• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've accepted that FFVII looks the way it does and always will look that way...

But it's a crying shame that those pre-rendered backgrounds don't seem to exist in any higher resolution than they do on the PS game. Not having an easy way to store large amounts of digital data back in the day probably kept this from happening. I love the way they did crazy lighting in this game's backgrounds.

Sami+

You can use something like xpadder to bind the directional keys to the dpad.

How do you assign the buttons? I'm using WASD.

Also, I found a better Tifa model if anyone's interested. Click on the picture for the link - just go into Final Fantasy 7 > data > battle and replace the "battle.lgp" file with the one I've uploaded.

In comparison, this is what Tifa's bootleg defaults to.

TifaNew.jpg

Epix

I'm trying to use BFE but it's confusing. Do I have to go out and manually download all these mods being referenced in the BFE tool? I thought it would automate that....

Sami+

I already downloaded the Bootleg.zip file (300+ MB). I'm trying to use BFE but goddam if it's not the most confusing tool I've ever used. Not to mention the tutorial (if that's what you can call it) reads like it was written in Assembly.

You need Tifa's Package. Around 17 GB if I remember correctly.

Go to the "Installation" tab in BFE and make sure all the right directories are selected, then check "Mod Listing", and if there are no red buttons you should be good. "Run Bootleg" and let it do its thing.

Epix

You need Tifa's Package. Around 17 GB if I remember correctly.

Go to the "Installation" tab in BFE and make sure all the right directories are selected, then check "Mod Listing", and if there are no red buttons you should be good. "Run Bootleg" and let it do its thing.

Do I install "Tifa's Package" in the same directory as BFE?

knitoe

I am also having problems with Tifa bootleg. According to the mod listing, everything green and yellow using the full preset. So, I run the bootleg. Load the game and I get a black screen with music. Tried reinstall a few times already. Are you need to download all the mods (17GB)? According to the guide, seems no. Any other preset that might work?

SOLDIER

How do you assign the buttons? I'm using WASD.

Also, I found a better Tifa model if anyone's interested. Click on the picture for the link - just go into Final Fantasy 7 > data > battle and replace the "battle.lgp" file with the one I've uploaded.

In comparison, this is what Tifa's bootleg defaults to.

TifaNew.jpg

Not bad. This one's based off the KH model, right?

Too bad they can't come up with KH-quality models for the whole cast. That look balances out the best I think. Not too chibi, not too realistic.

Sami+

I am also having problems with Tifa bootleg. According to the mod listing, everything green and yellow using the full preset. So, I run the bootleg. Load the game and I get a black screen with music. Tried reinstall a few times already. Are you need to download all the mods (17GB)? According to the guide, seems no. Any other preset that might work?

Try to turn off the shaders in Final Fantasy VII bootloader, that worked for me.

I'm not sure if there are any other presets that work.

Link Man

Banned
Well, just tried this game on my laptop with well under minimum specs (laptop has 1.2 gHz processor and integrated graphics, probably nowhere near DirectX 9). It ran totally fine, only a couple of slight delays in a couple of battles.

Thought some of you might find this useful:

GI8S0eH.png

Suggested configuration to match the original PSX version as much as possible.

I couldn't figure out what the fuck buttons to use to restore stamina during Chocobo races, and found this on the Steam community page. I think the four L and R buttons are actually switched, because I thought it was supposed to be R1 and R2, while using this it is L1 and L2 which makes it kind of awkward since you have to hold down the control stick that steers. But, still useful.

Link Man

Banned
Thought some of you might find this useful:

GI8S0eH.png

Suggested configuration to match the original PSX version as much as possible.

I couldn't figure out what the fuck buttons to use to restore stamina during Chocobo races, and found this on the Steam community page. I think the four L and R buttons are actually switched, because I thought it was supposed to be R1 and R2, while using this it is L1 and L2 which makes it kind of awkward since you have to hold down the control stick that steers. But, still useful.

Wait, you can restore Stamina?!

I don't know about restoring but I remember you can slow down fatigue if you held down all shoulder buttons.

Wait, you can restore Stamina?!

Yeah, it'll restore it. You may be going too fast if it's not refilling when you're not boosting. Just slow down a notch or two, and hold those two buttons, stamina will refill. I always boost out the gate, spend the middle of the race refilling, then boost again at the end.

knitoe

Try to turn off the shaders in Final Fantasy VII bootloader, that worked for me.

I'm not sure if there are any other presets that work.

Thanks. Turning off shader did the trick.

Edit: It seems like the music, over world, battle and etc., aren't working. Sound effects does seem to be working. Any ideas?

fleck0

Thanks. Turning off shader did the trick.

Edit: It seems like the music, over world, battle and etc., aren't working. Sound effects does seem to be working. Any ideas?

