• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age shipments and digital sales top two million

Cassovia

Great news and I'm glad that I'm one of them, but why is title mentioning 2 millions, when trailer indicates 1 million?

FFXII is, to me, one of the worst games to exist. It would have been the worst game in 2006 but Sonic 06 won that award. However this year has the same game but polished with no increase on quality and no terrible sonic game.
You didn't even bother to check on the newly added stuff but you still shitting on the game.

FFXII is, to me, one of the worst games to exist. It would have been the worst game in 2006 but Sonic 06 won that award. However this year has the same game but polished with no increase on quality and no terrible sonic game.

Mind elaborating? Because to me, XIII is one the worst game to ever exist, and not this game lol

Oemenia

Banned
Poor textures and low-poly geometry really suck. But otherwise a great port that makes previous versions obsolete.

Poor textures and low-poly geometry really suck. But otherwise a great port that makes previous versions obsolete.
This could be also why S-E seems really happy with the number...

What I mean is, just 1 million is still pretty good number for a HD port, but I'm guessing the reason why they're esctactic about is because they have a better idea of what 1 million sales in revenue means, relative to how much the port cost.

Obviously they could have done more to improve the port, but they probably also were uncertain of how it would sell and wanted to keep expenses as low as possible. So maybe the excitement is less about the revenue, and it's more about the profit margin they made on it.

Which hopefully bodes well for a few things: maybe they'll see the demand for XII and feel safer investing more in another high demand [re-release.. whether port or remake] like VII; see more demand for other re-releases or re-makes a la VIII or perhaps HD FF Tactics; safer in investing in new Ivalice Alliance games in general.

Most important point being is that the actual sales don't matter per se but that Square Enix was impressed and excited about its success. Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs all sold millions and were disappointments (apples to oranges, I know... but ultimately, if you sell fruit, you just want profits).

So whether FF XII TZA sold 0.5, 1, or 2 million, the real great news is that it sold far above its costs. So hopefully that means more 'Ivalice' and it shows them we don't need every great RPG to be AAA budgets. FFT originally wasn't one anyhow. Give a team a smaller budget to keep the revenue requirements more practical, and make more FF XII or FFT style games, and maybe they'll be rewarded in the same way.

8byte

Banned

...what did you expect?

Also, taking into consideration the hardware this originally ran on, those are incredible textures and geometry .

Tohsaka

I bought it at launch but still haven't gotten around to playing it due to other games coming out I'd rather play instead. My backlog is almost finished though, so I will probably be playing it soon. Really enjoyed the PS2 version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great news. It was a fantastic remaster and it always felt like FFXII never got it's dues.

Top Bottom