• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

My Torment II JS300 under 3 minutes:

https://youtu.be/h23aaNo0Tg4

Basically, Cloud USB coupled with good ol' Guy SSB.

I can't believe this is the same Torment that gave me so much trouble a few months ago. Power creep is real.

Wow! That is nuts! Guy, what a badass!

I got the full 300 CM done using... conventional methods... I've got to get into the habit of RW'ing Cloud USB more. I tend to just automatically pick Tyro for my RW anytime he's not in the party. How integral is Relm USB to your strat? I have pretty much everything you used there except for that. Don't know how difficult it would be to make it work.

EtQBJtu.png

Rubenov

Wow! That is nuts! Guy, what a badass!

I got the full 300 CM done using... conventional methods... I've got to get into the habit of RW'ing Cloud USB more. I tend to just automatically pick Tyro for my RW anytime he's not in the party. How integral is Relm USB to your strat? I have pretty much everything you used there except for that. Don't know how difficult it would be to make it work.

Relm was there just for the Instacast to party, to make the whole thing go faster. It's not integral at all... actually my first few clears I was using Tyro and Minwu.

Kain

OK, all the VIII event done except for the last MP. I think I can solo it if fucking Tonberry doesn't kill Squall all the time like he did in the 160 battle, which still I won easily. The strat would be:

Squall fully dived and BSB2
Laguna with imperil ice
Ramza with Shout
Edge with SSB and Icicle shot (it does quite a lot of damage...)
Relm with BSB

RW Selphie's USB or whatever the hell I can find with Last stand

Mastered Jump Start. Put Quistis OSB in for Steiner. Took heal off Relm for Faith. Mog Switched out Magic down dance to Res down dance.

Sara Bareilles should be proud of me. I have 213 5 star Bravery motes.

Ice and Lightning obviously went first with Poison and Fire. Recast wall and it wasnt too close down stretch vs Fire.

SOLDIER

With a new iPhone and the hopes of passing time quicker at work, I'd like to devote more time to learning this game. I've had an off/on relationship with it since launch, so I've got a few noobish questions on how to properly micromanage this game.

1. What's the best way to earn money? That seems to be the thing holding me back from upgrading my gear and/or abilities.

2. Is there any point to level up characters the traditional way (via dungeon runs), or just use growth eggs whenever I get new party members?

3. How can you determine the level requirements for a dungeon? If it says "Difficulty 25", does that mean you should have a party at level 25? I've wasted a lot of runs thinking my party was strong enough only to get trounced somewhere along the way.

4. Is there any real point to leveling up each character? It seems you're better off having one dedicated team that's high level, as well as following another player's character to bust out a semi-guaranteed instant kill.

With a new iPhone and the hopes of passing time quicker at work, I'd like to devote more time to learning this game. I've had an off/on relationship with it since launch, so I've got a few noobish questions on how to properly micromanage this game.

1. What's the best way to earn money? That seems to be the thing holding me back from upgrading my gear and/or abilities.

2. Is there any point to level up characters the traditional way (via dungeon runs), or just use growth eggs whenever I get new party members?

3. How can you determine the level requirements for a dungeon? If it says "Difficulty 25", does that mean you should have a party at level 25? I've wasted a lot of runs thinking my party was strong enough only to get trounced somewhere along the way.

4. Is there any real point to leveling up each character? It seems you're better off having one dedicated team that's high level, as well as following another player's character to bust out a semi-guaranteed instant kill.

1. Money is best earned during Orbfest or selling materials in late game or running the GIL dungeon. Spending some mythril during Orbfest is not a bad idea if you're broke and want to power level and get a heap of orbs all at the same time. Remember to equip any XP material you have.

2. The more you use your characters in battle the less growth eggs you have to use. Which you can use when you need to break and level someone in a jiffy.

3. Rule of thumb is if you're half the level you can beat it. A team of 99s should be able to beat 200 anything. This is even easier with Roaming Warriors for lower levels. A team of 40s could beat a 120 with some OP Roaming Warrior.

