• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Demo Update "Dawn of a New Era" launches tomorrow at 7AM EST / 4AM PST / 1pm CET

Fbh

See the post above for a good idea of what it's doing. It doesn't look 1440p to me. closer to between 720p-1080p

Yeah I just saw the comparison shots on the purple forum.
Somehow it got even worse.

This is going back on the wait for sale list unless there's some improvement by launch.
Ps3 era image quality isn't worth $70.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The new level looks was better than the first. Lighting is beautiful and textures/asset quality is very high. The rocks look very detailed and the detail level on the ground is extremely impressive.

Color me surprised. I have no idea what happened with the flashback but this is a significant upgrade from the first game. Gorgeous stuff.

Emppu666

Neo Member
The new level looks was better than the first. Lighting is beautiful and textures/asset quality is very high. The rocks look very detailed and the detail level on the ground is extremely impressive.

Color me surprised. I have no idea what happened with the flashback but this is a significant upgrade from the first game. Gorgeous stuff.
Quality or performance mode?

saintjules

How's the texture/image quality in the performance mode now? They said they'll address it with this update.

I see no change personally. I was much closer to the TV this time though. I'll have to try it tonight at my usual sitting position and see, but the blurriness was noticeable from where I sat.

Quality mode I see. Which is fine. Very smooth. Will check it out

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Quality mode?
yeah, but like i said above, i played the first demo in quality mode and it looked like shit. the asset quality of the rocks and ground level detail is way higher in this level. not to mention the lighting but then again dusk time looks great in any game.

i dont know what happened with the demo but this looks way better. Maybe the Forspoken devs made the flashback sequence lol

Kumomeme

just finish it. quick short demo just to give taste of how exploration will be.

before Hamauguchi mention game like Ghost of Tsushima, Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn as inspiration and we can see trace of it in the demo.

the chocobo baby basically fox mechanic from GoT
loot style is kind of similliar to Horizon

havent see anything close to Witcher 3 yet. perhaps in full game.

the cushion mechanic is interesting lol. before Final Fantasy always has item like 'tent' or 'sleeping bag'.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not my screens but IQ aside (which in quality mode would be fine to 99% of people), the visuals look like a good step up from Remake.

Gone are the 2D mixed with 3D skyboxes and background from Remake and instead the geomtery looks far more complex and detailed. Also considering the size of the maps, boosts to geomtery complexity and trying to render the game up to native 2160p, I think we can see where the extra horsepower is being used for Rebirth on PS5 vs Remake on PS4.

XQFwsQ8.jpeg

WPS1Piv.jpeg

AWIqJeO.jpeg

Last edited:

Mindman

Performance mode looked slightly sharper to me. But not much... Come on, Square 😔 let's keep making noise and see if they properly fix it this time

wvnative

I really cannot fathom what happened here. Textures in the open hubs aside, Remake looked really good. Very high IQ and excellent HDR. This just looks ass.

Also, am I the only one who thinks, during gameplay, the character ANIMATIONS look worse? Like, more jerky compared to Remake 1? Just running in a straight line in both games, it looks like cloud has more animation frames in the first game.

This game is fundamentally flawed on a tech level, so don't expect any patches to magically improve it unless they do a PS5 pro patch. Just hope the finale (Part 3) learns lessons and looks better.

Arioco

Performance Mode looks worse than before.

The first demo just looked blurry. Now it looks blurry and pixelated at the same time. WTF Square!?

paolo11

I think they got rid of the blur filter and just straight nearest neighbor pixel scale it now. So yeah.

Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson
It’s still blurry and much worse than Remake’s performance mode. If they can make it as same as IQ for Remake , I’ll be happy . I don’t know if they will fix it though .

Brock2621

Not my screens but IQ aside (which in quality mode would be fine to 99% of people), the visuals look like a good step up from Remake.

Gone are the 2D mixed with 3D skyboxes and background from Remake and instead the geomtery looks far more complex and detailed. Also considering the size of the maps, boosts to geomtery complexity and trying to render the game up to naive 2160p, I think we can see where the extra horsepower is being used for Rebirth on PS5 vs Remake on PS4.

XQFwsQ8.jpeg

WPS1Piv.jpeg

AWIqJeO.jpeg
My gosh this looks incredible! Must. Resist. Playing.

SkylineRKR

Game looks good all things considered. Its essentially Remake set in a playfield thats 100 times bigger than that corridor game. Even the small demo part has more verticality and more freedom than the entirety of Remake. This game isn't going to look that much better than it does now. The scale is immense compared to Remake.