I had a couple reinstalls that were caused by me doing things to tifas bootleg installing the music.

One was I didn't uncheck 'run FF7' when bootleg finished installing the music mods. The other time I had accidentally selected the OST (instead of the original PSX music) while in the BFE.exe launcher I had selected the original PSX music.

Those had weird effects such as music not looping properly or chocobo races being silent. Everything was fine for me once I made sure my choices lined up between the BFE launcher and the F7Music installer that launches while modding.

knitoe

I had a couple reinstalls that were caused by me doing things to tifas bootleg installing the music.

One was I didn't uncheck 'run FF7' when bootleg finished installing the music mods. The other time I had accidentally selected the OST (instead of the original PSX music) while in the BFE.exe launcher I had selected the original PSX music.

Those had weird effects such as music not looping properly or chocobo races being silent. Everything was fine for me once I made sure my choices lined up between the BFE launcher and the F7Music installer that launches while modding.

Fix the problem. Had to go into FF7music program, configure and change the input plugin from vgstream.dll to mad.dll.

Another question, I am only get ~29fps. Surely, 2600K@4.5GHz + SLI Titans can do better.

Fou-Lu

So why won't FF7 Game Converter work for me? The guide tells you to move FF7 to another folder outside of steam, but it can't seem to find it anywhere else. (As in I used steam mover to move it)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So why won't FF7 Game Converter work for me? The guide tells you to move FF7 to another folder outside of steam, but it can't seem to find it anywhere else. (As in I used steam mover to move it)

Steam Mover uses NTFS junctions, so the physical location is different, but the computer is still pointing to the same place on the drive map.

That means according to Windows and all your software it's still in your Program Files directory, or wherever you have Steam installed.

You could try just copying and pasting the files somewhere else. Not sure if that works or not.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Everyone who's running Tifa's Bootleg, did you have to install the game outside of Program Files? They say it's recommended, but I wanted to see if it's really necessary. Does it mess with the achievements and cloud saving?

Also, do I still need to run Anxious Heart separately?

Grief.exe

Everyone who's running Tifa's Bootleg, did you have to install the game outside of Program Files? They say it's recommended, but I wanted to see if it's really necessary. Does it mess with the achievements and cloud saving?

Also, do I still need to run Anxious Heart separately?

Yes you need to install FF7 outside Program Files, windows has increased security within that file location.

Tifa's reverts the game to the 1998 PC version so achievements and cloud saves are gone. Of course, you can just redownload the game later and use that save to unlockt he achievements.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yes you need to install FF7 outside Program Files, windows has increased security within that file location.

Tifa's reverts the game to the 1998 PC version so achievements and cloud saves are gone. Of course, you can just redownload the game later and use that save to unlockt he achievements.

Thanks for the info! That makes sense. Since I already have it installed in Program Files, I'll just play my old saves until I have all the achievements, then I'll work on modding it and making a fresh game.

Sami+

Oh shit, just realized my Google Docs upload takes into account all of my battle models, not just Tifa. Sorry about that, I'll try and remember to link Tifa's files alone once I get home, but it's a bit of a hassle to put in. You have to decompress the lgp file, overwrite Tifa's files, and then recompress it.

Does anyone have any other good character models? Sephiroth, Yuffie, and Vincent all look kind of bad, and a good field model for Tifa would be nice.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So when I installed this from Steam I decided to poke around through the movie folder and watch the FMVs, and I happened to notice that ending2.avi was missing. Just jumps straight from ending1 to ending3 (which is the epilogue). Am I the only one seeing that or is it supposed to be that way?

Grief.exe

Oh shit, just realized my Google Docs upload takes into account all of my battle models, not just Tifa. Sorry about that, I'll try and remember to link Tifa's files alone once I get home, but it's a bit of a hassle to put in. You have to decompress the lgp file, overwrite Tifa's files, and then recompress it.

Does anyone have any other good character models? Sephiroth, Yuffie, and Vincent all look kind of bad, and a good field model for Tifa would be nice.

Are you uploading the best mods to a google docs Tifa's Bootleg install?

I will add to OP if you are, have been looking for someone to do this.

So when I installed this from Steam I decided to poke around through the movie folder and watch the FMVs, and I happened to notice that ending2.avi was missing. Just jumps straight from ending1 to ending3 (which is the epilogue). Am I the only one seeing that or is it supposed to be that way?

Mine isn't there either. They may have changed the title.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Using updated models outside of combat makes for some funny/awkward animations. They obviously werent made for anything else than the "chibi lego" models from the original.

Mindman

What are you guys recommending as the best/easiest way to use the 360 controller for this game after Tifa's Bootloader has been installed?

