• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Type-0 Official Trial Version Thread

Jeels

Get em while they're hot!

Qjq2H.png
Vjn1n.png
cOT8M.png
aOPx7.png
UBEO4.png
lrczp.png
ttX77.png
x5Dcu.png
GU8hK.png
960Jy.png
pVLQp.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshichan said:
On media blackout for this game... but is this game satisfyingly hard?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh that makes me so damn hyped! I don't know how much you guys know about the story, but is it good so far? (no spoilers!!)

That's all I wanted to know, back to media blackout!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
kiryogi said:
I'm really curious. Has anyone been able to clear the last mission without summoning?
Yup. Dodge, dodge, dodge, magic, kill sight, using long-range people... It takes a bit of patience.

I'm trying to grind Machina and Sice up to level 20 to see if I can finally do it with a short-range attacker, though. I want to S-Rank that mission.

Sorry to say I made Summer Rem and insta-claimed it without sharing with anybody. I'll change if somebody else had an avatar like mine already, I didn't know or know how to check without clicking every single profile. >_>

If anybody wants Summer Uniform Ace and it hasn't been taken, then here you go.
CYPPC.png

I wonder why Trey doesn't get much spotlight. I mean you can see his potrait in the trial. Actually you can see everyones at the merchant guy in the city now that I think of it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Flying Wonkey said:
I wonder why Trey doesn't get much spotlight. I mean you can see his potrait in the trial. Actually you can see everyones at the merchant guy in the city now that I think of it.

Not every character has been announced yet.

Astery

for anyone who have difficulties on mission 4, here are my tips on how I get through it, hopefully they can help you:

- Right from the beginning head to the right side of the map, staying at right where you start isn't a good idea as most of the time you'll get mobbed fast. I recommend to the right because it's easier to determine the location of where the map boundary is for me.

- Lure out and kill the smaller mechs one by one first, and aim for the critical attacks that will put them down in 1 hit.

- Use lightning SG on the bigger mechs as they are the most effective against them, and it takes much less time overall.

- Machina's spin drive attack and Ace are both great against the soldiers imo as the soldiers' melee attacks can do one hit kills.

- Lastly, just don't get mobbed and you'll be pretty safe.

Ok, so this game is all sorts of awesome held back by its camera controls. It feels like it should be on the vita or ps3 because of controls alone. With the PSPs limited buttons this game will struggle to not feel broken.

None the less, I really like it. I really, really hope it gets an NA release. Port it to another system for all I care, just make it happen.

Dunan

Dark Schala said:
Did you notice any Latin lexical items in any other areas? I'm trying to look for traces of any others.

Aeana's right. It's peristylium for what is basically an open colonnade or peristyle.

I know there are a few more, but offhand I can remember Oriens ("the East") as one of the countries and Rubrum ("red") as another. There are some soldiers called milites; this is probably a shout-out to FF7's "SOLDIER".

I found the word peristylum in lesson V of Familia Romana with a big old picture of one too. Interestingly, this book uses peristȳlum as opposed to peristȳlium (and it's not a typo because it's inflected as peristȳlō later).

Also, an important tip if everyone hasn't discovered it already: don't kill the underlings if there's a boss around. Leaving them alive -- and I imagine that in this blood-soaked game this really means "not dead", not just "not knocked out" -- will cause them to hold their hands up in surrender and to give you items when you talk to them that are much more valuable than a single piece of Phantoma. I got a bottle of rare White Tiger from one, and others gave out great power-up items that heal you, give you status buffs, and the like. Let your enemies live!

Aeana

Milites is the Byakko empire. Rubrum is the Suzaku nation. The others are Lolica and Concordia. Oriens is the name of the "world" that these areas are all in.

Sorry to be nitpicky!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i wanna see ifrit, he will be my avatar one day.

<3 me some ifrit.

also i saw HD screens, how? does this work on an emulator or something?

Aeana

Tiduz said:
i wanna see ifrit, he will be my avatar one day.

<3 me some ifrit.

also i saw HD screens, how? does this work on an emulator or something?
Those screenshots were from the emulator JPCSP, I think.

