• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Amazing New Screenshots [Xanadu, Academia and mini games]

chri5t said:
I said wow.

I won't get myself hyped though. I've learned my lesson after FF13. I'm going in with no expectations!

Totally agree with you on that one. Looks great but im not feeling the mini games.

Grisby said:
I do like that FF take on Blade Runner shot.
Holy crap at those city shots. Is FF13 like this too? I always thought it was more of a fantasy game with some futuristic elements. FF13-2 looks like way into the future and more sci-fi like 5th element and Blade Runner lol. Should've just called this FF15

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
chri5t said:
I thought it was stated in an interview somewhere that it might be wise to save your FF13 save file?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Maybe for an item, but they haven't spoke on it since then, and even then it was always a maybe.

faridmon

Yoshichan said:
Please tell me you're a XIII hater.

Then do me a favor and look at this:

http://www.abload.de/img/6507academia_02_rgbnu9q.jpg[IMG]

Now tell me you're going to hate XIII-2. Please do.

A bunch of [I]beautiful[/I] screens, I still can not fathom how good this game will be.[/QUOTE]
[B]wat[/B]

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:

snip

A bunch of beautiful screens, I still can not fathom how good this game will be.
Because the problem with FF XIII was the visuals?

looks great. the characters don't though :( but oh well, i really loved FFXIII despite its faults and some ridiculous characters so i'm probably going to love this too.

i hope and trust it's as technically polished as FFXIII was, man that game was stunning to watch. ran so smooth too and ZERO glitches or bugs (i put in like 150 hours and had 0 issues)... so rare with big games these days. seriously, can you believe how refreshing it was to play FFXIII after experiencing the pile of shitty broken code known as Fallout: New Vegas? pure bliss.

Famassu

H_Prestige said:
As if you'll be able to explore any of that giant city.
It's 100% certain you can explore them a lot more than the couple of FFXIII's "cities". It'll still probably be more like FFX than some older FFs where you could explore every room of every house.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
iratA said:
Is it still going to have some awesome cutscenes like XIII though?

Depends on your definition of that. There's no high-poly pre-recorded in-engine ones anymore, if that's what you mean.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MetatronM said:
Because the problem with FF XIII was the visuals?
No, the problem with FFXIII was everything according to GAF. And you know it.

I've seen multiple (and by multiple, I mean 10+) posts saying FFXIII was the worst game they've played this generation. And they weren't kidding.
Kagari said:
Depends on your definition of that. There's no high-poly pre-recorded in-engine ones anymore, if that's what you mean.
Wait, what? Are all cutscenes in-game engine now...?

Dunan

Dedication Through Light said:
I love the font they use in game, I wonder if its up for sale or available.

The main text font, which Sony seems to like (it's on the PSP menus) is a variation of Eurostile, which might be on your computer already, and can be found on the internet pretty easily:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=eurostile font&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

It's also famous for being (with a different-looking "1") on the backs of the Chicago Cubs' uniforms:

my-uni35.jpg

Yet another variation (with Eurostile's original "1"; wider and with more rounded corners) is used in the battle screens

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yoshichan said:

I've seen multiple (and by multiple, I mean 10+) posts saying FFXIII was the worst game they've played this generation. And they weren't kidding.

Real time with some CG sequences thrown in.

StuBurns

Banned
Xanadu? Charlie Kane's influence has no bounds.

The city in rain looks awesome, the rest not so much.

EDIT: Wow was that a display of ignorance, I just wiki'd it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
Real time with some CG sequences thrown in.
Oh wow, I had no clue about this... I truly do hate in-game engine cutscenes in some games (especially this one and GTAIV) because they stand out so damn much compared to the good looking cutscenes (not talking about CG). Damn, the difference is so huge, it's gonna bother me throughout the whole game.

Baha

Yoshichan said:

I don't know about other people but if I had one good thing to say about FFXIII, it would be that it had great visuals particularly in cutscenes. My problems with the game lie elsewhere.

Londa

Banned

Depending on if the city has shops and houses along with activities and npc quests will determine if it feels like a real city or just a flashy area you walk through.

A screenshot is just that. A shot of a screen. The way it plays will determine if its going to be good.

Dunan said:
The main text font, which Sony seems to like (it's on the PSP menus) is a variation of Eurostile, which might be on your computer already, and can be found on the internet pretty easily:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=eurostile font&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

It's also famous for being (with a different-looking "1") on the backs of the Chicago Cubs' uniforms:

http://www.cubsbythenumbers.com/my-uni35.jpg[/ig]

Yet another variation (with Eurostile's original "1"; wider and with more rounded corners) is used in the battle screens[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Pretty awesome find.