Grief.exe

Well I did go looking through all of them and none match what ending2 is supposed to be. So who knows.

When I eventually beat the game, I will tell you what happened and you can verify for me.

It would suck to miss a portion of the game's story due to this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ending2 is the actual ending. It has to be in there renamed somewhere. Or stuck somewhere else.

Edit: ending2 is in another folder. It's in lang-en\movies

alf717

I still own the original PC version. Is it possible to mod in the original PS1 music with the retail version of the game? Everything seem to point to the 2012 release. I already have it running but that midi music has got to go.

Grief.exe

I still own the original PC version. Is it possible to mod in the original PS1 music with the retail version of the game? Everything seem to point to the 2012 release. I already have it running but that midi music has got to go.

Anxious Heart should work with the original release.

Yes, patch out the music. That was actually the first thing I noticed.

Fou-Lu

Steam Mover uses NTFS junctions, so the physical location is different, but the computer is still pointing to the same place on the drive map.

That means according to Windows and all your software it's still in your Program Files directory, or wherever you have Steam installed.

You could try just copying and pasting the files somewhere else. Not sure if that works or not.

Nothing I do seems to work. I might just say screw bootleg and stick with Anxious Heart then...

Sami+

Are you uploading the best mods to a google docs Tifa's Bootleg install?

I will add to OP if you are, have been looking for someone to do this.

Mine isn't there either. They may have changed the title.

Well Tifa's Bootleg basically alters the entire game, so I'd have to upload the whole thing, unless I'm misinterpreting? I just selected what I wanted and let the installer do its thing, to be honest. Only reason I threw the Doc up there was because the Tifa mod needs you to decompress the battle.lgp manually, put the files in, and then recompress it and put it back. Figured I'd save you guys the trouble.

alf717

Anxious Heart should work with the original release.

Yes, patch out the music. That was actually the first thing I noticed.

Thanks for the tip. Sadly It doesn't seem to work for me. I still get the midi music for some reason.

Edit:

Got it! Had to remove a hash tag from one of the settings.

spunodi

Hi there everyone, generally read here more than participate but noticed a while ago upthread that someone would have liked the Voices of the Lifestream ReMix album to be modded into the soundtrack. Well, I thought I'd give it a go and so here's a link to a load of normalised and looped music which works for me (not fully played through yet, but very fitting from what I've tried out so far which is a large part of the game).

http://www.4shared.com/zip/foEx6QL2/FFVII_-_VotL_Soundtrack_Mod.html

You need to login to download; it takes a Facebook login for convenience but it's far more usable for me than other filesharing websites; of course any mirrors would be greatly appreciated.

If there's any feedback on this so I can add fixes etc. please let me know. This is a simple one, simply replace the music_ogg folder with this one - should work without further utilities on the 2012 / 2013 PC release. Use with Anxious Heart for other versions or as an alternate selection.

Much love.

Epix

I'm running the FF7Config utility and the max resolution it's letting me select is 640x480. That doesnt seem right.

knitoe

What are you guys recommending as the best/easiest way to use the 360 controller for this game after Tifa's Bootloader has been installed?

I use Pinnacle Gamer Profiler program and a user created FF7 profile. Works great. The Pinnacle program cost $15. It was worth it for me since I have lots of games that don't have controller support and there are profiles for almost every game.

I'm running the FF7Config utility and the max resolution it's letting me select is 640x480. That doesnt seem right.
Under graphics, use custom render. Then, in boot loader, enter the res you want.

Grief.exe

So when I go to the Limit Break menu.

It gives Break 1-4, do I earn these by leveling up? Or do I have to do special tasks?

What does the 'set' command do?

Thanks, I might do this. How much was the flash sale though?

Is it possible to mod just the music and keep the achievement/cloud saves?

Check Green Man Gaming right now, I believe its like $9 after coupon.

Mindman

I use Pinnacle Gamer Profiler program and a user created FF7 profile. Works great. The Pinnacle program cost $15. It was worth it for me since I have lots of games that don't have controller support and there are profiles for almost every game.

Under graphics, use custom render. Then, in boot loader, enter the res you want.

Are you using the modded Tifa's bootleg copy though?

Grayman

So when I go to the Limit Break menu.

It gives Break 1-4, do I earn these by leveling up? Or do I have to do special tasks?

What does the 'set' command do?

Check Green Man Gaming right now, I believe its like $9 after coupon.

Characters are set to one limit break level at a time. Higher levels are more powerful but take more damage to activate. So level 1 you can use your limit all the time for small damage level 4 much less often for big damage.

To unlock them:
Each level is unlocked by getting the killing blow on a certain amount of enemies. I think it is 80. The second limit of each level takes 8 uses of the first. Level 4 limit breaks take a special item for each character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom