• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 9 PS4 announced

Neith

Banned
FF8 needs a full remake to unsuck-ify itself.

Indeed, even 7 is dated as hell. These games are old people. They don't hold up in the slightest bit IMO except for their conceptual designs.

But hey the game is there. Big headstart on that remake.

Not sure about 9. Those backgrounds are pretty fucking iffy to me.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
So if I activate any of the boosters in the config, are all trophies locked?

Seems that way. You can still use the ones in the pause menu, Battle Assistance, 9999 damage, High Speed, and Safe Travel though. So getting Excalibur 2 should be pretty easy with all of those.

I really like the way these cheats work. Still really easy to activate, but you won't ever do it by accident since you need to pause first.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
3 hours in and still hammering away at jump rope. I get to 200 almost every time, and to 300 maybe 1/3 of the time. 200 - 300 requires so much concentration though I either mess up the transition at 300, or my heart's beating so hard I can't steady my rhythm afterwards and lose before 350. If I can just steady myself there I'll win, barring bullshit like dropped presses.

Maybe I'm just getting old. I got 1000 here on both of my previous playthroughs within 20 minutes. Need to stop now though.

Triz

I have a sealed copy of IX somewhere in my belongings, bought long after I declared this my favorite FF. And I just bought this digital copy...

Digital re-releases devaluing collectors items since forever.

Audette

Music loop from FFVII is in this game too? No sale. Fuck off Square.

This also killed any chance of me doing a full run of the PS4 release of FF7. I bought it but it drove me mad when I realized the music was doing that. I can’t believe this release does it too. I will wait in case of a fix.

Eylos

Banned
Im so used to this this music loop thing, i dont even care in jrpgs, i think ff7 was one of the First jrpgs to have this feature or not?

Eusis

I think the main aging issues were the digital control in FFVII (a problem that's been extended to FFIX now what the fuck SE) and battle pacing along with some navigation foibles (well, and perhaps typical JRPG stuff that was merely tolerated by those who didn't normally like them?) But those were kind of issues then anyway, I remember kind of getting burnt out playing FFIX largely because of the slow battles, which makes it kind of awkward to have to choose between the fast forward of the port and the analog controls of the original.

Ugh, seriously, I would've considered the PS4 version if it had analog control put in, at least on a good sale, but that, and a music issue that wasn't on PC, and the audacity to charge $20 when it's a $10 PS Classic? That just makes me angrier that Sony didn't bother to get BC with the Classic lines in favor of doing HD/trophy updates to PS2 games that have kept the library at a pathetic size and doing nothing at all with PS1 games. I half wonder if it's to let SE do this sort of shit and keep us dipping in again for FF. Which might work if the effort wasn't so shoddy.

How the heck do you get Vivi to win the Festival of the Hunt
I never got this far before. SHAME ON ME

Edit: trying out a method from GameFAQs lol

Edit2: Wooo got the trophy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, cool. I never finished this back in the day. Really loved the aesthetic.

Edit: oh wait, it's out now?!

Looks like...7 "8" 9

raw

Wazzy

Banned
I almost considered purchasing but that's just too expensive for me. I'll hold off until it goes down in price.
I don't think they release sales figures for ps1 classics?
They release which ps1 classics are in the top 10 sales but the poster isn't even correct. VII and VIII released first and VIII was in the top 10 quite frequently when released and continues to be whenever Final Fantasy games have sales. When IX released it makes sense it would be above VIII since it was released much later and is not evidence of it selling more.

Audioboxer

Is there any ps+ discount on this game?

Yeah, but the price is a joke. I'm going to wait for a flash sale. When this announcement was rumoured last 72 hours I thought it would be a 2018 release anyway, not one of those now ready for download.

The mobile UI is a joke too. Square giving zero fucks about a release which will make them a small fortune. They should have reworked some basic stuff to make the PS4 version the definitive release.

I'm not paying more for this than I did FF7. It doesn't deserve it and I can hold off a while longer to replay a classic FF game.

FinalAres

They release which are in the top 10 sales but the poster isn't even correct. VII and VIII released first and VIII was in the top 10 quite frequently when released and continues to be whenever Final Fantasy games have sales. When IX released it makes sense it would be above VIII since it was released much later and is not evidence of it selling more.

Yeah VIII is much more popular than people give it credit for. Look at steamspy if you want an indication of relative popularity of VII, VIII and IX. Yes VIII has been out longer, but still.

FF9 on steam 340,000
FF8 on steam 680,000

Indeed, even 7 is dated as hell. These games are old people. They don't hold up in the slightest bit IMO except for their conceptual designs.

I played 7 for the first time a couple of years ago and it was great. While I can't say I'm a fan of the modern FF style used for the remake.

kiyomi

I played FF7 for the first time in 2014 and I thought it played just fine. In fact, I'd call it enjoyable and refreshing compared to the watered down combat we get these days.

I played 7 for the first time a couple of years ago and it was great. While I can't say I'm a fan of the modern FF style used for the remake.

Yup, this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Well its a remake made in modern technology, that is bound to happen for some people anyway. But for those of us who have been waiting for that since the tech demo, its perfectly fine

NeoCross

Fuck SE for skipping VIII and going straight to IX.

Unless they're doing this because they can't show their full FFVIII remake yet I'll allow it for now.

Scotia

Banned
Just started disc two and I'm loving how much I'm being reminded how great this game is.

On the topic of VIII, I'd much rather have a port similar to this one on PS4 than a remake.

Lightning

Banned
Has the Thunder Slash glitch been fixed? I think for memory that was the ability in the original with Steiner where the attack always missed.

First time playing. Only half an hour in.

I'm in love. It's like playing a JRPG for the first time again. There's a truly magical feeling to this game.

Why on earth did I take so long to get round to this.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah VIII is much more popular than people give it credit for. Look at steamspy if you want an indication of relative popularity of VII, VIII and IX. Yes VIII has been out longer, but still.

FF9 on steam 340,000
FF8 on steam 680,000

FF9 was released a bit late in the PS1 lifecycle and FF8 enjoyed a lot of marketing, even being included on those Pizza Hut demo discs. I know a lot of other kids who bought FF8 just because they saw it there, and they weren't really "gamers" or RPG enthusiasts.

It's no surprise that FF8 still has a larger residual audience.

Fox1304

Torn between finally finishing it on Vita where I already have bought it, and buying this version (mostly for the speed up option) to finally end it.

sotojuan

Is it me or is the only FF game that Square Enix has treated fairly IV? Not only are there a number of visually different releases, but none are bugged or objectively bad.

AdamT

I have played the jump rope mini game on 5 consoles and multiple TVs since the game was released and I STILL cannot beat the damn thing.

Screw the trophies, I'm going to enjoy the game at a leisurely pace and not and worry about being time-gated or irritated by that stuff. That's what killed my last play through.

Top Bottom