• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

There's only one scientifically-proven formula for judging the quality of ASW games, and by extension, anime games in general.

Quality of music + uber micro(buttons pressed per minute) / number of schoolchildren + furries = Cool Factor

Let's see how ASW's lineup lines up:

Hokuto no Ken
How Awesome? So Awesome.

Persona 4 Arena
  • Music: Actually kind of great
  • BP/M: Is this even anime?
  • Disgrace Ratio: 100%
How Awesome? Kind of Awesome.

Blaz Blue
  • Music: What is this
  • BP/M: detectable levels. wait, someone bumped the machine
  • Disgrace Ratio: Makoto/10
How Awesome? Not Awesome.

Clearly Hokuto no Ken is a timeless classic that ASW failed to build upon.

pixelish

Best victory theme ever[/URL]
[*]BP/M: incalculable
[*]Disgrace Ratio: 0%
[/LIST]
How Awesome? So Awesome.

Persona 4 Arena

Blaz Blue

1kqzTE2.gif

JDdelphin

[/LIST]
How Awesome? So Awesome.

Persona 4 Arena

Blaz Blue

This. Important analysis being done here.

If you have a newsletter. I would subscribe.

Rhapsody

Banned
I want to play more UNIEL again. I should learn a better character on the side though. Trying Yuzuriha, but neutral game is going to take some time getting used to. Might just learn more Hyde too.

vocab

Dunno why you guys giving GB shit. HNK is fucking amazing. Some of you guys like Marvel and it's way more busted and random. It's easily in my top 5 for best fighting games. Who cares if people label it as a shit game. People play xrd. Now that game is fucking shit
looks good though

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
[/LIST]
How Awesome? So Awesome.

Persona 4 Arena

Blaz Blue

uniel?

Dunno why you guys giving GB shit. HNK is fucking amazing. Some of you guys like Marvel and it's way more busted and random. It's easily in my top 5 for best fighting games. Who cares if people label it as a shit game. People play xrd. Now that game is fucking shit
looks good though

Why do you think so?

Piccoro

Guys, GUYS! How can we make a petition for Sega/ASW to release the PS2 HnK on the PS store. I could even write it in Japanese... Who's with me?

Kalamari

Haha, the "your game is shit" discussions always amuse me. Mostly because the reasons are so off-the-wall sometimes.

alstein

Haha, the "your game is shit" discussions always amuse me. Mostly because the reasons are so off-the-wall sometimes.

Never talk shit about a man's fighting game or waifu.

That said, my top 5 of fighting game music has 0 Arcsys games.

SamSho I, FFSP, SFA2, Groove On Fight, Skullgirls

You don't even play the game to appreciate the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-dBMhAOx4I

This alone is better than almost everything in Xrd
Listening to Imperial Code right now - sucked until 0:50, then decent but unmemorable guitar.

You are right that I don't play to appreciate the music. That's why it's all the more noteworthy when a game succeeds in making an impression on me. P4A uses a lot of P4's soundtrack, which is fantastic, but a lot of it just doesn't fit well for fighting games. I get pumped just starting Xrd up because it has so much good menu music. GGXXAC just had better character themes all around.

The song you linked sucks. It's downright annoying. BB still has the Tager theme, which outshines anything in the other games I linked, but Tager's theme can't save the whole soundtrack.

Then again, I think Indestructible is one of the best songs in FG history.

Rhapsody

Banned
I tried giving Xrd's OST more of a listen to. Not bad, but not as catchy as the others. BBCP's great. The only thing I have an issue with it is that I don't like all the remixes as much as the original, but regardless I think they're good.

shaowebb

Lol at everything in the past 2 pages.

Also MKX Jason Vorhees is ridiculous.

Universal armor, grabs, dashup clothesline, armored wakeups, and a neat low overhead string.

Nice starting point...then Slasher gives you projectiles/range and good pokes, Unstoppable gives you damage buffs/self healing/and resurrection upon death at meter cost, and finally Relentless that lets you teleport and mess up their inputs.

Relentless and Unstoppable look the best. Unstoppable has the negative of not carrying over meter between rounds but with his heal and damage buff in place with his already good foundation of armor he should be able to go ham and get rewarded enough for it to be great. Relentless though...teleporting command grabs with abusable armor and the ability to mess up your inputs? NEW MAIN.

CPS2

I kinda hope gootecks and mike ross stick with mkx and get better at it. Its damn hilarious seeing their whole approach so far and getting smashed online.

pixelish

I kinda hope gootecks and mike ross stick with mkx and get better at it. Its damn hilarious seeing their whole approach so far and getting smashed online.
i think aris will be in the next mkx excellent adventures. he was talking about doing something with gootecks and mike in his stream a while back.

edit: oh wait, he just mentioned on stream that he played sf4 with the both of them.

vulva

Do you people listen to music that isn't some form of soundtrack? I never notice soundtracks to games in the slightest but actively listen to tons of bands/artists. I'm wondering how often people who really care about soundtracks and take note of them actively listen to/seek out music independent of soundtracks

pixelish

Do you people listen to music that isn't some form of soundtrack? I never notice soundtracks to games in the slightest but actively listen to tons of bands/artists. I'm wondering how often people who really care about soundtracks and take note of them actively listen to/seek out music independent of soundtracks

i usually just turn off the music volume and play my own music.
it's torture to listen to training stage music for hours during training mode.

I wouldn't say I care a lot about this stuff. It's rare that a soundtrack catches my attention. I mostly listen to the only rock station in my city (lol @ 10 country stations) while driving around. Otherwise, I don't listen to music.

Kimosabae

Banned

This post would make more sense to me if it were the converse: "Do you people listen to music that IS some form of soundtrack?". Because, generally, I tend to feel that people listen to bands/artists more than soundtracks to games/movies.

Unless you somehow felt the demographics here would be different.

To answer your question: i hardly ever listen to soundtracks. I tend to not respect them as much. but I know that's stupid.

vulva

This post would make more sense to me if it were the converse: "Do you people listen to music that IS some form of soundtrack?". Because, generally, I tend to feel that people listen to bands/artists more than soundtracks to games/movies.

Unless you somehow felt the demographics here would be different.

To answer your question: i hardly ever listen to soundtracks. I tend to not respect them as much. but I know that's stupid.
On a gaming forum thread where people are discussing soundtracks at the moment your question would seem mighty stupid. Of course the people discussing favourite soundtracks listen to soundtracks

Top Bottom