• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released in North America 20 Years Ago Today

I still remember people in my town being disappointed when they found out it was "that kind of game" after seeing the bad ass CG commercials.

Sephzilla

Explain to me how Final Fantasy VII and Star Wars correlate and you might have a point. Star Wars literally influenced the landscape of movies itself. Final Fantasy VII made JRPGs mainstream worldwide and influenced it's own genre. There's a severe difference there.

Final Fantasy VII helped change the landscape of video games because it turned the JRPG genre into a mainstream genre instead of a niche genre (like how Star Wars helped propel sci-fi/fantasy from niche to more mainstream) and FF7 was also one of the big things that legitimized the Playstation 1 - which was a landscape changing shift back in the day when Nintendo ruled all.

Big One

Banned
In terms of being a special effects laden blockbuster that transformed an entire genre, and much of the industry, for years to follow, yes, FF7 is the Star Wars of gaming.

Super Mario Bros is Citizen Kane or The Jazz Singer
FF7 didn't do anything new with it's cutscenes like Star Wars did with it's special effects. Star Wars literally pioneered film techniques with it's special effects, Final Fantasy VII just did PC gaming style CG cutscenes on a console to take advantage of the CD format.

Final Fantasy VII's range of influence began with it's release and ended in the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era. It was one of the most influencial games ever made but it's nowhere near an analogy to something as huge as Star Wars which is still influencing movies today.

Even if Super Mario Bros. = Citizen Kane, there are other titles that fit the Star Wars mold better than FF7. GTA3 and Halo are better equations to Star Wars is for example, since their design choices and concepts are still used today by a good majority of mainstream games.
Final Fantasy VII helped change the landscape of video games because it turned the JRPG genre into a mainstream genre instead of a niche genre (like how Star Wars helped propel sci-fi/fantasy from niche to more mainstream) and FF7 was also one of the big things that legitimized the Playstation 1 - which was a landscape changing shift back in the day when Nintendo ruled all.
Sure but that's nowhere near the impact Star Wars had on movies. Star Wars changed it's entire medium, it didn't change teh scifi genre.

FinalAres

Explain to me how Final Fantasy VII and Star Wars correlate and you might have a point. Star Wars literally influenced the landscape of movies itself. Final Fantasy VII made JRPGs mainstream worldwide and influenced it's own genre. There's a severe difference there.
I think Mario = Star Wars = Beatles in terms of influence. So I agree.

But in terms of story FF7 is THE video game story, and so is Star Wars for movies. I can see a similarity there. But yeah in terms of influence on the medium it's way off.

daveo42

Banned
My personal favorite games of all time, one of the top 3 FF games ever released, and a top 10 rpg in the history of gaming. It's also the JRPG that got me into the genre to begin with and I credit it more for the love of games I have now over any games I played prior to its launch.

Nairume

Banned
Not to mention it was also part of the catalyst for the industry chasing the "bigger is better" blockbuster mindset very much in the same way as Star Wars did.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Played it for the first time about a month ago.

Eh. It was OK in general terms, though some sections were definitely not to my liking.

Tried to play this game for the first time a couple years ago. It was terrible. Never again.

I understand the nostalgia though. I'm that way about other games that aged poorly.

Sephzilla

Tried to play this game for the first time a couple years ago. It was terrible. Never again.

I understand the nostalgia though. I'm that way about other games that aged poorly.

I think the story and old school JRPG gameplay actually hold up pretty well over time.... but those graphics, woof. Those early gen PS1 graphics have aged like cheese left in the back of the fridge.

I had never played a RPG before that time; just wasn't into the genre. I don't remember what it was but something convinced me to import this bad-boy from Japan for $98 COD.

Started playing, couldn't fucking read it of course but managed to get through the first two discs (paper-clip trick bitches) and was hooked.

Then it came out in US and I bought it and of course replayed from beginning.

Still one of my favorite games and brings up a lot of nostalgia. Have played it again a couple of times since then but never fully; at this point just waiting for the remake.

Sephzilla

Sure but that's nowhere near the impact Star Wars had on movies. Star Wars changed it's entire medium, it didn't change teh scifi genre.

