• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

So when I go to the Limit Break menu.

It gives Break 1-4, do I earn these by leveling up? Or do I have to do special tasks?

What does the 'set' command do?
Each Limit Break level from 1-3 has two Limit Breaks available. Using Cloud as an example here, his first level is Braver and Cross-Slash.

To unlock the second limit break in a level, you just use the first enough. To unlock a new level, you must have that character defeat enemies until the level unlocks. I believe this only starts counting after you've unlocked both limits on the level.

Level 4 is different. You have to find an item for each character and use it. But... not all level 4 limits are created equally. Some characters might be better off staying at level 3.

Vincent and Cait Sith are different. Vincent only has one limit per level and Cait only has two limits at all, his ultimate limit is a level 2 limit rather than a 4.

The Set command lets you set your limit level. The higher it is, the more damage you have to take to break, but you get to use the limits of that level. It's rare you want to set this lower than what you've unlocked, but there are certain times where you may want to.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
To unlock the second limit break in a level, you just use the first enough. To unlock a new level, you must have that character defeat enemies until the level unlocks. I believe this only starts counting after you've unlocked both limits on the level.

I don't think this is accurate. It was possible to learn Limit Breaks out of order, though only really through grinding. They planned it out pretty well so that normal playthroughs would get the Limit Breaks sequentially.

I'm currently playing with modded music and achievements.

Did you have to install them outside of the Program Files? I really don't want to uninstall and use another program to install it elsewhere right now.

McNum

I don't think this is accurate. It was possible to learn Limit Breaks out of order, though only really through grinding. They planned it out pretty well so that normal playthroughs would get the Limit Breaks sequentially.
I haven't seen that happen, but I won't count it out either. Cloud usually ends up with both his level 3s first, simple because he's mandatory for nearly all of the game.

Sora_N

So when I go to the Limit Break menu.

It gives Break 1-4, do I earn these by leveling up? Or do I have to do special tasks?

What does the 'set' command do?

Check Green Man Gaming right now, I believe its like $9 after coupon.

Thanks!

I'm currently playing with modded music and achievements.

Thanks for confirming! Will buy.

EDIT: Lol, last year (exactly a year ago) I bought Last Remnant from GMG. Interesting.

Nah, don't think they can learn limits out of order. Pretty sure it's like:

2-1 Takes X-Number of kills by that character
2-2 Requires you to use Limit 2-1 X-Number of times

And the Level 4 limits are found in various locations and can be used as soon as limit 3-2 is learned.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I haven't seen that happen, but I won't count it out either. Cloud usually ends up with both his level 3s first, simple because he's mandatory for nearly all of the game.

I played this game to death and powerleveled a lot. In one playthrough, I had most character's Limit Break 3 before Fort Condor (by farming enemies in the caves). I'm pretty certain.

Nah, don't think they can go out of order. Pretty sure it's like:

2-1 Takes X-Number of kills by that character
2-2 Requires you to use Limit 2-1 X-Number of times

And the Level 4 limits are found in various locations and can be used as soon as limit 3-2 is learned.

You can get 3-1 before you get 2-2. You just need to get the kills before using the Limit Breaks. Like I said, this really only happens when you're farming/grinding.

Link Man

Banned
Yeah, I had a game where Tifa didn't learn 2-2 (the dolphin attack) and I couldn't figure out why. I guess it's because I just sucked at the slots.

McNum

There are so many things I can't remember about this game now.

But sticking with Limit Breaks for a moment. What characters is it that shouldn't use their level 4?

I know these five:
Cloud wants Omnislash, no question there.
Tifa wants the full row of slots, too.
Vincent should get Chaos, just because it's Chaos. His limits are kind of... eh. Deathblow with the sniper rifle or Death Penalty is better.
Cait Sith should probably get Slots.
Cid gets Highwind.

