• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Another AoE raid? It's times like this I'm grateful for having Frans BSB. Of course given it is not 5 targets I wonder if dancing will be so helpful.

More status as well :( Maybe it says a lot about how strong players are getting if the game is resorting to cheap tricks (I don't think you can completely negate status either outside of a few newer SBs as they have something like a base chance of 3%)

(maybe it is though with penta break, full break and power breakdown the screams once a few had died were still doing thousands the parties I was in)
I think I figured this part out (way to go, the raid only ended 6 hours ago). They buff themselves up which will make their stats far exceed the softcap. Add your mitigation to that and...they're still above the softcap. You see that with mote Ifrit where power breakdown does practically nothing to help you. This is the bit where someone taps me on the shoulder and explains the enemy attack softcap got increased...
my understanding is it's been unchanged since launch

That is a quite a flip on the head as you would think debuff stacking would have been the key to that AoE fight. Or I could be off-key and actually did the right thing all along.

friz898

Bit late getting to the Sunday night events. I'm central time, but it's late night/early am here. We have big rain storms coming in since I'm in the Florida panhandle.

I'm about to walk away from the comp, so won't post until sometime tomorrow but about to go do the U+ and raids. I'll make sure to cry if hard, and shrug shoulders if easy.

I did already do my pull, have to do my pull before the Wife goes to bed. 3star dupe trash.

You know, I don't know why certain 3stars seem to be so prevalent. Like tonight was Diamond Knuckle. I know that I've been playing for almost two years, and 800 days is a lot but gosh, why is it always the Unicorn Shield, Ripper (ff2), and like 8 other items, lol.

I mean, hell they could give me a beyond synergy 3star and at least I wouldn't destroy it.

scy

A bit late but I just solo'd the Mandragora / Ultros MP rather than rely on groups. A++ wasn't so bad when I stopped getting bad RNG (aka, please stop ramming the only person with <5k HP). Bulk of my DPS in both was Ashe BSB backed by Raines BSB / Yuna BSB buffs. RW Wall and Vaan to handle breaks (even vs Mandragora with AoE Power Breakdown SSB). Went 2x healer for Mandragora, albeit the second healer was just Vanille USB and Curaga, instead of OK. Did end up relying on Blind to keep Screams at bay since it was better kill order routing to ignore Topstalk for OSB spam. Ultros was a pushover, though, after struggling to physical him down in Apoc.

I'm torn between wanting to be talked into a pull on either banner (since basically no FFT relics) but I also did the U+ CM with some egg'd level 50-ish units and an Orlandeau RW. Even got Mastery.

friz898

A bit late but I just solo'd the Mandragora / Ultros MP rather than rely on groups. A++ wasn't so bad when I stopped getting bad RNG (aka, please stop ramming the only person with <5k HP). Bulk of my DPS in both was Ashe BSB backed by Raines BSB / Yuna BSB buffs. RW Wall and Vaan to handle breaks (even vs Mandragora with AoE Power Breakdown SSB). Went 2x healer for Mandragora, albeit the second healer was just Vanille USB and Curaga, instead of OK. Did end up relying on Blind to keep Screams at bay since it was better kill order routing to ignore Topstalk for OSB spam. Ultros was a pushover, though, after struggling to physical him down in Apoc.

I'm torn between wanting to be talked into a pull on either banner (since basically no FFT relics) but I also did the U+ CM with some egg'd level 50-ish units and an Orlandeau RW. Even got Mastery.

I looked it up, my friend code is fegv, I guess that is normal, 4 characters, no numbers, no uppercase, but I have no idea.

Not sure how all the secret-squirrel friend stuff works, but add me, and I'll help conquer raids with you, if you so please.

I don't do the raids solo, for no reasons other than I'll feel like I'm spoiling what could have been a great movie. Kinda like if I did it myself, then it was close with a group. It wouldn't be epic team synergy and trial/tribulation, it'd instead be "geez, I did this better myself"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Another AoE raid? It's times like this I'm grateful for having Frans BSB. Of course given it is not 5 targets I wonder if dancing will be so helpful.

More status as well :( Maybe it says a lot about how strong players are getting if the game is resorting to cheap tricks (I don't think you can completely negate status either outside of a few newer SBs as they have something like a base chance of 3%)
Affliction Break or two people with Ultra Cure is basically mandatory for those fights. That or all those status blink thingies that have been dropping lately.

Fuck, Guard Bringer is awesome (in both viability and animation).

Indeed. I haven't had a chance to test it out personally yet, but it certainly looks to have some serious potential for damage at 4-hits: 1x Holy PhyDmg per hit, 2-hit default. 3-hits @ 798 DEF. 4-hits @ 2736 DEF.

I just don't understand the math behind optimizing buffs to hit 2736. Anyone know?

I'm planning on using the skill on my Beatrix, who has her Imperil BSB. I can run Lifesiphon -> BSB -> Command 1 (for Sentinel) -> Guardbreaker spam.

What I've been trying to figure out is an optimal buff setup to hit that 2736. What's the math involved here? I know Protect increases DEF by 100%, Wall by 200% and Sentinel by 200%. What I don't know is how is the stack calculated (before factoring in the DEF Buff stacking cap). Additively, increasing DEF by 500%, or Multiplicatively, increasing DEF by 1800%? Lastly, what is the DEF Buff stacking cap anyways?

Beat the raid on the first try last night. I brought Affliction Break and Tyro USB and we had another Tyro USB on top of that. The whole group ignored adds which I guess was lucky. I was actually thinking that it was kind of crazy how easy this raid was compared to the last set...

Guardbringer is awesome. On Agrias or Beatrix with max stats and some synergy, Sentinel Grimoire + Protectga + BSB give you enough DEF for four hits. Easy peasy.

WarAdept

Indeed. I haven't had a chance to test it out personally yet, but it certainly looks to have some serious potential for damage at 4-hits: 1x Holy PhyDmg per hit, 2-hit default. 3-hits @ 798 DEF. 4-hits @ 2736 DEF.

I just don't understand the math behind optimizing buffs to hit 2736. Anyone know?

It's super easy. SG + Protetga + Draw Fire/Gaia Cross with ~300 base def will 4hit Guard Bringer

Ahnez

Its also worth mentioning Protectga ignores the soft cap.

You need 1368 DEF without Protectga to get all 4 hits.

MrDaravon

Debating on pulling on FF12 but not sure which since I have no FF12 medica. I don't have anything on either banner outside of Basch's Unique Platinum (?) Shield, and my only notable FF12 relics period are that, Vaan's BSB and Ashe's BSB. Skimming the reddit thread people speak very highly of Larsa's BSB on banner 2 but it's the only medica on that banner. My RS is weak enough in 12 where I might honestly do one pull on each or something, dunno. Only other banners I plan on pulling on between now and Extreme Fest is probably FF4 since my (physical DPS) RS is non-existent there so I can justify a pull on each banner here if I want I suppose. Hmm.

Balphon

Larsa's BSB is probably the best healing burst in the game to the point that you may want to just go for it despite the first banner having two healing relics instead of one. It's something you'll likely want to use outside of CMs. Moreover, though Penelo's USB is quite good, her BSB is average at best and can be very awkward to use.

Syntsui

Larsa's BSB is probably the best healing burst in the game to the point that you may want to just go for it despite the first banner having two healing relics instead of one. It's something you'll likely want to use outside of CMs. Moreover, though Penelo's USB is quite good, her BSB is average at best and can be very awkward to use.

What does it do? I can't find anything about it on google.

Balphon

What does it do? I can't find anything about it on google.

Larsa BSB is AoE curaga + astra (status blink). Commands are same as Y'shtola (instant curaja + standard AoE burst heal). Given how vital Astra can be, your heal is a good thing for it to be on.

Penelo USB is instant AoE curaga + pblink 1 + 2000 HP stock. Basically a direct upgrade of the old Arc SSB.

Syntsui

I have 2 Astra relics, but a BSB one would indeed be much better. I don't think I'll pull though, it will probably be on the fest anyway.

