• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

UraMallas

By the way is there a way I can find out which/how many Wild Fragments I've used? I still need one to open the Archylte Steppe gate but I've no idea where I can find one because I didn't keep track of which ones I've already used.

There is a very real possibility you have missed the one in Archylte Steppe. The area to the far West has one on a small ledge over the cliff. If you pull up the Archylte Steppe map, it's all the way to the West/left of the map. You have to go to the cliff and walk the perimeter, looking down as you do. You'll see a little area with a floating artefact on it. Throw Mog down there and there you go. I believe the cliff is closer to the North part of the cliff but don't quote me on that.

I bring this particular one up because it's the one I missed. I scoured the guides and, for whatever reason, thought I had gotten this one. If this isn't one you're missing, check this guide.

Danj

Also, the slots are retarded. I've just had like over 1200 turns on them but all I got was the 777 thing a couple times. I'm out of coins now, so screw it, I'm gonna go to Archylte Steppe and farm monster materials. At least I got the Encounter Master skill now.

By the way is there a way I can find out which/how many Wild Fragments I've used? I still need one to open the Archylte Steppe gate but I've no idea where I can find one because I didn't keep track of which ones I've already used.

IIRC, the Archylte Steppe gate doesn't require any Wild Artefacts.

ZenaxPure

Any idea what year is the ???AF in Archylte Steppe? I didn't find a single hint what year it is but for sure before 700AF, right?

I honestly assumed it took place before 000 AF given that the NPCs
dress and have tattoos similar to Fang and Vanille
. I figured the ??? meant that they weren't sure of the date since it's so far back.

But like you this is only a guess since I don't remember seeing it stated anywhere in the game.

Danj

There is a very real possibility you have missed the one in Archylte Steppe. The area to the far West has one on a small ledge over the cliff. If you pull up the Archylte Steppe map, it's all the way to the West/left of the map. You have to go to the cliff and walk the perimeter, looking down as you do. You'll see a little area with a floating artefact on it. Throw Mog down there and there you go. I believe the cliff is closer to the North part of the cliff but don't quote me on that.

I bring this particular one up because it's the one I missed. I scoured the guides and, for whatever reason, thought I had gotten this one. If this isn't one you're missing, check this guide.

Sweet, that was it! Thanks!

UraMallas

Sweet, that was it! Thanks!

No problem. I don't know what it is about that one but I thought I had gotten it the first time I came to the Steppe so I overlooked it when going back through to search.

IIRC, the Archylte Steppe gate doesn't require any Wild Artefacts.

It definitely does. It's the last one I unlocked. It goes to Vile Peaks... AF20? I think?

. I figured the ??? meant that they weren't sure of the date since it's so far back.

But like you this is only a guess since I don't remember seeing it stated anywhere in the game.

I also placed Achylte Steppe somewhere in the far distant past. The music, the wild animals, the technology, etc. made me think that this was a bronze-ageish society.

Droplet

One of the NPCs says that they have ancestors from Cocoon, so it's probably after. Not only that but it wouldn't make any sense to
be resolving paradoxes from before Cocoon's fall, because that's when they all started. Or something, the whole Alyssa thing does sort of undo that.

I recall some dudes in the camp saying the settlement was created after they left Cocoon so it is definitely AF.

I guess it is even before 500AF (The Fall). So anywhere between 1AF-499AF.

Trying to get all the monsters. Pretty much just as tedious as I figured it would be, but I keep reminding myself that it's nothing compared to the junk I went through in the first game.

K' Dash

So, I just finished the game, but made another save just before the final battle, will I encounter any dificulty post game to do 100%, should I try to get 100% before going to the final fight?

duckroll

So, I just finished the game, but made another save just before the final battle, will I encounter any dificulty post game to do 100%, should I try to get 100% before going to the final fight?

What? I don't even understand why you have another save. The game just continues after the ending with the same save. You can just keep playing. There are things you actually cannot get without a post-game save.

K' Dash

What? I don't even understand why you have another save. The game just continues after the ending with the same save. You can just keep playing. There are things you actually cannot get without a post-game save.

You know, just in case, lol... and what whas that shit that I can fight monsters that I couldn't posibly beat the first time around?, I killed everything AFAIK, I even got an achievement for that... I don't know, I think I should get the guide, I'm missing like 36 fragments and most of them I have no fucking ide where they are.

