• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time announced (Wii/DS)

Swisslink

Uhm... I really don't understand what's going on XD
-> What's about The Chrystal Bearer?
-> Will the Game be released twice (for Wii and DS), or is it just a connectivity? xD
Perhaps it's the same as the Nintendo Channel, play the Game on de DS, if you buy the Wii version? oO
I don't think anybody would buy the Wii Version, if there's a DS version with a lower price xD

farnham

Banned
looks like a MMORPG title of some sort (probablz more like PSO)

Chrystal Bearers looked more like a ARPG take on the franchise

Gamekyo has an outline of the article:

- Play at the same time on the Wii and DS, thanks to Pollux Engine created by Square Enix.
- Players on the Wii and players on the Nintendo DS will be able to play online together.
- Different gameplay for the 2 versions (stylus or Wiimote).
- Story revolves around Charlotta and a mysterious crystal.
- You can transfer Mii characters you made to the DS version.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Swisslink said:
Uhm... I really don't understand what's going on XD
-> What's about The Chrystal Bearer?
-> Will the Game be released twice (for Wii and DS), or is it just a connectivity? xD
Perhaps it's the same as the Nintendo Channel, play the Game on de DS, if you buy the Wii version? oO
I don't think anybody would buy the Wii Version, if there's a DS version with a lower price xD
Maybe only the Wii Version would have WFC, and the DS only has local multiplayer. Or you could buy the Wii Version for the nicer graphics.

RpgN

jj984jj said:
You sure? To me the bottom right one looks like it's showing you a Mii on the DS version.

The picture above it is definitely the wii version. I assume since the lower 2 aren't mentioned which version they are they would be from the wii version too, but I can't be sure about the mii pic. It does look very ds like.

batbeg

Anyone know who the artist is (Yasuhiko Izumisawa?). I love Itahana's art for the series, and am sad to not see it here (though I could take this as the awesome hint that he is too busy directing Crystal Bearers).

PolyGone

Banned
Looking at the scan, it appears to be a DS game that uses what is called the "Pollux Engine" (cross-platform engine) to run on your television through the Wii. You can see both screens (lined up sort of horizontally) on the Wii (tv screen). And the other Wii screens look exactly like the DS version only with some Mii's thrown in (low-poly character models and environments).

This leads me to believe it is a DS game with Wii connectivity, not stand-alone titles for both systems. Also, only one price is listed.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

batbeg

PolyGone said:
Looking at the scan, it appears to be a DS game that uses what is called the "Pollux Engine" (cross-platform engine) to run on your television through the Wii. You can see both screens (lined up sort of horizontally) on the Wii (tv screen). And the other Wii screens look exactly like the DS version only with some Mii's thrown in (low-poly character models and environments).

This leads me to believe it is a DS game with Wii connectivity, not stand-alone titles for both systems. Also, only one price is listed.

This not only makes sense, it also sounds kind of stupid. Hopefully it's cooler than it sounds if this is the case (not the graphics part, so much, but the two screens being jammed onto one).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Any one heard of the Pollux Engine before? Apperntly, thats what this is running, and it has the subtitle "Cross Platform System". Would love to see more of this type of thing in the future (And a speedy translation of the game, but thats anther matter)

Swisslink

Defuser said:
Why care whether it's Crystal bearers or not? You're getting another FFCC game.

Because "Crystal Bearers" wasn't mentioned for years now... And now there's another FFCC announced. So I'm just worried about CB to be cancelled.

PolyGone

Banned
batbeg said:
This not only makes sense, it also sounds kind of stupid. Hopefully it's cooler than it sounds if this is the case (not the graphics part, so much, but the two screens being jammed onto one).

well, the menu screen is 75% the size of the action screen, so you get more of the actual play area, but it still looks like a GBA player / Super Gameboy style of picture-in-picture

jj984jj

PolyGone said:

I think there's only 1 Wii screen on the scan, the one the tiny one they labeled right next to the DS version. I wish they labeled them all to avoid confusion. :S

farnham

Banned
MiketheBSG said:
Gamekyo has an outline of the article:

- Play at the same time on the Wii and DS, thanks to Pollux Engine created by Square Enix.
- Players on the Wii and players on the Nintendo DS will be able to play online together.
- Different gameplay for the 2 versions (stylus or Wiimote).
- Story revolves around Charlotta and a mysterious crystal.
- You can transfer Mii characters you made to the DS version.
NICE this is what i wanted for Connectivity

Hah hah I'm real excited for this and at the same time worried about the condition of Crystal Bearers. I knew they were holding some info back on Crystal Chronicles most likely for the Nintendo event (My Life as a King was unveiled during Nintendo's last press conference) but I certainly wasn't expecting a new game.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

RpgN

batbeg said:
Anyone know who the artist is (Yasuhiko Izumisawa?). I love Itahana's art for the series, and am sad to not see it here (though I could take this as the awesome hint that he is too busy directing Crystal Bearers).

Yeah, it's Yusuhiko Izumisawa alright. At least he's listed as the character designer.

I have read about the engine used to play the wii and ds at the same time. But I thought I was wrong because the idea sounds so weird...

PolyGone

Banned
jj984jj said:
I think there's only 1 Wii screen on the scan, the one the tiny one they labeled right next to the Wii version. I wish they labeled them all to avoid confusion. :S

and that screen looks (nearly) identical to the DS one, which is why I think its just a DS game that has Wii connectivity. I don't think even S-E has the balls to try and sell a DS title simply ported to the Wii.

MadFuzzy

PolyGone said:
well, the menu screen is 75% the size of the action screen, so you get more of the actual play area, but it still looks like a GBA player / Super Gameboy style of picture-in-picture

The Wii version really does look like the DS one running under emulation on the Wii. How strange.

jj984jj

PolyGone said:
and that screen looks identical to the DS one, which is why I think its just a DS game that has Wii connectivity. I don't think even S-E has the balls to try and sell a DS title simply ported to the Wii.
I think what you're saying is more likely, especially with both screens being side by side like that on the Wii, but that screen is way too small to judge graphical quality from. If I'm right and that's the only Wii screen on the scan, we're going to have to wait to see if there is a Wii version or not.

PolyGone said:
More importantly are the ramifications for the Pollux Engine concerning Dragon Quest 9 :eek:
WHAT?!? :O

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PolyGone said:
More importantly are the ramifications for the Pollux Engine concerning Dragon Quest 9 :eek:
:O Now that is news I like to hear... and DQ9 is coming out only 2 months later :D

PolyGone

Banned
Drkirby said:
:O Now that is news I like to hear... and DQ9 is coming out only 2 months later :D

It hasn't been confirmed or anything, I'm just speculating. But it would make sense to include this kind of feature on a big title like that if they are implementing it for a FF:CC title.

Father_Brain said:
Actually, I think her wording was "FFCC is not dead," not "Crystal Bearers is not dead." It's still possible that FFCC:TCB has been canceled, though maybe it just no longer has the FFCC branding.

No, she said: "Crystal Bearers not dead" :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PolyGone said:
It hasn't been confirmed or anything, I'm just speculating. But it would make sense to include this kind of feature on a big title like that if they are implementing it for a FF:CC title.
Now you got my hopes up ;-;

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
More FF:CC co-op goodness! DS + Wii connectivity. :D

The Mii integration. :lol

Do want, thank you very much.

jj984jj

PolyGone said:
Father_Brain said:
No, she said "FCCC isn't dead" in response to questions about TCB. Twice.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12722623&highlight=dead#post12722623

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12709849&highlight=dead#post12709849

Doesn't prove anything, but the wording makes me wonder.
Now you guys are just speculating too much. We still don't even know what kind of Wii/DS connectivity is going on here. :p :lol

