• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Go_Ly_Dow

Man this game's OST...some themes are so fucking epic that they would perfectly fit in a Metal Gear game too like, easily.
It's incredible, I got the digital soundtrack and there are so many tracks I'm being reminded about from the start too that were really great

Like these:

and about 173 more lol.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So Chocobos can drift, and the buggy can't?

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
The QB survival bootcamp challenge at Gold Saucer made me sweat. More difficult than expect.

What decks do you guys use? I keep slight readjusting my initial deck and ignoring most of the cards I won 😂

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I did all side missions, simped so hard for Tifa and guess who knocked on my door in chapter 12... fucking Barret

tenor.gif
I've changed my laugh emoji to empathy because I just remembered the pain of getting Red for 3 days despite and obsessively doing Tifa sidequests until I finally got the knock. 😭

SkylineRKR

The QB survival bootcamp challenge at Gold Saucer made me sweat. More difficult than expect.

What decks do you guys use? I keep slight readjusting my initial deck and ignoring most of the cards I won 😂

I didn't do all the bootcamp, and they require specific decks. One I believe requires cards with backward patterns.

I mostly roll with Dio, Choco/mog, Titan, Crystaline crab, Heatseaker, Mandragora etc. Choco/Mog and Dio can go up to 16 points if you keep playing buff cards. And I use the final 2 QB story cards just because.

Its crazy how some matches go. I beat the final QB opponent with essentially 2 Chimera in the middle, and a Rictus at the top. Those 3 cards equaled well over 50 points.

Neff

Man this game's OST...some themes are so fucking epic that they would perfectly fit in a Metal Gear game too like, easily.

There's a track which plays after the Dyne fight, during the cutscene where Shinra are deploying the Anuran Suppressor via helicopter, which will stop as soon as you run forward to start the boss fight, but if you let it play it's very Metal Gear. All the more blatant since the Anuran Suppressor's delivery is very visually reminiscent of the choppers carrying the Shagohod in MGS3.

Flabagast

2 weeks or something since i was done with the game and i still cant find a new game that gives me what this did. All other games just feels like shit.....Hell not even my flight sim setup does it for me anymore, got damnit🤣

Agree, it’s one of these games that leaves a big void in you once you complete it and makes every other game like lacking soul.

So what I did is start the DLC Intermission which I never played lol

SkylineRKR

Yeah there is a lot to dislike about this game, but also a lot to like. I clocked about 150 hours, and still didn't do the hidden summon and brutal battles. I am trying out different weapon setups etc. I kind of prefer the Folio over the system in Rebirth now. The weapons still allow for different builds, once you have 4 ability slots. Its actually not that different from Remake, Buster Sword has Reprieve for example and could be a reason to choose it for end game content.

While the story jumps the shark in the last chapters, there is also a lot of improvements to the stuff that is basically unaltered. The massacre in Nibelheim hits way harder now, as are the flashbacks of the avalanche crew etc... this was never brought up again in the original.

The gameplay is good too. I like the improvements they did though it all feels daunting at first. I feel like I can equip more from the very start. You don't need to waste a slot for deadly dodge which is a native ability now. You can equip all 4 elements on just 2 slots, and petrify and poison are merged. Some enemies only stagger after debuffs, and others require synergy specials. I like that its not always straightforward. You can do some fun things with your loadout, with Synergy and auto cast etc.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I beat Gilgamesh in the post game and now deciding if I want to do the VR stuff. I'm a completionist but I've put over 170 hours into the game and I'm really starting to get bored of it and my gaming ADD is starting to kick in. There comes a time in every game no matter how much I have enjoyed playing it where my brain just won't allow me to be able to pay attention to it any longer and I need to move on to something else. It's why I can never replay games, I just can't do it, my brain won't let me. I can't tolerate anything once I become bored with it and my brain loses interest.

