• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Type-0 Official Trial Version Thread

jimmypython

jiggle said:
wow these HD captures look fantastic :O
HDremaster nao plz!
http://gematsu.com/2011/08/final-fantasy-type-0-demo-hd-screenshots

Final-Fantasy-Type-0_2011_08-14-11_017.jpg

Final-Fantasy-Type-0_2011_08-14-11_019.jpg

Final-Fantasy-Type-0_2011_08-14-11_020.jpg

holy~SE, do this! please!!

Phenomic

Has anyone figured out how you unlock the Summer Clothing?

Not sure why I even want it because I doubt I could transfer it over to the US Version. Nor do I even have guarantees I can play it on the PSP even if it does make it to the West.

Just curious I guess what I should be looking out for.

RpgN

Phenomic said:
Has anyone figured out how you unlock the Summer Clothing?

Not sure why I even want it because I doubt I could transfer it over to the US Version. Nor do I even have guarantees I can play it on the PSP even if it does make it to the West.

Just curious I guess what I should be looking out for.

There are different ways to get all of them. Like finishing a quest, buying one in town, finishing missions, spare lives of some soldiers, finding them on the floor etc.

RedSwirl

jiggle said:
in some dire need of texture filter
i wonder if that's a problem with the emulator or the game

Honestly, I don't mind the pixelated textures, but that's just my weird preference.

jimmypython

how do you guys like the S.O. system?

for me, it is too harsh.

(1) it always bumps out during battles, and you have to open the window while the battle is still going on if you consider to accept. so there is NO time to read the requirements....

(2) fail to complete the mission always gets death penalty..this is too much.....

Astery

toleoring said:
how do you guys like S.O. system?

for me, it is too harsh.

SO is fine for me, u can ignore them if you don't feel comfortable opening them while you're in battle, or just hide away for a few seconds so you can read them safely.

Summons on the otherhand are worse IMO. After summoning, your character is a guaranteed death when the timer is up, so I haven't really use them much.

RedSwirl

Huh. Well that's the first time I've ever seen a PSP game crash.

Anyway, what team did this game? It feels more like a Kingdom Hearts/Versus XIII team action RPG than a traditional Final Fantasy but with a lot more depth I also actually don't mind the camera. I'm fine with just having a "center camera" button as a lot of Japanese games do. Could be worth it if it were released in a language that I could understand.

I'm also convinced that Square Enix have become wizards with the PSP hardware - and judging by FFXIII's visuals maybe in general (except when it comes to the Xbox 360). Maybe it's just that all the A-list Japanese teams developing on the PSP have been able to unlock it's full potential. Peace Walker looked amazing for a PSP game too if you ask me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RedSwirl said:
Huh. Well that's the first time I've ever seen a PSP game crash.

Anyway, what team did this game? It feels more like a Kingdom Hearts/Versus XIII team action RPG than a traditional Final Fantasy but with a lot more depth I also actually don't mind the camera. I'm fine with just having a "center camera" button as a lot of Japanese games do. Could be worth it if it were released in a language that I could understand.

I'm also convinced that Square Enix have become wizards with the PSP hardware - and judging by FFXIII's visuals maybe in general (except when it comes to the Xbox 360). Maybe it's just that all the A-list Japanese teams developing on the PSP have been able to unlock it's full potential. Peace Walker looked amazing for a PSP game too if you ask me.

Same team that did Crisis Core and 3rd Birthday.

warpaint

am not sure if i will import this but i will grab a copy when it come's to the west as i would like to know whats going on and what the story is i know i can just google stuff but where is the fun in that but them again i'll keep playing this demo

Dunan

WHOA at those screenshots!

Almost makes me want to toss aside my resale rights and buy the digital version so that it'll be playable on the Vita -- that really looks amazing. You can even see the pattern lines in Rem's socks
with zettai ryōiki just above
!

One question: is there any reason why the small fonts used in the character names and HP totals at the bottom seems to be pixel-perfect for the names and antialiased for the other things? They're different fonts - the names have gradients and use more colors - but are they being handled differently for some reason?

Regarding the S.O. system, I find it very annoying and difficult to deal with, not least because I can't read Japanese as quickly as I can read English, and since the game doesn't pase while you read, every fraction of a second counts.

It's probably way too late in development for this, but I'd prefer if the SO instructions were read to you, speakerphone style. It would be a little more realistic than having soldiers stopping on the battlefield to look at their cell phones.

(Actually, maybe not. Japanese people seem to have no compunctions about stopping in the middle of anything to look at their cell phones.)

Still, a distinctive chime followed by a voice coming through on the radio with the Special Orders would be better from a playability standpoint.

Dark Schala said:
I remember chuckling at that for a bit when I played FF5 SFC because I had always understood it as キュア. I'm glad they changed ケアルア to Curasa in English.

