• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 27 - June 2nd | Check Your E-Privilege

I don't care anyone says, that team worked! The characters totally did their jobs. His losses were mistakes that could happen in any match. Of course, we'll see how Chris adjusts now that he knows about it. It's not gonna be the typical free win he gets though.
It worked that time, but ChrisG was being sloppy. The last time FChamp used a Phoenix team, the problem was NOT getting to 5 bars, it was Soul Drain combos. ChrisG let Phoenix go dark every single time against him, and there's just no excuse for that. I think that the team is solid in the matchup, but it's not a fantastic answer for this reason. It also has terrible, terrible matchups against most top teams.

It worked that time, but ChrisG was being sloppy. The last time FChamp used a Phoenix team, the problem was NOT getting to 5 bars, it was Soul Drain combos. ChrisG let Phoenix go dark every single time against him, and there's just no excuse for that. I think that the team is solid in the matchup, but it's not a fantastic answer for this reason. It also has terrible, terrible matchups against most top teams.

Yeah, I noticed he was doing that too, even though he seemed to have no problem with those combos against Neo at NCR. But it sort of makes me wonder if he's working on fighting Dark Phoenix (in the event that he would ever have to) and that was why he was letting her turn dark.

Yeah, I noticed he was doing that too, even though he seemed to have no problem with those combos against Neo at NCR. But it sort of makes me wonder if he's working on fighting Dark Phoenix (in the event that he would ever have to) and that was why he was letting her turn dark.
Morrigan can't really fight Dark Phoenix, though. Hell, she can't even fight normal Phoenix well if the Phoenix player is willing to spend meter. Phoenix has two amazing tools to throw at Morrigan:

Teleport x Phoenix Rage - does good damage and can be XFCed into full combos, hard to block because Phoenix has 3 teleports and you can barely see what she's going to do.

TK Overdrive H - full screen, goes through all fireballs. XFC into full combos.

You just have to be risky enough with Phoenix to do that stuff. FChamp plays it safe.

Warpticon

The thing about that dorm/morrigan strategy is that it doesn't matter if morrigan hits you. chris just needs to learn the better soul drain combos, steal 2-3 meters from the second char, and all that meter building work amounts to nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised. Shit, if you really want to test your abilities against Dark Phoenix, going against FChamp's DP at a major is about as hardcore of a test as you can get.

Dahbomb

I wouldn't be surprised. Shit, if you really want to test your abilities against Dark Phoenix, going against FChamp's DP at a major is about as hardcore of a test as you can get.
ChrisG to Dark Phoenix:

just-bring-it-b-h-o.gif

Solune

The thing about that dorm/morrigan strategy is that it doesn't matter if morrigan hits you. chris just needs to learn the better soul drain combos, steal 2-3 meters from the second char, and all that meter building work amounts to nothing.

Chris G's team is pretty hard to implement Soul Drain combos into unless they are in a corner though, it's even harder because he is constantly calling Missiles which doesn't give him room to call Vergil. He's content on throwing the fireball game the whole time, in certain matchups though he may want to tag in Vergil so that he can land meter draining DHC combos.

Chris G's team is pretty hard to implement Soul Drain combos into unless they are in a corner though, it's even harder because he is constantly calling Missiles which doesn't give him room to call Vergil. He's content on throwing the fireball game the whole time, in certain matchups though he may want to tag in Vergil so that he can land meter draining DHC combos.
A local player here showed me a setup he has on incoming characters that combos two Soul Drains together while crossing the opponent up - no assists needed, and you can convert off of it. There's so much unexplored Morrigan tech out there. No one can even do her instant overhead yet (twice as fast as the Shell Kick overhead).

And all ChrisG needs to do is TAC to Vergil to land Soul Drain for big meter theft.

1) Morrigan bnb.
2) TAC to Vergil.
3) Helm Breaker.
4) df.H x Dimension Slash.
5) DHC to Astral Vision.
6) Soul Drain (hits twice!).

TACs against Phoenix teams are free, too.

TheChits

I feel like I've seen most of this footage and the interviews before. I remember the girl gamer bit, Seth talking about whether it's a sport or not, the Akuma cosplayer, the guy who doesn't enter tournaments anymore, hell even the JaHa introduction. A lot is reused footage from.. somewhere. Same exact footage.

Yeah I had to check the date to make sure it was actually new. I know I've seen that whole video before

Dahbomb

Oh man I just saw the NeoGAF documentary trailer after that.

CliffyB "NeoGAF has turned analyzing the gaming industry into its own meta game"

Truer words have never been spoken.

I think all the main games should have gotten a trophy. If the players have to pay the larger entry fee to have the privilege of entering a "main game" then they deserve a trophy.

Otherwise, just make them side tourneys. It's unfair to MK, VS, and Skullgirls winners to have to pay the extra amount and get nothing extra for it.

Yes, why was MK a "main game" if it wasn't going to get the same treatment?

It's especially disappointing because Chicago is the home of MK and this was a big tournament for us. Probably the most stacked since SCR 2013.

I am disappointed in the answer that pre-reg were too low. He should have known turnout would be pretty good and sure enough it was about the same as other trophy games. Was there some specific cut off?

But whatever. Sorry I vented a frustration that my good friend didn't get the same respect other tournament winners did.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I feel like I've seen most of this footage and the interviews before. I remember the girl gamer bit, Seth talking about whether it's a sport or not, the Akuma cosplayer, the guy who doesn't enter tournaments anymore, hell even the JaHa introduction. A lot is reused footage from.. somewhere. Same exact footage.

Yeah I remember watching that video. I remember how it had the GT narrator and also how they took it down a few days later.

Yes, why was MK a "main game" if it wasn't going to get the same treatment?

It's especially disappointing because Chicago is the home of MK and this was a big tournament for us. Probably the most stacked since SCR 2013.

I am disappointed in the answer that pre-reg were too low. He should have known turnout would be pretty good and sure enough it was about the same as other trophy games. Was there some specific cut off?

But whatever. Sorry I vented a frustration that my good friend didn't get the same respect other tournament winners did.

Isn't MK a main game because UFGT is a road to evo event that gives out points?

Yeah, I thought that meant something.

Which reminds me, I am also annoyed that UFGT did not use the EVO rules for stage selection in Injustice.

What are the Evo stage selection rules? This is all I see on Evo's website about Injustice rules:

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Game version: US Playstation 3
Game Settings: Versus Mode, 2/3 Rounds, 2/3 Games
Lobo, BatGirl are tournament legal.

http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-additional-rules/

...How was he supposed to know that if the pre-reg numbers were low?

Past history, having an understanding of the MK scene? He could have asked any of us what we thought the turnout would be like. I would have said 60+.

EVO rules are pure random. Random stage to start and loser can re-random. UFGT rules were 50/50 between the players.

...How was he supposed to know that if the pre-reg numbers were low?

Because Chicago is the home of Mortal Kombat where it doesn't get as many entrants as King of Fighters or Persona.

I wonder if Persona is going to get more entrants than MK at EVO?

Also EVO hasn't announced stage selection rules for Injustice yet so ???

Because Chicago is the home of Mortal Kombat where it doesn't get as many entrants as King of Fighters or Persona.

Also EVO hasn't announced stage selection rules for Injustice yet so ???

Yeah I guess 5 guys should be the cut off between trophy worthy or not. Whatever.

EVO announced the stage rules when it was announced as an EVO game.

Speaking of EVO, I hope F.Champ is actually practicing on a PS3 instead of a 360.
He could have asked any of us what we thought the turnout would be like. I would have said 60+.
Instead of Keits just taking your word for it, why didn't the MK community pre-reg to make things simpler?

Warpticon

It's not as easy as, say, my team (that I made specifically to set up soul drain combos with), but it's not that tough. if you have 2 meters and x-factor it's fairly easy.

MK community's current game is Injustice and you know that.

In fact, it's not as splintered as the GG/BB/Persona community where some didn't follow into BB and some didn't follow into Persona. The entirety of MK9 pretty much moved onto Injustice from day 1.

Speaking of EVO, I hope F.Champ is actually practicing on a PS3 instead of a 360.

Instead of Keits just taking your word for it, why didn't the MK community pre-reg to make things simpler?

We did pre-reg. Pre-reg numbers weren't low. It was apparently early pre-reg numbers. How were we to know?

Reading the EVO rules, looks like Tekken Tag is 2/3 games. Is the community up in arms about that? I know some guys boycotted NCR in part because of 2/3 games.

Past history, having an understanding of the MK scene? He could have asked any of us what we thought the turnout would be like. I would have said 60+.

EVO rules are pure random. Random stage to start and loser can re-random. UFGT rules were 50/50 between the players.
So UFGT makes stage selection less random, and that's a problem for the community?

Reading the EVO rules, looks like Tekken Tag is 2/3 games. Is the community up in arms about that? I know some guys boycotted NCR in part because of 2/3 games.
Stream viewers everywhere release tears of gratitude.

Seriously?

Man, today I've been finding out that the anime scene isn't the only one that has it's weirdos. Hopefully they had a better reason than that. :/

So UFGT makes stage selection less random, and that's a problem for the community?

