• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

OceanBlue

I think I like watching dath play, which is weird because I don't like watching Viper. At least, I like watching him play this matchup, lol. He doesn't seem nearly as nuts as other Viper players.

LOL walk up throw the entire two sets. last game walk up cr.fierce, too good. That was a nice tournament.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just got back from a 16-man anime con tournament with a guaranteed $2000 pot and top 8 payout.

Tonight was a good night.

KirbyKid

Don't miss the BaraBariBall stream tonight at 7pm central time broadcasted via VGbootcamp from the UFGT in Chicago!

BaraBariBall is a sport+fighting game I'm working on. Learn more here.

clashing_2.gif

Get Hyped (not an option).

It looks like there's some confirmation of UNiB headed to PS3.

http://www.gamercafe.cl/2013/05/24/...late-conversion-para-playstation-3-en-camino/

It's part of a new version update to the game, called "Under Night In-Birth EXcelate". Only Chaos is mentioned/shown; Nanase might be withheld for PR reasons.

UNiB EX is projected to hit JP arcades sometime late summer(?) and there's no projected console release date yet. There's also some consideration of taking the game to Steam.

Hey GAF,

I just got home from UFGT9. I had a fantastic time, and wish I could go to the next one. I thought I would give a breakdown of what I did while there for those who are interested. I bolded key words for easy reading.

I went 4-2 in Marvel. Unknown put my in Loser's, and then he eliminated me later when I played him again. The whole time I was salty as hell because my inputs were just not coming out. At first I thought it was just tournament nerves, because every match this was happening. As I started to try and do superjump into fireball with Firebrand and have just j.M come out, though, I became convinced it was the stick. After I got eliminated I played some casuals with Oerba on SRK, and asked if I could test the stick in training mode first.

Yeah, my stick had a problem. The little knob that can go between DP, RS, and DS (D-pad, right stick, left stick) had gotten switched to RS in my backpack when I pulled it out, so I had to set it properly. I thought it was normally on DS, so I put it there and didn't think about it again. It turns out that DS basically makes qcf motions not register at all in Marvel 3, because I sat in training mode making qcf motions over and over with input display on, and it just wasn't happening.

So, I was simultaneously irritated and satisfied. I went into this tournament with the goal of not going 0-2, and I definitely passed that goal (since it's my first major). However, I definitely could have beaten Unknown if not for this input error. In our second set, every single match I started the round by air throwing him with Firebrand, and everyone who has played my team knows what happens when Firebrand gets the first hit. I just kept dropping the follow-up combo (MMH, dive kick in the air, whiff the qcb.L to get back down and juts j.L instead :-(). I honestly experienced very little tournament nerves, though, because everyone was so friendly and talkative. I really enjoyed the experience.

Some CORN guy named Allcaps (a very fitting name) started shit with Fanatiq, and it was a good 15 minute tirade of him streaming while it was all caught on tape. That happened during my first set with Unknown, and was really annoying. Then a GFAQs player named JDM, who is also a CORN member, beat Fanatiq 3-0 in pools, which caused another pop-off by Allcaps. This one went on long enough that some staff members had to get involved to make sure no one threw punches since it got so heated. Unknown got a money match with JDM out of it, which also ended in JDM winning. Unknown was really salty and yelled a lot about it, even shouting out that he was a "scared little bitch" since he wouldn't rematch him. Most people thought it was all hype, but I just found it annoying and loud. I figure folks here would like the story, though.

Since there were so many games up and running, I took the weekend to experiment with a lot of games I've never played. Everyone was really helpful and tried to teach me stuff. I tried Injustice, and I think that game is just as much clunky ass as MK9 was, but with more extreme movesets. It's just bad. I played it for about 2 hours and didn't like any of the characters, either. Lobo was okay, but his shotgun is just so bad...and I couldn't figure out what his special was.

I played SFxT for the first time, and got bored very quickly. I only gave it 20 minutes, but I couldn't find a reason to play longer than that.