But having said that, this seems to be a rather average game on its own merits. It looks cluttered with waypoints and things taken straight out of Horizon but then worse and much less interactive. The gameplay is very limited, you can't jump for example. The open world seems to be another case of just grabbing things, and fight some special enemies for research purposes. I doubt the final game sidequest design goes far beyond this cookie cutter stuff. Its just not that kind of game. But its gameplay is rather bad because everything is automatic and the world is full of obstacles, debris and many things. Navigating it isn't really fun. Chocobos feel slow, and it seems you can't quickly jump off and strike an enemy for example. I think they are slow because this open world is likely fairly small compared to other open world games.

There have been much better open world games around ofcourse. But this is technically an RPG, and its FFVII. So I guess it delivers more than what we might've expected after Remake. But I don't think its going to be that good if you factor out the nostalgia goggles.

I think we will see very divided reviews. Gamers who weren't there in 1997 might think this is ho hum, and others gush over the fact its FFVII remade. I wonder.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Performance Mode looks worse than before.

The first demo just looked blurry. Now it looks blurry and pixelated at the same time. WTF Square!?

Yikes, looks like they changed the upscaling method for the worse.

Anyone got any before/after of same areas?

SkylineRKR

I really cannot fathom what happened here. Textures in the open hubs aside, Remake looked really good. Very high IQ and excellent HDR. This just looks ass.

Also, am I the only one who thinks, during gameplay, the character ANIMATIONS look worse? Like, more jerky compared to Remake 1? Just running in a straight line in both games, it looks like cloud has more animation frames in the first game.

This game is fundamentally flawed on a tech level, so don't expect any patches to magically improve it unless they do a PS5 pro patch. Just hope the finale (Part 3) learns lessons and looks better.

Yeah it feels like a cheap knockoff when in motion. I also don't like the menus in this game and they seem to be less responsive too. Remake was actually pretty slick.

Also, I can barely follow the combat now while this was the best part about Remake. Its very cluttered here. I enjoy the fights less so far.

Elios83

New area looks fantastic in quality mode, not so much in performance mode which continues to be super blurry.
I would never play with such image quality so for me it's pretty much a 30fps game.

paolo11

The worst part is that we are not sure if Square will address the blurry textures. If this is their “fix”, it’s a total letdown. I’ll stick to quality mode and get used to 30fps. I wish we can send feedback.

Go_Ly_Dow

Seeing so many comments saying that normal mode in Rebirth feels like hard mode in Remake. :messenger_hushed:

I felt Remake was harder than 16, but still pretty straightforward except for in boss fights. It sounds like they're going to bring the heat in this one.

I'll probably stick to Normal rather than Dynamic Normal or whatever the enemy scaling difficulty mode is called.
demo is awesome as expected. Looking better than 99% of all AAA games is a big plus.
Nice. :messenger_bicep:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Booted the demo. In performance mode I find the draw distance better now. However Cloud is still surrounded by heavy blurriness, specially in his face.

Maybe it is to hide how sad he looks :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

saintjules

I do not play it in performance mode so it could be both. 🤷‍♂️

I only played a few minutes this morning before I went to work, but based on some images, seems like graphics mode is fine.

But I was seeing two different rocks on the same floor. One was blurry and the other wasn't.

Weird what's going on, but in the heat of battle none of that matters anyway.

I only played a few minutes this morning before I went to work, but based on some images, seems like graphics mode is fine.

But I was seeing two different rocks on the same floor. One was blurry and the other wasn't.

Weird what's going on, but in the heat of battle none of that matters anyway.

Considering that's 30fps vs 60fps, there is not a big difference of sharpness between both. It's more blurry than quality but clearly less blurry than before. I'd say performance mode should be played here.

Most importantly assets / lighting quality is the same between both modes. Quality mode is not worthwhile IMO. It was looking already blurry before and now the gap is quite small between both.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Performance mode looks better to me. Was really blurry on my tv before but seems ok now.

But I'm right at the end of remake on PS5 performance mode and that definitely looks better

Last edited:

saintjules

Considering that's 30fps vs 60fps, there is not a big difference of sharpness between both. It's more blurry than quality but clearly less blurry than before. I'd say performance mode should be played here.

Most importantly assets / lighting quality is the same between both modes. Quality mode is not worthwhile IMO. It was looking already blurry before and now the gap is quite small between both.

I agree. I will be doing performance mode. I just wonder what they did here in terms of improvement that they've been boasting about it. I don't think there will be much improvement at launch unless this was an old build. I think it was?

This is definitely door 2.0, but I'm hoping that's not throughout the game.

Top Bottom