• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 3-9 | Edition Edition

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
speaking of Dragona, how many other mods were ever removed by force?
obviously Amir0x is the first (and only, for me) former mod I can think of
Well, for a lot of demoddings we don't know the full picture.

A few weeks ago we lost Blackace, and it doesn't seem like it was amicable from what he's hinted at. I think Blackace has left the site entirely, actually. :(

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Well, for a lot of demoddings we don't know the full picture.

A few weeks ago we lost Blackace, and it doesn't seem like it was amicable from what he's hinted at. I think Blackace has left the site entirely, actually. :(

He's one of the mods who would delete posts. So, good.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I need to live where you live.

yeah i feel sorta bad when people say i wish i had this in my area. i have bums place, its literally a 30 minute train ride and probably 15 by car. only thing stopping me is the area, it is straight down hood down there and leaving past midnight is asking to get robbed. luckily, i got people i know who fiend on marvel around my area (only one sadly) and school (a damn bunch!). marhval all day errday baby.

I thought it was you but I couldn't track down the exact post (I probably should have used gaf search instead of google).

It looks like they've changed it further as it's an uppercut now instead of a long range thrust. So it'll likely only be useful for combos (and maybe close range punishes depending on the move used and if they're in Hellfire or not).

If I had access to the game I would spend an hour trying to find what it could combo into lol

I think some characters are definitely going to have it easier than others. Like Sol being able to do it from his RC'd command grab (although that costs full meter and there are likely less meter intensive ways to land it).

Instant Kill in general seems like a very interesting mechanic at least compared to Astrals in the sense that you can do it at any time but there's a hefty penalty if you mess it up.

I expect many YOLO Instant Kills in Gaf's Xrd future. :p

I seriously can't wait. I haven't even played it yet but I feel that it's going to the game of the year for me.

It would be funny if it was something as simple as CH greed sever.

Looks like it's even simpler than that. :p

Requoting from another thread. A new Xrd Ky combo video.

Astarte

I need to live where you live.

Atlanta (or Baltimore, depending on time of year) is a really strange place. I looked around for capcom games and got sucked into a vortex of anime instead.

yeah i feel sorta bad when people say i wish i had this in my area. i have bums place, its literally a 30 minute train ride and probably 15 by car. only thing stopping me is the area, it is straight down hood down there and leaving past midnight is asking to get robbed. luckily, i got people i know who fiend on marvel around my area (only one sadly) and school (a damn bunch!). marhval all day errday baby.

Yep, getting mugged drove me to get my own car. Baltimore hella scary.

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious gamer, those new stages really don't appeal to me at all.

I'm with you. They didn't do much to differentiate it from SFxT. I keep thinking it's SFxT when they play on those stages, especially when they are playing the SFxT characters.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm with you. They didn't do much to differentiate it from SFxT. I keep thinking it's SFxT when they play on those stages, especially when they are playing the SFxT characters.
100% this. If nobody makes a mod for the PC version so that I never have to see those stages in SF4, I'm gonna learn how to mod so I can make that shit myself.

Fuck those stages.

Anne

Atlanta (or Baltimore, depending on time of year) is a really strange place. I looked around for capcom games and got sucked into a vortex of anime instead.

Atlanta? >.> I'm from TN and Idk a lot of serious anime guys from there outside of like Eshi/Skelly/SG/Ivy/ZomB/Reptar, those guys. They need to come up more often, haven't seen anybody outside of Skelly since BBCP release. We used to have a pretty good anime group but they've been hella lazy and just not supportive lately outside a couple people, it's kinda crummy.

Astarte

Atlanta? >.> I'm from TN and Idk a lot of serious anime guys from there outside of like Eshi/Skelly/SG/Ivy/ZomB/Reptar, those guys. They need to come up more often, haven't seen anybody outside of Skelly since BBCP release. We used to have a pretty good anime group but they've been hella lazy and just not supportive lately outside a couple people, it's kinda crummy.