Kenai

Can't reiterate how surprised I am at how good Larsa is. I probably won't pull on the 12 banner either (out side of $1) but pretty much all of his relics are good stuff and 5* in both WHM and Support is incredibly useful. I'd chase it I weren't hoarding for that FF6 banner. My 12 synergy isn't amazing but with Vaan/Vayne BSSBs and Larsa's Haste SSB I can get by CMs well enough.

WarAdept

Can't reiterate how surprised I am at how good Larsa is. I probably won't pull on the 12 banner either (out side of $1) but pretty much all of his relics are good stuff and 5* in both WHM and Support is incredibly useful. I'd chase it I weren't hoarding for that FF6 banner. My 12 synergy isn't amazing but with Vaan/Vayne BSSBs and Larsa's Haste SSB I can get by CMs well enough.

Yeah my XII gear is kinda shit (best thing I have is Ashe's BSB, everything else is basically the super old SB's), but the XII cast is quite strong and diverse so I haven't had to pull for CM's.

Fuck you Vaan. I have no idea how much mithril I wasted chasing your stupid BSB

Did a 50 on banner 1. Got Rapha SSB robe with haste and quickcast. And Ramza 30 percent reduction gloves.

Much needed Synergy. Still will probably pull on 10-1 as I need synergy there too.

So the core player over on Reddit managed to beat U and U+ without Tyro:
http://imgur.com/a/i4QUP
Thunder God RW with gear and +dmg RM=OP. I like this bit though:
S7akhZWl.png
It describes the cores pretty well.

friz898

Did half the raids last night, wasn't anything too challenging.

Did the 140 and 160 first try.

Well sorta.

First try was a CM team for 140 and I barely lost. Not being patient enough to try again or tweak it, I switched to my A-team.

They took 140 and 160 as the aforementioned first try. Relm Medica/Last Stand and Alphi DeployTactics are just too good.

Did bring Agrias who did a good amount of damage with her BSB.

And ya guys on Guardbringer, I took it up to R2 immediately. I like it.

It's super easy. SG + Protetga + Draw Fire/Gaia Cross with ~300 base def will 4hit Guard Bringer
Wonderful! Things will be made even better for Holy Knights when the new (in Japan) Divine Cross ability comes out. It's a holy version of Gaia Cross. As for right now, I should have no problem getting 4-hits w/ Wall + Protectga + Sentinel (via Beatrix's BSB CMD 1), since Sentinel = 200% DEF buff vs Draw Fire's 100% DEF buff.

I'd still like to know how the exact math behind the DEF buff stack works, though. Anyone know the specifics?
What's the math involved here? I know Protect increases DEF by 100%, Wall by 200% and Sentinel by 200%. What I don't know is how is the stack calculated (before factoring in the DEF Buff stacking cap). Additively, increasing DEF by 500%, or Multiplicatively, increasing DEF by 1800%? Lastly, what is the DEF Buff stacking cap anyways?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get realm specific RMs in the current set of dailies? Since there's multiple synergies I'm not sure if it counts. Done probably 30 runs of Tuesday dailies and can't get Cecil's RM2

friz898

Does anyone know if it's possible to get realm specific RMs in the current set of dailies? Since there's multiple synergies I'm not sure if it counts. Done probably 30 runs of Tuesday dailies and can't get Cecil's RM2

Well I just got Mog's MC2 this past week. I didn't even know I needed it (he was already 80) when it popped.

Also, not that this helps you, but Pecil's RM3 (assuming you mean Pecil, not Decil) is useful, "Azure Blade - Deal Much More Holy Damage"

Well I just got Mog's MC2 this past week. I didn't even know I needed it (he was already 80) when it popped.

Also, not that this helps you, but Pecil's RM3 (assuming you mean Pecil, not Decil) is useful, "Azure Blade - Deal Much More Holy Damage"

That's exactly why I'm going for it ;-)

Is Mog's MC2 realm specific though? I know I would have no issue if it was an RM that can be acquired anywhere, but Cecil's in particular (and a few other random charactesr) require you to be in a specific realm for it to drop. In Cecil's case, it says "Chance to drop with Cecil in a party in an FFIV dungeon". But the dailies are multiple synergy, so I just don't know if this counts as an FFIV dungeon.

friz898

That's exactly why I'm going for it ;-)

Is Mog's MC2 realm specific though? I know I would have no issue if it was an RM that can be acquired anywhere, but Cecil's in particular (and a few other random charactesr) require you to be in a specific realm for it to drop. In Cecil's case, it says "Chance to drop with Cecil in a party in an FFIV dungeon". But the dailies are multiple synergy, so I just don't know if this counts as an FFIV dungeon.