Being a massive factor in legitimizing the Playstation, a brand that has since gone on to become possibly the best selling home console brand in history, is a pretty big medium shift.

I also don't get why you seem so upset by someone making a statement that compared one of the most well known games of all time to one of the best known movies of all time

Big One

Banned
Being a massive factor in legitimizing the Playstation, a brand that has gone on to become possibly the best selling console brand in history, is a pretty big medium shift.
The Playstation was already outselling it's competition before Final Fantasy VII's release, Final Fantasy VII just gave it an extra push alongside other titles like Metal Gear Solid. It wasn't the sole reason for why the Playstation became top dog. Crash Bandicoot was the one that gave it the initial push and then games like Final Fantasy VII, Grant Turismo, Metal Gear Solid came later and pushed the system even further.
I also don't get why you seem so upset by someone making a statement that compared one of the most well known games of all time to one of the best known movies of all time
It's upsetting cause revisionist history hampers actual legitimate praise for this game. Saying Final Fantasy VII was the most influential game of all time is hyperbole at it's finest. Then you have the gall to complain when people also state hyperbolic statements like, "The most overrated game in the history of gaming" when you did the exact same thing.

Espada

While the graphics have certainly aged, the classic gameplay, materia system, music, and cast always hook me as they did back then. To me FFVII and Chrono Trigger are the reason why I place so much importance on characters and the world they inhabit in RPGs. That makes the journey you go on that much more enjoyable, as you're both invested in and entertained by the cast if the story doesn't hold up.

After all these years VII is still in my top 5 for the series, it's just a great game when all is said and done.

Evilmaus

Still better than FF6 even 20 years later

I'll go as far as to say VII certainly felt better and definitely more impressive at the time, but in the present day I would call VI the better game.

Even so, VII blew my tiny mind. What a time to be alive and playing video games.

Fou-Lu

One of my favourite games of all time, tied for my favourite Final Fantasy game with IX. It is one of the video games I have the greatest emotional connection to and also one of the games that had the greatest influence on me as a person. The characters feel like personal friends and the world feels like somewhere I have lived.

My best friend and I were in tears when the Remake was announced.

entremet

Not my favorite FF. Not my favorite FF on the PS1. But I had tons of fun with it. Maxed the clocked. Got 3 full sets of Master Materia, Gold Chocobo, etc.

Fun times.

ironmang

The Playstation was already outselling it's competition before Final Fantasy VII's release, Final Fantasy VII just gave it an extra push alongside other titles like Metal Gear Solid. It wasn't the sole reason for why the Playstation became top dog. Crash Bandicoot was the one that gave it the initial push and then games like Final Fantasy VII, Grant Turismo, Metal Gear Solid came later and pushed the system even further.

It's upsetting cause revisionist history hampers actual legitimate praise for this game. Saying Final Fantasy VII was the most influential game of all time is hyperbole at it's finest. Then you have the gall to complain when people also state hyperbolic statements like, "The most overrated game in the history of gaming" when you did the exact same thing.

Not sure why you highlighted "the" since nobody here said it was #1 of most influential games. They just said "one of" which could be a list of 10 or 20 games.

Amirnol

10 year-old me was blown away by the commercial. Getting a playstation console and this game for Christmas that year was a legendary moment.

Trago

I still prefer IX, but VII is a great game.

Technically the first RPG I played, but didn't beat on my own. I would take turns playing it with my cousins. I recall loving Cloud and Barret's designs. One had spiky hair and a big sword and the other had a gun attached to his arm! The music is still excellent too. Top three FF Soundtracks and top ten gaming soundtracks ever, it's that good.

I do find it a little strange that this is damn near everyone's first RPG almost regardless of age too. I wonder why that is. It must have been the marketing or something. I even know people who don't touch RPG's or JRPG's at all who played FFVII back then.

I was waiting for this thread.

20 years ago today my FFVII fan site was listed in the "new" section of FFVII websites on Yahoo. Basically an ancient form of SEO jackpot. The game released and my website got millions of views. I didn't anticipate this as I thought FF was a hyper niche interest... and it was, until FFVII released, and smashed into the mainstream.

You can't find my website anywhere now, because it was before the Wayback Machine or Google Archive (it was before Google, actually).

The thing that messes with my mind was that in 1997, Star Wars turned 20 years old. I thought that made it amazingly ancient. And now it's 20 years old since FFVII which was basically my generation's Star Wars.

Anyway... great game. What can I really say about it? ;)

Wait, what website did you run? Because I was involved with one of the more popular FF7 websites back in the day, but I was obsessed with FF7 and read up on anything and everything back then.

Laplasakos

Happy 20th anniversary FFVII! You really are one of the best games of all time. Don't feel bad that SE has totally forgot you. We still remember you.

Rad-

I do find it a little strange that this is damn near everyone's first RPG almost regardless of age too. I wonder why that is. It must have been the marketing or something. I even know people who don't touch RPG's or JRPG's at all who played FFVII back then.

I remember playing it on my friend's PS1 and just from the short time with it my mind was more blown away than anything I had experienced with NES, SNES or Genesis and I had to get PS1 + FFVII after that.

Turin

Banned
One of my all time favorites. I can recognize it's flaws nowadays but I still think it's a gem of the medium.

The games moody but funky vibe and aesthetic is probably a permanent influence on my artistic inclinations.

Remember 2 years ago when people thought maybe Square could have the first part of the Remake or heck, even a demo out for the 20th anniversary?

Good times.

Great game. GOAT soundtrack.

I'm shocked that Tobal no.1 didn't sell a million copies with that FFVII demo.

It was a game that blew up after its release.

Its kinda funny how "small" the FF brand was before 7 came along. Cant imagine the demo was that much of a draw to a lot of people. FF was baisclalya niche thing that maybe sometimes gets released in the US and sells a few copies. Feck, FF7 was the first time the franchise ever launched outside NA and JP markets. That in itself is huge.

BumRush

Probably my 2nd favorite game of all time (after VI). The material system is the pinnacle of turn based combat (for me)

Eylos

Banned
The most overrated game in the history of gaming.

maxresdefault.jpg

The greatest game of all time

tumblr_osr9x3zyD11qgakgso1_500.png

butman

One of the best JRPG of all time but not the best FF.
VI is the GOAT and everyone known it.

HeeHo

I played VI first but VII had such a big impact on me, It was probably my first PS1 RPG too. Just getting the PS1 itself was a challenge (had to trade in a bunch of SNES games and my SNES).

It's by far my favorite. I got home at like 8:30 that night I got it and stayed up until 4 a.m. Made it all the way to get Red XIII before calling it a night.

I also think the game still plays fine but the graphics and maybe some of the minigames are outdated. I have slowly begun replaying VII on the PS4 and it is a bit rougher but definitely playable. I had watched a friend nearly 10 years ago replay the game and I was surprised by how playable and action packed the whole game seemed still.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Literally everything that followed the original FF7 only makes it worse. I hope everything introduced in AC and the spinoffs are axed in the remake should it ever come out.

Trago

I remember playing it on my friend's PS1 and just from the short time with it my mind was more blown away than anything I had experienced with NES, SNES or Genesis and I had to get PS1 + FFVII after that.

I'm guessing that, and word or mouth was super strong at the time? A lot of older people I know tell me that the jump from 2D to 3D in general was life changing. And this was definitely a premier game.

It is physically impossible for a FF7 to occur without hyperbole. You have one crowd saying it has the most amazing characters and story of all time (lol) and one that calls it the most overhyped and overworshipped game of all time.

There is no middle ground and never will be, lol. That first reply made me smile tho. XD

RedAssedApe

Banned
It is physically impossible for a FF7 to occur without hyperbole. You have one crowd saying it has the most amazing characters and story of all time (lol) and one that calls it the most overhyped and overworshipped game of all time.

There is no middle ground and never will be, lol. That first reply made me smile tho. XD

why no lol after the bolded? we know what side you're on. you ain't fooling anyone with this neutral business!

Top Bottom