• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Agito (iOS/Android) announced [Tabata Producing, Details In OP]

duckroll

I can't even figure out if you're human or some AI super computer made in Japan to spread infectious news and ideals to the Western world :(

Need some time to think.

I'm sorry then. For the sake of our friendship, I will never make or post in a Square Enix thread again! >_<

HeelPower

NovaCrystalis said:
The base game will be free of charge, and players will be able to create their own character to participate in missions throughout the world of Oriense. Although the game is F2P, players can pay real money for items to recover energy points expended by taking on these missions as well as revive after mission failures and other gacha items. By deepening your relationship with certain characters, they&#8217;ll appear to help you at various points along the way.

This is absolutely awful..obviously not bothering with this trash.

Shengar

Watch the iOS version utilize Apple's new controller APIs and turn out to be the superior Type-0 experience.

Then in the in-store page they showed "requires controller to be played". Do you really think they would make that happened? Alienating potential (casual) customer that doesn't care about buying controller for their iOS game? These big publisher, they do not chase core gamer like us. What they chase is Angry Birds market and for that they will tailored their game for every, latest, smartphone interface out there regardless of controller support.

CorvoSol

Besides shitty controls :)

Especially touch controls with virtual analogs n crap. Ugh

This is what I'm not at all getting. Type-0 was rough with 1 analogue stick that responded well to my thumb. How will this game work with an analogue that isn't, mounted in the screen itself, and poor responses?

I mean, forgive me for thinking Square Enix is capable or competent or human anymore, but FFD's analogue and touch controls are not what I would call "stellar" and that game is quite a bit slower and more forgiving than Type-0 was.

Varth

Well, it's good, no? If it helps bring back interest in the original, we might be a step closer to getting a translated, hopefully Vita version. Better that letting the game rot with no real hope.

Glass Rebel

This fucking company.

Here you have a platform that would be perfect to play Type-0 on (Vita) and another which could easily handle a port (3DS) and what do they do? This.
tLUNliL.png

Nerokis

This does not sound like FF Type-0.

I haven't seen much of Type-0 in two years since I don't like crying, but I'm pretty sure it was an action RPG where one of the main complaints were camera controls. Adapting that to a touch-only device would be a task.

Ah. I've had the wrong impression of Type-0 this entire time, then. I had no clue it was an action RPG... Hmm.

Thanks for the correction.

Parmenide

Today i read about a SC FTP, a mobile Tales of with microtransactions and now a mobile FF.
Japanese gaming is slowly dying.

Another kick in the balls to those that made them. Lovely. FFXV is absolutely the last chance I am giving them. If the game is melodramatic game of hop scotch like FFXII, I am finished with SE games.

Nibel

At first my blood circulation froze, but then I read the OP

I think it has some fun little ideas and we've got to see the results of that, but I'd still prefer the true Type-0 on a dedicated gaming machine

Dark_castle

Another kick in the balls to those that made them. Lovely. FFXV is absolutely the last chance I am giving them. If the game is melodramatic game of hop scotch like FFXII, I am finished with SE games.

You meant to say FFXIII, haven't you? FFXII is far from being a melodrama.

So... eventually this'll just be ported to 3DS/Vita as a complete package, right? After the real Type-0 shows up, I mean. Right, Square? Right...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So, I guess this is more of a spin-off. I don't see why it would retcon any of the Type-0 events, and if you "create your own character", I assume it won't actually retell Type-0's story. I find it odd they use the 'Agito' name on something that may not be that big a deal. I mean, they recently updated the Type-0 2 trademark, didn't they?

They want to build up the fanbase on the ios before they release the sequel on it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If i am SE, i will tell everyone to buy it if they want type 0 to see a western release on the vita/psp

Bwahahaha! What a fucking joke. No one was asking for them to take Type-0 mobile!

Ah well, I'll take what little solace there is to be taken from the fact that 3DS port beggars am cry if nothing else :(

kurahador

So basically, they got leftover assets from Agito on mobile that was cancelled and decides to finish making it? Urghhh...

I guess when Tabata said he wants FFXV to be highest acclaim and sold, it's actually a signal for help.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just... fuck off, Square.

Waiting 3 years for a finished PSP game is just... what happened to you. Now hobbyists have to come in and translate this shit as if it were some obscure franchise never released on western shores.

Did some serial killer target professional Japanese-to-English translators or something and kill off both Square and Sega's entire departments?

Asd202

Ha! This is what the talked about in there recent annual report.

If they don't announce Type-0 localization now, SE is dead to me.

You think they will announce localization now? It's impossible unless type-0 changes platform and by going with this news I don't think there intrested.

Vashetti

Banned
They sureeee love to please their fans!