Dunan

Aeana said:
Milites is the Byakko empire. Rubrum is the Suzaku nation. The others are Lolica and Concordia. Oriens is the name of the "world" that these areas are all in.

Sorry to be nitpicky!

No problem (and Dark Schala, feel free to correct my Latin also; you know more about Romance languages than I do).

Concordia means "harmony", right?

Is it lolica or lorica (a kind of Roman armor)?

Is Milites the name of the empire of Byakko ("White Tiger"), or just their army? I probably assumed it was just the army because of the underlying meaning of the word.

Aeana

Sorry, yes, I think it is Lorica.
And no, Milites is the name of the place.

&#26417;&#38592;&#38936;&#12523;&#12502;&#12523;&#12512; - Suzaku Fiefdom of Rubrum
&#12511;&#12522;&#12486;&#12473;&#30343;&#22269; - Milites Empire
&#12467;&#12531;&#12467;&#12523;&#12487;&#12451;&#12450;&#29579;&#22269; - Kingdom of Concordia
&#12525;&#12522;&#12459;&#21516;&#30431; - Lorica Alliance

I didn't see this mentioned, but I thought the game was dark as hell (In terms of brightness). I played it on the 4th brightness setting while chargingand it still looked very off. Which is kinda weird considering I can play all my PSP games on the lowest or 2nd lowest setting without any problems in visibility ;(

Any thoughts??
I'm playing on a PSP-1000 btw.

Skilletor

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
I didn't see this mentioned, but I thought the game was dark as hell (In terms of brightness). I played it on the 4th brightness setting while chargingand it still looked very off. Which is kinda weird considering I can play all my PSP games on the lowest or 2nd lowest setting without any problems in visibility ;(

Any thoughts??
I'm playing on a PSP-1000 btw.

Looked great on my go. I play on the 2nd brightness option.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
I know there are a few more, but offhand I can remember Oriens ("the East") as one of the countries and Rubrum ("red") as another. There are some soldiers called milites; this is probably a shout-out to FF7's "SOLDIER".

I found the word peristylum in lesson V of Familia Romana with a big old picture of one too. Interestingly, this book uses perist&#563;lum as opposed to perist&#563;lium (and it's not a typo because it's inflected as perist&#563;l&#333; later).
Ah, so the only Latin in the demo is in visible Japanese text and cutscenes, huh? I was hoping that there would be some in signage a la FFXIII (I was trying to look around in Mission 1 and didn't really see anything, but I mostly got some of it from the cutscenes and text). But since we're talking about the Latin items in the text and cutscenes...

Seems like they're sticking really close to the Latin rather than the Italian, then. For some reason I kept thinking that they'd stick some Italian in there since it's pretty much a direct descendant of the language along with langue d'oc and langue d'oil. Since there seemed to have been some pseudo-French in FFXIII (and
Eclair
was French), I expected Agito Type-0 to have at least some Spanish or Italian. It would have been smart, but maybe I expected too much out of the FNC games in that manner.

I double-checked with my Cassell's Classical Latin dictionary. Peristylum is a colonnade surrounding the building. Peristylium is a court(yard) with a colonnade around it. So basically the peristylum is the columns (peri- (around) + stylos (Greek; column)), and the peristylium is the courtyard. Came from Greek architecture. But in some of the architectural books I looked at on Google Books, it looks like the words seem to be used interchangably now. Some shift in meaning must have happened in or before the Medieval Latin phase, because I was taught only peristylium for both the courtyard and columns in my Medieval Latin class.

Wow, that book uses macrons. I'd kill for macrons in some of the Latin readings I had in 4th year Latin. :(

Edit: oriens can also mean "dawn" or "sunrise" as well as "east".
SE is obviously not going to use participles, so I wouldn't think they're going to use the form that means "appearing" or "originating", lol.

Dunan said:
Concordia means "harmony", right?

Is it lolica or lorica (a kind of Roman armor)?
Concordia means "harmony" or "union", yep!

It's lorica, -ae, which is basically body armour/a breastplate. There are different types of lorica (ex: lorica plumata, lorica squamata), Looks like they're just using military/battle terms for every nation like Aeana said.

A fiefdom comes from fief, which comes from the Old French fieu, fief, which came from either Medieval Latin fevum or feudom/feodum, -a. The "Suzaku Fiefdom of Rubrum" sounds better than cramming all that Latin in there (with declensions and everything; they have the neuter declension of rubrum, so they could get away with sneaking feodum in there and adding rubri to it).

Dunan

Dark Schala said:
Ah, so the only Latin in the demo is in visible Japanese text and cutscenes, huh? I was hoping that there would be some in signage a la FFXIII (I was trying to look around in Mission 1 and didn't really see anything, but I mostly got some of it from the cutscenes and text). But since we're talking about the Latin items in the text and cutscenes...

Right; all the Latin is coming in through katakana, which is why we players are left with the task of figuring out what the words really are (and sorting out R/L differences and the like).

So basically the peristylum is the columns (peri- (around) + stylos (Greek; column)), and the peristylium is the courtyard.

There's actually still one problem with it: why they're using &#12506;&#12522;&#12471;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; perishitiriumu and not &#12506;&#12522;&#12473;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; perisutiriumu. Any thoughts on that? Did the s sound change into an š in a dialect or medieval variant somewhere?

(Incidentally, thanks to FF T-0, Google now has many, many more hits for the seemingly-incorrect &#12506;&#12522;&#12471;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; perishitiriumu than &#12506;&#12522;&#12473;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; perisutiriumu.

55,000 for &#12506;&#12522;&#12471;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512;
3,410 for &#12506;&#12522;&#12473;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512;
1,990 for &#12506;&#12522;&#12473;&#12486;&#12517;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; (with y but no long vowel)
30 for &#12506;&#12522;&#12473;&#12486;&#12517;&#12540;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; (y and long vowel; probably the most accurate, classically)
1 (!) for &#12506;&#12522;&#12473;&#12486;&#12517;&#12540;&#12523;&#12512;, the word in Familia Romana; come on, Japanese people, learn to pronounce the letter upsilon!)

A fiefdom comes from fief, which comes from the Old French fieu, fief, which came from either Medieval Latin fevum or feudom/feodum, -a. The "Suzaku Fiefdom of Rubrum" sounds better than cramming all that Latin in there (with declensions and everything; they have the neuter declension of rubrum, so they could get away with sneaking feodum in there and adding rubri to it).

This is great; that means that fief has the same origin as English fee! (In German Vieh are livestock, but in English you can pay your fees in cash.)

Without being too pedantic about it, I really hope they get everything as "correct" as they can. It may just be a video game, but world-building is so much more convincing when the words, names, and places are internally consistent.

Dunan

Oh, almost forgot: signage.

So far all the signs they've shown us have been in the Byakko territory, and they're using an alphabet that they've made up for the game.

I've been having a go at deciphering it, but there isn't much to work with yet. I think that the stuff on the streets in the first mission says "STOP", and that the three letters at the bottom of the maps inside the building that you enter are "MAP". But other stuff doesn't make much sense; it might be placeholder stuff like ABCDEF and JKLMNO.

The second mission has no writing at all, and the third has some boxes that might say POINT:4 on them.

That's it so far. If anyone can get good screenshots of some of the smaller writing in the first mission, please post them! There's something in yellow/white above the doors to some of the outer buildings, and there's a lot in black on the walls both inside and outside. The screen is dark enough as it is, and when you pause, it only gets darker, so it's hard to make out!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
So far all the signs they've shown us have been in the Byakko territory, and they're using an alphabet that they've made up for the game.

I've been having a go at deciphering it, but there isn't much to work with yet. I think that the stuff on the streets in the first mission says "STOP", and that the three letters at the bottom of the maps inside the building that you enter are "MAP". But other stuff doesn't make much sense; it might be placeholder stuff like ABCDEF and JKLMNO.
So it's an entirely different script from Pulsian and Cocoonian, then (which I should have seen coming regardless). I wonder if the different territories have different script like in FFXIII? Latin alphabet-like script? I'm away from home at the moment, so I can't check.