Divekick is fun and lots of laughs. I knew it would be solid, but I played this for a good 2 hours without tiring of it. I tried almost every character in the game. I thought I would like Stream Monster or Dive, but I just wasn't feeling it. I ended up totally loving Dr. Shoals and the double-dive kick you can do with her. Everything just fell into place when I started to use her, and I really enjoyed it. While the game is fun, though, I can't see myself buying it. Most of the enjoyment, I think, comes from playing someone IRL. It's not like I would ever come onto GAF and look for Divekick sets.
I proved that someone is a fraud. ;-D

Then I sat down and played Skullgirls. I honestly did not expect much, and my first few characters I just kind of said "meh" to. I liked Parasoul, but goddamn I hate charge characters and command normals, and that's her entire gameplan. I started to think that I might not find a character I liked to use, when a guy sat next to me and just started teaching me stuff. The next hour was spent with him just teaching me how to play the game, and he said the magic words: "Painwheel is a lot like Sentinel".

"How?"

"She flies around a lot like he does."

I kind of laughed, and thought that maybe he was just generalizing. Plenty of characters fly around in Marvel. Sentinel is Sentinel, nothing is like him (I speak of MvC2 Sentinel, the real one, not the outsourced one). Then I picked her: wow, she plays a lot like Sentinel. I played a ton of matches with her, and even took a match or two off of the guy teaching me (he was using characters he didn't know well, but it felt good). This is totally a character I could love.

This was Friday night, and I spent the next two days primarily playing Skullgirls. All told, I put a good 12 hours into the game. The game is truly fantastic, and the artstyle is actually aesthetically pleasing when you play it in person. I was actually going even or better against most of the people I played with solo Painwheel, but on Saturday night I was in training mode trying to figure out how to combo off of her ground throw when someone sat down next to me and asked if he could play for a while. I told him he looked familiar, and he said "I'm Duckator". I laughed and told him I'd just be a punching bag for him, and he said that it is still better than training mode (lol). So, we played for about 2 hours.

After the first 3 matches he told me that I should really get an assist for Painwheel. I didn't like anyone but Parasoul (and I can't play her), but after another 5 matches with my best result being taking out one of his characters, I decided I should listen (I know he's just much better than me). I asked him what Painwheel's "go to" assist is, and it turned out to be a Parasoul move. Cool. So I can Painwheel/Parasoul. During all of our sets, there were actually a few times where I got him down to his last character, and a good amount of the time I could take his point character down (I almost always got her below half health). I thought that was pretty good for a beginner.

Also, Painwheel/Parasoul plays JUST like Sentinel/Captain Commando. OH MY GOD. I'm almost tearing up right now because I'd forgotten all of the expectations MvC3 brought with it when Sentinel got leaked. *sigh* If they brought him back to MvC2 status in MvC3, I would main him on point again; I might even drop Dormammu for him. Anyway, back on track. It felt like old times. On the way home I thought about it, and I decided that I'm going to buy Skullgirls. This is truly a game worth supporting, and more people should try it. (I should get the PS3 version, right)?

I said "hi" to Markman, and he said he's had ~4 other GAFers say "hi" to him this weekend. Maybe we should have figured a way for us all to meet up, haha. -_-

Kioshen

Oh man that's a real bummer about the stick Karst but glad you liked Skullgirls ! Right now every version is now patched to the latest version and should be that way for a while. Actually the better version will probably end up being the PC version because you'll have access to the test versions and less hassle waiting for patches. You can pre-order it on lab zero's store. In any case, you can't go wrong right now with any version of SG.

Oh yeah, and it's weird being at a major. I see all of these faces like Floe, ChrisG, and Viscant, and I want to go up and say "Hey, how's it going!" Then I remember that they have no idea who I am, but I watch them play all the time. It gives me kind of a stalker-ish feeling about myself...

El Sloth

Banned
Damn, that sucks about the stick problems, Karst. At least now you know to look out for that in the future.

I'll repost what I said in the Skullgirls OT:

PSN version is the one with the larger playerbase and higher quality players at the moment. Steam version may very well end up being the definitive version though.

