• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster has been delayed to 2014 according to SE reps @ PAX

There is still ample time to delay KH HD. I know you want to do it SE!

TGS most likely.
Nomura made it sound that it will be announced at Disney event in October. Either that or TGS. It will probably be cross-gen too.

Do we really need HD remasters of HD remasters?

Also, I'm expecting 2.5 to get announced either later this year or very early next year with a PS3 release around Q2 or Q3.

Yes because I need my native 1080p games. When the games internally render below 720p then scale up we have something wrong. It's not truly an HD remaster and all the reworking goes down the drain.

Yuterald

Whatevs, was sort of in the mood to replay FFX (because I haven't since it first came out), but it's not like there aren't a million other cool, new games releasing by the end of the year. Shit can wait.

Jeels

Well, I'm happy there seems to be a reconfirmation of physical releases on Vita, that's all I wanted, I can be patient until then.

That and KH1.5 is going to last me a very long time, that and I can always subscribe to FFXIV when the servers don't suck.

I am not upset. I would much rather it be delayed than be released in a sorry state like Silent Hill or ZoE was. They seem to be busting their ass on making this one of the best HD remasters in gaming history. But yeah, I am sure it's delayed because they are an incompetent joke of a company that hates their fans.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whatevs, was sort of in the mood to replay FFX (because I haven't since it first came out), but it's not like there aren't a million other cool, new games releasing by the end of the year. Shit can wait.
Oh shoot. I remembered that I had to do something for ya. I'll get that done asap, because I did finish it. Haven't really been able to do anything very lengthy lately because of life stuff.

You have to wonder now how many copies they have to sell to profit from this. Seems like the project went through development hell.

Anyhow, gaming schedule is ruined if this is delayed. I was anticipating for a late November to early December release.

Damn SE. You are so inefficient. :(
They'll still profit from it. FFX was a huge game for its time, at least. I wonder how HD remasters typically sell, though. They tend to be priced reasonably, and I guess the whole "2-3 games for $40" is a bargain for many.

But you're right about their inefficiency.

With that said, there's plenty of stuff coming out this quarter that'll aim to keep me busy. I'm a huge platformer fan, so this quarter's like heaven for me.

Spending a few days inside SE to see how that company operates would be a fascinating exercise indeed.
I seriously don't understand how the people responsible for managing that place can get away with so much incompetence.
I would've been fired 10 times by now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Company ran by idiots and can't meet deadlines. I would understand if this was a big undertaking but not for this game. Hardly a lick of sympathy.

Synless

Well, that sucks. I will be knee deep in next gen by next year and I don't know that I will buy this anymore.

GTA V hould last me a while, let's say till november.. what to play then? OK, kingdomh earts i guess.. but then january. Well.. it better be january, cos in february i'm into 2nd son, and thats ps4.. and i wanna give up on PS3 by then.
Dont see their logic releasing a remaster so late into the generation, so much that its ok into ps4s..

Zephyx

They'll still profit from it. FFX was a huge game for its time, at least. I wonder how HD remasters typically sell, though. They tend to be priced reasonably, and I guess the whole "2-3 games for $40" is a bargain for many.

But you're right about their inefficiency.

With that said, there's plenty of stuff coming out this quarter that'll aim to keep me busy. I'm a huge platformer fan, so this quarter's like heaven for me.

Typically, it's $40. but ~3 years dev time for a HD remaster is bad because the longer time you spend on it, the less profit you'll have. I think of HD remasters as a quick cash-in if the dev time is maximum 1.5 years but it really depends on the game popularity.

Really hoping I had a home console at this point. I am split on buying a PS3 or a PS4. Probably the hardest gaming related choice I have to make. :(

Yuterald

Oh shoot. I remembered that I had to do something for ya. I'll get that done asap, because I did finish it. Haven't really been able to do anything very lengthy lately because of life stuff.

Whoa, did you really play it!? I haven't heard back from anyone I sent PM's to so I figured either people weren't interested or had the time to check it out. Hah, I look forward to hearing what you thought of the demo! Thanks again for taking the time to finish it! =D

Saw this coming. I don't think I even care the darn things anymore.