The completionist in me is fighting back though. Soon I'm going to kinda calculate just how much more prep I need to do to be able to do the VR missions and if it's going to take too long I'll probably just quit and move on. It's not like the Goterdammung or however it's spelled is really worth it anyway. If I have to go back through and beat all the bosses on hard mode all over again and get all the rest of the folios there's no way in fucking hell I'm doing all that. I'll say that right now.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

One thing I really loved was the amount of high quality unique cutscenes littered throughout game depending on your dialogue choices or character affinity.

Like this to give one example.

They were absent from 13 and 15 and I don't even think 10 or 12 had them?

I prefer a linear narrative for JRPGs, but it's still nice to have these moments and I didn't think Rebirth would have them considering the short development. So it was awesome to see them go all out on this front too. It was a long wait or an FF game that had the level of variety/scope as a PS1 FF game interpreted on modern tech.

Last edited:

Flabagast

One thing I really loved was the amount of high quality unique cutscenes littered throughout game depending on your dialogue choices or character affinity.

I prefer a linear narrative for JRPGs, but it's still nice to have these moments and I didn't think Rebirth would have them considering the short development. So it was awesome to see them go all out on this front too. It was a long wait or an FF game that had the level of variety/scope as a PS1 FF game on modern tech.

I think this is the game with the highest amount of super polished high quality cutscenes that ever existed. I don’t know how they did it, their production pipeline must be calibrated to a T

Luipadre

Finished the game after 83 hours. A flawed masterpiece. Never played the original, i cant say a word about the story, because tbh i wasnt sure wtf is going on 90% of the time lol. Game was exceptionally polished especially considering its lenght and the absurd amount of content and cutscenes. Really likeable characters, varied environments, killer OST and imo the best FF combat system to date. The last 1.5 hour boss gauntlet was a bit annoying and tiresome, but thankfully i did it on my first try

Cant wait for part 3. Dunno how many devs worked on this, but making a game like this in 3 years its just crazy

Boneless

I am probably just getting old but I really couldn't be bothered with the Galiant Beast fight and just switched back to easy. I do like a challenge (I fully finished Elden Ring) but this does not feel very tactical. I think I even prefer the feeling of winning/losing in Queens Blood over the actual combat system as it feels much more strategic.
A few other things I miss in the combat:
- Abilities do not evolve, have no upgrade systems
- The evolvement of materia is 1) too slow and 2) lackluster. In the OG FF7 there was some real magic if you materia leveled up and it looked and felt very different, in this game I hardly notice.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
How difficult is to get all the 88 items for Johnny's treasure trove?

I've been doing all the content so far, currently on chapter 9 and only have 34 done 😂

I am probably just getting old but I really couldn't be bothered with the Galiant Beast fight and just switched back to easy. I do like a challenge (I fully finished Elden Ring) but this does not feel very tactical. I think I even prefer the feeling of winning/losing in Queens Blood over the actual combat system as it feels much more strategic.
- The evolvement of materia is 1) too slow and 2) lackluster. In the OG FF7 there was some real magic if you materia leveled up and it looked and felt very different, in this game I hardly notice.
kinda agree kinda disagree. I think the strategic depth is there but it's not apparent on normal difficulty, you just sort of keep at it and you'll win without learning tactics, unlike hard where you usually have to "solve the puzzle" of what beats an enemy. Galian Beast for me took a lot of dodging and parrying, debraved him/magnified barrier because he does too much damage, summoned Ifrit and used firagas. Good to press X regularly to buy a moment to think/see what he's doing and use useful abilities like synergy skills, like if he's doing a massive attack against one of your other characters you can quickly summon them out of his way to your side with synergy skills like body guard or slip n slide.

I definitely agree that materia leveling is too slow, I probably would have halved the time it takes, but the difference is pivotal. Like the difference from taking half damage with elemental materia to being able to completely absorb 2 elements with maxed elemental materia is huge. Firaga isn't just more powerful than fire with a cooler explosion, it's impossible to be knocked out of the casting animation of a level 3 spell which is a really big deal. With maxed hp absorb and genji gloves to break the 9999 damage limit you can do massive damage and fully heal yourself casting firaga at the same time.