4. All characters can't do everything so diversity amongst what they can do is crucial. Your physical team will be crushed vs high defense boss that requires magic. Your magic team will by stymied against high resistance. As you get new and better SBs your preferred team will change. Tidus isn't gonna do much against a boss that requires Ice, so better bring Squall instead. Vaan breaking isn't gonna do much good against multiple enemies better bring Cait Sith instead.

SOLDIER

1. Money is best earned during Orbfest or selling materials in late game or running the GIL dungeon. Spending some mythril during Orbfest is not a bad idea if you're broke and want to power level and get a heap of orbs all at the same time. Remember to equip any XP material you have.

2. The more you use your characters in battle the less growth eggs you have to use. Which you can use when you need to break and level someone in a jiffy.

3. Rule of thumb is if you're half the level you can beat it. A team of 99s should be able to beat 200 anything. This is even easier with Roaming Warriors for lower levels. A team of 40s could beat a 120 with some OP Roaming Warrior.

4. All characters can't do everything so diversity amongst what they can do is crucial. Your physical team will be crushed vs high defense boss that requires magic. Your magic team will by stymied against high resistance. As you get new and better SBs your preferred team will change. Tidus isn't gonna do much against a boss that requires Ice, so better bring Squall instead. Vaan breaking isn't gonna do much good against multiple enemies better bring Cait Sith instead.

For question 2, do you mean that you earn less growth eggs if you keep using the same characters?

Also I wish there was an easier way to determine which characters can equip which magic. Often I'll purchase a spell only to learn that a party member can't use it (for example, Yuffie can equip Fire, but not Poisona).

Rubenov

For question 2, do you mean that you earn less growth eggs if you keep using the same characters?

Also I wish there was an easier way to determine which characters can equip which magic. Often I'll purchase a spell only to learn that a party member can't use it (for example, Yuffie can equip Fire, but not Poisona).

#2 -- No, it means that you spend less growth eggs since you're only focusing on a few characters. You will earn pretty much the same amount of growth eggs, depending on when you complete events and how often you play the Experience daily dungeons.

You can determine who can equip magic, or any ability, by pressing and holding down the ability and then selecting "Assignable Heroes". The same applies for relics... just press and hold.

Yes, you can press down any icon for further info on spells/abilities, relics, or characters which will as the other guy said lead to a button in the upper right of the pop up that will tell you who can use item or what items/abilities the character can use.

Through diving characters by motes some characters can pick up a better tier of abilities(from 4 star to 5 star most often) which isn't shown on the character or item screen until it's unlocked.

Think there's also a few characters that have abilities to different weapons through mote diving. I wanna say Rinoa gets access to staves through her record sphere. Any others?

Kain

Hah, MP220 solo'd with the above setup and some hit and run to build Edge's gauge. Squall chewed through all his life bar pretty much by himself, what a beast.

How do I get "class" motes? I just noticed Vaan can use Thief Motes, but I dunno where to get those.
5 dooms event gave an absurd amount when they debuted.

You are stuck with a handful for completing D200 torment dungeons. Don't remember which one had thief as I've not done any torment dungeons (as 5 dooms gave me enough though I've only gotten a few characters 6* spellblade and 6* thief then made one copy of these respective abilities, you don't get enough motes to entertain the possibility of going for the 5% damage or whatever it is). Job motes are probably the biggest disadvantage a newer account has.

Of course 5 dooms did not have everything. If you want a good time mention bard motes to reddit (along with unholy blitz, 5* core weapons and blizzaja).
Global doesn't have these because these ones were a colab event instead. Admitting most people want them to break the 6* ability into more crystals...at this rate dailies with crystal drops will happen before

SOLDIER

So I know now that leveling up characters isn't a problem thanks to growth eggs, and neither is gil that much as long as I'm selling unneeded materials.

What still remains a problem is equipment: it seems I have to entirely depend on the RNG of relic drops in order to get something that I hope is useful for the characters I want. Vincent, for example, has no guns he can use....the most optimal weapon for him is a rod.

Which is more important, leveling up equipment, characters or abilities?

friz898

So I know now that leveling up characters isn't a problem thanks to growth eggs, and neither is gil that much as long as I'm selling unneeded materials.

What still remains a problem is equipment: it seems I have to entirely depend on the RNG of relic drops in order to get something that I hope is useful for the characters I want. Vincent, for example, has no guns he can use....the most optimal weapon for him is a rod.

You do characters and abilities at the same time. Need the hps and stats. The abilities come automatically as you get the orbs you need.

Equipment will come from events and if you have a bunch of story dungeons left, you can do 50 mythril pulls or tomorrow night is a half price 25 mythril pull.

A different but similar question is who to level up and the answer you will get is 'the ones you have relics for'.

friz898

I am trying to figure out why they act like Mote dungeons are special when we can't get new ones.

Hell, would it be too hard to just make some harder versions of the same and slap a JS tag on it?

Tidd

So did the hit & run strat for the MP battle because he killed our haste bot on the first turn when I tried it with others. That was too much bs.

Ff2 torment dungeon was easy. Had to do the 250 difficulty 3 times because I forgot to use a weakness. JS CM was easier than thought. Leila for the damage with her en-poison AoE BSB. Leon for HofE buff and some damage with Omega Drive. Miwiu? with his instant cast SSB, Tyro for Wall, MB dance and weakness, and of course Ramza with Shout and Chant and Ninja Magic for more weakness. RW was Cloud's USB.

I am trying to figure out why they act like Mote dungeons are special when we can't get new ones.

Hell, would it be too hard to just make some harder versions of the same and slap a JS tag on it?

In 5-6 months.

friz898

So did the hit & run strat for the MP battle because he killed our haste bot on the first turn when I tried it with others. That was too much bs.

Mote dungeons were easy. Had to do the 250 difficulty 3 times because I forgot to use a weakness. JS CM was easier than thought. Leila for the damage with her en-poison AoE BSB. Leon for HofE buff and some damage with Omega Drive. Miwiu? with his instant cast SSB, Tyro for Wall, MB dance and weakness, and of course Ramza with Shout and Chant and Ninja Magic for more weakness. RW was Cloud's USB.

In 5-6 months.

When you say Mote dungeons in your post before my reply and what I call Mote dungeons seems to be two diff things.

Relics are the most important. Everything else (which characters to level, which abilities to hone) is going to be determined by which relics you have. And yeah the RNG can be a bitch sometimes, but, focus on getting mythril from the story dungeons, be choosy about which banners you invest in, and you will catch up quickly.

The game is constantly introducing powerful new stuff. Also, be open to characters that aren't necessarily your favorites.

WarAdept

So now that I'm free of Geo farming, I had a look at the current VIII event.

Specifically the raids.

Took one look at King Tonberry's fight description and noped as hard as I could out of MP. Fuck trying that with a PUG. Decided to smash it solo using Galuf's super super old Unyielding Fist SB.

God I love fights that are trivialised by one super niche but amazing effect (Runic/Peerless).

SOLDIER

Relics are the most important. Everything else (which characters to level, which abilities to hone) is going to be determined by which relics you have. And yeah the RNG can be a bitch sometimes, but, focus on getting mythril from the story dungeons, be choosy about which banners you invest in, and you will catch up quickly.

The game is constantly introducing powerful new stuff. Also, be open to characters that aren't necessarily your favorites.

In hindsight I probably should have used the last two hero souls I earned to unlock characters whose relic weapons I already have (Edgar, Auron) instead of two of my all-time favorites (Tifa and Noctis).

How often do hero souls pop up?

In hindsight I probably should have used the last two hero souls I earned to unlock characters whose relic weapons I already have (Edgar, Auron) instead of two of my all-time favorites (Tifa and Noctis).

Yeah that's a bit of a bummer. In just two weeks we're getting a FF15 event in which Noctis will be unlockable without using a Hero Soul. I wouldn't stress about it though, they're a common drop, and you'll also unlock a ton of characters through events. In terms of unlocking characters, the only thing you really need to be careful about is Memory Crystal III Lodes. They are still rare relative to the number of characters who can be broken to level 99.

