• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released in North America 20 Years Ago Today

It was the first game I ever played on PlayStation. It will forever hold a place in my memory as a result. It was also my first RPG, I missed all the ones on SNES and Genesis.

Edit- to remove an opinion that would derail things. Cause I'm a jerk.

norm9

I couldn't afford a playstation when VII came out, so I never played it until a few years ago. It's serviceable.

Canucked

I remember vividly buying this game. I pre-ordered at the Sony store. They hated dealing with video games and only wanted to sell TVs. But I worked in the same mall so they ordered it for me. They told me that their shelf stock sold out (but that could have been three copies) and they almost sold mine by mistake.

I read EGM on the train home and played it until 2 am.

Espada

It was the first game I ever played on PlayStation. It will forever hold a place in my memory as a result. It was also my first RPG, I missed all the ones on SNES and Genesis.

Pretty sure a certain Legend of Zelda game takes that crown

Don't bring that evil into this thread.

Anyways, it stings when I realize FFVII was the last time we had optional characters in a main entry. I really wish some of the more... extraneous characters from the later games were optional.

Turin said:
One of my all time favorites. I can recognize it's flaws nowadays but I still think it's a gem of the medium.

The games moody but funky vibe and aesthetic is probably a permanent influence on my artistic inclinations.

Damn, that's a really good way of describing FFVII's look and feel.

I get nostalgic thinking about it, after school I took 3 stops earlier to hit up the local mall and pick up my preorder. The next couple of months after that were a blur.

Haven't read the whole thread yet so it's probably already been corrected, but the US release of FFVII was an 'early' (for the time) release of Tuesday, 9/2. I remember coming off a pretty fun Labor Day weekend and my cousins calling to tell me they picked their copy up.

I picked mine up on Friday, 9/5, took the weekend off my high school job, and basked in the glory.

Time, place, and age- there has never and will never be a game I've been more excited about. That bittersweet nostalgia.

I think the story and old school JRPG gameplay actually hold up pretty well over time.... but those graphics, woof. Those early gen PS1 graphics have aged like cheese left in the back of the fridge.

Nah, many SNES games did all that gameplay way better and the story is so convoluted and up its own ass. The whole game is just such a slog. It's just a product of its time. Very few PS1/N64 games aged well.

That being said, I am excited for the remake.

This is the version of Final Fantasy VII I owned back then...

55A9A0D4105D241939355EBFBD1888451FA32063

I had it for months, and could never get it to work on my Windows 98 PC, so I could never play it. Sadly I ended up selling it in a yard sale. I kinda regret doing that. The original PC port had some really nice packaging though...

7DNg3bAadUFmYsyhdvwfx6.jpg

I still never played Final Fantasy VII to this day.

I think the story and old school JRPG gameplay actually hold up pretty well over time.... but those graphics, woof. Those early gen PS1 graphics have aged like cheese left in the back of the fridge.

Maybe it's just me but the story was pretty bad and didn't measure up to predecessors (or even other RPG series like Dragon Quest IV and V) or even spinoffs like FF Tactics. Didn't help that the characters felt hollow and underdeveloped, and that the conflict between Cloud and Sephiroth and Aeris's death seemed forced rather than natural.

Sephzilla

Maybe it's just me but the story was pretty bad and didn't measure up to predecessors (or even other RPG series like Dragon Quest IV and V) or even spinoffs like FF Tactics. Didn't help that the characters felt hollow and underdeveloped, and that the conflict between Cloud and Sephiroth and Aeris's death seemed forced rather than natural.

The one issue I have with 7's story is that a lot of the character development, outside of Cid, kind of slows down or stops after Aeris dies. Oh and I agree that 6's story is better. I'd argue that FF6 is an objectively better game from top to bottom but I just prefer 7 more because I'm a fan of the sci-fi dystopian aesthetic more. And 7 has a better villain

FTF

Amazing game and one of the goats.

But still sad the dream is dead of part 1 remake coming out this year for its 20th.

Nairume

Banned
It is physically impossible for a FF7 to occur without hyperbole. You have one crowd saying it has the most amazing characters and story of all time (lol) and one that calls it the most overhyped and overworshipped game of all time.

There is no middle ground and never will be, lol. That first reply made me smile tho. XD
I think there absolutely is a middle ground. Despite being the thread starter, FF7 honestly rates around the middle of the franchise for me and it absolutely does have a lot of flaws that keep becoming more apparent as it gets older.

That said, I absolutely acknowledge its importance to gaming history, fondly look back on my old time with it, and still enjoy playing it now.

And 7 has a better villain
Sephiroth is the more iconic and memorable villain, but I'd say Kefka is maybe better at actually being a villain.

Kuja is a perfected version of both, but is less memorable because he doesn't do nearly as much that catches your attention as much as Kefka and Sephiroth do

ubercheez

This is the version of Final Fantasy VII I owned back then...

55A9A0D4105D241939355EBFBD1888451FA32063

I had it for months, and could never get it to work on my Windows 98 PC, so I could never play it. Sadly I ended up selling it in a yard sale. I kinda regret doing that. The original PC port had some really nice packaging though...

7DNg3bAadUFmYsyhdvwfx6.jpg

I still never played Final Fantasy VII to this day.

Haha, this is the version I own! That funky trapezoid box that Eidos loved.

I just replayed the game last year, and I'm sure nostalgia played heavily into my enjoyment of it, but I loved every minute of it. And that soundtrack! While the graphics have aged for the worse, the music has aged for the better. I'd put it on the short list of greatest soundtracks of all time.

The Main Theme in particular is such an amazing composition. This one piece covers the entire emotional gamut of the game -- melancholy, hope, fear, resolve... it brings it all together.

guyssorry

A hugely influential game (for better or worse). Although I think it is hugely flawed and tedious to get through, it's still a good game that has some great qualities and is worth at least one playthrough.

Sephzilla

Sephiroth is the more iconic and memorable villain, but I'd say Kefka is maybe better at actually being a villain.

Kefka is too cliche and one-note for me. He spends most of the first half of the game acting like a secondary villain while we're led to believe Emperor Gestahl, a way more interesting antagonist, is the real villain. Then after other people set up everything that leads to the World of Ruin, Kefka more or less just does one action and suddenly gets credit for everything for some reason. Then Kefka is almost entirely absent from the second half of the game. He's easily the worst aspect of FF6, and it's shocking how bad of a character he is considering FF6 has the strongest ensemble of characters in the franchise in my opinion.

I prefer Sephiroth because I think his fallen hero backstory and motivation is way more interesting, plus he's way more of a personal antagonist for the heroes of that story.

Tyaren

What a wasted opportunity that they couldn't manage to release at least part 1 one of FFVII Remake today or at least this anniversary year.
Same goes for Soul Calibur's 20th birthday last year and all they did was playing some guessing games on Twitter and Facebook with fans. Amazing. XD

Nairume

Banned
What a wasted opportunity that they couldn't manage to release at least part 1 one of FFVII Remake today or at least this anniversary year.
Same goes for Soul Calibur's 20th birthday last year and all they did was playing some guessing games on Twitter and Facebook with fans. Amazing. XD
I'm honestly surprised there aren't any major sales going on for it. Today would be a good day for Steam, Humble, or PSN to be like "Happy 20th anniversary! Try the legend at a discount if you haven't already enjoyed it!"

nick_b

This game devoured my summer at age 12. Just me and the strategy guide. I'd tell friends I didn't want to do anything so I could play this game. Everything about it seemed magical at the time. It was perfect for that childlike wonder stage of life. So so good.

Also I got to the crater and found it too hard so I dropped the game.

I've still never beaten it.

I still have my original copy with the strategy guide and PlayStation sitting on my bookshelf. I also own it on PC and Vita.

I am ashamed.

I still remember eagerly awaiting the arrival of gaming magazines each month to see if there would be any new FFVII screenshots. Those graphics looked so groundbreaking at the time.

Now, while there are any number of aspects of the game I can criticize, at the end of the day it's still fun to play and if that's not indicative of a good game, I don't know what is.

Neptonic

While I still like FF8's soundtrack more overall, FF7 has some amazing tracks. The bombing mission theme is so fucking great.

The remake episodes are going to be complete in its entire by it's 25th anniversary, isn't it...
and by that I mean its 30th anniversary

Played it day 1 in 97. Replayed many times throughout the years. Replayed and earned the platinum on the PS4 version last year. The GOAT.

mortal

Gold Member
An amazing and memorable game, yet I resent how chained Square became to FFVII after its success. Presonally, I feel it became too much of a sacred cow, leading to some creative inhibition from Square as game designers.

As great of an RPG it may be, I don't need them trying to recapture "the magic" with every other new entry in the Final Fantasy series.

Widge

Crazy stuff. I can honestly say no game (and probably no single piece of media) has affected me and stayed with me through the years, the way FFVII has. Will probably never be topped.

Same. I rip it to shit in threads sometimes but god damn it has set up in a part of my heart and will never leave.

HotHamBoy

First PS1 game I played with Crash Bandicoot, was 9 years old so didn't understand much. Used dictionary a lot.

Lol it must have been so confusing.

"Beacause you are... a puppet."

"This guy are sick"

"Off course!" "No, way!"

"Do, what now?"

"I'm so exited!"

ApharmdX

Banned
Final Fantasy VII remains in my fond memories. I haven't played it in a long time. I think the last time I played it was on PC with my Voodoo5 5500, so that would have been in 2000? The game hasn't aged particularly well but it is still an industry milestone, and stood as the best 3d Final Fantasy until XI arrived.

Still better than FF6 even 20 years later

It really isn't.

Final Fantasy VII helped change the landscape of video games because it turned the JRPG genre into a mainstream genre instead of a niche genre (like how Star Wars helped propel sci-fi/fantasy from niche to more mainstream) and FF7 was also one of the big things that legitimized the Playstation 1 - which was a landscape changing shift back in the day when Nintendo ruled all.

Now this is true. FFVII was a deciding factor in why the PS1 crushed the N64. There were other factors (the PS1 was overall a superior console) but VII was a major part of that.

Top Bottom