• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I know magazine scans aren't allowed but I just saw some better quality screenshots of Gladio's sister and Luna's brother. He looks like a more chiseled version of Sephiroth with shorter hair. His whole character just screams antagonist. Not a fan of the white coat he's wearing though. The armor underneath looks like it might be cool looking. He's pretty much wearing the same thing from Kingsglaive I believe. Which looks like a redesign of the original attire.

img_chara_ravus_full.jpg

Ravus-Nox-Kingslaive.jpg

I saw my first Distant Worlds today! It was everything I could have hoped for. Really an incredible experience. Anyone who gets the chance to go.. please go. It was awesome! Hope to go again sometime soon!

Falk

that puzzling face
That's not the latest thread though.

(it's probably only a matter of time for that one seriously you guys)

tbh Yuna and Lightning are the only characters in the franchise that are actually "heroines" in that the story revolves around them and they play a significant role. The rest are supporting cast and/or window dressing for better or for worse.

Her most important quality is her heritage where there's the optimistic idea of coexistance. Aside from kicking off the game's events, her main contribution is that she was going to be a weapon for the rebels because she could use magic but lol Espers. You could honestly remove Terra from the story and it wouldn't be much different imo.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd argue that Celes has more of an impact in the plot. Given that she played a hand in the Empire's rule, her "betrayal", the events on the Floating Island, and being the protagonist for the first portion of the ruined world. There's also the fact that you are required to use her for Kefka's Tower whereas the same could not really be said of Terra.

Saladinoo

I'm in Japan at the moment and keep seeing this display. This game is going to destrooooooy. Also got myself a cool little Kingslaive poster ;)

IMG_2098.jpg

Teknoman

You know. I kinda feel like the NA SNES Final Fantasy logos with the sword were better than the JP logos. Title screen wise anyway.

Fighting Spectral Keeper and Yunalesca without abusing aeons or overleveling can be pretty interesting.

Yeah, when I play FFX I make sure I only use aeons to deliver a final blow to bosses (to get those sweet sweet Overkill bonuses).

I'm totally fine with abusing *character* Overdrives, of course.

Seymour Flux's second and third forms are pretty much totally neutralized by Kimahri's Mighty Guard (seriously, the entire point of that boss fight is to teach you that Protect and Shell actually matter). Yunalesca's honestly not a hard boss at all as long as you have a good handle on swapping your characters in and out and as long as you don't bother to cure Zombie status on anyone (just revive them if they die) - if you know Megadeath is coming and stay prepared for it, you're fine, since she really can't do that much damage to you and her status effects are more irritating than thoroughly debilitating.

Spectral Keeper is honestly a good deal trickier than either of those if you're not abusing Aeons, and is generally a much more fun boss fight as a result (likewise, the Evrae fight is seriously fun and much more of an honest challenge). It deals a lot of basic multi-target attrition damage *and* you've got the mines to worry about - Spectral Keeper's great at keeping you on the defensive with its full set of tools, whereas Seymour Flux and Yunalesca really just have one big weapon at a time and it's simple to neutralize.

I have a feeling that Agni's Philosophy (the tech demo) was originally going to be Final Fantasy 16 but then they realized that Luminous was a bad engine and they thought it would be a better idea to push 15 before focusing on yet another project. Oh and the 7 remake probably took resources too.

To be honest though, Final Fantasy is large enough that they don't really need to release a new numbered entry every few years. I think they should focus on one numbered entry per gen (two if you want to count the inevitable next MMO). A lot of ground is pretty much covered by remasters, remakes, and spinoffs that it makes the need for a new numbered entry less necessary especially since Sqenix seems to be confused as to where to take the series.

The rumor is that they'll greenlight 16 if 15 does well.

Between FFXV, FFXV DLC, KH3, and FFVIIR taking up all the oxygen right now, I wouldn't be surprised if scenario, systems design, and preliminary character/environment art design work were well under way for FFXVI but zero or next to zero asset work (and I'd bet it hasn't even been touched by Visual Works yet).

Bladenic

I agree with Nomura on icon Yuna. I prefer Aerith to Tifa and Lightning is mostly trash. Dagger is way better. Actually Vanille from the 13 series is more interesting than Lightning.