You know, I'm not sure if I've been lucky or realm specificity is not required, but I've got (or thought I had until Mog's popped) everybody's RM2 just by random doing dungeons, usually the Sunday Daily with no realm synergy while I was leveling them from 65-80. In fact I got both Rapha and March this week between last Sunday and Today, both for Exp-Daily.

friz898

So these mote dungeons.

There is no point in doing them once they're all mastered and you have all Onion Motes right? I mean, unless for fun or something, but I think they only give you like 1500 or 15000 gold or something trivial.

Syntsui

So these mote dungeons.

There is no point in doing them once they're all mastered and you have all Onion Motes right? I mean, unless for fun or something, but I think they only give you like 1500 or 15000 gold or something trivial.

Yeah, they are absolutely useless and will be like this forever it seems. I don't understand why they stopped making content for motes and nightmare dungeons.

friz898

Yeah, they are absolutely useless and will be like this forever it seems. I don't understand why they stopped making content for motes and nightmare dungeons.

Well with Nightmare, maybe they ran out of ideas? I don't know. They did 12, like a year/zodiak stuff, or whatever, which I know you realize that.

I can't think of a good reason.

As for the Mote dungeons, why not more? That I REALLY can't explain. It's like, there is no Torment to work on at the moment. All raids done. I don't care about d180 fights, all mote dungeons done.

All I have left to do at the moment really is the 4 remaining Nightmare final fights. Guess I will work on one tonight.

Rubenov

Nightmares are going to transition into magicite dungeons shortly. That's what the crystal in the middle is for.

For mote dungeons, however, I don't get why they don't release more realms and a chance to get more motes. They could do it once a month like with the Torments.

Mist opportunity.

Nightmares are going to transition into magicite dungeons shortly. That's what the crystal in the middle is for.

For mote dungeons, however, I don't get why they don't release more realms and a chance to get more motes. They could do it once a month like with the Torments.

Mist opportunity.

What do you get from magicite dungeons, and how soon?

Anustart

Fucking worst thing about this event was the 20 minute unskippable talking sesh in the middle of the fight. Let's not do that again dena.

friz898

For some reason these fucking FFT bosses always talk shit forever. Just shut the fuck up and let me kill you

Well, while I agree with you and Anustart, it does hold true to the game. Like with Wiegraf becoming Belias, and his sister Miluda before she died, and Izlude etc.

(I agree too, lets make it skippable or not at all)

but it does ooze a bit of nostalgia.

Finally got all twinstrikes to R3 as well as Chain Firaga, Thundaga, and Blizzaga. Stonega is R2 but it seems less useful, and Bioga I'll probably skip entirely.

At least i can finally start turning my attention elsewhere, such as Guardbringer and some Darkness abilities perhaps

Anustart

Finally got all twinstrikes to R3 as well as Chain Firaga, Thundaga, and Blizzaga. Stonega is R2 but it seems less useful, and Bioga I'll probably skip entirely.

At least i can finally start turning my attention elsewhere, such as Guardbringer and some Darkness abilities perhaps

I need either ninja or samurai or something. Got no moves for several peeps.

Problem with these ninja magic released is I'm already stronk in fire and wind else where.

LucaMac

I don't know. I just know they're focused on you bringing certain elements, and you have to finish them within a certain time.

Maybe someone that plays the JP version can expand.

They're basically heavy hitting, tough as nails, one element bosses. You get magicite of their element for beating them. Each magicite gives you one or two bonus's. Main bonus's are offense or defence in their element, boosts to attack, magic etc. They also act as a second RW summom with different effects each. Once summoned they also act as an untargetable part member letting off an attack every round or so, mostly in their own element.

