• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 27 - June 2nd | Check Your E-Privilege

onionfrog

Coming from Marvel, Skullgirls makes a lot of sense. I think I'll buy it sometime this week.

If they both block used games, I see a fighting game crash incoming, or fighters moving to PC.

Keep your PS3's around.
Absolutely, my PS3 isn't going anywhere.

This is the crux of it right here. We all have our breaking point, and I'm sure most, if not all gamers will wade through the shit to play what they have to play.

I definitely know mine, it's either MvC4 or PGR5. Either of those will force my hand.

Also 3DS is secret best platform out right now. I can't afford all these awesome games coming out for it.

Those who want to voluntary get screwed they can do so by all means, no game will make make me put up with the proposed DRM.

Dahbomb

I don't think its just fighting games that will crash. Action games while still surviving this gen will pretty much crash next gen when there are so many DRMs making it harder on you to play offline single player. Imagine doing a Master Ninja run and then have your Xbox stop you from playing because you forgot to connect to the internet.

Although I think action games will have a lot of superfluous online multiplayer components to them like GoW tried.

Quoted from the old thread but if you want to follow it's development you can have a look at MikeZ's online to-do list.
Thank you!

I'm definitely going to UFGT next year (if I have the cash)

Also, was Unknown really about to fight someone? I missed the stream yesterday
Naw, it was all just chickenhawking.

Coming from Marvel, Skullgirls makes a lot of sense. I think I'll buy it sometime this week.
I just bought mine this morning. $90 in PSN credit left. >.>

That's a lot of PSN credit!
I'll probably have to wait until payday...
We should play some time this week, marvel too if possible.
When Vanilla Marvel came out, I asked for $100 in PSN credit for Christmas because Capcom said that the game was built for DLC support. I wanted to be prepared.

Shito

I don't think its just fighting games that will crash. Action games while still surviving this gen will pretty much crash next gen when there are so many DRMs making it harder on you to play offline single player. Imagine doing a Master Ninja run and then have your Xbox stop you from playing because you forgot to connect to the internet.
Come on, I'm really not a fan of what Microsoft announced, and I do really hope Sony will hear the backlash and abandon whatever DRM scheme they had in mind (or at least soften it), but there's no need to exagerate things that much.
Action games as a genre will crash because you "forgot to connect to the internet"? Come on, the situation you're describing is pretty much the same as having a power failure in the middle of a run: excruciating, but not that common.
Now once again, don't misunderstand me: I'm not defending them, there. I'm just saying that we shouldn't be all doom&gloom neither.

alstein

Although I think action games will have a lot of superfluous online multiplayer components to them like GoW tried.

You're right, but this is the FG thread, and FG's are what I have a console for.

Also, We're definitely post-peak righ now in terms of fighters already, so unless something big comes along, we're going to see numbers drop slowly (still better than the Dark Ages) , and nothing big is coming for a good while.

CurlyW

I know everybody has been talking about the big controversy from UFGT9, so I'm here to set the record straight with some real talk.

I asked Karst to play on stream and he said he didn't want to.

Grab the DLC colours when they come out too. I was surprised to find that they also appear to unlock all the default colours for everyone too. :)
I probably won't get the DLC colors just because I'm a "default color" kind of guy for 99% of the characters I use in fighting games. This may sound odd, but I don't feel like it's "the character" if I change their color.

I know everybody has been talking about the big controversy from UFGT9, so I'm here to set the record straight with some real talk.

I asked Karst to play on stream and he said he didn't want to.
Truth, but did you read my post? It turns out that my stick wasn't behaving properly (my fault), so I was right to not go on stage. I would have embarrassed myself even though I won that next set.

Dahbomb

Come on, I'm really not a fan of what Microsoft announced, and I do really hope Sony will hear the backlash and abandon whatever DRM scheme they had in mind (or at least soften it), but there's no need to exagerate things that much.
Action games as a genre will crash because you "forgot to connect to the internet"? Come on, the situation you're describing is pretty much the same as having a power failure in the middle of a run: excruciating, but not that common.
Now once again, don't misunderstand me: I'm not defending them, there. I'm just saying that we shouldn't be all doom&gloom neither.
The thing with action games is that they are already suffering as it is and we are terribly close to an action game "dark age". They are not performing well even when a quality product is presented. GoW is on a decline, DMC got rebooted into a shittier version, Darksiders is now with another company with no real future, NG is spiraling into a black hole of shittiness and Bayonetta 2 is coming out on a struggling console. Even MGR, a quality action game by the best action game studio carried on a huge IP couldn't do better than DMC4.

These DRM issues are going to exacerbate things further. More competition from games with fully featured online components and multiplayer means the perceived value of these games will go down. Not to mention that gamers in general are shying away from linear single player experiences as they don't feel its worth the $60 for games they can beat in a day and never touch again.

Action games in general need something new. They need to break out of their shit linear PS2 era level design for one.

CurlyW

Truth, but did you read my post? It turns out that my stick wasn't behaving properly (my fault), so I was right to not go on stage. I would have embarrassed myself even though I won that next set.

No, I missed that. That really sucks. I didn't blame you at all for declining the chance to play on stream though, stick problems or not. A few local players had tech issues, actually. James Jr.'s pad broke and he failed to make it out of pools in KoF because of it. Sadness.

kirblar

I probably won't get the DLC colors just because I'm a "default color" kind of guy for 99% of the characters I use in fighting games. This may sound odd, but I don't feel like it's "the character" if I change their color.

Unknown v Karsticles MM! Set it up! :p

No, I missed that. That really sucks. I didn't blame you at all for declining the chance to play on stream though, stick problems or not. A few local players had tech issues, actually. James Jr.'s pad broke and he failed to make it out of pools in KoF because of it. Sadness.
Mine was really, really stupid. I crammed 2 fightsticks, 2 changes of clothes, a book, and my phone charger into my backpack. I didn't get to unload until after pools were done, so I had to struggle to get the stick out to play. While pulling it out, the knob that switches the stick input from DP to LS to RS got switched to RS, so it didn't do anything at all. At the time, I thought it was normally on LS, so I put it back there. It turns out that this makes a ton of inputs just not register in Marvel 3 (I tested it in Skullgirls and it seemed okay). Especially qcf motions. So in my matches I was doing stupid stuff like superjumping with Firebrand into j.M over and over instead of throwing Fireballs. It was just a mess. I don't know how I won 4 matches like that, since it meant dropping ~70% of my combos in practice.

Totally my fault, and I learned something knew.

Also, thank you for trying to get me on stream. I don't think I expressed my appreciation for you doing that at the event.

Unknown v Karsticles MM! Set it up! :p
I'm not into MM stuff. I play the game to enjoy myself. I stopped playing chess competitively because it became all about the money. If I want to suffer the agony of doing activities for the purpose of making money, I'll just work more. There's no reason to taint the things I enjoy with that stuff.

Dahbomb

Is DOTA 2 F2P?
F2P, all heroes unlocked at start, all modes unlocked, you can watch live games through the game itself and you get randomly generated items for your heroes.

You can buy cosmetic items (like hero costumes, courier costumes, different HUDs, different announcers) and other stuff like tickets to various events. They are doing a Compendium thing which is like a crowdfund event for the TI3 prize pool. It gives rewards to Compendium players based on goals achieved like which hero the community wants next, a legendary item, special courier etc.

Its the best F2P model out there IMO. Perfect for fighting games. In LoL's model you pay for or grind currency (takes a long ass time) to purchase heroes and runes (passives for your Summoner, required for high level play). That would be the absolute worst system for fighting games.

F2P, all heroes unlocked at start, all modes unlocked, you can watch live games through the game itself and you get randomly generated items for your heroes.