In cases like these, my mind wanders back to the Final Fantasy XIII postmortem where they listed all of the issues they had during development and communication between departments was listed as one of them. It kind of makes me wonder if they had that same issue when developing ARR (despite ARR looking like it's a success with everyone and their mother working on it + possibly the cash directed to save that thing) and getting this remaster out there.

Of course, it can certainly be the case that for that Vita conference, they came up with the FFX thing at the last minute since it was FFX's anniversary back then, but didn't have anything to show for it.

With that said, I do think they need to evaluate their development process and make some changes here and there to factor for efficiency and polish. This "miscommunication between departments" thing is something I hope they'd rectified since FF13, but sometimes I wonder about that.

I kinda doubt that's the case, seeing the original PDF documents about the game when it was announced and the final game, you can see that the original vision was fulfilled quite right.

Even if they took more time that the original roadmap, it was a quite fast and smooth development considering other MMO took several years into development and the juggernaut team to manage. Also let's not forget that they kept working on 1.0 version.

IMO most SE producers and directors could learn a couple of things from Yoshida work in ARR.

I am not upset. I would much rather it be delayed than be released in a sorry state like Silent Hill or ZoE was. They seem to be busting their ass on making this one of the best HD remasters in gaming history. But yeah, I am sure it's delayed because they are an incompetent joke of a company that hates their fans.

2 1/2 to 3 years for an HD remaster, Grumpy. That's longer than both XIII-2 and LR got by a long shot and about as much time as ARR has gotten. That's longer than the original FF X and X-2 dev time combined. That's more than half of XIII's dev time (as much as 75% of it). They aren't remaking the flipping game, they're improving certain aspects (lighting, textures, etc), replacing character models, and remixing music. Most of the assets are already there, the battle system isn't being messed with, they aren't redubbing, the most amount of new content they are adding as far as I know is a 30 minute audio novel, the cutscenes aren't being redone, and we haven't heard anything about them losing the base code like with KH so it shouldn't take this long. It's inefficient at best.

Valnen

Company ran by idiots and can't meet deadlines. I would understand if this was a big undertaking but not for this game. Hardly a lick of sympathy.

This is a big undertaking. They completely redid the character models, redid textures all over the place, and on top of that they have to localize content that was never localized.

2 1/2 to 3 years for an HD remaster, Grumpy. That's longer than both XIII-2 and LR got by a long shot and about as much time as ARR has gotten. That's longer than the original FF X and X-2 dev time combined. That's more than half of XIII's dev time (as much as 75% of it). They aren't remaking the flipping game, they're improving certain aspects (lighting, textures, etc), replacing character models, and remixing music. Most of the assets are already there, the battle system isn't being messed with, they aren't redubbing, the most amount of new content they are adding as far as I know is a 30 minute audio novel, the cutscenes aren't being redone, and we haven't heard anything about them losing the base code like with KH so it shouldn't take this long. It's inefficient at best.

actually, they did lose base code, so some had to be reworked. but thats not the point, its still taking far far too long.. :(

I kinda doubt that's the case, seeing the original PDF documents about the game when it was announced and the final game, you can see that the original vision was fulfilled quite right.

Even if they took more time that the original roadmap, it was a quite fast and smooth development considering other MMO took several years into development and the juggernaut team to manage. Also let's not forget that they kept working on 1.0 version.

IMO most SE producers and directors could learn a couple of things from Yoshida work in ARR.

Yeah, lot of respect for Yoshida for turning that mess of a game into something respectable with a team as large as 700 in such a short amount of time all things considered.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
You people should try waiting for Blizzard or Valve's games, it's even funnier.

It's ready when it's ready.

magawolaz

HHbmXXu.png

lol

Soriku

Even more impressive when you know that it was made by a skeleton crew of like four people.

Only 2 people worked on it in the beginning, many more people worked on it later on.

A HD remaster on 2014.

Only in SE great minds.

I don't know if blame to idiocy or capability.

KH 2.5 Remix should be announced at TGS and will release in 2014 as well. And they're not the only ones doing this, the Tales of Symphonia collection is out in 2014 in US/EU.

Why not just move this to PS4 altogether...

Cuz this is just a remaster, they've been working on PS3/Vita versions for a while, and they have larger userbases? Just a thought.

Top Bottom