I think hella lazy is a good way to describe the people around me (and me), haha. At this point we're just really content with meeting up at houses or local tourneys; I think we reached a never ending cycle of "I should really travel and keep anime alive....but there's local anime so nah I'm good". We've had some drop off too, something about Brokonoe and "I'll just wait for Arcana Heart/GG/P4U2".

Xevren

100% this. If nobody makes a mod for the PC version so that I never have to see those stages in SF4, I'm gonna learn how to mod so I can make that shit myself.

Fuck those stages.

Yeah I agree with you, and this is coming from someone that loves SFxT. Stages are just so damn terrible.

Anne

I think hella lazy is a good way to describe the people around me (and me), haha. At this point we're just really content with meeting up at houses or local tourneys; I think we reached a never ending cycle of "I should really travel and keep anime alive....but there's local anime so nah I'm good". We've had some drop off too, something about Brokonoe and "I'll just wait for Arcana Heart/GG/P4U2".

We can't even get guys to drive an hour for meet ups at the moment. The KiT TOs gave us slots for anime, and we had less than half our TN people there and it was plain embarrassing. Seeing some severe drop off. I'd probably be going to Final Round if I had gotten to play an ASW game offline consistently but it's just not happening.

casperOne

Potemkin, Venom and Sol. Also Johnny, Testament and Zappa when(if) they become available.

It's "Las Mañanitas", a traditional mariachi birthday song that is also popular in other latin american countries like Peru. Translated lyrics:

These are like the morning songs that our King David used to sing.
Today being the day of your birthday, we are going to sing them to you.

Wake up my dearest, wake up, see now that the day has dawned
now the little birds are singing, the moon has finally set.

How lovely it is in this morning, when I come to greet for you
we all come with joy and pleasure and to celebrate with you.

The very day you were born all the flowers here have bloomed
and in the baptismal font all the nightingales have sung.

The dawn has come my darling, and the sunlight's here for us.
Rise and shine up with the morning and you'll see that here's the dawn.

Quite nice. Thank you!

Based BasedMonster.

Requoting from another thread. A new Xrd Ky combo video.

OMG, that's the best quality footage I've seen of XRD outside the trailers. Someone is doing something right.

Anne

I have yet to write a message to Xie. I have his email though, and will be reaching out to him by EOD tomorrow.

That's definitely not something I'm letting drop off my plate.

No worries, just curious. I'm always up for improving relations with Japan. A few of our Persona players reach out to their top players on twitter (our top Naoto talks to Denpa, our best Liz talks to Okusan) and it's been super neat. Best of luck, I'd like to see them sending better videos our way >_<

Astarte

We can't even get guys to drive an hour for meet ups at the moment. The KiT TOs gave us slots for anime, and we had less than half our TN people there and it was plain embarrassing. Seeing some severe drop off. I'd probably be going to Final Round if I had gotten to play an ASW game offline consistently but it's just not happening.

Yikes, sorry to hear about that. I'm a bit worried about the community not staying together, but at the moment it's being held together by minority hype and the fact that so many colleges are close to one another.

They did improve the lighting but damn, paired with some crappy music, these stages are just bad.

But the space stage looks...it looks like a stage. Something about how dark the background looks unnerves me, but maybe I didn't notice it as hard in SFxT.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The space stage looks entirely barren in Ultra, and not just for lack of figures on the sideline. Even the backgrounds without people in earlier SF games offered a scenic view or interesting backdrop, but this just has a reflection effect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Street Fighter Assassin's Fist Q&A.

Interesting bit about halfway through where he talks about the tone and art of the film, including how a lot of Akuma's moves in the games are inspired by certain ancient monk statues and stuff. He also says he hates when fight choreography in game adaptations is just general Hong Kong style fighting with random special moves occasionally placed in, which makes me excited for what he has choreographed. It's pretty crazy how meticulous they've been even just looking at the time periods the series spans. He also confirmed Ryu will do the collarbone breaker and a lot of normals that you'll recognize Kreygasm

He also says if it is successful, a follow-up would be doing the World Warrior series with more grounded reasons for needing a host body and starting a tournament. He also shits on SF4's art style and cartooniness if that's your thing.

Honestly, this project is like a dream come true.