Anyway, thanks for the answer duckroll.

Edit: is
Odin
the only Eidolon I can get?

Beat it with all fragments at 51 hours. Dat secret ending
which I messed up by having the speed turned on

I would write up a really long post detailing my opinion of the game, but I don't really have the motivation for that after doing it for XIII. I'm not sure if that means I don't like it as much or it not feeling as "new" has made me a bit biased. Might be a combination of the two. Like I don't even have the motivation to platinum this even though I spent 160 hours (over 2 playthroughs mind you) doing so for the original.

I still find the XIII lore incredibly interesting, but I don't think I really want another game in this universe unless they up the scale a lot. Maybe let us fight some of the goddesses or something.

Also, I am immensely disappointed that
there was not one time period you could travel to that actually took place far in the past with the possible exception of Archylte Steppe. Such a wasted opportunity with Oerba there.

duckroll

I guess I'll do that, I think I can do it before march 6 :p

You might actually want to spread it out. DLC will keep hitting every month until May. If you want to be part of the problem like me, you'll take your time and enjoy the costumes and DLC bosses/costumes as you play the game bit by bit to do all the optional content.

I have a question, idk if this is the right place to being asking, but:

I'm trying to find Clematis, in Yachas Massif - 100af. With battlemania on I can't seem to find that monster. I've tried with encounter master at less and more but no luck. Is there a specific area it spawns around?

EDIT:

Also, as far as the main storyline ending:
Are there multiple endings? or just one?
The first (and so far, the only) time I beat it, I chose to "finish him" so i'm not sure if that decides one ending.
I'm wondering this bc i know theres a secret ending, which requires all 160 fragments

Leeness

Also, gotta say, I enjoyed this much more than 13. I didn't even bother to finish 13. The plot in 13 just felt so morose and took itself so seriously, and it was just awful.

13-2's plot is equally as awful, even more so, but it didn't take itself very seriously and it ended up being kind of charming in all its stupidity. The equivalent of "Oh... honey... no...". I was also laughing myself silly during the ending.
Threw on the Saw theme after Serah died. It was pretty perfect.

Noel was actually really great. I rather liked him. They managed to take the nothing of Serah from the first game and make her decent (she wasn't overly annoying, and had some good moments (late game)
the fact that she saved Noel and not the other way around was good in itself
, and even moments where she had to ~put away her inadequacies and doubt and be strong~).

Battle system was fun, I enjoyed the monsters, despite that most of my enjoyment came from giving them goofy names and silly hats (my sentinal giant rock porcupine thing named Tiffany with a beautiful flower on its head~. Also, my gold chocobo, McQueen, with a crown. Hell yes). Also, wtf, final battle totally kicked my ass a few times before I got down a decent strategy, and it was still kind of hard. I was a little shocked, actually, haha.

I don't think I want to 100% the game...but I am going to go and open all the gates I think, cause...WHAT IS THROUGH THEM?!

Anyway, I was unexcited for this one and was actually going to skip it because I didn't care for 13 at all, but now I'm interested for 13-3 or whatever continuation of the story, cause really. Really at that ending. Haha. I'd like to see the asspulls they will have to pull to fix that.

RedBoot

I recall some dudes in the camp saying the settlement was created after they left Cocoon so it is definitely AF.

I guess it is even before 500AF (The Fall). So anywhere between 1AF-499AF.

I figured it was some time post Fall, but still well before 700AF. Let's say, 600AF just to keep it nice and even. (I don't think any of this is spoilery, but just in case)
I don't remember seeing Cocoon in the skybox, so it would be after it fell. The weird mix of hunter/gatherer society and technology (a damn Weather Machine) kind of fits, since major civilization would have disappeared with Cocoon. You still have some advanced tech lying around, but most of the generation that could build or control it would have already died out. But things were clearly not down to the situation in 700AF yet.

Not really sure why they would block out the year at all, though. It may just be intended as sort of an alternate universe that isn't really tied to any time period, or maybe Square was just lazy.

Danj

Anyone got any tips for beating Yomi? The problem I'm having is
that I can't seem to get it staggered before it goes into that Impenetrable Aura mode (which also resets the stagger meter)
. I tried getting myself a
Twilight Odin
which I figured would help but it hasn't made a huge amount of difference. Yomi doesn't kill me or anything, it's just that I can't seem to do serious damage to it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Anyone got any tips for beating Yomi? The problem I'm having is
that I can't seem to get it staggered before it goes into that Impenetrable Aura mode (which also resets the stagger meter)
. I tried getting myself a
Twilight Odin
which I figured would help but it hasn't made a huge amount of difference. Yomi doesn't kill me or anything, it's just that I can't seem to do serious damage to it.

I've had to change my strategy when it comes to Yomi. It's much easier to just pound him with out COMs or even poison him than it is to stagger and go for homerun damage.

Danj

I've had to change my strategy when it comes to Yomi. It's much easier to just pound him with out COMs or even poison him than it is to stagger and go for homerun damage.

So you're seriously telling me I have to sit here for like 2 hours wailing on Yomi? Because that's what it'd take if I tried to do that, surely there's a better way or a strategy or a weakness or something?

So you're seriously telling me I have to sit here for like 2 hours wailing on Yomi? Because that's what it'd take if I tried to do that, surely there's a better way or a strategy or a weakness or something?

No, if you use poison it will take like 4-5 minutes. Use poison, attack him when you can but don't get too crazy, play defensively.

Foffy

Banned
You might actually want to spread it out. DLC will keep hitting every month until May.

So we know May is the endpoint for DLC? I think I may (pun?) just hold off buying any until it's all out, and then play all of that.

DLC with games has made me reconsider getting them at launch if they're single player/story content.

duckroll

So we know May is the endpoint for DLC? I think I may (pun?) just hold off buying any until it's all out, and then play all of that.

DLC with games has made me reconsider getting them at launch if they're single player/story content.

It's the end point in the sense that in interviews in Jan and Feb, the producer and director both indicate that they have DLC being worked on and planned all the way until May right now. That is not to say that by May they might not have decided to do even more DLC, but for now, we know that there is definitely DLC being worked on all the way until May at the very least.

desu

It's the end point in the sense that in interviews in Jan and Feb, the producer and director both indicate that they have DLC being worked on and planned all the way until May right now. That is not to say that by May they might not have decided to do even more DLC, but for now, we know that there is definitely DLC being worked on all the way until May at the very least.

Thats correct, maybe they check how well the DLC is selling and then will decide if they do more or not. Next week should be Sazh? Then there should be the Lightning story dlc as well as 3-4 yet to be announced coliseum fights in the future.

ZenaxPure

Actually to anyone who thinks poison is the only fast strat: use more imperil. If you switch to Sab before Yomi's bubble ends and get up imperil then go to tri-disaster you stagger him in about 1.5 charges of the ATB meter and then use Cerberus to get in a lot of damage. If you went out of your way to get an overpowered Chichu it's even more comedy in all honesty, when fighting Yomi I usually end up doing about 1/3 of his HP after the first bubble and before the second.

Poison is honestly a pretty slow strat, but it certainly is reliable if you don't feel comfortable with the combat I suppose.

I did not ever notice that NPC, that is interesting! I can't imagine it is decendants of people from Cocoon though, these has to be people who are from the same group of people Fang and Vanille were from for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
The thing that always gets me is some of the female NPCs straight up wear the weird fur skirt thing like Vanille, what are the chances of that otherwise, really?

Charles

On youtube videos i see people with paradigms that have funky letters after them, like Guerrilla-X instead of just Guerrilla.

Being easily impressed and assuming that these paradigms are somehow better, I was wondering how do I go about getting them.

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out

Zoe

You might actually want to spread it out. DLC will keep hitting every month until May. If you want to be part of the problem like me, you'll take your time and enjoy the costumes and DLC bosses/costumes as you play the game bit by bit to do all the optional content.

That's my plan as well. Need to find some way to get my hands on some more JP credit though :\

I figured it was some time post Fall, but still well before 700AF. Let's say, 600AF just to keep it nice and even. (I don't think any of this is spoilery, but just in case)
I don't remember seeing Cocoon in the skybox, so it would be after it fell. The weird mix of hunter/gatherer society and technology (a damn Weather Machine) kind of fits, since major civilization would have disappeared with Cocoon. You still have some advanced tech lying around, but most of the generation that could build or control it would have already died out. But things were clearly not down to the situation in 700AF yet.