There's actually still one problem with it: why they're using &#12506;&#12522;&#12471;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; perishitiriumu and not &#12506;&#12522;&#12473;&#12486;&#12451;&#12522;&#12454;&#12512; perisutiriumu. Any thoughts on that? Did the s sound change into an š in a dialect or medieval variant somewhere?
That's... kind of weird (using &#12471; vs &#12473;), actually.

Since before the Renaissance (and Latin was the second language of scholars in Europe), Latin phonology/pronunciation varied and depended on the native language of the speaker. There was no "correct" way to pronounce it then. It seems that is the case now. Eccelsiastical Latin, for example, is pronounced similarly to how you'd pronounce words in Italian (and this is for obvious reasons).

Because there was no instruction, "academy" or institutions at the time when Medieval Latin was "in use", Latin lost its cohesion or uniformity (some terms became interchangable, meanings shifted, some auxiliaries were used interchangeably, phonology shifted, etc).

/pe.&#633;i&#712;sty&#720;.li.um/ is the Classical Latin pronunciation.
/pe.&#633;i'sta&#618;.li.um/ and /p&#603;&#633;.&#618;'sta&#618;.li.um/ seem like common M. Latin (English) pronunciations to me, along with the CL pronunciation.

Post-Medieval and Post-Renaissance Latin (ie: New/Modern Latin) has no single correct pronunciation as a consequence of pronunciation during the Renaissance. For example, the palatalization of /k/ before /ae/, /e/, /i/, /oe/ or /y/; it turns into /s/ (French, Dutch, English, Spanish (and I'd expect Portuguese as well)), and turns into /t&#643;/ in Italian and Romanian. I was told that it turns into /ts/ in German, but I'm not sure about about that. So it's extremely different in a lot of places, and thus there is not a correct pronunciation of Latin anymore. If you're a purist, I guess you'd use the Classical pronunciation.

I know that was a bit of a non-answer. That /&#643;/ is starting to bother me because I don't think a lot of pronunciations would include it. I know /s/ is converted to /z/ before vowels in some dialects, but I'm not sure about esh at all. I don't remember reading that anywhere.

That seems really odd to me. Are there any languages that changes /s/ to /&#643;/ before /y/ or /ai/ (disregarding the stop)? Because Medieval Latin is classified as the Latin that was being spoken/written when it was being used in areas that never experienced Latin at all.

Aeana

More likely than not, the spelling of the word is due to misunderstanding more than anything else. Remember, Square is the company that had someone who thought &#12465;&#12450;&#12523; was the right way to write/pronounce "cure." Japanese people are notoriously bad at this stuff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: Wow, those captures look great.

Aeana said:
More likely than not, the spelling of the word is due to misunderstanding more than anything else. Remember, Square is the company that had someone who thought &#12465;&#12450;&#12523; was the right way to write/pronounce "cure." Japanese people are notoriously bad at this stuff.
I remember chuckling at that for a bit when I played FF5 SFC because I had always understood it as &#12461;&#12517;&#12450;. I'm glad they changed &#12465;&#12450;&#12523;&#12450; to Curasa in English.

You're probably right. Though I had thought it was uncommon. I remember &#12501;&#12457;&#12523;&#12473; being used for Force in Tales of Rebirth, though (yet &#12501;&#12457;&#12540;&#12473;&#12501;&#12451;&#12540;&#12523;&#12489; uses "force" correctly).

Same with &#12487;&#12472;&#12519;&#12531;. &#12487;&#12451;&#12478;&#12540;&#12531; or "&#12487;&#12478;&#12540;&#12531; would be more accurate.

yencid

Jesus christ this game is really pushing the psp isnt it.

jiggle said:
in some dire need of texture filter
i wonder if that's a problem with the emulator or the game

remember that the textures where never supposed to be seen at that size. when they are on a smaller screen they look cleaner

Lesiroth

Shiva looks even hotter here :p

I'm honestly surprised the ingame models had such a high-poly count. Wouldn't take much effort for a Vita up-port.
So is this is in a playable state?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'll be importing the Japanese version, but if they make it for Vita or PSP Remaster series, I'll buy it again!

Top Bottom