All the DLC characters funded through the IndieGoGo campaign will be free on all platforms for the first three months after they're released. That's 5 free characters. The first one, Squigly, is coming this Summer along with a big new balance patch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh yeah, and it's weird being at a major. I see all of these faces like Floe, ChrisG, and Viscant, and I want to go up and say "Hey, how's it going!" Then I remember that they have no idea who I am, but I watch them play all the time. It gives me kind of a stalker-ish feeling about myself...
I know that feel.

I was wearing my BT shirt and Yipes was wearing the same one but I felt like I'd look like a fucking groupie if I went up to him. Also stood and watched Part of top 16 for Marvel shoulder to shoulder with him.

I think most would be cool if you said what's up but it's just weird if there's no conversation from there.

Content for next week's thread:

MICHIGAN MASTERS 2013 [Saturday] [10AM EDT]
  • The biggest fighting game tournament in Michigan is back! The Michigan Fighting Game Community, Project Playhem, and the Michigan Smash Bros community are collaborating to bring you Michigan Masters 2013! Last year there were over 100 people in attendance, and brackets with 50+ entrants!
  • AddMitt will be streaming, who did a pretty awesome job at the last Season's Beatings after Sp00ky dropped at the eleventh hour. Smash has a dedicated stream here.
  • Everything you could possibly want to know
  • CORN

Fighting Games Weekly | May 27-2 | Skullgirls in arcades? Japan gonna toss yen coins
I thought you'd be hype about me finally trying it and liking it!

Fighting Games Weekly | Xbox One is always online but that doesn't matter because Injustice started at 9
It was pretty empty. I think a few Injustice players even got DQed for not showing up. Keits kept threatening them over the mic "I mean it guys, you have 1 minute to check in for top 8 or you're DQed...". He said it enough that I have to think at least one person didn't get to play top 8, but I don't know that for sure.

I know that feel.

I was wearing my BT shirt and Yipes was wearing the same one but I felt like I'd look like a fucking groupie if I went up to him. Also stood and watched Part of top 16 for Marvel shoulder to shoulder with him.

I think most would be cool if you said what's up but it's just weird if there's no conversation from there.
Haha yeah. I even went to JJJ and said "Hey! I've been watching you play since Vanilla, your Morrigan has always been very inspiring for me. You did a lot of stuff before anyone else did." He just kind of gave me an "Oh okay, thanks." back, and then I had nothing more to say. I told him we should play later, but it never happened. I did get Ghost Rider mirrors in against someone, though. ;-D

Damn, that sucks about the stick problems, Karst. At least now you know to look out for that in the future.

I'll repost what I said in the Skullgirls OT:

PSN version is the one with the larger playerbase and higher quality players at the moment. Steam version may very well end up being the definitive version though.

All the DLC characters funded through the IndieGoGo campaign will be free on all platforms for the first three months after they're released. That's 5 free characters. The first one, Squigly, is coming this Summer along with a big new balance patch.
I honestly doubt that my PC can handle Skullgirls. It can't even run Dungeon Defenders perfectly at its lowest specs. I'll purchase the PSN version - thank you. Now I have to read a ton of material and learn stuff. I don't even know who the 5 characters are
except for Beowulf because he sucks

• The biggest fighting game tournament in Michigan is back! The Michigan Fighting Game Community, Project Playhem, and the Michigan Smash Bros community are collaborating to bring you Michigan Masters 2013! Last year there were over 100 people in attendance, and brackets with 50+ entrants!
  • AddMitt will be streaming, who did a pretty awesome job at the last Season's Beatings after Sp00ky dropped at the eleventh hour
  • CORN

Well I'm sold. CORN 4 lyfe.

I am, but I guess I sorta expected it from you? I don't know... I think you are smart enough to tell when a game is good so this is no surprise.

What really worries me is what would happen if we fight. I'm scared of beating new people down too hard. I know I'm no duckator, Pali, Baiken, Mike Z or Keninblack.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

• AddMitt will be streaming, who did a pretty awesome job at the last Season's Beatings after Sp00ky dropped at the eleventh hour
  • CORN
Already got it in my thread, but it's appreciated. This is the same as the GAFer Mitt right? He used to post back in vanilla Marvel days.