Yoshichan

Oh and I hope I can race the chocobo-rider Joe and his God-forsaken Teioh in this game ♥

Dunan

Dedication Through Light said:
Thanks! Pretty awesome find.

No problem; I'm a huge font buff and love noticing this stuff. Eurostile was in FFXII, too, but only for the numbers in the inventory screens. The Cubs have had their version since the 1940s, but somehow it manages to look modern no matter what year it is.

Londa said:
Depending on if the city has shops and houses along with activities and npc quests will determine if it feels like a real city or just a flashy area you walk through.

A screenshot is just that. A shot of a screen. The way it plays will determine if its going to be good.

I assume you haven't been keeping up on the game. The cities won't just have shops and NPCs with sidequests; the people will have their own schedule like Radiata Stories. Square really took the "no towns" criticism to heart and I've experienced these towns that feel alive first-hand.

Aeana

I've been avoiding info about this game since I don't want to know too much going in, but I couldn't resist peeking at these. Looks really cool aside from Growpe.

Tizoc

Hmm I take it you can register your own Chocobo? ...and if so, does this mean one could also train/raise them somehow?

BTW I'm planning on making a Kayce avatar, could someone link me to some Kayce images put on the net from the game?

Yoshichan said:

http://www.abload.de/img/6507academia_02_rgbnu9q.jpg[IMG]

A bunch of [I]beautiful[/I] screens, I still can not fathom how good this game will be.[/QUOTE]
Im a FF13 hater. The apple fell FAR from the squaresoft tree. FF12 was freaking godsend. And then they made 13. Bubble gum fantasy is what they turned the franchise into.

Yes, the screens do look nice. Yes, im sure i will hate bubble gum part 2.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Im a FF13 hater. The apple fell FAR from the squaresoft tree. FF12 was freaking godsend. And then they made 13. Bubble gum fantasy is what they turned the franchise into.

Yes, the screens do look nice. Yes, im sure i will hate bubble gum part 2.

Sadly I have to agree with this. The current FF team seems completely incapable of making a cast of characters that aren't either plain uninteresting, or just annoying as hell. While the screens look nice, I am afraid this will just be another game where (if I get it) I will skip all the cutscenes cause of horribly annoying characters or just not caring about the plot, and play for the semi fun battle system and the mini-games if there are enjoyable ones.

Versus is SEs last chance to convince me they can do a decent job on stories and characters, if that doesn't do it, I will have to completely give up on the series.

Aeana

Cirekiller said:
Sadly I have to agree with this. The current FF team seems completely incapable of making a cast of characters that aren't either plain uninteresting, or just annoying as hell. While the screens look nice, I am afraid this will just be another game where (if I get it) I will skip all the cutscenes cause of horribly annoying characters or just not caring about the plot, and play for the semi fun battle system and the mini-games if there are enjoyable ones.

Versus is SEs last chance to convince me they can do a decent job on stories and characters, if that doesn't do it, I will have to completely give up on the series.
Have you taken a look at Type-0? (OT here)

Yuterald

chri5t said:
Why's that?

Seriously? Just watch the last trailer they released. The plot looks like a joke. Time travel, really? FFXIII kind of had cool lore and an interesting mythos, but they are throwing it all away with this dimensional rift/earthquake shit. The game just looks like its been fan serviced out of its ass. Just throw in chocobo races, summons, gold saucer-like mini games, whatever makes the post FF7 fan happy. And the characters? Come on, guys...

Aeana

Yuterald said:
Seriously? Just watch the last trailer they released. The plot looks like a joke. Time travel, really? FFXIII kind of had cool lore and an interesting mythos, but they are throwing it all away with this dimensional rift/earthquake shit. The game just looks like its been fan serviced out of its ass. Just throw in chocobo races, summons, gold saucer-like mini games, whatever makes the post FF7 fan happy. And the characters? Come on, guys...
Time travel is the central element of what most western RPG gamers seem to hold up as the best RPG of all time, so I don't know if you should be surprised that it is appealing to some people in this game as well.

cosmicblizzard said:
I assume you haven't been keeping up on the game. The cities won't just have shops and NPCs with sidequests; the people will have their own schedule like Radiata Stories. Square really took the "no towns" criticism to heart and I've experienced these towns that feel alive first-hand.

Stop being so unbelievably positive, its painful.

Its well known I find FFXIII to be absolute filth and I do not have high hopes for XIII-2. That being said, the fact SE have produced a game myself and other opponents of XIII are willing to give a chance is saying something.

Top Bottom