• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

addik

Damn, Hellthunder is OP. I went through several Expert Trials with it equipped to Rem, and it made the missions so much easier.

Then suddenly my rank changed, and I can no longer use it. FML. How can I deal...

Geg

Some concerns going forward.
Where is Rubrum getting the resources for such lengthy and massive campaigns?
I hope Milites get expanded on some more so as to avoid being the evil for the sake of evil bad guys.

Some of the soldier NPCs you can talk to in Ingram in Chapter 4 give some insight on why Milites is doing what it's doing, but they're mostly NPCs who use up free time, so most people are going to want to do the cutscenes and talk to Class 0 members instead of talk to them. I didn't read any of them until my second playthrough.

Cid has some secret reasons that are kind of touched on later, but the gist of what the NPCs there tell you is
The White Tiger Crystal's power is waning, and that combined with Milites's poor natural resources (their whole part of the world map is barren and frozen) means there's a food and energy crisis. One of the soldiers says he's afraid the whole country will die out soon unless they steal resources from other nations, particularly Rubrum.

so just got the game and my god you guys weren't kidding abut the camera. its fine when you stand still and move but if you're moving and you turn the camera its like its on max sensitivity. also the textures on... wel everything in the opening cgi with the chocobo :x dang thats bad.

Cloudy

Banned
so just got the game and my god you guys weren't kidding abut the camera. its fine when you stand still and move but if you're moving and you turn the camera its like its on max sensitivity. also the textures on... wel everything in the opening cgi with the chocobo :x dang thats bad.

Trust me, you'll get used to it. Go back to the start of the thread and I was bitching the most lol

I find it kinda absurd
Rubrum had the resources left to conquer all of Orience and defeat multiple nations.

Anyway, I'm closing on the end and-
Oh my god they killed off Aria for real this time and it was even crueler than the first time. Like, fuck...
It is easily miss-able to since I barely noticed it in the Rubicus.
Everything seems happy and resolved, then freaking tall alien demon things just slaughtered the hell out of everything I called home.

Fucking hell man, this game really is something. It is way more ambitious than I'd ever expect out of any handheld game.

Trust me, you'll get used to it. Go back to the start of the thread and I was bitching the most lol

Yeah no kidding. At the beginning it was almost sickening but now almost no big deal at all.

Ray Down

Banned
Sincerely unless you re trying to do missions supposed to be done on the 2nd playthrough there's no much grinding at all in this game.

Hell during your second playthough you can set it on the easiest difficulty to breeze though it to get the new missions.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Hell during your second playthough you can set it on the easiest difficulty to breeze though it to get the new missions.

I'm going to start a 2nd playthrough soon. Just one question: if I play at higher difficulty do I get more exp from battles or not?

KanameYuuki

Oh man, the ending hit me really hard,
Everything was pure sadness, then they just start to smile and look into the future and as soon as Machina enters the classroom and he changes his look T~T it was heartbreaking, and all with BUMP OF CHICKEN.

Also loved that little text with Machine and his wife.

Amazing gameplay and I loved everyone from Class Zero, all of them were so different on their play styles and personality, I didn't like Machina at all. Cinque was lovely she was my fav girl and I must pick Trey as my fav guy. Eight with Phantom Rush was boss.

Everything was pure sadness, then they just start to smile and look into the future and as soon as Machina enters the classroom and he changes his look T~T it was heartbreaking, and all with BUMP OF CHICKEN.

Amazing gameplay and I loved everyone from Class Zero, all of them were so different on their play styles and personality, I didn't like Machina at all. Cinque was lovely she was my fav girl and I must pick Trey as my fav guy. Eight with Phantom Rush was boss.

Yeah, Machina is the worst. Everyone else is likeable.

Is a second playthrough really that worthwhile?
Supposedly new cutscenes and stuff but enough to merit a run through of the entire game again?

Yeah, Machina is the worst. Everyone else is likeable.

I find it hard to think... Cinque as being likeable.

Supposedly new cutscenes and stuff but enough to merit a run through of the entire game again?
Considering every mission, I think, has an alternate one I would suggest at least one more run through the game. And if you didn't do the expert trials those are pretty fun. It's almost as if the game is divided into two (three?) parts!
I find it hard to think... Cinque as being likeable.

cinquecrying.gif

Depends how much you like the gameplay I guess. There are new missions and new cutscenes and a bit more on the story, but it's mainly to play the new missions and expert trials really.

Considering every mission, I think, has an alternate one I would suggest at least one more run through the game. And if you didn't do the expert trials those are pretty fun. It's almost as if the game is divided into two (three?) parts!

Depends how much you like the gameplay I guess. There are new missions and new cutscenes and a bit more on the story, but it's mainly to play the new missions and expert trials really.

I liked the gameplay, characters, and story.
Mmkay, maybe I'll give it another go but after something else. I mean, I should probably play that XV demo that came with right?
Can't let that little thing go to waste.

On a side note, I think I can add a name to my favourite game directors.
The last FF I enjoyed was Crisis Core. And guess who directed that game and what his next project was after that.

AmanoBuff

I liked the gameplay, characters, and story.
Mmkay, maybe I'll give it another go but after something else. I mean, I should probably play that XV demo that came with right?
Can't let that little thing go to waste.

On a side note, I think I can add a name to my favourite game directors.
The last FF I enjoyed was Crisis Core. And guess who directed that game and what his next project was after that.

I'm glad you like Tabata-san's work. He is a fantastic director. Especially considering what he achieved working on a console as limited as the PSP.

He is also among my favorite game directors out there. Even though he didn't get the recognition he deserved at first mainly due to directing only 'portable' titles. Hopefully his work on FFXV will change that.

Exentryk

So just started this on the PS4. Wtf did they do to the camera? It's unplayable. The PSP version had a decent camera, so what the hell happened?

Man, I might just play on the emulator, but that one doesn't let you rotate camera with the right stick. =/

Can someone answer my question plz

The one about experience? Well, I haven't tried it yet myself, but I don't see why you wouldn't get more experience if you are playing on a difficulty higher than officer considering the actual enemy levels will be 30-50 levels higher than usual, but I'm not sure.

Can I warp or am I stuck walking around like an idiot?

Do you mean when you have more time left before a mission and have nothing to do? You can go to the command center and talk to someone to start the next mission immediately.

addik

Finally got around to finishing this game at around 35 hours :p

Man that ending got me. I wasn't tearing up or anything, but I just felt really bad for Class 0. I really did like the bunch, even Cinque. That scene where they were planning on what to do after the war was really well-acted and well-scripted. It was such an emotional scene.

I really didn't get how Class 0 died though. They were wounded and all coming back to Rubrum, but they seemed to be pretty fine, unless it had something to do with their phantoma and the fact that they were just on borrowed time thanks to Rem and Machina?

Speaking of which, I hated how the mythology was presented in Type-0. You could really see that they didn't want to do much about it at all, but understanding the plot and the motivations behind the characters hinged on knowing the mythology that they really shouldn't have hidden all those in the archives/NG+. It's either that or solely focus on war, which would have been better.

Other than that, I love LOVE the game. Enjoyed the battle system, I enjoyed its atmosphere. I love the characters, except Machina (of all the FUCKING characters, HE GETS THE HAPPY ENDING????). I wished we would have seen more of Rem as a L'cie 'cause she seemed so bad-ass then.

Speaking of Machina, the ending does not say who his wife is, although the fanwikis say that it's Rem. Was it something that they mistranslated (like the "he/it chose you?" in Kingdom Hearts 2), or is it fan speculation at this point?

I'm planning on NG+ playthrough in the months to come, lol. I gotta start focusing on my work for now (and playing through Life is Strange once I get my US PSN code :p )

Ray Down

Banned
So just started this on the PS4. Wtf did they do to the camera? It's unplayable. The PSP version had a decent camera, so what the hell happened?

Man, I might just play on the emulator, but that one doesn't let you rotate camera with the right stick. =/

You get use to it after awhile.

Soooooo I finished my first playthrough and:

Please tell me there is a better ending waiting for me in the second playthrough? I can't do it another time if it ends like that again...

Soooooo I finished my first playthrough and:

Please tell me there is a better ending waiting for me in the second playthrough? I can't do it another time if it ends like that again...

The story is better explained and there is a different ending that i think you will like better

Cloudy

Banned
There's some ridiculousness in this game. I was fighting the Chapter 4 boss and he kills everyone but Machina but since I had no ranged attack equipped, there was no way to finish him off even though he was down for the count. So I have to do that fight again lol

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just beat the game, this game has to have one of the worst stories I've ever experienced. It's very rare that a game throws more than a dozen characters at you and there's none that you care about.

Overall, I think the game should have received lower scores than it got, I didn't enjoy it too much and I thought the short FFXV demo was better than all of Type 0.

Thankfully FFXV has a different writer than Type 0.

There's some ridiculousness in this game. I was fighting the Chapter 4 boss and he kills everyone but Machina but since I had no ranged attack equipped, there was no way to finish him off even though he was down for the count. So I have to do that fight again lol

I found that happened a lot. You were even more shit out of luck if you had no MP left but had to fight an airborne monster.

Cloudy

Banned
I found that happened a lot. You were even more shit out of luck if you had no MP left but had to fight an airborne monster.

And you can't go in the menu and equip a spell without a save point -_-

Beat the game and got the platinum trophy. Fun combat system, but JFC, that was one of the worst presented games I've ever played. If this is Tabata's directorial vision, I have huge concerns for FF15.

The story continuously jumps around and provides no motivations for any of the characters. Do they expect me to replay the game to find out basic plot details like what the fuck is up with uh... the whole ending? FF13 had an issue with leaving out a lot of mythology and including it in datalogs, but this game takes it a step further into complete bullshit.

Why did Cater keep having deja vu?
Who is Mother?
Who is Class Zero and why can they use magic without the crystal?
When the hell did Machina leave to become a l'Cie? Why did Rem become a l'Cie?
What was Cid's goal?
Who the hell were the Rursus things or whatever?
Why did I refight Gilgamesh in the very end?
Why do they forget people when they die?
Who or what is Etro?

And a million more questions!

God, this game was so fucking bullshit, rofl.

Story: F
Characters: F
Gameplay: B

Einbroch

Banned
Yeah, I'm actually just skipping every cutscene. After 6 hours, the voice acting, presentation, and actual story are insufferable. But the gameplay is hella fun.

Go_Ly_Dow

I just finished the game and I'm left seriously confused by the game plots and conclusion.

-How did the class all die?

-Who the hell are Joker and Tiz in that extra ending video?

-Who is Dr Alrecia?

-What are the real motivations for Cid?

-Who was that armoured guy who watched Cid stab himself?

-Where did the Chancellor go?

-Who are Machina and Rem, why were they apart for so long? What makes them special?

I'm sure there's more but overall the plot was presented in quite a convoluted way and it's left me confused to the point I can't summarize it!

...great gameplay and OST tho.

I just finished the game and I'm left seriously confused by the game plots and conclusion.

-How did the class all die?

-Who the hell are Joker and Tiz in that extra ending video?

-Who is Dr Alrecia?

-What are the real motivations for Cid?

-Who was that armoured guy who watched Cid stab himself?

-Where did the Chancellor go?

-Who are Machina and Rem, why were they apart for so long? What makes them special?

I'm sure there's more but overall the plot was presented in quite a convoluted way and it's left me confused to the point I can't summarize it!

...great gameplay and OST tho.
-They died because they got beat up. Look at the last cutscene again, they're almost dead. And at that time they didn't have Arecia to revive them.

-Long answer for this one basically goes into the FNC, but they were just two people who helped Arecia.

-I wrote the FNC stuff (if you care) a few pages ago. But she's basically a "l'Cie" who's above everyone else. She created the crystals and Class Zero.

-Cid wanted control of the crystals because the crystal of his nation was almost depleted after they used it to make their technology. (fourth chapter they say that if I recall correctly, when you're at the imperial city)

-I don't remember this scene =P, but if it's at the end of the game, that guy was the Arbiter (or whatever was the "official" translation for his name), he then uses Cid's body to fight Class Zero...

-Khalia? I don't know actually =P

-They're just normal cadets who were assigned to Class Zero (because the higher ups wanted someone who would spy on the class for them).
Like, almost every answer there is in the game (first run through, no NG+ required), it's just not heavy handed...

Beat the game and got the platinum trophy. Fun combat system, but JFC, that was one of the worst presented games I've ever played. If this is Tabata's directorial vision, I have huge concerns for FF15.

The story continuously jumps around and provides no motivations for any of the characters. Do they expect me to replay the game to find out basic plot details like what the fuck is up with uh... the whole ending? FF13 had an issue with leaving out a lot of mythology and including it in datalogs, but this game takes it a step further into complete bullshit.

Why did Cater keep having deja vu?
Who is Mother?
Who is Class Zero and why can they use magic without the crystal?
When the hell did Machina leave to become a l'Cie? Why did Rem become a l'Cie?
What was Cid's goal?
Who the hell were the Rursus things or whatever?
Why did I refight Gilgamesh in the very end?
Why do they forget people when they die?
Who or what is Etro?

And a million more questions!

God, this game was so fucking bullshit, rofl.

Story: F
Characters: F
Gameplay: B

Slightly watered down explanations follow:

• Cater was having deja vu because she was remembering things that already happened from a previous 'spiral' or cycle where this whole thing repeats itself beginning and ending with Tempus Finus.
  • Mother, Dr Arecia, is a member of Rubrum's Consortium of Eight and a deity that follows the will of Pulse (the god) and Lindzei with the objective of finding Etro's Gate.
  • Class Zero was handpicked and trained by Dr. Arecia outside of Akademia. They are Arecia's method of finding Etro's Gate, using a small number of chosen to become Agito. They're unaffected by the jammer because they don't draw their magic from the Vermillion Bird crystal.
  • I could have sworn there was a cutscene that explained how Machina became a l'Cie towards the end of the game. Nonetheless, he
    finds Qun'mi, the Byakko l'Cie, while he went out to be angsty and she transferred her power to him.
  • Cid wishes to become Agito, which is only possible after one crystal state dominates the other three. Even though Rubrum goes on to do this instead of the White Tiger it's still a victory condition for him. He is later possessed by Dr. Arecia's equivalent, Gala, who wishes to find Etro's Gate as well but opts to force it open using the same method described in FFXIII and XIII-2, killing a great number of people so the flood of souls forces the gate open.
  • The Rursus serve as Gala's army during Tempus Finus with the objective of killing as many people as possible to force open Etro's Gate.
  • That isn't the actual Gilgamesh just as that wasn't the actual Rubrum, Milites, or Concordia during that sequence. Mind games.
  • They forget because the crystals prevent them from remembering the dead. As for why the crystals do that, Arecia has some control over them.
  • Etro is the goddess of death and chaos in the FNC mythology. I don't believe she has any major role in Type-0 in comparison to the other gods, Pulse and Lindzei, and her role in the FFXIII trilogy.
tl;dr:
Gala and Arecia were created by Lindzei and Pulse to find Etro's Gate. Arecia wishes to do so via Class Zero becoming Agito and Gala wishes to do so via the Rursus which kill the people of Orience to create a flood of souls and force the gate open.This can only happen during Tempus Finus, which is brought on by one crystal state dominating the other three. If neither succeeds we get another failed spiral and the cycle repeats. Cid was simply Gala's tool after Tempus Finus began.

With that said, on some level I like that the games belonging to the Fabula Nova Chrystallis mythos don't go out of the way to explain just what the hell is going on. To me that is more believable than having a character explain why the sky is blue. I don't really like when a game, or story, takes the time to explain things that just are. But on the other hand one must be somewhat knowledgeable about the mythology in order to understand it and I can see how that can be an undesirable quality in a story.

After my first playthrough there were a number of cutscenes that were unlocked in the Crystarium that didn't play during the game; I'm not entirely sure why. They explained some things and it would be somewhat helpful to view those. Speaking to the NPC's during downtime also reveals some of the mythos as well. The game is clearly meant to be played at least twice.

I got those
Deja Vu
hints pretty clearly. Wasn't even a subtle attempt at suggesting a
looping timeline cycle thing.
Among other things like
why Machina became a L'Cie, did you miss the cutscene where he literally spelled it out?

Some other things though, fair enough, could be explained better. Like what the hell was up with the Doc.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The normal ending to this is horse shit to be honest. So many holes and unanswered questions.

Like Nier and Drakengard, they expect second playthroughs. They answer all your questions(or most of them)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
A lot of stuff that you don't see is in the Crimson Codex. Or whatever they call it in the localization.

Lots of historical stuff too.

The GILGAMESH you fight at endgame isn't him. But it does embody his deepest thoughts after the Ultima Bomb hit. Also serves to imply he withstood the bomb and went out of his way to fight off the Milites Army by himself. The internal monologues he gives off basically state that the Ultima Bomb was a terrible thing, and that his Soul is screaming for vengenance.

However even at the end of everything the game gives you there is no clear explanation what happens to GILGAMESH after his defeat by Machina. Since the bonus boss form implies he didn't die but runs through the Void challenging people and taking their stuff. And in the credits you see the remnants of the Genbu Armor and all the weapons he collected. GILGAMESH himself is no longer in Orience. So it's quite a mystery. Since this is basically GILGAMESH'S place of origin this places him as a very tragic figure.

I wrote a large theoretical thing on GILGAMESH in this game when the Japanese release came out and despite the translation being iffy in places it still stands.

Wagram

Isn't it funny how
two antagonists had good intentions in the fabula nova crystallis series but went about their practice the completely wrong way.

I feel like SE should have made one game before XIII and Type-0 to explain the entirety of the FNC (something like a FFI of the FNC). I'm pretty sure XIII would have been way more 'accepted' if they did it...

The mythology was actually pretty fun to learn, too bad they misused it.

Maybe that's what Versus was always meant to be lol

Wagram

Am I the only one who really hates Machina? The
ending makes it even worse.

Just an overall dumb character that doesn't
deserve the fate he obtains.

Cloudy

Banned
20 hrs in and I just started Chapter 5. This game is really impressive when you consider it was a PSP title.

I wish they didn't leave in some of the PSP cutscenes though. WTF is up with that? So jarring compared to other cutsenes lol

PS: I haven't been having any difficulty issues since I'm utilizing the secret training and leveling everyone :)

Top Bottom