You're probably right. Though I had thought it was uncommon. I remember フォルス being used for Force in Tales of Rebirth, though (yet フォースフィールド uses "force" correctly).

Same with デジョン. ディゾーン or "デゾーン would be more accurate.

Hold on a minute; フォース isn't necessarily more "correct" than フォルス. Japanese favored British pronunciations when they first started teaching English before WWII, and words containing "r" after a vowel generally dropped it, RP-style, but the American pronunciation of "force" is closer to フォルス and I'm happy to see that. Similarly, ケアル is a pretty good approximation of "care" (which is what I initially assumed it came from).

Supposedly デジョン was a contraction of "de-" plus "dungeon", which makes sense in a way. In this no-longer-restricted-to-four-characters age, though, I wish they'd use a more realistic word.

That seems really odd to me. Are there any languages that changes /s/ to /ʃ/ before /y/ or /ai/ (disregarding the stop)? Because Medieval Latin is classified as the Latin that was being spoken/written when it was being used in areas that never experienced Latin at all.

I think I've found a possibility here: German changes /s/ to /ʃ/ before /t/ as a general rule, as opposed to English which only does it in /str/ clusters. Where we say "Stein" as [stain] in English, German says [ʃtain]. If German adopted and assimilated the word peristilium (with i rather than y; German has that latter sound with the u-umlaut), then that pronunciation could go into katakana as ペリシティリウム.

Even then, ペリシュティリウム, with "shu" instead of "shi", would probably be more likely. But it's an explanation, at least.

Aeana

Dunan said:
Hold on a minute; フォース isn't necessarily more "correct" than フォルス. Japanese favored British pronunciations when they first started teaching English before WWII, and words containing "r" after a vowel generally dropped it, RP-style, but the American pronunciation of "force" is closer to フォルス and I'm happy to see that. Similarly, ケアル is a pretty good approximation of "care" (which is what I initially assumed it came from).

Supposedly デジョン was a contraction of "de-" plus "dungeon", which makes sense in a way. In this no-longer-restricted-to-four-characters age, though, I wish they'd use a more realistic word.
Well, first, in the case of force, it's more of an issue of consistency than anything else. They shouldn't use both.

I've heard the "care" argument before, but to be honest it has always struck me as people trying to make excuses for infallible Japanese developers. And it's just as poor of an approximation of care as it is cure. Care should be written ケア. Fact is, though, that misapproximation of words in katakana is incredibly common so unless the person who came up with it says (as with the ones below), we'll never know.

As for デジョン, that is correct. It was actually talked about in an interview at one point. The meanings of エスナ and バスナ were also discussed there. (S-na and BS-na, S being status and BS being battle status).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
you need to decrypt the game to load it in an emulator, make an iso etc. i tried to make the iso with umdgen but it wont work for me, too bad, really wanted to check this out on emu instead of my psp

Niks

Those HD screens look good...
What are the chances of this game being available day one for the Vita launch?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Niks said:
Those HD screens look good...
What are the chances of this game being available day one for the Vita launch?

Hopefully the reason S-E USA/Europe has been quiet all year on it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Those HD screens show just how amazing the texture work and modelling is for a PSP game. (same with FFXII emulation).

A Vita release at a higher resolution is a must @_@!!!!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kagari said:
Hopefully the reason S-E USA/Europe has been quiet all year on it.
I've started to believe that this might be the case as well. But this is me being optimistic, of course. I’d love to buy this on Vita, even if I’m importing the JP version for PSP.

Dunan said:
Regarding the S.O. system, I find it very annoying and difficult to deal with, not least because I can't read Japanese as quickly as I can read English, and since the game doesn't pause while you read, every fraction of a second counts.

Still, a distinctive chime followed by a voice coming through on the radio with the Special Orders would be better from a playability standpoint.
I agree with this. I don't mind the SO system in terms of a quest system because sometimes they're kind of cool. But since I'm not as fluent in Japanese as I am in English or French, my reading skills aren't quick enough to read the mission objective sometimes either. I get that action is supposed to be fluid, especially taking multiplayer into account, but it'd be great if it the mission was read aloud to you at the very least.

And the penalty for failing the SO is a little harsh, but I can deal with that.

Is that so? That makes sense. I guess they want to stick with it for some sort of familiarity/consistency throughout the series. And yeah, "Force" is more of a consistency thing than anything else. It's odd that both are used for the same word in the same game series to me. Unless it's a phonological issue that I'm not aware of.

I think I've found a possibility here: German changes /s/ to /ʃ/ before /t/ as a general rule, as opposed to English which only does it in /str/ clusters. Where we say "Stein" as [stain] in English, German says [ʃtain]. If German adopted and assimilated the word peristilium (with i rather than y; German has that latter sound with the u-umlaut), then that pronunciation could go into katakana as ペリシティリウム.

Even then, ペリシュティリウム, with "shu" instead of "shi", would probably be more likely. But it's an explanation, at least.
But even if that theory makes sense (and it theoretically might be the case) why would they use the German pronunciation rather than a US/CDN/UK variant? It strikes me as a little odd.

When words are borrowed from different languages, primarily English words, would the phonology and pronunciation not be adopted from Standard English, or would it be the RP variant? I would expect that Latin items’ pronunciations would be adopted from SE or RP rather than other languages.

Perhaps we’re thinking too hard about it, and it’s just a misunderstanding. :lol

Aeana said:
The meanings of エスナ and バスナ were also discussed there. (S-na and BS-na, S being status and BS being battle status).
Huh. Was that in a Famitsu article or an ultimania? Interview sounds interesting.

Spiegel

It will be a crime if S-E don't release an upres version after seeing those screens. Looks absolutely amazing for a psp game.

I've tried the demo on the emulator but my pc can't handle it. I get 10/15 fps

warpaint

played a short bit of it last night, the controls are getting better for me as i am getting to know what i'm do if fight. The menu's are still a not go i have worked out how is save but thats about it are there any good places i can go to help me out

Dunan

Dark Schala said:
When words are borrowed from different languages, primarily English words, would the phonology and pronunciation not be adopted from Standard English, or would it be the RP variant? I would expect that Latin items’ pronunciations would be adopted from SE or RP rather than other languages.

They don't filter Latin words through English, if that's what you're asking; in general Classical Latin is used for Latin borrowings (so Cicero and Caesar are キケロ and カエサル, not チチェロ and チェーザル, though Shakespeare's play is ジュリウス・シーザー). Sometimes you'll see them use Italian pronunciations; in the subtitles to the "Rome" mini-series they called Vercingetorix ヴェルチンゲトリクス and not ウェルキンゲトリクス.

Perhaps we’re thinking too hard about it, and it’s just a misunderstanding. :lol

Surely this is the case. ^_^; But props to SE for making a game that looks fun and engaging enough for us to want them to get all the words right!

Huh. Was that in a Famitsu article or an ultimania? Interview sounds interesting.

I remember reading that エスナ and バスナ came from the initial sounds of 永久ステータスを無くす (eikyuu suteetasu o nakusu; remove permanent status (ailment) ) and バトルステータスを無くす (batoru suteetasu o nakusu; remove battle status (ailment) ). Could be wrong though.

warpaint

played abit more of this on the train into work today, think i've got a handle on the lock on still not to sure how to get stuff on guys i have killed can anyone let me know how to do that please

Dunan

warpaint said:
played abit more of this on the train into work today, think i've got a handle on the lock on still not to sure how to get stuff on guys i have killed can anyone let me know how to do that please

After you've killed them, lock on to the body using R for several seconds, until there's a faint red bean from your character's hand to the enemy's body. The Phantoma icon above the enemy will rotate 90°. When that happens, the Phantoma is "ready" for your to harvest it, so press Triangle, Square, or O and you've got it.

Note that you won't be able to lock on if there are still other enemies around who are attacking you. In some cases if you defeat the leader of a group of enemies, the others will surrender, hands over heads, and they'll give you valuable items if you talk to them.

warpaint

cheers for that Dunan, thought it would be something like that but i just was not able to work out how

Still working out the menus but i'm getting better at working them out

warpaint

have just done the first mission now i have 2 more moogles in the room
yeah me i do like i just would like to understand it alot more

Jeels said:
Get em while they're hot!

Qjq2H.png
Vjn1n.png
cOT8M.png
aOPx7.png
UBEO4.png
lrczp.png
ttX77.png
x5Dcu.png
GU8hK.png
960Jy.png
pVLQp.png

So this is the source of those cool avatars. :O Is there like a full res pic of each character?

The game just blows me away, seriously it looks awesome ... -drools-

If you want to deal mega damage to your foes in Final Fantasy Type-0, you have the option of calling out a summon like Shiva or Bahamut. The problem is, this will sacrifice your current character.

There's another option for those who just don't want to off someone as lovely as Sice. Jump has details this week on the game's group attack options . You can make your three party members team up to attack a single enemy. While these group attacks don't do as much damage as a summon, you can use them multiple times.

Jump introduces Straight Flash, Dead Ensemble and Crisis Arrow for Ace, Deuce and Trey. Nine, King and Queen have Hornet, Linear Rush and Zero Distance Shot.

Jump also has a look at Bahamut this week. Famitsu is scheduled to have a report in its next issue (on Type-0 and Final Fantasy XIII-2) so we can hopefully look forward to additional details in a few days.

Source: Andriasang

jimmypython

maybe it is just a part of Oriens that will be featuring in type-0....

just like titles of Ivalice series - every game has a map that is actually only a portion of the whole world...

and according to the official site, the four countries are located at the eastern part of the world...

so, more titles based on Oriens are coming?

Top Bottom