people in the corner in that game.

But you still can get either pressure or 50/50 mixups after the roll at the very least.
Offense is way strong in that game, so I don't mind the invincible rolls.

Or you can opt to play as Jedah and have practically no moves that'll usually combo into knockdown :/

GooeyHeat

I think the issue with wakeup rolls in SFxT is that mobility in that game is simply not enough to allow characters to force any sort of pressure when rolls are an option. In Marvel, wakeup rolls work because most characters can wavedash, airdash, and cover all sorts of options. In Blazblue, almost everybody can air dash, and a good amount can put out large projectile hitboxes to force blocking if they guess right. Street Fighter? ROLL 'EM OUT

Kimosabae

Banned
I think the issue with wakeup rolls in SFxT is that mobility in that game is simply not enough to allow characters to force any sort of pressure when rolls are an option. In Marvel, wakeup rolls work because most characters can wavedash, airdash, and cover all sorts of options. In Blazblue, almost everybody can air dash, and a good amount can put out large projectile hitboxes to force blocking if they guess right. Street Fighter? ROLL 'EM OUT

The intention of rolls was to deny pressure if you guessed strongly and wrongly on whether or not your opponent would roll - say, if you gambled on a jump-in. But with good spacing you can still pressure your opponent on their wakeup and even have them roll into an ambiguous situation if you read the roll.

As a former Smash player the Roll System was one of the few things I liked about the game.

Rhapsody

Banned
I honestly wouldn't have minded SFXT rolls if the invul time was closer to BB's (but current SFXT's fix was a pretty nice solution).
That and I wish stages were like half the size of what they are now or maybe SF3 walk speed.

Infinite

The intention of rolls was to deny pressure if you guessed strongly and wrongly on whether or not your opponent would roll - say, if you gambled on a jump-in. But with good spacing you can still pressure your opponent on their wakeup and even have them roll into an ambiguous situation if you read the roll.

As a former Smash player the Roll System was one of the few things I liked about the game.

Pretty much this. If you make a hard read on where someone is going to roll and you guessed wrong you should have your pressure denied. If you opt to make a soft read which contains them if they roll or not then you should be able to still pressure them but you want get the optimal punish for either option they choose.

I honestly wouldn't have minded SFXT rolls if the invul time was closer to BB's (but current SFXT's fix was a pretty nice solution).
That and I wish stages were like half the size of what they are now or maybe SF3 walk speed.
Those changes would have made Sfxt much more playable -sigh-

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It could either be dead, or they're just trying to distance it as much as possible from SFxT.
SFxT was a PR disaster for Capcom.

I guess we'll find out at E3.

I'm interested to see what Capcom has been working on.
Besides mobile games lol!

I hope its marvel being brought over to ps4 and xbox-one. would certainly sell like hot cakes with all the movies coming out for marvel.

MESMERman was taken down! Two FGC-Gaffers are taken down ;_;

Tik-Tok

I hope its marvel being brought over to ps4 and xbox-one. would certainly sell like hot cakes with all the movies coming out for marvel.

MESMERman was taken down! Two FGC-Gaffers are taken down ;_;

I'm not sure how people don't understand the current state of MVC3. It's not getting patched, it's not getting rereleased, it's not getting updated. The license is dead.

Even if it weren't I'd guess capcom wouldn't sell more than a couple hundred thousand copies on next gen and that's being generous.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm not sure how people don't understand the current state of MVC3. It's not getting patched, it's not getting rereleased, it's not getting updated. The license is dead.

Even if it weren't I'd guess capcom wouldn't sell more than a couple hundred thousand copies on next gen and that's being generous.

Patching is suppose to be waived for PS4/Xbox One consoles, or is that only for indies? Also, yeah I know the whole expiration of the license thing going on but no one ever knows. Hints haven't been made but the mods at Cap Forums always state that they are hearing us instead of saying no now so who knows....

I want to believe! ;_;

Also, thanks for the correction onionfrog. Marvel on PC would probably make me squeal. All those mods...

onionfrog

I'm interested to see if capcom has anything cooking that could replace marvel.

I'd kill for a capcom only versus style fighter.

Also, thanks for the correction onionfrog. Marvel on PC would probably make me squeal. All those mods...
PC mods for Marvel would be insane!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

People definitely don't get it.

Every few weeks to months we have a thread about "who will get the exclusive Marvel license next now that it's gone from Capcom?" or some shit. And that's before delusions that somehow putting it on next gen/PC would do gangbusters or would be worth what they have to put in and the resources they have to pool to do so.

If anything was to be done about MvC3, it would have happened already. It's best for Capcom and fighting game fans to move on and look towards the future.

Project Marvel, please?
Maybe that new PS3 emulator will lead to something, but we'll have MvC4 by then.

GooeyHeat

Even in Smash Bros players can cover rolls much more effectively. You still have to guess, and I didn't mean that the player on the offense shouldn't have to guess at all (although I should have made that more clear), but it still feels like a little too much. Maybe the rolls needed to be shorter distance-wise.

I also feel like the way combos in SFxT worked didn't jive with the mobility, if that makes sense? Moving around somewhat stiffly and throwing out slow, meticulous pokes seems like a completely different game than what happens after a hit gets landed. It seemed inconsistent. I'm not sure if it truly matters, but it bothered me a great deal.

kirblar

Even in Smash Bros players can cover rolls much more effectively. You still have to guess, and I didn't mean that the player on the offense shouldn't have to guess at all (although I should have made that more clear), but it still feels like a little too much. Maybe the rolls needed to be shorter distance-wise.

I also feel like the way combos in SFxT worked didn't jive with the mobility, if that makes sense? Moving around somewhat stiffly and throwing out slow, meticulous pokes seems like a completely different game than what happens after a hit gets landed. It seemed inconsistent. I'm not sure if it truly matters, but it bothered me a great deal.
Whiff punishing being the absolute best thing you can do in a game to maximize damage had really ugly consequences for the gameplay style.

As a former Smash player the Roll System was one of the few things I liked about the game

geez man, talk about self-hating

Kimosabae

Banned

The efficiency is relative. In Melee, it's highly character dependent and throw dependent. In Brawl, there's hardly any Roll Pressure at all. I think the rolls in SFxT are fine for what they are. You get your shorter Roll Distance wish when the opponent is cornered.

geez man, talk about self-hating

Huh?

Uraizen

Banned
The efficiency is relative. In Melee, it's highly character dependent and throw dependent. In Brawl, there's hardly any Roll Pressure at all. I think the rolls in SFxT are fine for what they are. You get your shorter Roll Distance wish when the opponent is cornered.

You can also force them to roll back into the corner with some characters by corpse hopping in SFxT. So either way you're covered.

Shouta

Not at all, I would say that was one of the finer things about SFxT.

Nah, Kirblar is right to an extent. Any whiff punish was 30% or more of your life, which is as bad as vortex, just from a different direction. The nice part is that it doesn't remove the players from the equation because the situation gets reset but at the same time, however, it mitigates some folks/styles as a result.

Aside from the meta-considerations. it also kind of ruined the pacing in conjunction with timer.

kirblar

why is that?
It heavily encouraged this hyper-safe style of play because the risk/reward balance for trying something risky was so out of whack. It wasn't just the "safeness" of the frame data that caused this - it was that if you left yourself open for a moment you were eating massive damage. It wasn't like in SF, where the punish for a lot of mildly unsafe stuff is just eating a throw or sweep. I liked the game- but it only shined when players like Seth just ignored that part and preyed on what they knew others were going to do via Kuma's swiss army knife of tools (And heck, even Seth was playing super-safe Law on point fishing away.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
what did bakedyams do?
I can't seem to find anything in his post history. One clearly tongue in cheek post above calling someone a bastard. Maybe the post in the Titanfall thread, but that's not serious either, it's hardly even questioning the mods.

Infinite

Not to cry over spilled milk but SFxT would have been the best thing ever had the problems discussed on this page had been addressed fully and they used a different art style from SF4.

Kalamari

Not to cry over spilled milk but SFxT would have been the best thing ever had the problems discussed on this page had been addressed fully and they used a different art style from SF4.

I think the art style is what really held me back, it just looked like SF4 except darker and more heavily shaded. It just didn't seem like a coherent and appealing style to use. You could tell that they tried to make it look different from SF4, but they were probably forced to use SF4 character models so as to reduce the amount of work. It would have been nice to see some different character models.

onionfrog

Absolutely. It could've been amazing.
I think we had this same discussion a few weeks ago.

It looking like SF4 with worse art direction didn't help either. A change in art style would've helped the game too.

Granted its pretty good now after all the patches. But not until after the initial issues killed most people's interest in the game.

Top Bottom