Last edited:

Flabagast

don't agree,

There is a lot of strategic depth in the system if you put the effort to find it. Even if it's true that normal difficulty does not require to to involve too much into it (and still, some people complain that the game becomes too hard by the end on Normal, whereas with only a few tactical adjustements every combat is very much doable without too much difficulty)

SkylineRKR

I beat Gilgamesh in the post game and now deciding if I want to do the VR stuff. I'm a completionist but I've put over 170 hours into the game and I'm really starting to get bored of it and my gaming ADD is starting to kick in. There comes a time in every game no matter how much I have enjoyed playing it where my brain just won't allow me to be able to pay attention to it any longer and I need to move on to something else. It's why I can never replay games, I just can't do it, my brain won't let me. I can't tolerate anything once I become bored with it and my brain loses interest.

The completionist in me is fighting back though. Soon I'm going to kinda calculate just how much more prep I need to do to be able to do the VR missions and if it's going to take too long I'll probably just quit and move on. It's not like the Goterdammung or however it's spelled is really worth it anyway. If I have to go back through and beat all the bosses on hard mode all over again and get all the rest of the folios there's no way in fucking hell I'm doing all that. I'll say that right now.

Yes you need to beat all story bosses, all side quests and classified intel battles on Hard to get all SP. You can do this at leisure though. I did all classified fights as soon as Hard unlocked, from chapter 13 fast travel. I also beat chapter 1 with skipping all cutscenes but its still quite long.

I prefer a linear narrative for JRPGs, but it's still nice to have these moments and I didn't think Rebirth would have them considering the short development. So it was awesome to see them go all out on this front too. It was a long wait or an FF game that had the level of variety/scope as a PS1 FF game on modern tech.

Yes but this shows that OG FFVII wasn't as linear as some people claim. You could flat out ignore Yuffie, never even find her or refuse to let her join. Vincent too. You could skip the entirety of Wutai, Gongaga, some Turk fights would change or you could skip them altogether.
don't agree,

There is a lot of strategic depth in the system if you put the effort to find it. Even if it's true that normal difficulty does not require to to involve too much into it (and still, some people complain that the game becomes too hard by the end on Normal, whereas with only a few tactical adjustements every combat is very much doable without too much difficulty)

The game can be rather tactical on Dynamic, and esp. Hard. A small change to your loadout can trivialize a fight.

The weapon system I thought was borked compared to Remake is still there too. They all offer different builds again. They all offer unique perks that do change the gameplay. For example, I did the Odin+Alexander fight. I had Buster Sword equipped, your starting blade. And I won because of its Reprieve ability kicking in at the very end of the battle.

Your folio won't be maxed out during one playthrough too, even if you complete everything there is. And respec can help, like abandoning some synergy attacks with party members you never use together in favor of some good ability like Transcendence and the lvl3 limits.

I do understand where he is coming from. The original game had a lot more stuff, like 4xcut, slash all, command counter etc. But the problem with FFVII OG was that the health pools were way, way too low. Magic and summons were useless past disc 1, regular attacks would outdamage even Ultima. And that is without factoring in 4x cut which pretty much GG everything the main story threw at you. There was no reason to use anything else, unless you wanted to gimp yourself or something. Remake and Rebirth are far more difficult and tactical games than the original. Magic stays consistently useful throughout, as do buffs and debuffs. Even Summons stay fairly powerful, though I barely cast them.

How difficult is to get all the 88 items for Johnny's treasure trove?

I've been doing all the content so far, currently on chapter 9 and only have 34 done 😂
I found it very difficult, harder than platinuming a souls game for sure.

If you are thinking about it, 2 things to keep in mind.

First, even though rebirth has a lot of awesome minigames, everyone will have some minigame that they hate. You will likely have to get a top score on the minigame you hate to get all of Johnny's treasures. For me this was cactuar crush, I hated hard mode of cactuar crush. You can change the system menu settings to "easy" without penalty to make hard modes of minigames a bit easier, but keep in mind if you hate some of the minigames you will have to sink time into those.

