• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Demo Update "Dawn of a New Era" launches tomorrow at 7AM EST / 4AM PST / 1pm CET

Comandr

Really not loving the new Chadley and MAI monster data gathering thing. MAI talks non stop the entire fight with these monsters and it just feels like constant chatter getting in the way of an adventure. Feels like this was designed for the TikTok generation that needs stuff constantly blasted into their face or they will lose interest.

ENGAGEMENT!!!

Edited for moar:

Okay I need to get this off my chest. This is my problem with adding additional characters where there really didn’t need to be any.

The crew gets to the town Under Junon. They’re greeted by mayor officer jenny or whatever her name is. She tells the crew that this here is under junon a little fishing village barely surviving having been shunned by junon proper. She then immediately pulls up wanted posters for everyone and calls them out, explicitly telling them she could take in a cool 600,000 Gil for turning them in. Barret has a great line here given the context “well you know what they say, you can’t take it with ya” as he prominently displays his gatling gun.

Then officer mayor is like no, we know when to turn a blind eye round here. There’s an inn over there where aaaaanyone is welcome. Good luck y’all.

So we meet this character who is supposed to be the caretaker of this whole town which she admits is in shit. Then she squanders this golden opportunity that walks up to her. For all she knows a bunch of whacko terrorists escaped from shinra and may have killed the president and are on the loose. Then she offers them room and board in her poor shanty town! Like what!! Lady you’re the problem! You’re the reason this town is doing so poorly!

Don’t write in unnecessary characters that don’t make any fuckin sense. It would be more believable that this small poor town is struggling if… no one at all was posted at the entrance to greet new comers. Cuz you know, everyone would be working or trying to survive. Not mayor mall cop just sitting on an iPad playing golden saucer games and leisurely browsing mugshots.com.

There’s a term for this. Ludonarrative dissonance. And it’s annoying. Okay I’m done ranting.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
But having said that, this seems to be a rather average game on its own merits. It looks cluttered with waypoints and things taken straight out of Horizon but then worse and much less interactive. The gameplay is very limited, you can't jump for example. The open world seems to be another case of just grabbing things, and fight some special enemies for research purposes. I doubt the final game sidequest design goes far beyond this cookie cutter stuff. Its just not that kind of game. But its gameplay is rather bad because everything is automatic and the world is full of obstacles, debris and many things. Navigating it isn't really fun. Chocobos feel slow, and it seems you can't quickly jump off and strike an enemy for example. I think they are slow because this open world is likely fairly small compared to other open world games.
This, so much this

You might want to get your eyes checked

From the purple forum

Before patch:
qEk7l2J.jpg

After patch:
P3aaivN.jpg
Looks pretty “rocky”

proandrad

Just played the demo, and of course you guys are over exaggerating. Can the performance mode look sharper? Yes, of course. But, it doesn't look broken like some other new releases. I was expecting a broken performance mode like Horizon FW on release, FF16 performance mode, or Star Wars Jedi Survivor performance mode before the latest patch. This is nowhere near close to that level of bad.

paolo11

Just played the demo, and of course you guys are over exaggerating. Can the performance mode look sharper? Yes, of course. But, it doesn't look broken like some other new releases. I was expecting a broken performance mode like Horizon FW on release, FF16 performance mode, or Star Wars Jedi Survivor performance mode before the latest patch. This is nowhere near close to that level of bad.
Problem is Remake’s performance mode has better IQ than Rebirth. The patch did not improve it let’s be honest

Really not loving the new Chadley and MAI monster data gathering thing. MAI talks non stop the entire fight with these monsters and it just feels like constant chatter getting in the way of an adventure. Feels like this was designed for the TikTok generation that needs stuff constantly blasted into their face or they will lose interest.

ENGAGEMENT!!!

Edited for moar:

Okay I need to get this off my chest. This is my problem with adding additional characters where there really didn’t need to be any.

The crew gets to the town Under Junon. They’re greeted by mayor officer jenny or whatever her name is. She tells the crew that this here is under junon a little fishing village barely surviving having been shunned by junon proper. She then immediately pulls up wanted posters for everyone and calls them out, explicitly telling them she could take in a cool 600,000 Gil for turning them in. Barret has a great line here given the context “well you know what they say, you can’t take it with ya” as he prominently displays his gatling gun.

Then officer mayor is like no, we know when to turn a blind eye round here. There’s an inn over there where aaaaanyone is welcome. Good luck y’all.

So we meet this character who is supposed to be the caretaker of this whole town which she admits is in shit. Then she squanders this golden opportunity that walks up to her. For all she knows a bunch of whacko terrorists escaped from shinra and may have killed the president and are on the loose. Then she offers them room and board in her poor shanty town! Like what!! Lady you’re the problem! You’re the reason this town is doing so poorly!

Don’t write in unnecessary characters that don’t make any fuckin sense. It would be more believable that this small poor town is struggling if… no one at all was posted at the entrance to greet new comers. Cuz you know, everyone would be working or trying to survive. Not mayor mall cop just sitting on an iPad playing golden saucer games and leisurely browsing mugshots.com.