Soule

Yaaaay Crystal Beare---- wait what? I guess this is cool too, but Crystal Bearers looked more appealing to me. I don't really like the idea of the Mii integration, well actually I like the idea just not how it turns out, perhaps if Miis weren't so rough... Anyway don't really know much so I'll reserve judgment but anticipate it optimistically and quietly mourn Crystal Bearers ;_;

Would be cool if the Wii version contained the DS version on the disc, and you transferred it over to the NEW DScamera. (Which could have some built in storage)
the use of Mii's makes me think so, with the New DS maybe having a Wiicentric menu system

RpgN

DefectiveReject said:
Would be cool if the Wii version contained the DS version on the disc, and you transferred it over to the NEW DScamera. (Which could have some built in storage)
the use of Mii's makes me think so, with the New DS maybe having a Wiicentric menu system

SE ds games are usually around that price. I wouldn't be surprised if they both cost the same (pay for each version).

To me, I don't think Crystal Bearers exists anymore. They mention nothing about it for a long time and have 2 games in the franchise done and 2 in development (DS and Wii). That's really sad...

lo zaffo

I'm on DS version if I can play it on my telly with Wii and if I can multiplay via Wi-Fi Connectivity. Pretty awesome.

PolyGone

Banned
RpgN said:
To me, I don't think Crystal Bearers exists anymore. They mention nothing about it for a long time and have 2 games in the franchise done and 2 in development (DS and Wii).

Think about S-E's line-up though. It's been pretty insane this year, and continues to keep on chugging until Dragon Quest 9 comes out next year. They're probably just keeping it on the sidelines until they need it.

It's hard to keep hope up for Crystal Bearers but I'm going to try. :( Maybe they're planning to show it tomorrow during the Nintendo Conference? Gotta keep hope. D:

Anyone know what time the Nintendo conference is? Hopefully this will be there...alongside Crystal Bearers and Baten Kaitos Twii.

Jaruru

how about SE giving you some code to let you download a little channel on the Wii to transfer the Mii over DS? (Band Bros DX kind of) :D

or simply Wiiware/DS has their version. interconnected

duckroll

This is a DS base game that works on both the DS and the Wii. It looks like another one of S-E's stupid wacky experiments. The game uses two screens on the Wii version as well, just horizontally instead. The graphics are DS graphics. Retarded. S-E continues to throw shit in the direction of the Wii after being bitter about Chocobo Dungeon sales. :lol

lo zaffo

duckroll said:
This is a DS base game that works on both the DS and the Wii. It looks like another one of S-E's stupid wacky experiments. The game uses two screens on the Wii version as well, just horizontally instead. The graphics are DS graphics. Retarded. S-E continues to throw shit in the direction of the Wii after being bitter about Chocobo Dungeon sales. :lol
It is all over the DS, You know.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
duckroll said:
Basically.
It's not exactly another Wii game replacing Crystal Bearers (R.I.P.? Or not?).
It's a straight DS port, with cross-platform online.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
duckroll said:

D:

Dascu

This announcement slightly supports the possiblity that Crystal Bearers is being turned into a more full-fledged non-Crystal Chronicles FF(13?) title.

duckroll said:
Looking at the scans, I feared something like this. Eh, at least it has online.

Dascu said:
This announcement slightly supports the possiblity that Crystal Bearers is being turned into a more full-fledged non-Crystal Chronicles FF(13?) title.
I don't see this happening.
duckroll said:
Hey if this means Wi-Fi (hopefully) then I don't care.

duckroll said:

On the other hand, until we eventually recieve a DS Player for the Wii+, this is not neccessarily a bad idea at all. You don't need any extra equipment (although you would probably need a FF:CC channel - possibly from the Wiiware shop?) and you can play on your television - that is something that many people have hoped for in the past. Options are always good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, god forbid people who actually enjoys Crystal Chronicles, something that has always been, you know, about multiplayer.

And yeah, a developer wanting to implement DS + Wii connectivity in a game is something sooo retarded amirite.

Top Bottom