Well fell into the trap, VIII-1.

Would love any of those bursts. But didnt get any.

Got 2 Vegas to make 3, as I had one, and now an 8 star.

Also picked up my first Seifer relic. His SSB trio element hit with party medium att-mag, D down(booo! Despite this abnormailty I take it, it doesn't stack with OK bsb att-mag?) Not a bad SSB as I have haste through Quistis.

Still missing an 8 medica but defensive gear is quite great and Quis can always back up heal if need be.

Vega is 140 Atk...better than my next gun 118 Exeter. RS Vega is 277 while Exeter is 203.

Plan on Augmenting it. If anything Irvine can equip it as he's a staple in all my VIII lineups and my best 5 star support class.

Did break Laguna with this development. Both these relics help out my newly acquired Edea burst. Yeah, I already had the imperil Ice but even then he wasnt broken but this put it over the top.

Even more good news Locke's dagger burst wont pop up on optimize for Irvine any longer. Was thinking of putting a couple of Augments just to stop that annoyance. but never did.

Super awesome that Laguna can Lifesiphon. Will have imperil up quick.

When does Lucky draw end? My mithril is in crisis.

That's right, 16 from dungeons. 13 from VII. I'll be good to pull tomorrow when VII hits.

Xetherion

I've jumped into Power Orb Gigas farming myself. My most needed orbs are Black, Ice, and Power, now that I've accumulated quite a bit of Dark.

How do people not have Power orbs? I get a bunch from the Tuesdaily while farming Black orbs and Power are not used in many abilities. I have 229 Major Power orbs, and if i converted my lower * orbs i'd have another 156 on top of that.

Wazzy

Banned
Tonberry fight was slow but I cleared it with a bunch of auto-raise relics(My Raijin included) and then finished 160 easily.

I think this has been my worst VIII banner so far though I'm still happy with my pulls. I managed to pull quite a few Steely blades, Squalls legend glove and the rest of the banner that isn't new items. I really wanted the USB for Squall or Seifer but I only have a couple pulls left and I don't think I'll land one.

friz898

How do people not have Power orbs? I get a bunch from the Tuesdaily while farming Black orbs and Power are not used in many abilities. I have 229 Major Power orbs, and if i converted my lower * orbs i'd have another 156 on top of that.

How high have you taken your 5star abilities? All but three of mine are rank 2 and I have a few that are rank 3 and 4.

I have 29 MPO right now and I have a list of several that need 40 or more Power orbs.

I won't be done farming orbs until all are at least rank 4 and some rank 5.

Balphon

Power orbs aren't used much for newer abilities, but they are important for older ones.

Only 5* orbs I don't have more than enough of are Dark and Ice.

Xetherion

How high have you taken your 5star abilities? All but three of mine are rank 2 and I have a few that are rank 3 and 4.

I have 29 MPO right now and I have a list of several that need 40 or more Power orbs.

I won't be done farming orbs until all are at least rank 4 and some rank 5.

Most of mine are r2 or r3. I've never needed more than r3, and most fights i don't even reach 5 uses so r2 would be fine.

I shattered ones i don't use, maybe some of the ones i shattered used power orbs.

My 5* abilities:

Flare r2
Meteor r3
All Chain spells r3, except Chain Stonega r2
Holy r1
Arise r1
Ultra Cure r4
Bahamut r4
Titan r1
Ultima Weapon r1
Tiamat r3
All 5* spellblades r3, except Flare Strike r0 (not crafted, will when it gets updated)
Full Charge r3
Full Break r3
Powerchain r3
Sky Grinder r1 (almost never use, should probably shatter)
Dragoon Jump r3
Lightning Dive r3
Meteor Crush r2
Fires Within r3
Thief's Revenge r2
Dash and Slash r2
Poison Leaves r2
Saint Cross r3
Gaia's Cross r3
Guardbringer r3
Hailstorm r2
Smoldering Fire r2
Raging Storm r2
Multibreak r3
Bio Grenade r2
Tempest Snipe r3
Dark Zone r3
Dire Heal r2
Sapphire Shot r3
Icicle Shot r2
Ruby Spark r2
Hell Thunder r3
Abyssal Shards r2

Most of the ones left at r2 are abilities i rarely use, but do use sometimes so I don't shatter them.

So can someone answer a question about the Seifer SSB? It seems there is two separate buffs, the ATT/MAG buff and DEF debuff. Can I just cast a different DEF buff/debuff after that and keep the ATT/MAG buff?

friz898

So can someone answer a question about the Seifer SSB? It seems there is two separate buffs, the ATT/MAG buff and DEF debuff. Can I just cast a different DEF buff/debuff after that and keep the ATT/MAG buff?

Talking about entry on SSB?

Edit:
I have been using BSBs too much ignore that stupid question.

I have that SSB as well, but you can cast anything that isn't 610 (Alphi or OK and others atk/mag) buff. To include 604 buffs.

At least that's how I understand it.

Talking about entry on SSB?

Edit:
I have been using BSBs too much ignore that stupid question.

I have that SSB as well, but you can cast anything that isn't 610 (Alphi or OK and others atk/mag) buff. To include 604 buffs.

At least that's how I understand it.

There's two buffs(1 up 610 and 1 down 604). Can't I just over ride the DEF down with a different 604? Or will that wipe out the 610? Seems I should be able to. But since I haven't had a SB like this I have no idea. You think it'd be a ATK/MAG/DEF buff since the SB is effecting all those stats on one cast.

friz898

There's two buffs(1 up 610 and 1 down 604). Can't I just over ride the DEF down with a different 604? Or will that wipe out the 610? Seems I should be able to. But since I haven't had a SB like this I have no idea. You think it'd be a ATK/MAG/DEF buff since the SB is effecting all those stats on one cast.

Right that's what I am saying you can do anything but a 610. Including a 604.

Reddit's reporting that the FF4 event has been pushed back a month to 9/7. Which sucks because I was looking forward to another shot at Rosa's USB.
You'll get more time to save up at least. (I'm pulling on that event too.)

It might be because of the Mobius event. Meia was finally introduced in that game so they might be slotting the FFRK collab in soon.

friz898

Reddit's reporting that the FF4 event has been pushed back a month to 9/7. Which sucks because I was looking forward to another shot at Rosa's USB.

What else is being reported.

I forget who was saying they don't like Reddit's format, but I am same. I only go there on specific things like which stage in gen fest drops certain greater orbs.

Balphon

What else is being reported.

I forget who was saying they don't like Reddit's format, but I am same. I only go there on specific things like which stage in gen fest drops certain greater orbs.

Just that the timestamp of the event was changed to push it back a month and that there's no event for next Thursday as of right now.

MrDaravon

Holy shit 5/11 with 3 6*'s!!!

OK's Onion Armor x 2 (Dupe)
Lightning's Razor Carbine
Ramza's Iga Blade (Dupe)
Marach's Headband

I mean yeah for 25 mythril sure, but getting maybe my first 5/11 including 3(!!!) disco balls and getting 3/5 dupes is kinda a bummer lol. I have Lightning's Enklinder BSB so the Razor Carbine is actually a solid pull.

Balphon

I went 2/11:

Orlandeau OSB (dupe)
OK OSB

Meh. Could've been worse. Can't see myself using Onion OSB over Onion Slice.

At least my strongest sword is stronger now.

MrDaravon

I went 2/11:

Orlandeau OSB (dupe)
OK OSB

Meh. Could've been worse.

OK's OSB is actually a pretty good stat-stick, but the OSB has been handy from time to time to finish battles off with, especially since IIRC it works with his instant-cast command from his BSB if you have that up.

Ahnez

1/11 Ovelia's BSB

Actually, looks like its a solid burst, its basically Ysh's bsb with +mnd instead of the bubble

Balphon

I actually have everything for Sir Onion other than his BSB, unfortunately.

But you're right, OSBs are always handy. And 6* armor is always welcome, especially in this case since my FF3 gear is real bad.

Top Bottom