Street Fighter 4: Anniversary edition: Ono, Killian and the SF4 community look back at five years of one of the fighting genre's greats.. Some quotes:
We suddenly had £150 arcade sticks selling out faster than MadCatz could make them and mini-tournaments popping up left, right and centre. "Street Fighter 4 took all those years of fiery passion and poured gasoline on it," says Killian.
I've never actually met the likes of Daigo, Xian, Infiltration, PR Balrog, Santhrax or Mike "Fourth Place" Ross in person, but I don't need to see a name on the screen to know who's manning the arcade stick. The play-style is usually enough of a giveaway.
"If it weren't for Nishiyama-san's work on Street Fighter, Nishitani's work on Street Fighter 2 and Sadamoto bringing Street Fighter 3 to realization, we wouldn't have had a base to build upon," Ono affirms. "We looked at what they had done, analysed it and did our best to pay them homage [...] As long as I'm alive and at Capcom, I want to keep up this effort and make Street Fighter 4 even better. At least until we get a new numbered sequel out there!"

alstein

"I'll just wait for Arcana Heart/GG/P4U2".

The eternal motto of the anime-FGC. ^_^

That said, folks are hype for Arcana here (not so much Persona though unfortunately)

Persona is one of those games I liked, but never got too deep into it- so I deservedly got bopped when I tried to enter a major.

Yeah I get the feeling. I'm not super hyped myself but it looks fun, and I'll encourage people to play (or not play) what they like. Was just kinda bummed to see somebody who showed interest lose it, but oh well.

And I'll never forget Persona, I'd talk about it tons here but not a ton of interest I think. I am working on a couple projects with some other pretty great Persona guys though. I'll post stuff up here when it's ready. Game's great, down to play and get people ready for P4U2 if they're interested.

Would love to learn P4A, but I feel like it's too late. Plus I don't know if I'd be able to juggle it with all the other fighters.

Anne

Would love to learn P4A, but I feel like it's too late. Plus I don't know if I'd be able to juggle it with all the other fighters.

Eh, if you get the chance to juggle it, it's not too late. Depending on the character, a ton of stuff is going to carry over to P4U2 most likely. Besides that fact, it's never too late to get into anything. I just started learning Project Justice like 6 months ago and am just now learning AH3. I personally think it's kind of silly to say it's too late to get into something, the games aren't going anywhere. I do understand the sentiment of wanting to play when the most players are there, but eh, I'm kinda used to tiny player bases personally.

Honestly, there's too much out there for people to play everything and that opportunity cost results in low turnout for all but the staples.

If you're not going to simply follow the flavor of the month, you have to make choices.

Not saying everybody should play everything, but if something interests you there is no reason not to go for it outside of not having the time, and that's understandable. Just play what you think is fun. If only 8 people show up, who cares? At least you can spend time playing a game you like. Gotta make choices, at least choose something you like.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Honestly, there's too much out there for people to play everything and that opportunity cost results in low turnout for all but the staples.

If you're not going to simply follow the flavor of the month, you have to make choices.

Astarte

This is pretty much why I'll never be *decent* at any fighting game. I pick all of them up, no matter what they are and I suffer for it. At least I have a lot of fun and get to be a punching bag for other people to feel better about themselves!

Uraizen

Banned

Yeah... definitely don't do this or you'll make a lot of purchases you regret. I know I have made a lot of them and I've learned nothing from it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah... definitely don't do this or you'll make a lot of purchases you regret. I know I have made a lot of them and I've learned nothing from it.
And if you're one who likes to poke around in a fighting game even if you aren't taking it seriously, learn to rein in those impulses. :(

Uraizen

Banned
And if you're one who likes to poke around in a fighting game even if you aren't taking it seriously, learn to rein in those impulses. :(

Can't -- I loathe the SFIV series and guess what?! I'll be buying ultra anyway just to see if the changes are enough for me to enjoy it! I knew nothing about aquapazza and bought that just to end up playing it for a day! I'll be buying the new AH3 when that drops, too, despite being complete ass at it.

Top Bottom