I am, but I guess I sorta expected it from you? I don't know... I think you are smart enough to tell when a game is good so this is no surprise.

What really worries me is what would happen if we fight. I'm scared of beating new people down too hard. I know I'm no duckator, Pali, Baiken, Mike Z or Keninblack.
No worries. If I can handle 2 hours of getting smashed by Duckator, I'm sure I can handle any beatings you'll dish out.

Also, the netcode is super good, right?

No worries. If I can handle 2 hours of getting smashed by Duckator, I'm sure I can handle any beatings you'll dish out.

Also, the netcode is super good, right?
So long as you wire up. I had to tell a friend to plug in his ethernet the other day for Guilty Gear's horrific netcode. That should be the default state if someone has the option.

So long as you wire up. I had to tell a friend to plug in his ethernet the other day for Guilty Gear's horrific netcode. That should be the default state if someone has the option.
I'm always wired. I played Vanilla wireless for a while, and now wherever I go, the TV is next to my computer.

Agh man, I know this feel. Kept hitting me at Evo last year.

The two faces I did end up talking to for a while were thankfully pretty chill, or more likely just used to it. (Mike Z and S-Kill)

Awesome that you picked up SG and enjoyed it. I'm sure you're already a better Painwheel player than I am. #Kappa

alstein

I honestly doubt that my PC can handle Skullgirls. It can't even run Dungeon Defenders perfectly at its lowest specs. I'll purchase the PSN version - thank you. Now I have to read a ton of material and learn stuff. I don't even know who the 5 characters are
except for Beowulf because he sucks

Mike Z has claimed his 10-yr laptop runs Skullgirls just fine. As long as you have something stronger than a toaster you should be fine. I wonder if Ouya could handle SG?

vulva

Karst,

Having been to quite a few majors myself now as well as tons of WNFs, I feel like you might appreciate this advice. If you see someone you recognize and might want to say hi to, I usually just think of a reason to say hello beyond a friendly exchange.

My last WNF I went to, I talked with Mike Ross, Keno and several others. I basically asked if they might be able to provide some advice on certain matchups etc. It's an easy way to start talking to these players and you can get some genuinely great advice from it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mike Z has claimed his 10-yr laptop runs Skullgirls just fine. As long as you have something stronger than a toaster you should be fine. I wonder if Ouya could handle SG?
This is good news for me.

I mean I have a 5450 or some shit like that, but I'm always astounded by some games I can't run at a decent framerate.

I figured SG would be fairly intensive because of all the animations and HD sprites too, but if it is as optimized as they claim I will be supporting on PC.

Also is http://www.twitch.tv/directory not loading all games for anyone else?

Agh man, I know this feel. Kept hitting me at Evo last year.

The two faces I did end up talking to for a while were thankfully pretty chill, or more likely just used to it. (Mike Z and S-Kill)

Awesome that you picked up SG and enjoyed it. I'm sure you're already a better Painwheel player than I am. #Kappa
Hahaha, we'll find out in the near future. I have some IRL stuff to take care of now, but soon...

IDK, my PC uses an inbuilt video card. Even 1080p videogame trailers choke it up a bit.

Karst,

Having been to quite a few majors myself now as well as tons of WNFs, I feel like you might appreciate this advice. If you see someone you recognize and might want to say hi to, I usually just think of a reason to say hello beyond a friendly exchange.

My last WNF I went to, I talked with Mike Ross, Keno and several others. I basically asked if they might be able to provide some advice on certain matchups etc. It's an easy way to start talking to these players and you can get some genuinely great advice from it.
Thanks, I appreciate that. At one point when my stick kept messing up I thought about taking it to Markman to use it as a conversation point, but then I figured the problem out. That would have been a funny way for him to meet me, haha...

I'm not too heavy on getting buddy-buddy with the popular guys. It's not like we'll see each other ever again. I suppose that if I started to go to majors more often, I would get into top 32 for Marvel here and there, and people would just start to recognize my name.

Top Bottom