Teknoman

Yeah, i'm thinking if they could've fit the dragoon silhouette into the title, it would been much better than the crystal.

On FFX, I usually try to complete all side quests in any FF game I play, or at least the ones that net nice boss challenges / give you an edge on the final boss...but some of these just seem kinda bothersome to be honest. I do want to wrap up Omega Ruins before beating the game, but whew, that trek down with like one save spot.

Is there a point of no return in the final area?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah, i'm thinking if they could've fit the dragoon silhouette into the title, it would been much better than the crystal.

On FFX, I usually try to complete all side quests in any FF game I play, or at least the ones that net nice boss challenges / give you an edge on the final boss...but some of these just seem kinda bothersome to be honest. I do want to wrap up Omega Ruins before beating the game, but whew, that trek down with like one save spot.

Is there a point of no return in the final area?

For FFX you'll just want to do a few side quests. Namely the extra 3 Aeons and Omega Ruins. Those are pretty fun and don't make you super overpowered for the final boss (although if you have Yuna's ultimate weapon which is easy to get you can just cast Ultima on errything). The whole "capture 10 of every single enemy" shit is for the birds.

Teknoman

For FFX you'll just want to do a few side quests. Namely the extra 3 Aeons and Omega Ruins. Those are pretty fun and don't make you super overpowered for the final boss (although if you have Yuna's ultimate weapon which is easy to get you can just cast Ultima on errything). The whole "capture 10 of every single enemy" shit is for the birds.

Cool, i've got Yojimbo, going after Anima now. Just didnt want what happened in FFVII to happen to me here lol (W-Summon + Knights of the Round = no chance).

Sub_Level

Cool, i've got Yojimbo, going after Anima now. Just didnt want what happened in FFVII to happen to me here lol (W-Summon + Knights of the Round = no chance).

Depending on if you let Yuna learn Lulu magic and gave her Doublecast, that can still happen >_>

In fact, skip all the random encounters in Omega Ruins using Tidus' Flee if you think you might be overlevelled. It will make Omega Weapon more fun to fight. He's a story-level boss despite being hidden. Not a super level post-game boss like Ozma or Ruby/Emerald Weapon.

Voror

Finally beat V and VI. V I had started from scratch while I'd paused with VI for some reason
I think because I couldn't figure out how to get the fish to save Cid or something
, which may have not been the best idea since I sort of had forgotten a lot of stuff to be honest. That one may be worth trying to go through again from scratch without pausing.

Still, really enjoyed both!

Now I think I'll finally do what I've talked about wanting to do for ages and go through the VII,VIII, IX, and X properly. By that, I mean actually do everything since with all of them I tended to stay on the critical path and skipped things like the Golden Saucer, Triple Triad, Blitzball, etc. Also didn't understand half of VIII's systems like the level scaling or junctioning.

So I'm going to start VII on the PS4 today. I think I'll utilize the No Encounters and High Speed cheats to make it go a bit faster. Sort of wish we'd gotten the HD versions of VIII and IX as well, but having them portable on Vita along with X is something I really like.

Granted, I doubt I'll get through them all before XV comes out, at which point I'll probably pause the others until I get through that.

Still, it should be fun to experience these games fully in a way my 10-11 year old self couldn't.

And on a side note, I found out that the art books for FFXIV and Heavensward actually got US releases, though they seem to only be on the SE store. Considering picking them up as, while I don't play XIV anymore, I did like the art style and the previews look gorgeous.

Just worried since I could have sworn I'd heard someone state SE uses that Digital River service which can screw up orders. Anyone know for sure?

Sub_Level

You sure you wanna do everything in FFX? You can do all the major sidequests and optional bosses in VII, VIII, and IX in the time it takes you to do that shit in X. X is a nightmare of fuck.

ElFphtE.jpg

Voror

You sure you wanna do everything in FFX? You can do all the major sidequests and optional bosses in VII, VIII, and IX in the time it takes you to do that shit in X. X is a nightmare of fuck.

Honestly I don't know. I don't quite remember all there was to do in X. I know getting some of the ultimate weapons is a pain like the lightning strikes, races with absurd time conditions, or playing a lot of blitzball if that's what you mean.