Not really sure why they would block out the year at all, though. It may just be intended as sort of an alternate universe that isn't really tied to any time period, or maybe Square was just lazy.

I don't think it's post-fall.
The war that scorched the earth happened right after the fall.

Oh god... collecting the Fragments are so boring!!!

It make me feel sleepy :\

36 hours and only 90 Fragments done, 70 more to go -_-"

Please tell me this is the only boring trophy in the game?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I had fun with it... Probably except for the Serendipitous and Don Tonberry catching trophy (I forgot to turn on the Battle Mania, took me quite some time to get it). Serendipitous required taping the controller or playing the chocobo races, but it won't take up much of your time.

XIII was more boring to platinum due to hours of Adamantoise grinding and item hunting.

ZenaxPure

I had fun with it... Probably except for the Serendipitous and Don Tonberry catching trophy (I forgot to turn on the Battle Mania, took me quite some time to get it). Serendipitous required taping the controller or playing the chocobo races, but it won't take up much of your time.

XIII was more boring to platinum due to hours of Adamantoise grinding and item hunting.

Indeed, despite being "easier" to get the platinum in 13-2 I had more fun with it than 13 since there wasn't endless hours of grinding.

As a random note though, collecting all the fragments will net you most of the trophies in the game anyway, to be honest.

Oh yeah... that stupid Adamantoise grinding, yaicks!

Well, it's just too many of Fragments to collect :\

Why didn't they make them only 100.

Shadow780

Well you have to grind grade 5 materials in this game as well, at least XIII got some amazing set pieces in-between pressing XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

BTW I'm unjustifiably pissed at the dual text version with X confirm, was looking for confirm O in a long long time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well you have to grind grade 5 materials in this game as well, at least XIII got some amazing set pieces in-between pressing XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

BTW I'm unjustifiably pissed at the dual text version with X confirm, was looking for confirm O in a long long time.

My Asian versions use O to confirm... Or maybe it's because my PS3 is Asian and forces O as the "confirm" button. :p

ZenaxPure

Well you have to grind grade 5 materials in this game as well

Not to get all of the trophies, though. Grinding grade 5 materials to make super-powered monsters is entirely optional and pretty much overkill for any of the boss fights. I got my platinum using a yellow chocobo, a healing flan, and a blue chocobo (none at even max level) on every fight but that one terrible fight discussed on earlier pages.

In FF13 on the other hand to get all of the trophies you HAD to grind turtles for hours and hours to get enough gil to max items/weapons.

Shadow780

Not to get all of the trophies, though. Grinding grade 5 materials to make super-powered monsters is entirely optional and pretty much overkill for any of the boss fights. I got my platinum using a yellow chocobo, a healing flan, and a blue chocobo (none at even max level) on every fight but that one terrible fight discussed on earlier pages.

In FF13 on the other hand to get all of the trophies you HAD to grind turtles for hours and hours to get enough gil to max items/weapons.

Good point, but as a collective experience I think I had more fun with XIII.

Good point, but as a collective experience I think I had more fun with XIII.

I gota say, fighting against long gui's for traps wasnt so bad. To me, I always had this mind set of trying to defeat him as fast as I can, and trying to beat my previous time. The ceith stone missions were fun too.

I'm 70 hours and only 158 Fragments done, 2 more to go.
I think doing the 100% bestiary mission isnt so bad, but im having trouble finding this one monster, Clematis, which is pretty annoying. If you dont enjoy hunting then you'd prolly have to kill yourself before completing the mission, finding Clematis will be a pain, imo

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm 70 hours and only 158 Fragments done, 2 more to go.
I think doing the 100% bestiary mission isnt so bad, but im having trouble finding this one monster, Clematis, which is pretty annoying. If you dont enjoy hunting then you'd prolly have to kill yourself before completing the mission, finding Clematis will be a pain, imo
Use a guide. I wouldn't have found a couple of them without one.

elysianalartist

Neo Member
Just started chapter 5 yesterday. Must say that I am enjoying this game so much more than I expected. Hearing all the negative about the story I went in thinking a bit meehh. Whats great are the little corky touches (which weren't in ffxiii) such as chocolina and serendipity that reminded me of the old ps1 & ps2 ff's. This might be the first game I platinum :)

Top Bottom