• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question regarding Anxious Heart: Is the music in this the same as on the PSX or from the OST? I was confused about this after reading the OP of the thread for it (linked in our OP).

Sami+

I can't believe it. They do. I had to paste them in AFTER running the initial launcher... the initial launcher actually wipes them on startup.

Something so simple has made me so happy. I can't believe it. I had tons of saves, each at key points in the story, each trying to attempt certain unique events or things. It's indescribable how much of a nostalgia trip this is, going through saves from over 10 years ago... man.

The only thing is, it appears to wipe my saves every time I re-open the launcher. I don't know if there's a way to force the game to stop doing that, as it's kind of annoying. Also the Cloud Saving is currently unavailable, it says?

Is there an easy way to import all the original music into the game?

Oh? My girlfriend and I might be sharing save files when we play - do you know where they all go? We tried putting my "save00.ff7" file in her "save" folder, but it didn't work.

Maybe it's because we're running bootleg?

Edit: OH FUCK ME, IT WENT ON SALE? I BOUGHT IT LIKE THREE DAYS AGO. ONE FOR ME AND ONE FOR HER.

Sigh. Well, at least she doesn't check Steam - she'd feel really guilty about it if she saw.

BasilZero

This would be beautiful.

I'd still want a full remake though, to be honest. Have it run on XV's engine and keep the battle system the same. I'd buy it twice. ♥

Got my game running, in any case. Stuck with keyboard controls because it's stupid, but oh well.

51e9c76aa82a6.jpg

which mod is that by any chance?

I think that looks too doll like. I personally like the PS1 models without the mouth. Perhaps some kind of cartoonish look would suffice.

rockx4

Got the game today and there is a really annoying issues. The black bar at the bottom of the screen is annoying as hell. I thought it was my video card scaling, but I tried running the game at 640x480 windowed and there's still the black bar at the bottom.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it doesn't give you the option to install it somewhere else, which I thought was odd since pretty much everything these days does. Or at least I didn't see it.

My Steam installation is on a different drive, fortunately.

In that case SteamTool/Steam Mover should do the trick.

Don't those use NTSC Junctions? That will still point to the original installation directory but just have the files on another drive. Might still be a problem because the reason Bootleg won't work in Program Files is administrator privilege issues.

Grayman

I am looking at this very slow download as the path to least resistance to modding the game out. Too bad someone couldn't just upload a good single setup that is smaller than the hardly seeded 17GB collection.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh? My girlfriend and I might be sharing save files when we play - do you know where they all go? We tried putting my "save00.ff7" file in her "save" folder, but it didn't work.

Maybe it's because we're running bootleg?

Edit: OH FUCK ME, IT WENT ON SALE? I BOUGHT IT LIKE THREE DAYS AGO. ONE FOR ME AND ONE FOR HER.

Sigh. Well, at least she doesn't check Steam - she'd feel really guilty about it if she saw.

I haven't installed any mods, so I just put them in the save directory in My Documents. It ends up deleting them upon starting the launcher (where you login to your Steam account), but if you add them after starting the launcher, you can play them just fine. I'm trying to find a more reliable workaround because you'll have to backup your saves to another folder after every session or the launcher will delete them.

EDIT: It's a really simple solution, actually. Just make sure to resave in one of your existing slots. That'll stop them from disappearing every time you run the launcher.

The cloud saving feature was offline yesterday night, it took a loooot of time for the game to realize this.
Now, the service seems back and, for the first time, it actually uploads saves to the cloud! I hope it'll stay that way from now on.

Link Man

Banned
The Google docs Anxious Heart download in the OP no longer works, does anyone have a link to a non-torrent download of the mod?

Edit: Nevermind, Firefox doesn't like Google Docs. Downloading in Chrome.

Link Man

Banned
Just got to the first save point. Game runs buttery smooth, which is a new experience and quite welcome. Doesn't look that bad at 1080p, either.

McNum

Hmm, trying to get this game to run with a controller is harder than it should be. I thought a Street Fighter IV FightPad would have been perfect, but the game can't read the LT and RT buttons since they're technically analog axes as it's based off the 360 Controller. Also tried one of those, but same problem. This game needs 10 buttons and if LT and RT are out of order, then it only has 8.

I could, of course, try my Cthulhu modded Arcade Stick, it has 10 digital buttons and runs on my PC just fine, but by then it gets a little silly. I mean, FF7 on an arcade stick? That's probably overkill.

Anyone got any tips on getting this to work?

I can't remember what's what with buttons, anyway. What does [SWITCH] do and what two buttons do I need to hold down to escape a battle? [PAGE UP] and [PAGE DOWN]?

linkboy

Hmm, trying to get this game to run with a controller is harder than it should be. I thought a Street Fighter IV FightPad would have been perfect, but the game can't read the LT and RT buttons since they're technically analog axes as it's based off the 360 Controller. Also tried one of those, but same problem. This game needs 10 buttons and if LT and RT are out of order, then it only has 8.

I could, of course, try my Cthulhu modded Arcade Stick, it has 10 digital buttons and runs on my PC just fine, but by then it gets a little silly. I mean, FF7 on an arcade stick? That's probably overkill.

Anyone got any tips on getting this to work?

I can't remember what's what with buttons, anyway. What does [SWITCH] do and what two buttons do I need to hold down to escape a battle? [PAGE UP] and [PAGE DOWN]?

You might need a controller that supports the older Directinput.

The Logitech PC controllers do.

Baleoce

I can configure my 360 controller in the menu. Yet when I go into the game it doesn't do anything and I have to resort to keyboard.

They did a flash sale on this? ugh what a bad time to do it, 2am to 10am GMT I bet a lot of euros missed it.

How much was off? 50%?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't those use NTSC Junctions? That will still point to the original installation directory but just have the files on another drive. Might still be a problem because the reason Bootleg won't work in Program Files is administrator privilege issues.

Yeah, I'm not sure myself, which is why I was sure to say "should" (my thinking is that perhaps it'd work as there's no need to actually access Program Files since Bootleg would be pointed in a different direction -- but I'm not intimately familiar with junctions/symbolic links outside of knowing that the former is limited to directories while the latter also supports files and network shares). I was supposed to pick up the game today but I missed its Flash Sale on Steam.

Link Man

Banned
Got Anxious Heart installed, and now the game is perfect (well, almost perfect, but there's nothing to be done about the prerendered backgrounds).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do i have to run the bootleg everytime i want to play with mods? This thing takes forever to launch.

Edit : Ok, i see, it creates a new shortcut... but that shit isn't using the custom keyboard settings that i chose in the FF7 Launcher before. And no music too..

Man, why can it just work for once? :(

Edit2 : Finally managed to make everything work. Its weird though, Barret seems to go into a charging animation whenever i ask him to Attack, i dont remember this. A glitch with the new model?

Baleoce

Got Anxious Heart installed, and now the game is perfect (well, almost perfect, but there's nothing to be done about the prerendered backgrounds).

yeah that's pretty much all I did to it. I don't care much for texture mods, but the music change-out was an absolute must xD

Sami+

Thanks, this works. I uninstalled Motioninjoy now, but one thing is still bumming me out. The game only shows the keyboard settings and the pad only works partially. For example the D-pad doesn't work :/

The joystick tab won't let me set the directional buttons.

I ran into the same issue. Don't think there's anything you can do. I just gave up and used the keyboard.

... It doesn't feel right though... :c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom