• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Agito (iOS/Android) announced [Tabata Producing, Details In OP]

Aru

F2P with micro-transactions wouldn't be a problem if they offered a way to buy the chapters and play as much as we want. With paying for "lives" as an alternate way of playing the game.
But having only the latter is bad, really bad.

But I hope they offer gamepad controls on iOS 7. That's the main selling point for me.

Toth

If this means we get Type-0 and it receives a far greater audience than PSP, then I will accept it. I just hope the game is as similar to Type-0 as possible.

zashga

Ew. More depressing than this game is the fact that people apparently support this exploitative F2P model. I mean, it must be big money, right? Big name publishers wouldn't spend so much time, money, and goodwill on some stupid fad... right?

Wouldn't it be twisted if THIS is the version the West gets. "Oh, the full PSP game, no, that's never being released over in the West. Be happy with the F2P version!!!".

Road

I"ll reserve judgment.

From the traditionally horrible leak picture quality, at least it doesn't seem to look like the vomit FFV iOS is.

Okay this isn't a prequel or a sequel to Type-0. It's definitely a reimagining. Another version of the same cycle in Type-0? The main characters from Type-0 are all in the game, along with new characters. The player is a student you can customize.

- There's a job system
- There's a mission system

So far so good?

- The game is divided into story chapters you can replay.
- They plan on releasing a new chapter every 2 weeks.

Still good? Sounds like a real game on mobiles! Whoa!

- Within those 2 weeks, 10 days will be for Solo Play where each player takes on their own missions, while 4 days are for Team Play where players work together to beat bosses.

Sounds like good social fun! What's the catch?!

- The game is Free2Play.
- There will be Energy used up when you do missions, which can be replenished via microtransaction items. You can also pay to continue if you fail a mission, and so on.

I LOVE JAPAN! <3 <3 <3

Edit: Damnit Ryouga I was typing up my masterpiece!!! >_<

I guess I didn't have to hold my judgment for long...

Up your ass, SE.

Yeah, there's not a snowball's chance in hell we're getting this localized...

So much for the Type-1, Type-2 series...guess that idea got canned. :/

Okay this isn't a prequel or a sequel to Type-0. It's definitely a reimagining. Another version of the same cycle in Type-0? The main characters from Type-0 are all in the game, along with new characters. The player is a student you can customize.

- There's a job system
- There's a mission system

So far so good?

- The game is divided into story chapters you can replay.
- They plan on releasing a new chapter every 2 weeks.

Still good? Sounds like a real game on mobiles! Whoa!

- Within those 2 weeks, 10 days will be for Solo Play where each player takes on their own missions, while 4 days are for Team Play where players work together to beat bosses.

Sounds like good social fun! What's the catch?!

- The game is Free2Play.
- There will be Energy used up when you do missions, which can be replenished via microtransaction items. You can also pay to continue if you fail a mission, and so on.

I LOVE JAPAN! <3 <3 <3

Edit: Damnit Ryouga I was typing up my masterpiece!!! >_<

It dosn't hurt anymore

It dosn't hurt anymore

It dosn't hurt anymore

It dosn't hurt anymore

SiHZbRQ.gif

Eusis

Makes me wish the part of the brain that accepts these F2P scehemes would just shut down in everyone. I half expect it'd be for the better of the human race period anyway, not just preventing an absolutely shitty situation from unfolding with gaming.

A PS Mobile release would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath... Some kind of Type-0 remake for the 3DS or Vita with the features of this game added would be nice though. But again...it's SE.

PsionBolt

And this is why people don't like mobile games.

This is one of those classic one-liners that GAF is known for. If all the info had been there at the start of the topic, it would have been a perfect first reply.

There's also a "decision" system in the game where the story changes based on the decisions made, but it seems that since this is a social mobile game, the decisions are made based on player polling results. Lol! I love this!

On the other hand... I am actually legitimately super interested in this idea. I mean, I know that they're going to fail at it somehow, but that idea - a serial game with player-created plot - is actually a really, really cool idea. Seriously interesting.

Takao

Banned
smh at the amount of sites reporting this is a port of Type-0, and using that game's name in their titles for clicks

video game journalism strikes again

MechaX

ffs SE..what's wrong with you?

This is why this Mobile/F2P approach worries me. The likes of Namco, SE, and Capcom aren't looking at it from the perspective of "what are the real strengths of mobile gaming at a fundamental game mechanic level as opposed to how we're doing things now?" Instead, and this is not entirely unexpected, they look at it strictly from a business angle (in other words, "how can we best fuck over the consumer with needless microtransactions and shitty F2P schemes).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It seems to still be action based, just like Type-0, except with giant virtual buttons.

Depends on what you mean by action. In Type 0 you could freely move and attack. Ergo. No turn based system at all and no waiting on anything.

B.O.O.M

This is why this Mobile/F2P approach worries me. The likes of Namco, SE, and Capcom aren't looking at it from the perspective of "what are the real strengths of mobile gaming at a fundamental game mechanic level as opposed to how we're doing things now?" Instead, and this is not entirely unexpected, they look at it strictly from a business angle (in other words, "how can we best fuck over the consumer with needless microtransactions and shitty F2P schemes).

Yep..TGS will be fun

and by fun I actually mean depressing

SE has fallen so far that 90% of their news/reveals are being met with pessimism or indifference.

So they started out making a mobile card game, then beefed it up into something that actually matters on PSP, and are now neutering it again as a new mobile release? Jesus SE, just freaking throw the PSP version at least on PSN here in the west. That's all we ask!

Yup. That and "let's just slap our tentpole franchise name on a piece of shit cash-grab mobile title." Until these practices are done away with (which I don't see happening anytime soon) mobile "gaming" will never be a serious, viable platform.

Goli

Depends on what you mean by action. In Type 0 you could freely move and attack. Ergo. No turn based system at all and no waiting on anything.

But Agito doesn't seem to be turn based, from what Famitsu shows the ACT gauge is what you spend to go on missions and kill monsters and such, but when you're actually in a mission there's no meters or anything. The battle HUD shows commands lined up on the lower part in a similar way that TWEWY did with its pins, and your party's HP bars on the lower left side, there's no meters or anything (unless the mission's timed). If you die, you gotta spend ACT gauge points to do ti again, in usual F2P shenanigans, probably.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
But Agito doesn't seem to be turn based, from what Famitsu shows the ACT gauge is what you spend to go on missions and kill monsters and such, but when you're actually in a mission there's no meters or anything. The battle HUD shows commands lined up on the lower part in a similar way that TWEWY did with its pins, and your party's HP bars on the lower left side, there's no meters or anything (unless the mission's timed). If you die, you gotta spend ACT gauge points to do ti again, in usual F2P shenanigans, probably.

Famitsu did not address actual gameplay mechanics.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's what you can see from the screens. And there is some talk of gameplay mechanics, I have the magazine here right on my iPad.

What I mean is how battles play out. We need to see it in motion to get better understanding of what you actually do.

kunonabi

Ew. More depressing than this game is the fact that people apparently support this exploitative F2P model. I mean, it must be big money, right? Big name publishers wouldn't spend so much time, money, and goodwill on some stupid fad... right?

yeah, I don't really get it. It's essentially like playing at an arcade except your playing time is no longer determined by your skill and the games look and play like crap. At least at an arcade you might be able find a free credit in one of the machines while you wait.

Top Bottom