But for the rest...
Barret comes down to Catastrophe vs. Angermax. I think Angermax wins out, barely.
Yuffie shouldn't use All Creation. It's only a single 9999 hit, and she has Doom of the Living, if I remember right.
Red XIII has the same issue as Yuffie.
Aeris is a pain to raise due to the kills requirements. Also, you know, her availability.

So, have I got those right?

Grayman

Also on limits the Fury and Sadness statuses make your limit gauge move faster/slower and damage taken go up or down a bit. Use items hyper or tranquil i think.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's pretty accurate, McNum.

Basically, once you get to the end game and max level, Level 4 Limit Breaks that only hit once are worthless because they can only do a max of 9999 damage. You can always boost your characters to do more base damage, but you can't get more hits. As a general rule, whichever Limit Break does the most hits should be one that you equip.

Sora_N

Wow, game aged pretty well to me. I guess the PC version is a little better than PS1. Don't really feel the need to mod it for now. :)

Yasae

Banned
There are so many things I can't remember about this game now.

But sticking with Limit Breaks for a moment. What characters is it that shouldn't use their level 4?

I know these five:
Cloud wants Omnislash, no question there.
Tifa wants the full row of slots, too.
Vincent should get Chaos, just because it's Chaos. His limits are kind of... eh. Deathblow with the sniper rifle or Death Penalty is better.
Cait Sith should probably get Slots.
Cid gets Highwind.

But for the rest...
Barret comes down to Catastrophe vs. Angermax. I think Angermax wins out, barely.
Yuffie shouldn't use All Creation. It's only a single 9999 hit, and she has Doom of the Living, if I remember right.
Red XIII has the same issue as Yuffie.
Aeris is a pain to raise due to the kills requirements. Also, you know, her availability.

So, have I got those right?
For a single enemy: Stardust Moon?

Wow, game aged pretty well to me. I guess the PC version is a little better than PS1. Don't really feel the need to mod it for now. :)

This is good news to me. I enjoyed this game so much as a kid, I'm thinking of saving this game for a special occasion (maybe play through it when my firstborn arrives, turn the music up and show them some quality gaming, hehe).

Sora_N

This is good news to me. I enjoyed this game so much as a kid, I'm thinking of saving this game for a special occasion (maybe play through it when my firstborn arrives, turn the music up and show them some quality gaming, hehe).

I think you'll feel the same way I did. I have not played FFVII for 8-9 years so actually feels semi-fresh to me. Maybe the fixed music did the trick too. ;)

I'm done with "Part 2" since this morning, and it's the first time I'm there! Almost every other attempt at playing this game died out at the end of Part 1, because of various reasons.

So, I really liked the events in Part 2...the truth about what really happened, the backstory of most characters, the cutscenes, ...

I know Part 3 is super short so I don't know if I should get out of the last zone now and do optional stuff or wait until I'm further in and then get out. I'll make up my mind before my next play session.

I think you'll feel the same way I did. I have not played FFVII for 8-9 years so actually feels semi-fresh to me. Maybe the fixed music did the trick too. ;)

Yeah, the music really sets the scene for me. When I hear that boss battle tone, I know it's game time :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm done with "Part 2" since this morning, and it's the first time I'm there! Almost every other attempt at playing this game died out at the end of Part 1, because of various reasons.

So, I really liked the events in Part 2...the truth about what really happened, the backstory of most characters, the cutscenes, ...

I know Part 3 is super short so I don't know if I should get out of the last zone now and do optional stuff or wait until I'm further in and then get out. I'll make up my mind before my next play session.

I actually think the game starts going downhill in disc 2 and only has a few high points from there on. Disk 1 is pretty good for the most part though.

What I think it is, is that I enjoy the game more when it's more about Shinra than when it's about Sephiroth, and the more the game goes on the more it's about him. Chances are other people feel the opposite, because I tend to have weird opinions.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

When I was a kid, I was always worried about even entering the dungeon before doing all the optional quests. While there is a point of no return, my concerns were mostly unwarranted because it's pretty obvious and you can always make your way back if you need to.

The final dungeon is the easiest place to level up and AP farm for materia. So, that's one reason why you might want to explore it (other than the downed plane, where you can farm sources).

I actually think the game starts going downhill in disc 2 and only has a few high points from there on. Disk 1 is pretty good for the most part though.

What I think it is, is that I enjoy the game more when it's more about Shinra than when it's about Sephiroth, and the more the game goes on the more it's about him. Chances are other people feel the opposite, because I tend to have weird opinions.

I think the game just becomes more confusing and nebulous. With Shinra involved, everything is pretty clear cut, even with the scheming and backstabbing. When Sephiroth is involved, you're constantly questioning your quest and your role. It's a dark turn that is a little unsettling. I definitely find it easier to replay Disc 1 than Disc 2, but I think that Disc 2's tone shift made for something special.

TommyT

just come across this today on Kickstarter. I want to support it but Is this even legal? Shit, i don't want to donate and then it wont get made cuz Square come after them later. Can someone find out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-fantasy-vii-the-web-series-unofficial-fan-pr

concept video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36HbN0w8x4

Edit: Well, in there title it say "(Unofficial Fan Project)" hmmmm

From their FAQs:

Just like any other Kickstarter project, you're only pledging by backing us. And, just like any other Kickstarter project, a failure on our part to deliver at any stage results in either a cancellation of the pledge or a refund if the money has already been actually donated after a successful funding campaign.

-------
When am I able to use controller in the game?

It took me a while to set this up: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInp...-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller?pid=281823#pid281823

I tested it on some emulator and the controller works fine now (woot wireless!) but I could not change anything in FFVII. Weird.

From the moment the blue screen pops up where you have to press 'x' on your keyboard to continue, you're able to use a controller. I used MotionJoy for my DS3 and it was pretty straightforward. Somewhere in this thread are the button mappings as well.

Wazzy

Banned
just come across this today on Kickstarter. I want to support it but Is this even legal? Shit, i don't want to donate and then it wont get made cuz Square come after them later. Can someone find out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-fantasy-vii-the-web-series-unofficial-fan-pr

concept video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36HbN0w8x4

Edit: Well, in there title it say "(Unofficial Fan Project)" hmmmm
Looks horrible. I hope it doesn't get made.

Work on FFVIII may have just started, registry app just updated for the first time since work started on FFVII.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss! Release it into my veinssssssssssss.

McNum

How much better is the PC version's translation than the PSX game? Are there any translation patches that are particularly good?
The PC translation is more or less the PSX translation gone over for grammatical errors and readability. For example, I took a screenshot to illustrate. I changed the name, though. She's still Aeris by default.

The digital PC version also has a few bugfixes, notably Magic Defense on armor actually does something now. You'll probably take less damage from magic than you remember.

Grief.exe

So is Tifa's bootleg worth installing? Seems to be a bit of work...

Up to you, it does require a time commitment though.

This is my first time through FFVII and I have no issues with older games. What I do take issue with is poor audio quality.

I just have the Anxious Heart mod installed currently. And I cannot vouch for that mod enough.

This is my first time through FFVII and I have no issues with older games. What I do take issue with is poor audio quality.

I just have the Anxious Heart mod installed currently. And I cannot vouch for that mod enough.

Thanks.

Anybody have a good fix or mod for mapping controls to the d-pad instead of the analog stick? For all intents and purposes I'm using a 360 controller.

MCD

It's strange they didn't bother to fix the music at least.

The PC translation is more or less the PSX translation gone over for grammatical errors and readability. For example, I took a screenshot to illustrate. I changed the name, though. She's still Aeris by default.

The digital PC version also has a few bugfixes, notably Magic Defense on armor actually does something now. You'll probably take less damage from magic than you remember.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

This is how I feel. I thought I'd never go back to that game, but once I heard it was probably coming to Steam I got excited. One more time...
7 works with saves from the original pc version right? I was doing a no level up run in 8 a few years ago but I lost the discs in a move. I'd love to finish that up in a Steam released version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom