• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 3-9 | Edition Edition

Prototype

It's hard to juggle multiple fighting games and I am always impressed by those people who can play different fighters all at a high level. I just can't. My limit is pretty much 2 games, after which my "skill" in all the games begins to drop.

When MK9 came out I played it and really liked it. I thought it was a great series reboot and was really well done. But, it took time away from SF4 and MvC3 which is what I was playing mostly at the time. Eventually I just stopped playing MK altogether because I could see it taking away from my SF4 "skills", I was getting rusty and making bad moves.

This also happened again when SC5 came out. I loved the SC series but between SF4 and the fact that they removed half the SC cast and added meter to the game (not every game needs a meter mechanic imo) I just said my good byes. That said, before SF4 came out I put hundreds of hours into SC4 and I still think it's the better game to this day.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Can't -- I loathe the SFIV series and guess what?! I'll be buying ultra anyway just to see if the changes are enough for me to enjoy it! I knew nothing about aquapazza and bought that just to end up playing it for a day! I'll be buying the new AH3 when that drops, too, despite being complete ass at it.
Haha, you can still try out many different games, but you can also be smarter about it than spending hundreds of your own money. Personally, I bought AH3 after trying it out at a semi-local sessions and had a ton of fun with it, but other games like MK9 I should have held out on. :/

Westlo

I can't believe that Eventscrubs didn't have Super Cammy on their list of strongest characters from throughout the SFIV series. lol @ listing super chun, guile and dictator even though Cammy and Akuma were the top two. When I looked they had like 6 votes between them for the Super characters, amazing choices.

And yeah no one is going to choose Super Akuma over SFIV Akuma but Super Cammy is arguably stronger than 2012 Cammy, she just had tougher opposition. (Strong charge characters, Akuma who could vortex her and as easily as she did him etc)

I can't believe that Eventscrubs didn't have Super Cammy on their list of strongest characters from throughout the SFIV series. lol @ listing super chun, guile and dictator even though Cammy and Akuma were the top two. When I looked they had like 6 votes between them for the Super characters, amazing choices.

And yeah no one is going to choose Super Akuma over SFIV Akuma but Super Cammy is arguably stronger than 2012 Cammy, she just had tougher opposition. (Strong charge characters, Akuma who could vortex her and as easily as she did him etc)

What really blew me away was no mention of Vanilla Seth. Instead they list 2012 Seth, really? He's good, but Vanilla Seth had so much BS. Super trap, Ultra trap, jumping stretchy arm with tons of active frames, stomps with tons of active frames, teleport with very little recovery, faster dive kick, and more. He loses some damage, but he has so much more BS at his disposal.

As for Super Cammy vs 2012 Cammy, I think it is pretty close. You have TKCS vs links, links, and more links. 2012 Cammy is a combo machine that seems to have more ways to link normals together than even Ryu while Super Cammy could blow up crouch tech's worse but couldn't do the same kind of damage when she did. So I think it's clear cut which one is better.

But in the end I don't think either is that close to the top slot. That would be reserved for the Vanilla and AE top tiers who I feel are head and shoulder above top tiers from all the other versions of the game.

alstein

and then you send the game to a gaffer ... for free.

send over hea

That's pretty much what I did with BBCP. I don't mind because the person who got it needed it.

I really wish I had a little fairy or something that would follow me around and bop me whenever I thought about buying a game I know I probably won't like. Fighting games are expensive compared to PC games, so I shouldn't waste money like that. I remember getting MK and AH on the same day, thinking I know I'll like one of these but not both- ended up liking the one I didn't expect. Sometimes you get surprised by what you end up liking- some of my all-time favorite games were bought on pure impulse.

What really blew me away was no mention of Vanilla Seth. Instead they list 2012 Seth, really? He's good, but Vanilla Seth had so much BS. Super trap, Ultra trap, jumping stretchy arm with tons of active frames, stomps with tons of active frames, teleport with very little recovery, faster dive kick, and more. He loses some damage, but he has so much more BS at his disposal.

I think the main counter to that is the health and stun. While that normally becomes a non-issue over time, things like a Zangief headbutt or a trade into Ultra meant Vanilla Seth was always in danger of being randomed out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Super Chun?

She still had the problems that have plagued her throughout SF4, primarily her weakness to hard knockdowns, and still had trouble against high tier characters as a result. Definitely could fight against everyone else, though.

pixelish

i hope thor accepts the challenge

tF3xWvD.jpg

Westlo

Yeah that was another glaring oversight.

As for Super Cammy vs 2012 Cammy, I think it is pretty close. You have TKCS vs links, links, and more links. 2012 Cammy is a combo machine that seems to have more ways to link normals together than even Ryu while Super Cammy could blow up crouch tech's worse but couldn't do the same kind of damage when she did. So I think it's clear cut which one is better.

I still think Super Cammy is better and the following combo is no joke (Sako combo was character specific in Super so not listed), 2012 Cammy isn't that much better in terms of dmg and stun output.

EX Dive, Dive, c.hp, c.mk x hard spiral arrow is 342 damage and 538 stun.

Seriously that's good enough especially with the mixup coming right after that which is thankfully still intact in Ultra. Being able to instant divekick is something I'll take over a few more links anyday of the week personally.

Honestly the biggest difference between the two is that back in Super you wanted to eat the throw to avoid your throw tech getting blown up for 340 dmg + follow up mixup, in 2012 you get thrown and it's nearly gg. The tech/oki is superior now to back then even if the character was capable of the same thing.

But in the end I don't think either is that close to the top slot. That would be reserved for the Vanilla and AE top tiers who I feel are head and shoulder above top tiers from all the other versions of the game.

SFIV Cammy might've actually ended up being a legit threat if vanilla had lasted another few years. I mean you had Sako and Alioune dropping Akuma and Sagat respectively for her towards the end of vanilla. These guys saw how good she potentially was and left the two best characters for her. Alioune's epic beat down of James Chen whining on srk about Cammy in vanilla was hilarious (It's why the Super Cammy general thread is called "Our Spirits are better now"), so weird to actually hear Chen commentate about Cammy and not whine about her these days.

Heck if her lk crossup worked on every character instead of half the cast she might've been the best anyway. Imagine vanilla Cammy with todays tech....

NEO0MJ

SFIV Cammy might've actually ended up being a legit threat if vanilla had lasted another few years. I mean you had Sako and Alioune dropping Akuma and Sagat respectively for her towards the end of vanilla. These guys saw how good she potentially was and left the two best characters for her. Alioune's epic beat down of James Chen whining on srk about Cammy in vanilla was hilarious, so weird to actually hear Chen commentate about Cammy and not whine about her these days. (It's why the Super Cammy general thread is called "Our Spirits are better now")

Heck if her lk crossup worked on every character instead of half the cast she might've been the best anyway. Imagine vanilla Cammy with todays tech....

I heard a lot of similar talk about how SF IV Gen could have been a monster as well. Then SSF IV came and he was turned to an entirely new character. I miss my old jumps :(

alstein

Super Chun?

She still had the problems that have plagued her throughout SF4, primarily her weakness to hard knockdowns, and still had trouble against high tier characters as a result. Definitely could fight against everyone else, though.

Those problems would be fatal in a game where more chars could stomp you hard for it. Top tiers in some games would be mid to low tiers in this. This is why I think the game would devolve down into the old chars and maybe 1 or 2 newer chars (Fei I could see handling the OGs)

I watched a good 2 hours of Ogawa. Goddamn, Zato looks so good. Like some Dormammu/Firebrand combination. I loved every second of those matches, and I hope combos stay short and sweet as the game opens up. I bet he is ridiculously hard to control though, Carl-style. I almost want to put GG in right now to learn him, but I only have a copy of the Wii version (lol).

one page umvc3 theory

one page sf4 theory

anime revolution cant come soon enough...
Why not talk instead of complaining?

Rhapsody

Banned
I watched a good 2 hours of Ogawa. Goddamn, Zato looks so good. Like some Dormammu/Firebrand combination. I loved every second of those matches, and I hope combos stay short and sweet as the game opens up. I bet he is ridiculously hard to control though, Carl-style. I almost want to put GG in right now to learn him, but I only have a copy of the Wii version (lol).
I mean, the Wii version is something at least. Getting +R would be better though. Eddie got back his #Reload specials which are in Xrd. But getting used to controlling little Eddie in the mean time would be a good idea, regardless of the version.

And I'm pretty sure BnB combos will stay around this length like the usual GG games. It's great since the longer combos will stay hype when they do happen.

Yeah that seems to be her glaring flaw that keeps her out of the discussion. Besides that she probably would have been considered the strongest version of Cammy without a doubt. DP, FADC, DP doing 300 really hurt back in the day.

Without it I don't quite see her in the same echelon as Vanilla Sagat/Seth/Akuma and AE Yun/Yang/Fei. She's probably in the tier right below it though with the likes of Vanilla Ryu, Rufus, and a few others.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I wouldn't wish the sun on the worst of my enemies. Stop relying on others as a clutch and be a Darkwraith, the best covenant.

So you're one of the bastards that always invade when someone is just trying to stay in human form for events within the game.... I'll be sure to keep a close eye on names and make you suffer!

People still go on eventhubs? I gave up on that website due to the intrusive ads but sadly its the only site I know that list streams in terms of numbers so I can watch something if I'm free.

Ah, my day is complete.

My body will be ready.

NEO0MJ

I am ready for E3.

jJXznMeI3FGJj.png

Please be Pokken and TKXSF.

One is probably Tekken 7, but I have no idea about the rest. Are they obligated to release TKNxSF or not? Also, I really doubt that Pokken is a real thing. Pretty sure that most people who mention it are joking but I could be wrong.

Sayah

One is probably Tekken 7, but I have no idea about the rest. Are they obligated to release TKNxSF or not? Also, I really doubt that Pokken is a real thing. Pretty sure that most people who mention it are joking but I could be wrong.

Too soon for Tekken 7. Presently, I'm pretty sure a part of the Tekken team is very involved with the Smash Bros. project.

As far as TKXSF, I do not think they are obligated to make the game but why would Namco pass up the opportunity to use SF characters?

With Pokken, most people just want it to be the real thing but no one knows for sure if there's any development on that project. It's just a dream at this point. Pokken is a play on Tekken and considering Namco's good relationship with Nintendo, I'm wondering if that's another pipeline project that they're considering doing a partnership over.

Smash Bros. already seems to be coming along very well. And Sakurai himself had positive things to say about Namco.

Currently, the prototype prepared by Namco Bandai Games and Namco Bandai Studios' special team looks pretty good, and it's working great. In order to take advantage of the fact that there will be versions for two different systems, and to maximize and offer fun new gameplay elements, the entire team is going to work hard together.

Sakurai's response to a fan calling Namco Bandai "incompetent."

“Knock off looking down on them with narrow-minded thinking.”

Harada's comments as well:

“I think Nintendo chose us just because Smash Brothers is a fighting game. We have over 17 years of continuously developing titles in our franchise [Tekken], I think they felt we were a choice for that,” answered Katsuhiro Harada, Tekken series producer.

“Also, we’ve continually developed a very good relationship with Nintendo,” Harada continued. “Maybe not necessarily in the public spotlight but kind of behind the scenes. We have established a very good working relationship with them. Not just Nintendo, but as a company, we have a very good relationship with Sakurai-san at Sora as well. I think that we are in very good position to make a great game for the Smash Brothers series.”

"Obviously it’s a big priority for the company," Harada explained, "so company-wide there are a lot of people involved with that particular project. Not just from Tekken but a lot of our franchises. "

Possible Conclusions:

1. Pokken doesn't exist. Just a tech demo to show off Wii U capabilities.

2. It's entirely feasible Nintendo may want to share in the arcade profits and need an original game to begin with. Namco has Gundam and Tekken, both of which make insane money through their arcade releases. I do not conceive Pokken arcade release to be out of the realm of possibility. Nintendo already has arcade setups for Mario Kart in Namco-run facilities. And after their rapid decline with the console business now, maybe arcades is another venture they are looking into with a console release for the future?

3. Console-only release.

Sayah

Harada said earlier this year that he is not announcing a Tekken game this year....if he ends up doing so he's a liar lol

I think he said he wouldn't reveal any new Tekken games this year. But TKXSF has already been revealed and is known to be in existence. I don't see TKXSF falling under that category.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As far as TKXSF, I do not think they are obligated to make the game but why would Namco pass up the opportunity to use SF characters?
If they're not obligated.. why the fuck did they sign a contract for 1 release each and subsequently announce a product anyways? From the jump they're one up on just obligation and fully in required territory. When is a whole other story.

I hope TxSF is shown. It would be great for the scene because so many street fighter players would try it, hopefully resulting in raised interest and viewership for Tekken.

Sayah

If they're not obligated.. why the fuck did they sign a contract for 1 release each and subsequently announce a product anyways? From the jump they're one up on just obligation and fully in required territory. When is a whole other story.
I do not know the details of their contract and I will not assume to know the details.

Regardless of that, I am highly doubtful the contract would REQUIRE Namco to make TKXSF. It's not like Capcom gave Namco funding to make this game and they failed their obligations. From my perspective, the contract simply gave them the rights to use SF characters without any sort of infringements happening. Assuming Namco never makes TKXSF, I doubt Capcom can or will take any legal action.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

They signed a contract obligating them to make the game?

With how SFxT was received and with how long it's been since it came out I wouldn't be mad at them for cancelling the project.

They fucked up when they didn't develop them concurrently with each other. Now the gap between them is so far apart they might as well be unrelated games

Dahbomb

They fucked up when they didn't develop them concurrently with each other. Now the gap between them is so far apart they might as well be unrelated games
Which actually works in their favor.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
people keep saying this and I really don't see it happening..

I think it'd be like SFxT, where tekken players played it for a week and then went back to their game.

3D and 2D are just too different fundamentally. I'd imagine it'd be extremely hard for anyone really invested in one at a high level to make the transition to the other. Especially Tekken, which seems damn near impenetrable at this point.

Busaiku

Earlier last year, Nintendo released a trailer detailing Pokemon's history. At the end of it there was footage from a never before seen game with Lucario and Blaziken about to fight. Previously, they trademarked Pokken Fighters.

Top Bottom