Stream viewers everywhere release tears of gratitude.

It's a problem for some. The community is split on stage selection. I favor random and I wish an EVO qualifier had the same rules as EVO.

It's a problem for some. The community is split on stage selection. I favor random and I wish an EVO qualifier had the same rules as EVO.
IMO, if random is good enough, then stage preference is fine too. It never makes sense to frown on something being less random in a competitive game.

Seriously?

Man, today I've been finding out that the anime scene isn't the only one that has it's weirdos. Hopefully they had a better reason than that. :/

Yeah, pretty sure I remember RIP for one was mad in part because it started on Friday and in part because "2/3 games is too random so why even bother."

or maybe it was kor, these three letter names confuse my small brain.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
What makes Tekken random enough that the community wants 3/5, but SF4 peeps are relatively content with 2/3? Is it the high damage? I know that the damage in TTT2 is higher than in other Tekken games.

I play TTT2 sometimes but I'm terrible and I still don't really understand it well.

Xevren

I still don't get why NRS didn't have a random select in the stage select to begin with, then we wouldn't have to deal with this shit. Fuck that it's in the background shit.

He's just joking. They really just had jobs and couldn't go.
Damn Tekken players

I wish I were as successful. I would have made Smashers work for that "final" EVO slot.

;P
Yeah, pretty sure I remember RIP for one was mad in part because it started on Friday and in part because "2/3 games is too random so why even bother."
Sheesh

Japan laughs at us with their 1 round blitz tournaments. You'd think 2 out of 3 matches would be enough.

Morrigan can't really fight Dark Phoenix, though. Hell, she can't even fight normal Phoenix well if the Phoenix player is willing to spend meter. Phoenix has two amazing tools to throw at Morrigan:

Teleport x Phoenix Rage - does good damage and can be XFCed into full combos, hard to block because Phoenix has 3 teleports and you can barely see what she's going to do.

TK Overdrive H - full screen, goes through all fireballs. XFC into full combos.

You just have to be risky enough with Phoenix to do that stuff. FChamp plays it safe.

You haven't been paying attention to Chris G's fights vs F Champ, even 1 year ago pre-EVO back at the FGTV house Chris G was beating F Champ pretty well in the Morrigan vs Dark Phoenix matchup. Phoenix can't simply teleport below Morrigan, that's an open invitation to getting shell kicked. And Chris G has Vergil so there's not that much reason for him to fear Dark Phoenix too. FChamp's anti-Chris G tactics are based on the idea that Chris G is a fraud and has a bad Doom and Vergil, those are the tactics of someone who will never beat Chris G.

In any case chances are he'll get bodied by J Wong/PR Rog/Flocker before he meets Chris G.

What makes Tekken random enough that the community wants 3/5, but SF4 peeps are relatively content with 2/3? Is it the high damage? I know that the damage in TTT2 is higher than in other Tekken games.

I play TTT2 sometimes but I'm terrible and I still don't really understand it well.

Higher damage is one, the carry you into the wall and turn you into a punching bag is another. Having 59 characters, each with gazillion moves, is another problem too as there's a high chance of you getting bodied by a move you have never seen people use before.

Who should marvel fans whine to on twitter about this? Or should we be reasonable human beings and recognize that running a tournament with a large number of people and games requires compromises?

I am reasonable. I understand that MK is not as big as it once was and even though to us the top 16 was a big deal I can see why it didn't get stream time. I'm grateful top 8 was. That is fair. I'm also not THAT outraged about the Injustice top 32 not being streamed. Sucks but I could live with it. I never even complained in public about the 9:30 am start time for top 8. I only said something about the trophy cause I'm disappointed my friend didn't get one and I thought he deserves the same as the other tournament winners cause it wasn't an easy win.

Tekken is set at 3/5 rounds though. Doesn't that still provide way much more time to adapt to your opponent than any other game besides maybe KOF since it's characters you go through not rounds. Maybe someone who plays both Tekken and other games can enlighten me on this and how it feels in comparison, because it would seem something like getting Akuma vortexed multiple times in a row might feel more random than what happens in a regular Tekken match.

Deps

Nothing, it's just some top tekken players calling the game random and asking for 3/5 because they aren't placing as well as they did in T6, iirc Kor started the whole 3/5 thing. Though to be fair, even the Koreans said TTT2 was random when they first got it, now they say it's fine. I think the game is just very unforgiving. Until you put in a lot of time and get used to the crazy amount of variables you need to keep track of it can feel random, and the U.S as a whole is still not very good at TTT2.

Top Bottom