You can buy cosmetic items (like hero costumes, courier costumes, different HUDs, different announcers) and other stuff like tickets to various events. They are doing a Compendium thing which is like a crowdfund event for the TI3 prize pool. It gives rewards to Compendium players based on goals achieved like which hero the community wants next, a legendary item, special courier etc.

Its the best F2P model out there IMO. Perfect for fighting games.

Yeah, if a F2P fighting game like that came around, I'd probably play it (of course, as long as it was solid gameplay wise). Heck, I would probably even consider buying some cosmetic items.

Shito

What if I want to try out other characters to see if I like them?
They rotate free characters just like they do in LoL.
Since it seems to be an international version of Xuan Dou Zhi Wang, I suppose they'll use the same model.

I agree DOTA2 does it better. :/

Dahbomb

I don't think a F2P fighting game with pay or grind to unlock characters is a good idea at all. However, aside from characters, a few stages, a simple single player mode and a training mode everything else in a fighting game can be made purchasable. Stuff like special win quotes/animations, taunts, HUD, extra stages, costumes, titles.

Anything that gets in the territory of "pay to win" is an awful idea. I should be able to compete in tournaments without any money spent on the game. Grind to unlock is grey territory, I mean its not like we didn't have unlockable characters in the past but its just not a good idea for tournaments.

Horseress

Its the best F2P model out there IMO. Perfect for fighting games. In LoL's model you pay for or grind currency (takes a long ass time) to purchase heroes and runes (passives for your Summoner, required for high level play). That would be the absolute worst system for fighting games.

Yeah, that looks good indeed. And I wouldn't mind if, from time to time (6 months maybe) it had a DLC pack, with some new characters for $10 bucks or something like that, but yeah, the "first" characters should all be unlocked at start

They rotate free characters just like they do in LoL.
Since it seems to be an international version of Xuan Dou Zhi Wang, I suppose they'll use the same model.

I agree DOTA2 does it better. :/

This free character rotation would not be THAT bad actually

Shito

Something they could do, if they really want to sell characters, would be to make them free and all unlocked in training mode, but you can't play with them against other people if you don't buy them.

But who am I kidding, they're just gonna slap the LoL model onto it and call it a day, without thinking about the specificities of fighting games...

Dahbomb

In DOTA 2 a new character is unlocked from the get go for everyone. In HoN, when a new character comes its only purchasable for a while after which it becomes free to play for everyone. I think that's reasonable and even more so fighting games since you won't get new characters as often compared to these MOBA games.

Busaiku

I don't think a F2P fighting game with pay or grind to unlock characters is a good idea at all. However, aside from characters, a few stages, a simple single player mode and a training mode everything else in a fighting game can be made purchasable. Stuff like special win quotes/animations, taunts, HUD, extra stages, costumes, titles.

Anything that gets in the territory of "pay to win" is an awful idea. I should be able to compete in tournaments without any money spent on the game. Grind to unlock is grey territory, I mean its not like we didn't have unlockable characters in the past but its just not a good idea for tournaments.

I agree, but I can't see relying on that kind of stuff as the main income source to be a good move either.
Granted I don't play most F2P stuff, cause they're most in genres/platforms that I don't really care for, so maybe I just can't understand how the model would work, but that's how I see it.

Infinite

I was at a barbecue so I missed all the UFGT stuff. I did however see Lord Knight get blown up by an instant kill from Banana Ken and that pleased me.

Dahbomb

Games like DOTA 2 and LoL make an OBSCENE amount of money. Like everyday they are making a good amount of money from simple cosmetics.

Thing with F2P model is that its an expensive lottery ticket for publishers. You either win big or lose hard. I would say in genres other than MOBAs it is viable if released with quality and on a platform lacking in it. Releasing a MOBA means you will not see a big piece of the pie... LoL and DOTA 2 have a huge stranglehold on the competition with HoN at a distant 3rd.

Top Bottom