There’s a term for this. Ludonarrative dissonance. And it’s annoying. Okay I’m done ranting.
Just did this part and completely agree. That lady was unneeded and even if they wanted to include her, easy change for better results: instead of her speaking to you immediately at the gate, have the party come in, save Priscilla, then when the "sheriff" lady comes down she at least has a reason to value your party and maybe overlook the bounty. As it is it's pointless..

Comandr

Just did this part and completely agree. That lady was unneeded and even if they wanted to include her, easy change for better results: instead of her speaking to you immediately at the gate, have the party come in, save Priscilla, then when the "sheriff" lady comes down she at least has a reason to value your party and maybe overlook the bounty. As it is it's pointless..
that would have been so much better. Excellent suggestion.

sigmaZ

ENGAGEMENT!!!

Edited for moar:

"Show don't tell." is something a lot of writers struggle greatly with. It's the fanfic approach to writing where the writer gets too excited when writing that they start writing in an "And then..." fashion piling up unnecessary elements until bogging the story and pacing down. It's trash and I hate it. It's my biggest fear for this game tbh.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Not sure what it is but this is considerably more difficult than the last game to me. The combat feels much more complicated and i feel like im just mashing buttons without any idea. Also, why doesnt this asshole cloud hit anything in the air?

Lethal01

Game looks good all things considered. Its essentially Remake set in a playfield thats 100 times bigger than that corridor game. Even the small demo part has more verticality and more freedom than the entirety of Remake. This game isn't going to look that much better than it does now. The scale is immense compared to Remake.

But having said that, this seems to be a rather average game on its own merits. It looks cluttered with waypoints and things taken straight out of Horizon but then worse and much less interactive. The gameplay is very limited, you can't jump for example. The open world seems to be another case of just grabbing things, and fight some special enemies for research purposes. I doubt the final game sidequest design goes far beyond this cookie cutter stuff. Its just not that kind of game. But its gameplay is rather bad because everything is automatic and the world is full of obstacles, debris and many things. Navigating it isn't really fun. Chocobos feel slow, and it seems you can't quickly jump off and strike an enemy for example. I think they are slow because this open world is likely fairly small compared to other open world games.

There have been much better open world games around ofcourse. But this is technically an RPG, and its FFVII. So I guess it delivers more than what we might've expected after Remake. But I don't think its going to be that good if you factor out the nostalgia goggles.

I think we will see very divided reviews. Gamers who weren't there in 1997 might think this is ho hum, and others gush over the fact its FFVII remade. I wonder.

I want to agree butt is is more a combat demo than anything, the trailer show a huge assortment of minigames and the open world looks to lust be a basic tool to get from place to place. The battle system is fantastic so as long as the open world doesn't get in the way of that I wouldnt really look at it as a negative, but rather a missed opportunity

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Ok I played for about 20 minutes or so. My thoughts:
-Chocobo feels like it should have a jump feature.
-X just shouldn't be the menu button. I will never change my mind on this. It is the most non-inuitive control scheme I think I've ever played in modern gaming. That and having multiple action buttons and having triangle as the pickup button feels ridiculous.
-The cushion for resting seems like an odd and unnecessary choice.
-The battles are ok. I feel like all the extra gimmicks feel unnecessary outside the synergy abilities. I'd rather they had just stuck with menu abilities and made the ATB faster. I almost like the classic mode better but to work, they would need to make the auto-attack more aggressive and speed up the ATB.

I'll play a bit more later, but I think this might be a put off and wait til PC game.
There's so many better looking games coming out in March and I am still playing Like a Dragon and Persona.

Lethal01

They are in the shit because of Shinra and would probably celebrate avalanche for killing the president, plus tney know that the bounty wouldnt really change things for an entire village even if it would be nice personally, Doesnt seem like dissonance to me. Again these are people who WANT you to hurt shinra

LordOfChaos

I did notice right away that resolution took quite a hit in performance mode for what the game is on PS5, I'll be curious to try out the update.

A demo with a major world expansion, what a time to be alive

Last edited:
Not sure what it is but this is considerably more difficult than the last game to me. The combat feels much more complicated and i feel like im just mashing buttons without any idea. Also, why doesnt this asshole cloud hit anything in the air?
They changed how it works for sure regarding aerial enemies. Before if there was an enemy in the air, pressing square would launch a given character straight up to them and you could engage.

While this game feels better once you are in the air as you have a little bit more control and permanence there I for some reason struggle to get up there to begin with.

Last edited:

Pelao

I had a significantly easier time parrying enemy attacks this time around than when I played the flashback, to the point where the boss was a piece of cake. I guess it was just a matter of getting used to it. Having access to more party members and more freedom to experiment with the combat system helped me finish this demo with a much more positive impression than the previous one, which was already good.
I'm satisfied with the performance mode and what I've played, so I'll pre-order it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I might skip the 2nd demo. I finished the first and I got enough. What I read was the final product will be different because they sized down the open parts of the demo. Which takes me back to FFXV and how weird the Platinum Demo was for that. That threw me through a loop because I had a completely different experience than what was in that demo. I want to experience the Chocobo during game time that counts towards progression.

It’s weird but I want a demo to be 1:1 of what the final game is. “This is different than the demo” and yada yada yada.

Last edited:

RavageX

Content doesn't matter anymore, the only thing that matters in games is FRAMES and GRAPHICS
There is SO much of this. I swear people barely even talk about if a game is GOOD or not. First thing I see is the 60fps bullshit in every game thread.

A game can still suck regardless.

I found this demo a bit...odd. Movement was all over the place and didn't feel natural? I'm not sure really. It is just a demo though and I did enjoy the part 1.

Kumomeme

ENGAGEMENT!!!

Edited for moar:

yeah it is kind of annoying over she constantly talk and fangirling during fight.

Lethal01

Cloud can manually go into the air at anytime by dodging then holding the attack button or using his fire+lightning blade attack.
Tifa can do it by using her synergy actions (block+ face button)
there are tutorials for the characters in the vr missions via chadley at the ranch

EruditeHobo

I had a scare when I just played thru intermission on performance mode, and switched to graphics mode very briefly almost halfway through... the downgrade in frames felt like a barrier to even playing with that option, felt downright choppy going from 60 to 30. In fact it felt like it couldn't be running at 30. But I was just not used to it.

Went through this Nibelheim demo in graphics mode... no issues for me. Pre-ordered. Pretty excited to dive in.

BTW... this demo has to be one of the best ever? Large flashback section of game that becomes skippable upon release and awards in-game items for completing... then on top of that another huge section is patched in giving a feel for the greater open world mechanics. Pretty fantastic.

I assume there's nothing earned in-game from the Junon demo area... haven't finished with it yet regardless, just got to fishing village without doing too much exploring.

Dynasty8

"... includes content unique to the demo"
lol wtf

Shit like this pisses me off. I've already pre-ordered the game and am intentionally not going to play the demo(s) so I can go in blind.

Square has a habit of ruining and spoiling everything....wheather it's trailers or demos, they reveal so much where the surprise factor slightly drifts away. Now reading this you can't help but have a little bit of FOMO. Kind of shitty of them to do this.

New part of the demo kicked my ass too.

Maybe I'm rusty on FFVII Remake combat or just not used to all the new shit. Hell I platinumed Remake.

dwish

Haven't preordered but I'm getting this day 1. FF7 is my favorite game ever and I really enjoyed remake and the extra depth added to characters (and the voice acting and exploring midgar with a free 3d camera).

But is it just me or does the map feel really small? Mythril Mine is so close to Junon and where is Fort Condor? Is it just a demo thing or will it be like this in the full release as well?

elementalnocturne

Neo Member
Haven't preordered but I'm getting this day 1. FF7 is my favorite game ever and I really enjoyed remake and the extra depth added to characters (and the voice acting and exploring midgar with a free 3d camera).

But is it just me or does the map feel really small? Mythril Mine is so close to Junon and where is Fort Condor? Is it just a demo thing or will it be like this in the full release as well?
The dialogue at the beginning of the Junon demo made it sound like they moved Fort Condor to a separate island.

Brigandier

I caved and played the second part of the demo I personally loved it, I'm definitely rusty with the combat system that's for sure as the last boss was kicking my ass until I swapped in Barret, I liked the addition of mini bosses for Chadley but agree with people here that the annoying brat yapping needs to stfu.

I really wish the PS5 Pro was out already I'd have loved to play this 4k 60fps 😞 the graphics mode looks nice but man the 30fps is so jarring, Performance mode is "ok" but it's not good enough for a PS5 game SE have to do better.

SkylineRKR

I beat it twice now and done everything except for the VR challenges. The map is basically just 4 fights, with some objectives in each. But there is a degree of customization with your materia loadout and you can upgrade accessories.

It might be downsized for the demo but the travel time between the mines and junon is fairly similar to the original. However, there are barriers here, no forests and no fort condor to sidetrack to. This is where its obvious that FFVII original isn't as linear as some claimed it to be. The story is, which should be, but you could completely ignore fort condor, gongaga, wutai and more and even miss some key story parts. In my first run I actually went there on disc 3 because I didn't know or bother, I recruited Yuffie and Vincent on disc 3 too, lol.

How spoilerish is the demo and what's the exclusive demo content? Wondering if I play this weekend or wait.
Not at all IMO.

The first demo is just literally the opening hour or so and the second demo is just a random Overworld set up right before Junon. But nothing really happens it's just a chance to play with party mess with materia and fight some battles though you can fight the boss that appears below Junon.

Barakov

Gold Member
Sheesh.
They're trying to hit you over the head that Cloud is Zack. There's no way Cloud could be that upbeat. It's handled with all the subtlety of a brick to the face.
Playing as Sephiroth is pretty cool though.

Top Bottom