• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Fully Legend Dived Edge (my first LD, BSB Vanille will soon be my second). I have his USB and R3 Raging Waters but only R1 Reflecting Pool. I want to use him to finally beat Fire MD, but I know I can't with weak hones like that. 10/60 MDO... this will take a while. D:

Edit: What I'm really struggling with is trying to figure out a team to take down Fenrir (want Enkidu for a FFIV CM Medica). I have Squall's OSB but no EnIce for him or anyone else. *Shrug*

I can handle fenrir with one ice bsb, serahs, and triple stacking faithgas. If. Only had a physical osb, I'd be able to run a team with some 3 combination of Ramza, Edward, sazh, onion, tyro for entrust bots or maybe alpha with his dt sb. That is if you need two boostgas active, I would. I have two copies of entrust now but have considered a third. Feed the beast. I have this problem with hydra, just rinoas earth osb.

Day 5 of no power and it's finally back, jesus. 92 degrees with humidity, I thought I was going to suffocate on the air last night. I thought I would miss the events that end on Sunday since my estimate was late that night. I feel like I missed so much even though it hasn't been that long.

Glad you made it, no power for days sucks, been there.

evangd007

- The event CM was the easiest CM I've ever done.

- I have 6 MC3s and am scraping the bottom of the barrel on worthwhile characters to use them on. It used to be "has a good SB" but now I'm going towards "has a BSB". Like, I have Kuja's BSB from some random lucky draw, but he's level 50 and I never use him.

- But not Decil's BSB or Auron's BSB1. I still have some standards.

What's the easiest magicite to beat?
It really depends on your characters. Strong elemental SBs + appropriate boosts make all the difference between a breezy battle and a tough as nails one.

I've personally gotten ~1:05ish clears so far with variations of this team:
- 2x BSB healers spamming cmd medicas (Vanille and Yuna)
- Radiant Shield reflecting damage (Alph)
- Haste Booster (Krile Sheepsong / Papal SSB)
- BSB Mage DD

I'm still trying to figure out how to beat the ones I don't have a good BSB (Wind MD, Lightning MD, Fire MD) for and how to get sub 1 min clears on the ones I have beaten (30 sec clears are still far off with no En/OSB combos).

Hardest is liquid flame, but now I have Bartz USB and edges bsb so I'm reconfiguring from mag into phys to see how that goes.
I've tried all but the Lightning MD and, so far, Fire MD has given me the biggest problems, too.

Funny enough, I have the reverse of you: Bartz EnWater BSB & Edge USB (Mirage 5* is only r1 though). Today is MDO daily grind day (10/60 for r3), so tomorrow I'll try a team of them with Shout Ramza and two healers. I also have EnWater Yuffie and Imperil Water Rikku. Problem at that point is losing Alph's DT with a 2x DPS + Shout + 2x Healer setup. Maybe when I finish diving Vanille she can hold her own w/o Yuna. *Shrug*

Silexx

Fire MD is going to frustrate me because I have two Water BSBs with Imperil (Rikku and Kimahri), I have Shout and VOF for Boostga and I can totally mitigate the damage. The problem is that both my DD still can't output enough damage to end the fight.

Xetherion

Sealion, all things being equal.

But as others said, it depends on what you have, element-wise.

I really don't know how the hell people say Sealion is easiest. I've cleared them all, all sub-60 except Living Flame, and I'd say all things being equal, Sealion is the 2nd-hardest just for the insane damage output it does even through ProShellga and Wall. Golem is harder as it also has strong mixed damage but much higher defenses.

Fenrir is easiest if you have a spammable mblink since he only has one magic move and he uses ST physical moves often that don't hurt too much with Protectga/Wall. If you don't have mblink he's probably the hardest though since his magic aoe also has a Slow proc. Fenrir also enrages sooner than the others if you don't bring a Dispel due to his self-Hastes, if you don't Dispel him and don't kill him before the 1:15 mark, be prepared to eat 3 Savage Withering Winds in a row in very quick succession.

I found both Hydra and Bismark easy, but i have strong mage options for them with Maria burst and Ashe burst+osb. I still think they're easier than others regardless because they don't do status ailments and their damage is almost all magical rather than mixed like Sealion/Golem.

Living Flame is more mentally challenging, but easy if you have a full set of Instant KO resist accessories as a lot of his attacks are Gravity-based. You also can completely avoid his most dangerous attack if you time your attacks to knock him out of Tornado form right after he changes to it. This strat makes it harder to get a good time clear though because you spend a bunch of time waiting for ATB's to fill before you launch an attack that could make him switch to Tornado form.

There's also an alternative strat for Living Flame that i've seen on reddit, where you leave him in Tornado form for a period while you recover, as he will only use Savage Firaga once per entering that form, then just cast Fira on himself to heal over and over, giving you time to heal up and build SB gauge. You probably will not get any time clear bonuses this way though.

I've tried all but the Lightning MD and, so far, Fire MD has given me the biggest problems, too.

Funny enough, I have the reverse of you: Bartz EnWater BSB & Edge USB (Mirage 5* is only r1 though). Today is MDO daily grind day (10/60 for r3), so tomorrow I'll try a team of them with Shout Ramza and two healers. I also have EnWater Yuffie and Imperil Water Rikku. Problem at that point is losing Alph's DT with a 2x DPS + Shout + 2x Healer setup. Maybe when I finish diving Vanille she can hold her own w/o Yuna. *Shrug*

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my team. I won a few minutes ago, but it wasn't pretty. Bartz and edge with onion and ramza entrustbots and eiko bsb healing.

I don't quite like the ninja water skills. I am r1/r2 respectively. Though I now see that I can r3 the attack, I think that would be better to do before r2ing the blink....hmmm

I think my issue is trying to get two entrusted to two attackers waiting to build two bars so I can fire off the boostgas then entrusts then the attack sbs. Kind of a slow way to develop an attack. Maybe I drop the second spellblade from Bartz and go life siphon, then he can start himself rolling when needed and not need an entrust until later.i just let edge summon rw or magicite or defend, I don't want him wasting his skills before the boostgas and his bsb fire....

I found sealion to be realiably easy but i roll:
Ex death with meltdown r3 and grand cross
Krille with fire bsb, chain firaga r3 valigarmanda r3
Onion with smoldering fire r3 and bsb
Papylymo with firaja r4 fire bsb faithga ssb
Yshtola full dive bsb

I have 3 fire armors and 2 fire weapons spread out.

Suffice it to say, this is a lot of fire power even without having an imperil fire. Infinite meltdowns to toss is just overwhelming.

Balphon

I really don't know how the hell people say Sealion is easiest. I've cleared them all, all sub-60 except Living Flame, and I'd say all things being equal, Sealion is the 2nd-hardest just for the insane damage output it does even through ProShellga and Wall. Golem is harder as it also has strong mixed damage but much higher defenses.

Sealion is simply the easiest to damage and mitigate. Liquid Flame, Fenrir, & Golem all have things that complicate them beyond simply doing damage. Of the other three, Bismarck has the highest damage output and isn't reliant on imperil. Sealion and Hydra are functionally very similar, since you can mitigate their damage with affliction break and resist accessories, but it's easier to do fire damage than earth. Hence, Sealion is generally easiest.

Naturally, though, if you have the specific things that counter the stuff the bosses can do they will individually become easier.

There's also an alternative strat for Living Flame that i've seen on reddit, where you leave him in Tornado form for a period while you recover, as he will only use Savage Firaga once per entering that form, then just cast Fira on himself to heal over and over, giving you time to heal up and build SB gauge. You probably will not get any time clear bonuses this way though.

Tornado spams Savage Firaga in very weak + enrage, so that's a risky proposition. Could work, though.

I liked the turtle run where they just left him in human form and relied on radiant shield for damage.

Xetherion

Sealion is simply the easiest to damage and mitigate. Liquid Flame, Fenrir, & Golem all have things that complicate them beyond simply doing damage. Of the other three, Bismarck has the highest damage output and isn't reliant on imperil. Sealion and Hydra are functionally very similar, since you can mitigate their damage with affliction break and resist accessories, but it's easier to do fire damage than earth. Hence, Sealion is generally easiest.

Naturally, though, if you have the specific things that counter the stuff the bosses can do they will individually become easier.

I did say Living Flame is more mentally challenging, but i still think it's easier overall due to lower damage output. I was able to beat it with a bunch of peeps spamming 3* Water Veil for crying out loud.

I also admitted Fenrir is the hardest if you don't have mblink.

Golem is only complicated if you're trying to use a physical team. Raging Storm/Gust/Phantasm/Tiamat/Meltdown are your friends.

I really don't see Bismark having the highest damage output. More varied elements, but not more damaging in my experience. Even less damage if you can bring a RES boost that stacks with Shellga and Wall since he's all magic, unlike Sealion.

Hydra, despite having such similar mechanics to Sealion, seems to do less damage. I also think it doesn't use physical as much as Sealion, or if it does its physicals aren't as strong as Sealion's.

Tornado spams Savage Firaga in very weak + enrage, so that's a risky proposition. Could work, though.

I liked the turtle run where they just left him in human form and relied on radiant shield for damage.

The post i saw on reddit showed him in Tornado form with the timer maxed out at 99:59, so I don't think he ever spams Savage Firaga. He just uses it sooner after entering the form once he enrages, but still not more than once.

Balphon

Golem is only complicated if you're trying to use a physical team. Raging Storm/Gust/Phantasm/Tiamat/Meltdown are your friends.

You just cut out about half the available abilities, and you still have AoE interrupt to deal with.

I really don't see Bismark having the highest damage output. More varied elements, but not more damaging in my experience. Even less damage if you can bring a RES boost that stacks with Shellga and Wall since he's all magic, unlike Sealion.

Bismarck isn't all magical, though it is mostly that. Regardless, it has AoEs in four elements and doesn't have the lowered magic stat or longer ultimate attack lockout like Hydra and Sealion. Its damage potential really is highest.

Hydra, despite having such similar mechanics to Sealion, seems to do less damage. I also think it doesn't use physical as much as Sealion, or if it does its physicals aren't as strong as Sealion's.

That's probably true, but I don't think it's that huge of a difference, and the bigger problem with Hydra is the smaller amount of available abilities that deal earth damage. The latter issue should be helped a bit when we get Earthbringer and Gaia Rush.

The post i saw on reddit showed him in Tornado form with the timer maxed out at 99:59, so I don't think he ever spams Savage Firaga. He just uses it sooner after entering the form once he enrages, but still not more than once.

Liquid Flame Tornando in very weak form uses Savage Firaga every other turn. In very weak form while enraged Savage Firaga is basically all it uses.

If they are running the timer to max they are almost surely leaving it in human form.

Xetherion

You just cut out about half the available abilities, and you still have AoE interrupt to deal with.

Yes, his mechanics make physical abilities more difficult to succeed with, that was my point. The aoe interrupt isn't used often enough and doesn't have a high enough proc chance to be a big deal.

Bismarck isn't all magical, though it is mostly that. Regardless, it has AoEs in four elements and doesn't have the lowered magic stat or longer ultimate attack lockout like Hydra and Sealion. Its damage potential really is highest.

Checked the AI, you're right on this one. Though its one physical aoe has a relatively low multiplier, so you really don't need more than Protectga and Wall for it to be a relief from the magic attacks.

That's probably true, but I don't think it's that huge of a difference, and the bigger problem with Hydra is the smaller amount of available abilities that deal earth damage. The latter issue should be helped a bit when we get Earthbringer and Gaia Rush.

Checked the AI for this as well, and Hydra really does significantly less damage. Its only physicals are ST, and it also has a Gravity attack that has a low proc chance that only does CurrentHP damage, and it has a fairly high chance of using one of these lower damage moves even in its 3rd phase. This solidifies Hydra as the easiest to beat IMO, though Earth is admittedly harder to deal damage with there are NE options to help as well.

Liquid Flame Tornando in very weak form uses Savage Firaga every other turn. In very weak form while enraged Savage Firaga is basically all it uses.

If they are running the timer to max they are almost surely leaving it in human form.

Maybe they left it in Tornado form before it reached very weak phase, so it just stayed spamming self-Firaga only. My mistake on that one. Radiant Shield strat sounds like easiest way to go then.

Kenai

These conversations make me sad I don't have Radiant Shield. When is the next one? Maybe the banner won't suck.

Edit: looks like Cloud of Darkness BSB?

WarAdept

And as an addendum to my sub 30 Sealion runs above, it's nowhere near as stable as Falk's.
A simple too many AoE's and I'm done for...
..or a Wing on Sabin on Sealion's 2nd turn for 6k.

Funny how the tiniest change to your strat can make a super wobbly run turn into a fairly stable one.

Been farming sub 30 Sealion with the exact same party now with much more consistency.

The only change?

Who I used Wall with (From Eiko to Sabin).

Kenai

Meant to ask before. I did a pull trying to get stuff for FF4 and got no BSBs (again) but got Rosa USB. I can tell this is good (used to use Selphie's SSB and this is better in every way) but I have nothing else for her except a random plain SB. She was only lvl 51, so she's got no Spheres or Dives or anything and I doubt I can afford to Dive her anytime soon (I already know she uses Wisdom and they will probably have Dexterity in there too because f*ck me). She can Wrath though so that might not matter? Do I just use Wrath and USB as needed or will I actually need more for her (think her BSB is on the list for the Fest). I had my heart set on Kain BSB but eh...

WarAdept

Meant to ask before. I did a pull trying to get stuff for FF4 and got no BSBs (again) but got Rosa USB. I can tell this is good (used to use Selphie's SSB and this is better in every way) but I have nothing else for her except a random plain SB. She was only lvl 51, so she's got no Spheres or Dives or anything and I doubt I can afford to Dive her anytime soon (I already know she uses Wisdom and they will probably have Dexterity in there too because f*ck me). She can Wrath though so that might not matter? Do I just use Wrath and USB as needed or will I actually need more for her (think her BSB is on the list for the Fest). I had my heart set on Kain BSB but eh...

Congratulations! You have the best medica in the game!

Nothing comes close, Ace Striker/Battleforged RM with x2 Wrath spam is all she needs.

Her LD sucks pretty bad, but if you just want to do her normal RD (since we should all have a good amount of 4* motes now) go right ahead.

Came back to this after six months. Good to see my A-Team can still wreck shit up to Ultimate+, without the need for Legend Materia or other new mechanics I haven't touched yet. Was super thrilled for Cid's "free" 14 Mythril and the new ones available for dailies.

I think I can safely collect Mythril and ignore draws until I can get the bearings in the new meta. Should have a decent amount by the time a Christmas fest rolls around. Good luck to all of you folks.

Yeah, those were pointless battles, frankly. It 'did take me two tries at the moment, but that's because the first try the leader dumped the second healer and tried to rely on my USB yuna only. Not enough healing there, unfortunately.

Xetherion

Came back to this after six months. Good to see my A-Team can still wreck shit up to Ultimate+, without the need for Legend Materia or other new mechanics I haven't touched yet. Was super thrilled for Cid's "free" 14 Mythril and the new ones available for dailies.

I think I can safely collect Mythril and ignore draws until I can get the bearings in the new meta. Should have a decent amount by the time a Christmas fest rolls around. Good luck to all of you folks.

There's a fest starting in a few days, so you came back at a good time actually.

I wonder when designing this Tactics event it was delayed or something. On the one hand it is the first event where the Jump start boss has different stats to the A+ version (AI has usually been slightly different) but the bonus battles seem like the something form when we had U+ (Cid missions used to be on these and the last few I can recall were Summon OSB RW twice > victory) almost like it was designed back then and put on a shelf for a few months (maybe the character introduced wasn't ready or they decided others should come first).

Then again Torments have a few difficulty irregularities with the FFII having Jump start much weaker than D250.

Bring Ramza to the multiplayer if you want a few comfort breaks :)

Kenai

D180 Meliadoul has less HP than D110 Meliadoul.

Zalmour is also much weaker than he should be.

So yeah, somebody fucked up.

Yea I was all good to go on him with my crutch Team Holy and he folded like a wet paper bag. He can't survive 2 OSBs from...anything. Usually jump starts take at least 4

WarAdept were you using Cloud and Eiko in a MP raid by any chance?

What a buggy mess it was on my end. Animations started playing at the wrong speed, the bosses HP bar vanished and I saw the Panello I was controlling take 8k damage faint but then be healed and get up on full health (I guess last stand procced and something had desynced on my end because I saw Guardian Mog used after that happening).

Also I think the OK in the party had shelga equipped but didn't use it then has the cheek to go ... when I used Vaan entry on the summoner.

WarAdept

WarAdept were you using Cloud and Eiko in a MP raid by any chance?

What a buggy mess it was on my end. Animations started playing at the wrong speed, the bosses HP bar vanished and I saw the Panello I was controlling take 8k damage faint but then be healed and get up on full health (I guess last stand procced and something had desynced on my end because I saw Guardian Mog used after that happening).

Also I think the OK in the party had shelga equipped but didn't use it then has the cheek to go ... when I used Vaan entry on the summoner.

Haha yeah that was me.

I'm assuming the host had a really poor connection, because I had all those problems. Was waiting in the wings with Eiko's Last Stand ready to go, but the crazy desyncs made it super hard.

The raid after that one was smooth though. Gotta love PuGs.

I got Mustadio's BSB in the Lucky Draw. Since the first burst ability removes Machinist ability delay for 2 turns, would honing something like Rapid Fire be worth it?

Xetherion

I got Mustadio's BSB in the Lucky Draw. Since the first burst ability removes Machinist ability delay for 2 turns, would honing something like Rapid Fire be worth it?

Rapid Fire no. Tempest Snipe maybe, if you can boost Lightning damage with Lightning+ gear or Imperil Lightning soul breaks.

I don't have his bsb but I have his ssb pentabreak so I'll usually pair a breakdown with rapid fire. I have all three 5* machinist skills at r3 and they are good fillers for cm usage, if you can spit out faster abilities, it would. E interesting to play with. I guess try it out on r1 and if you want more uses hone it. I would, but I refresh like crazy during orb fests. Very itchy right now for the orbfest...

Mustadio's BSB CMD2 is also a def break of sorts so that might get some use.

So in Japan revamped story dungeons are here. More orbs (seems like older the dungeon bigger the difference, some people advocate waiting six months to do any dungeons but well...) and the RWs have changed:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/711m16/revamped_rw_system_for_story_dungeons/
So not realm themed at all. If you're doing D<70 you probably don't have shelga or protectga yet so it makes sense having those old hastegas there. It's going to weird people jumping to events and possible seeing comments like "I've refreshed the list 15 times and not seen one Lunatic High" *whispers Hyper Mighty G into ear*

Rubenov

Since I read about the upcoming buff to ninja abilities, decided to YOLO and hone away the new ninja water abilities (reflecting pol, raging waters), thinking I would be ready when the buff comes.

Welp, decided to give Liquid Flame a go and the Tidus chain / Edge ninja combo allowed me to sub-30 it for the first time. I guess I didn't even need a buff, just the threat of a buff!

I'm seriously considering pulling tomorrow for Shadow USB to pair up with the upcoming ninja dark abilities. They're good.

Since I read about the upcoming buff to ninja abilities, decided to YOLO and hone away the new ninja water abilities (reflecting pol, raging waters), thinking I would be ready when the buff comes.

Welp, decided to give Liquid Flame a go and the Tidus chain / Edge ninja combo allowed me to sub-30 it for the first time. I guess I didn't even need a buff, just the threat of a buff!

I'm seriously considering pulling tomorrow for Shadow USB to pair up with the upcoming ninja dark abilities. They're good.

Nice! I’ve had edge occasionally pull off 4x 9999 on liquid flame, it’s something. I have that at r3, the blink at r1, but can use eiko bsb cid 1 for more phys blinks.

QpZMx6M.png

My mythril :(

Top Bottom