Second, you will have to master the combat system (which is pretty fun to do) to beat the hardest VR challenges, but even when you do, you will likely still have to look up youtube videos with builds and strategies anyway. This is because the VR challenges are gauntlets. So let's say you're dying to the 8th battle out of a 10 round challenge. You might be good enough to beat that battle with some practice and experimentation. But to get the chance to practice it, you have to fight the preceeding 7 battles every time which is very exhausting. That's why I insist on looking up youtube builds. This guy came up with a Tifa build/strat for a specific challenge that was so fun and powerful that I used this build for her for most of my hard mode playthrough and it was really effective:

It took ages and was frustrating at times, but when I finally beat everything I was a little bit sad that the game was over. For the next few days I found myself loading it up and doing single character runs of the VR summon battles over and over trying to beat my best times. Eventually I had to uninstall the game to stop myself going back to it (which is great since it takes up a lot of space.) Kinda bummed to hear sales underperformed, because meta multiverse story silliness aside, I think rebirth is something really special.

SkylineRKR

The Shadowblood Queen
you-cheated-trelane.gif

Its really easy if you understand the mechanics. She can feed your enfeeblement cards such as Chimera and Rictus. I didn't even put the witch in my deck as I forgot. I didn't have Gi-Nattak either, which can trivialize this match.

I essentially won with 2 chimera in the middle and one rictus in the top left. For the rest I used Yin Yang for replacement, Titan, Crystaline crab, Mandragora etc. I even won the middle row with like 35-30 or so.

Essentially she powers your cards up constantly.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its really easy if you understand the mechanics. She can feed your enfeeblement cards such as Chimera and Rictus. I didn't even put the witch in my deck as I forgot. I didn't have Gi-Nattak either, which can trivialize this match.

I essentially won with 2 chimera in the middle and one rictus in the top left. For the rest I used Yin Yang for replacement, Titan, Crystaline crab, Mandragora etc. I even won the middle row with like 35-30 or so.

Essentially she powers your cards up constantly.
Yeah that’s basically how beat I her, I think that’s only way to beat her but she still god damn cheater!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That Animal party side quests was little struggle for me, especially that 3D brawler part, I’m just not good at that mini game but that end was worth it……Cloud is such a fun character in Rebirth, I go as far as say I like him here more than OG FFVII.

Last edited:

Zheph

That Animal party side quests was little struggle for me, especially that 3D brawler part, I’m just not good at that mini game but that end was worth it……Cloud is such a fun character in Rebirth, I go far as say I like him here more than OG FFVII.
Yeah I agree with that, they did an awesome job with him and he shows a lot of emotions from his usual self to some warm moments or very funny bits

Thaedolus

I need part 3 now.

Someone wake me up when it's out. ⚰️
Seriously. The way this one ended…

…going further than the original with Cloud’s odd mental state, where he can see the rift in the multiverse in the sky and see Aerith when the others can’t, but Red can feel her there so he’s not totally nuts…that’s actually a really unique and interesting thing I can’t remember seeing in a story before. It makes me wonder how it’ll impact the future events and interactions. The whole crew is grieving and Cloud’s gonna keep being like whatevs she’s right here talking to me…if they pull it off…

Thaedolus

Plus it has incredibly interesting questions leading into part 3. I am glad they continue to change things up. If I wanted the original, I can play the original.
Which funnily enough, I am right now. The old classics are great on handheld (although apparently cloud saves don’t work well on Steam so I’m playing it on Switch)

I prefer a linear narrative for JRPGs, but it's still nice to have these moments and I didn't think Rebirth would have them considering the short development. So it was awesome to see them go all out on this front too. It was a long wait or an FF game that had the level of variety/scope as a PS1 FF game interpreted on modern tech.

Way too cringe.

Maybe lack of tech back in the day to not allow Square to fully express themselves was for the better.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Way too cringe.

Maybe lack of tech back in the day to not allow Square to fully express themselves was for the better.
She is a young teen. She is supposed to be a highly energetic, cringe teenager. That is literally the whole point of her character. Young, naive, and trying to put on a face for the insurmountable fear and threats of death for her, her friends, and her homeland.

Last edited:
Top Bottom