Sub_Level

I'm talking monster arena and blitzball, yea. Capture 10 of every enemy. Then you actually need the stats to be able to defeat the powerful monster arena foes, much less the Dark Aeons. Whenever I go through FFX, I just do Omega Ruins and get the optional Aeons. Anything aside from that is going above and beyond the call of duty.

Although every FF fan should beat the chocobo racing at least once in their lifetime. Just to know the horror.

Voror

I'm talking monster arena and blitzball, yea. Capture 10 of every enemy. Then you actually need the stats to be able to defeat the powerful monster arena foes, much less the Dark Aeons. Whenever I go through FFX, I just do Omega Ruins and get the optional Aeons. Anything aside from that is going above and beyond the call of duty.

Although every FF fan should beat the chocobo racing at least once in their lifetime. Just to know the horror.

I don't even remember the monster arena and that does sound like a pain. The Dark Aeons were for the international edition, yes?

I get the feeling that's going to be really bothersome when I try for it.

Falk

that puzzling face
I Zanmato'd everything for my X/X-2 HD platinum.

Did it legit with the International version way back when. Paid my dues, etc.

Depending on if you let Yuna learn Lulu magic and gave her Doublecast, that can still happen >_>

In fact, skip all the random encounters in Omega Ruins using Tidus' Flee if you think you might be overlevelled. It will make Omega Weapon more fun to fight. He's a story-level boss despite being hidden. Not a super level post-game boss like Ozma or Ruby/Emerald Weapon.

I dunno about that; in the international version, at least, I'd say Omega is quite a bit more powerful than the final boss. Basically, make sure you can beat Omega Ruins enemies before beating him (and fight them while you're exploring) but don't do the fucking Tonberry trick yet or he won't be fun. Nothing is fun after that.
I Zanmato'd everything for my X/X-2 HD platinum.

Did it legit with the International version way back when. Paid my dues, etc.

Yeah, I only Zanmatoed Penance. Never beat it in the legit fashion because: wow that looks so boring to do.

I love love love the CTB but it ceases to be fun as soon as everyone's stats are through the roof, but part of that is because most of the optional bosses simply aren't designed well enough - they're things you can come at with a predetermined script rather than genuinely having to react to their turns and adjust your choices accordingly.

Fou-Lu

I just watched the FF7:Remake announcement again for the first time in a while and it hit me almost as hard as the first time. Fuck I want to be playing it.

Maybe I'll just play Crisis Core or something, anything Final Fantasy.

Voror

Currently about halfway or so I think through Disc One of FFVII on PS4. Been enjoying it so far and also been thinking how some of these events could be expanded upon or changed for the Remake.

Sort of got grindy and now have everyone's Level 3 Limits except Vincent and Cait Sith since I haven't met them yet. Been sparingly using God Mode though especially on bosses since I want those to be an actual challenge. About to go to the Golden Saucer for the first time.

Mediking

I can't believe there was a community thread this entire time.

Classic me.

Currently about halfway or so I think through Disc One of FFVII on PS4. Been enjoying it so far and also been thinking how some of these events could be expanded upon or changed for the Remake.

Sort of got grindy and now have everyone's Level 3 Limits except Vincent and Cait Sith since I haven't met them yet. Been sparingly using God Mode though especially on bosses since I want those to be an actual challenge. About to go to the Golden Saucer for the first time.

Okay this is a sign that I really go back to my copy of Final Fantasy 7 on Vita.....

Voror

The big reason why I haven't got back to FF7 is because I feel like I've been spoiled on so much. Then again... I really haven't been spoiled. I only know a few plot points.

There's actually tons of stuff that I'd completely forgotten till I got there. It's interesting coming to the parts of the plot I feel I know well or knowing where this is going to go.

It's also always interesting how the game morphs from one thing to another over time,though that's often been the case with this series.

It is kind of funny that when I picture voices in my head for the lines, I'm coming away with the TFS Abridged ones. Especially with President Shinra and Rufus.

I keep trying to imagine Beau Billingslea in the role since he appears to be reprising Barret from AC, but it's kind if weird. Barret is very bombastic whereas Beau always seemed to have a voice that was good for a cool customer though I know he can yell from remembering Jet.

Top Bottom