You can equip up to 5 magicite at a time, One main and 4 secondary. Only the main one can be summoned by all their bonus stat and element boosts and resistences stack...

I've beaten two of them so far. The ice Magicite Sealion (FFVIII) was my main target as I'd some serious fire offense in Terras USB/OSB combo which I wrath entrusted to death. Beaten it about 15-20 times. Needs to be done as each Magicite levels up as characters do, except instead of memory crystals you fuse dupes to break level cap. Each
boss defeat gets you one 3* magicite and each boss can drop three different ones on defeat. So you need 4 of each to max all three. There's 1* and 2* magicite too which you get depending on how fast you beat them but the 3*s are stronger.(Can't speak for the 2* you get for beating it in less than 30 seconds)

Have nearly all my Ice magicite maxed now.

What do you get from magicite dungeons, and how soon?
Think you're looking at about 4 months time.

To add to what LucaMac said I believe the following is true:
-You need to beat all nightmare dungeons to play in them
-The bosses have 80% break resist (in other words don't bring breaks but support characters still make for great entrust batteries)
-No RS, no RW, fox only, final destination. You are however given an RW to use which is a 30 second version of SG.
-They don't cost stamina but an item you get one per day and can hold 14 at most
-Similar to torment the item is consumed only upon beating it

friz898

I'm glad they're bringing more stuff but man...

....this game may end up to be one of those that in the future somewhat cannibalizes itself with having so many systems at play that it scares off newbies who are just looking for a simple time-waster but then later get hooked.

They'll just see so many slots and options and so many questions ... I hope that isn't the case.

Shoot, FFRK may somewhat already be at that point.

It already is at that point in some respects. Imagine starting right now and trying to develop Onion Knight from scratch. There's exactly one dungeon that drops the item you need 12 of, high difficulty for a beginning player, 25% drop rate, and the dungeon is only even available intermittently. Also elemental resist items-- For some high difficulty fights like mote Ifrit, you're going to want to outfit the whole party in fire resist accessories. There's only one such item that a new player would have have access to right now (the armlet from one of the Nightmare records), and who knows when or if any more will be available.

It already is at that point in some respects. Imagine starting right now and trying to develop Onion Knight from scratch. There's exactly one dungeon that drops the item you need 12 of, high difficulty for a beginning player, 25% drop rate, and the dungeon is only even available intermittently. Also elemental resist items-- For some high difficulty fights like mote Ifrit, you're going to want to outfit the whole party in fire resist accessories. There's only one such item that a new player would have have access to right now (the armlet from one of the Nightmare records), and who knows when or if any more will be available.

I started 6 months ago, and I still don't have a single useful KO Resist accessory :-/

friz898

I started 6 months ago, and I still don't have a single useful KO Resist accessory :-/

I have something but don't remember what it is off the top of my head. I'm curious now.

I've never used it because it's usually petrify r something that happens, I can't (off top of my head) think of very many bosses where KO could have happen. I think Lich maybe, from FF1? <shrug>

I have something but don't remember what it is off the top of my head. I'm curious now.

I've never used it because it's usually petrify r something that happens, I can't (off top of my head) think of very many bosses where KO could have happen. I think Lich maybe, from FF1? <shrug>
IIRC, Instant KO resist gear is mostly used to defend against HP % attacks (Ex: Gravija). I've used them for many Raid bosses.

WarAdept

IIRC, Instant KO resist gear is mostly used to defend against HP % attacks (Ex: Gravija). I've used them for many Raid bosses.

Yep.As Adawg said, IKO resist isn't actually used for Instant KO attacks, but rather gravity/HP proportionate attacks as the game treats them under the same "status".

Letting your party dodge Gravija's and other HP based BS makes a lot of fights much easier.

LucaMac

-They don't cost stamina but an item you get one per day and can hold 14 at most
-Similar to torment the item is consumed only upon beating it

They do cost stamina. 60 like a torment, however it's not consumed if you don't win also. You can hold 16 of the item technically and there's inventory space for 15 but you can just not collect one until required...

It's currently half stamina (so 30) because they released two new bosses this week.

Top Bottom