Watch the Japanese audience lap this up, making them more likely to make iOS games.

Rixa

Pay to win? Or is there slightest chance that you actually could freely play til end in decent time?

Game over, this sucks.

scarlet

Okay this isn't a prequel or a sequel to Type-0. It's definitely a reimagining. Another version of the same cycle in Type-0? The main characters from Type-0 are all in the game, along with new characters. The player is a student you can customize.

- There's a job system
- There's a mission system

So far so good?

- The game is divided into story chapters you can replay.
- They plan on releasing a new chapter every 2 weeks.

Still good? Sounds like a real game on mobiles! Whoa!

- Within those 2 weeks, 10 days will be for Solo Play where each player takes on their own missions, while 4 days are for Team Play where players work together to beat bosses.

Sounds like good social fun! What's the catch?!

- The game is Free2Play.
- There will be Energy used up when you do missions, which can be replenished via microtransaction items. You can also pay to continue if you fail a mission, and so on.

I LOVE JAPAN! <3 <3 <3

Edit: Damnit Ryouga I was typing up my masterpiece!!! >_<

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:'(

You think they will announce localization now? It's impossible unless type-0 changes platform and by going with this news I don't think there intrested.
Adam Boyes mentioned that he has heard the demand for Type-0 from fans on IGN. Hopefully, Sony can use their newly formed third party relations team to localize Type-0.
I'd rather trust Sony than SE.

Once 2DS and Pokemon push 3DS sales outside Japan Square-Enix will port Type 0 to it and localise that version.

Hahaha ._.

Amatsu

Neo Member
:/

When I pay money to publishers, I'm paying for gameplay (single or multi) and/or narrative. If they want to use the word "experience" great... that's the "experience" I think is worth my money.

I don't look into buying a game thinking "F2P nickel and diming??? Hot DAYUM! Sign me up!!!!"

What a letdown. I'm not interested in pay to continue, arbitrary time limits, use of energy to attempt to force microtransactions. I'm not paying for a game at that point and I always feel like I took nothing of value away after having convinced myself "maybe this time it'll be fun..." and attempting play of any f2p games. Just feels like a sleazy, insipid way to make cash.

Maybe this industry left me behind a long time ago :(

sajj316

I thought Square would be in a better place after Wada left. It's like they do the exact 180 of fan demand. Damn you Square!!

Prelude.

Watch the iOS version utilize Apple's new controller APIs and turn out to be the superior Type-0 experience.
You know that you can use a controller with Android since like *insert really old Android version here because I can't remember*, right?

tbm24

I thought Square would be in a better place after Wada left. It's like they do the exact 180 of fan demand. Damn you Square!!

Maybe their fans in japan would like it? Or do those fans simply not count? I can understand people being upset but lets not pretend this is a bad business decision to make a mobile game of this kind.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why are we heading in this direction? ;_;

I get that they really didn't have a great platform to put this on for the sales they want, but not like this S-E. Not like this.

New(Or old) details courtesy of Gematsu

They also translated Interview of Tabata taken by Famitsu
Gematsu said:
Interview

Weekly Famitsu spoke to Hajime Tabata. Here are some bullets:

* We wanted to draw up a story where the main Type-0 characters follow a different fate. * With Type-0 you could personally experience the story together live with other players, and now we&#8217;re incorporating that with what I wanted to do in the past on smart phones.
* It&#8217;s a story that can be played repeatedly in cycles, from life to death.
* You progress the story by chapter, and once it&#8217;s finished you can play it again from the beginning.
* The story will change depending on the votes gathered by a decision system.
* Plan on transmitting each chapter every two weeks.
* Within those two weeks, the first 10 days will be solo phase, then the last 4 days will be the team phase.
* You conduct the mission individually in solo play and then take on the boss in the team play phase.
* There is a job system, exclusive abilities will depend on the job.
* Even though play time varies, there are parts that you can play asynchronously together.
* The system isn&#8217;t really about growth, it&#8217;s a system you can follow along easily.
* You can purchase items that replenish power consumed during missions, as well as in game items, abilities, and pay to speed up the time to continue after a mission failure.
* Tabata says he wants players to download it, whether or not they are familiar with Type-0.
Gematsu said:
Characters

There is a new character named Myu Kagerohi (voiced Haruka Tomatsu). She is the cadet representative, standing on behalf of the cadets.

Characters from Final Fantasy Type-0 return and are separated by class.

• Ace: Class 0
  • Deuce: Class 4
  • Trey: Class 11
  • Cater: Class 10
  • Cinque: Class 3
  • Sice: Class 6
  • Seven: Class 7
  • Eight: Class 5
  • Nine: Class 2
  • Jack: Class 12
  • Queen: Class 1
  • King: Class 9